TA/ Formal night ?

ksmith3975

I am a new cruiser, with my upcoming cruise in November being my 2nd overall cruise and first on Celebrity. I have taken many land vacations and have never used a TA, it seems that the cruise community relys on TA's a lot. Am I missing something? It seems so easy to just book your cruise directly through Celebrity's or any cruise lines website.

Also the formal nights on board, do the veteran cruisers out there feel that maybe cruise lines should possibly do away with them? With checked baggage fees, and bag weights being enforced by the airlines isn't carrying or renting formal wear a hassle for just one or two nights?

Many of us use a travel agent because then we have someone "in our corner" if anything goes wrong. Also, some travel agents offer perks, special onboard credits or a dinner in a specialty restaurant. We can't name any of them here, as it goes against Cruise Critic regulations.

As to your second question, recently there was a Cruise Critic poll about this question. The result, if I remember correctly, was about two to one in favor of keeping formal nights. Not everyone flies to a cruise -- many live near the coast and drive. Some carry branded airline credit cards that have free luggage as a perk. Some even fly first class and have no luggage fees. Some pack light and use the ship's laundry and dry cleaning. Men can rent tuxedos on board, and women can wear the same thing, or a variation, on different formal nights. Some travelers simply look at luggage fees as part of the price of the ticket.

Veteran cruisers often prefer longer cruises, and transatlantic cruises. There are more tuxedos on those itineraries than on the shorter cruisers, so I would venture that veteran cruisers tend to like dressing up for formal nights.

Also the formal nights on board, do the veteran cruisers out there feel that maybe cruise lines should possibly do away with them? With checked baggage fees, and bag weights being enforced by the airlines isn't carrying or renting formal wear a hassle for just one or two nights?

As to your second question, recently there was a Cruise Critic poll about this question. The result, if I remember correctly, was about two to one in favor of keeping formal nights. Not everyone flies to a cruise -- many live near the coast and drive. Some carry branded airline credit cards that have free luggage as a perk. Some even fly first class and have no luggage fees. Some pack light and use the ship's laundry and dry cleaning. Men can rent tuxedos on board, and women can wear the same thing, or a variation, on different formal nights. Some travelers simply look at luggage fees as part of the price of the ticket.

Veteran cruisers often prefer longer cruises, and transatlantic cruises. There are more tuxedos on those itineraries than on the shorter cruisers, so I would venture that veteran cruisers tend to like dressing up for formal nights.

Ok, I am clearly bored this morning or just looking to stir up trouble but ...

If there is a majority of cruisers in favour of formal nights and some of the others believe that "carrying or renting formal wear a hassle for just one or two nights", why not make every night formal? It would suit me ...

Sue

If there is a majority of cruisers in favour of formal nights and some of the others believe that "carrying or renting formal wear a hassle for just one or two nights", why not make every night formal? It would suit me ...

Sue

Maybe it is a bit of both. Lol.... We enjoy sailing on Celebrity which we consider to be a "premium" cruise line. They cater to a crowd that is looking for a certain experience and to that end they offer formal nights and other experiences. I would suggest to those who do not want the experience of a "Premioum" cruise line to sail on another cruise line rather than try and take it away from those of us who do.

We use a travel agent because she often gets us good deals and if there is a probem she is their to take care of it.

You can skip the formal nights and avoid having to carry the formal clothing and shoes. Just dine in the 'cafe' or order in room service and leave the specialty restaurants and MDR to those that do follow the dress protocol on the ship.

I for one love formal nights. This is one aspect that makes cruising special.

People should to learn to pack lighter - especially with the increase of cost of checked luggage and weight. Use laundry services and repeat wear whenever possible. I personally don't see the need to bring more than 2 dressy shoes for the smart casual nights and formal nights. I know people bring tons of shoes. For me, black shoes are black shoes. I bring black pants (silky type) and 2 dressy tops. Once I brought a black cocktail dress and yes, I wore it three times! Dry cleaning is cheaper than a $50 charge to my luggage. I guess I'm one that doesn't care that others see me in the same dress.

Or as the previous poster said, find a different cruise that caters to your needs.

You can skip the formal nights and avoid having to carry the formal clothing and shoes. Just dine in the 'cafe' or order in room service and leave the specialty restaurants and MDR to those that do follow the dress protocol on the ship.

I for one love formal nights. This is one aspect that makes cruising special.

People should to learn to pack lighter - especially with the increase of cost of checked luggage and weight. Use laundry services and repeat wear whenever possible. I personally don't see the need to bring more than 2 dressy shoes for the smart casual nights and formal nights. I know people bring tons of shoes. For me, black shoes are black shoes. I bring black pants (silky type) and 2 dressy tops. Once I brought a black cocktail dress and yes, I wore it three times! Dry cleaning is cheaper than a $50 charge to my luggage. I guess I'm one that doesn't care that others see me in the same dress.

Or as the previous poster said, find a different cruise that caters to your needs.

I am a veteran cruiser with elite status on X and I can assure the original poster that thecan re are a number of us that are anxiously awaiting more choices for formal nights. I don't think that most of us want it done away with for those who enjoy it, but would prefer a different area in the mdr for those of us who choose not to participate in formal wear.

You are wrong about the speciality restaurants, formal wear is not required in them.

It is extremely presumptous and rude of you and the other poster to tell others to choose another cruise line. I hardly think that Celebrity shares your opinion.

As a former travel agent, I can attest to the advantages of using a local agent, especially if you have special needs or problems with the booking. The online agencies do not usually offer the personalized services of a local agent, however, they often have special group rates and credits.

Sue

Then it would not be special

We've never booked a cruise with a TA and we've never had a problem. If we book the cruise we're looking at on our next cruise, we might transfer it to a TA that pays the gratuities.

As to formal night, one of reasons we cruise on Celebrity is the ambiance and part of that is formal night. We enjoy dressing up and having a special night. I agree that those that don't enjoy it shouldn't spoil it for the rest of us. Cruising on another line makes sense. Going to the cafe or using room service are both good options.

We've never booked a cruise with a TA and we've never had a problem. If we book the cruise we're looking at on our next cruise, we might transfer it to a TA that pays the gratuities.

As to formal night, one of reasons we cruise on Celebrity is the ambiance and part of that is formal night. We enjoy dressing up and having a special night. I agree that those that don't enjoy it shouldn't spoil it for the rest of us. Cruising on another line makes sense. Going to the cafe or using room service are both good options.

Why would it "spoil it for us" if some choose to not observe formal night? Why would it bother you if there was a separate dining room for those who choose not to participate? Are you not aware that the speciality restaurants do not require formal wear? Do you not realize that a number of people are becoming less enthused with formal wear and if all were to abandon X as you are suggesting the line would suffer. If the line were to lose all those paying clients I can assure you that the "ambiance" would suffer!!

Conversely AND not to argue your point Patty. We have cruised 25 times, never booked through the cruise lines and have NEVER had a problem. I have gotten some great deals, but more importantly, I have a source to go to if I need to ask a question, make a change, etc.

I think it whatever people are most comfortable with, works best for them.

As to the formal night . . . . I absolutely agree with you.

You will find that more Celebrity passengers tend to use a TA as they do not have the confidence in booking with an online service or directly with X. This is due mostly to the fact that they are senior citizens and have not totally embraced the internet.

I do not support the "in my corner" logic because I have found over the years that people screw up and I want to be in total control of my travels.

I always get the cabin I want along with onboard credits, free travel insurance and many times a better price than what a TA can offer.

As for formal nights, I hope they never go away. In fact add on a few more.

Personally....I choose celebrity specifically because there are numerous good options for avoiding formal night.....HATE it....but I have never understood why my hatred of dressing formal ruins anyone else's cruise experience....please explain

It sure didn't take long for this thread to get people's blood going that's for sure. I shouldn't add my two cents but I guess here I am anyway.

I re-read the whole thread and IMHO I don't feel the two posts which suggested a different cruise were really meant to be rude. The rest of the writing on those posts was friendly enough - it seemed to me to be just the idea that if you don't like the rules on a particular cruise line, perhaps you would be happier chosing a different one. Perhaps I am wrong, but I gave the posters the benefit of the doubt that they were not trying to be nasty.

There was also some heat about the "spoiling it" comment. I think the hope is that many people who cruise Celebrity enjoy formal nights, and they don't want it "spoiled" by being taken away completely. It is frustrating when you have been cruising on a particular line for a long time because you really like it, and new customers come in and try to change things to their liking. There are many cruising choices, and it would be nice if we could keep at least one mainstream cruiseline that remains true to long-standing cruising traditions for the many customers who do enjoy it so much. Again, I could be wrong about intent, but I just didn't read that much venom into the comments.

Personally....I choose celebrity specifically because there are numerous good options for avoiding formal night.....HATE it....but I have never understood why my hatred of dressing formal ruins anyone else's cruise experience....please explain

We totally agree with you. People should not worry about what other people do or wear. We have never seen anyone flagrantly defy the dress code and no one seems as bothered by what seems to upset posters on these threads.

Our very first cruise I believe we just booked online. But when I started planning a big family trip to Alaska, I wanted to talk to someone about all the options and the best way to go. I lucked into Sharon at Cruisedeals. We just totally hit it off!

Then when my dad fell ill last summer and my parents ended up needing to cancel for Alaska, Sharon was there every step of the way and got the insurance claim process started for us. She gave me her personal cell number and we talked all weekend before we left.

Because of her helpfulness and kindness to us all, I will never book another cruise without Sharon. I give her name and number to everyone I know!

PS, put me down as in favor of formal nights. I love the idea of dressing up for dinner! I never get to do it at home!

Why do so many of you people ignore the statements from the anti-formal people that we don't want to take your formal nights away from you? We just want to sail on our line of choice and perhaps have a dining area that serves the same food and sanctions more casual clothing. What is so difficult to understand about that?

it seems to me that Celebrity gets it that Americans, at least, are less and less enamored with formal anything.... again, that is why we choose Celebrity - we can have a good meal in a nice setting without dressing up.... we followed, to the letter, the formal dress code on our cruise last year and were two of the few - we were shoved into a small table for two that felt like it was in the middle of an aisle - i could barely move my elbows.... miserable experience. i also think, fwiw, if i am expected to dress formally, then it should be a fine dining experience - and as much as i love Celebrity, let's all be honest that it is not.

I am a veteran cruiser with elite status on X and I can assure the original poster that thecan re are a number of us that are anxiously awaiting more choices for formal nights. I don't think that most of us want it done away with for those who enjoy it, but would prefer a different area in the mdr for those of us who choose not to participate in formal wear.

You are wrong about the speciality restaurants, formal wear is not required in them.

It is extremely presumptous and rude of you and the other poster to tell others to choose another cruise line. I hardly think that Celebrity shares your opinion.

As a former travel agent, I can attest to the advantages of using a local agent, especially if you have special needs or problems with the booking. The online agencies do not usually offer the personalized services of a local agent, however, they often have special group rates and credits.

We crusie a lot and have seen it all in the main dining room. There are those who come in dressed like slobs Formal night or not and there are those who dress appropriately for any occasion. To suggest setting up a seperate area in the dining room to accommodate those who do not want to participate in formal nights or follow the recommended dress code is in my opinion ridlicious. And I do not think I am rude to suggest to those who do not want to conform to the standards set by Celebrity to either choose a different dining venue on those occassions they do not want to participate. If that doesn't work, choose a cruise line that works for you and let those of us who enjoy the "premium" experience Celebrity provides. No one is twisting any ones arm to sail on any particular cruise line. :D

We crusie a lot and have seen it all in the main dining room. There are those who come in dressed like slobs Formal night or not and there are those who dress appropriately for any occasion. To suggest setting up a seperate area in the dining room to accommodate those who do not want to participate in formal nights or follow the recommended dress code is in my opinion ridlicious. And I do not think I am rude to suggest to those who do not want to conform to the standards set by Celebrity to either choose a different dining venue on those occassions they do not want to participate. If that doesn't work, choose a cruise line that works for you and let those of us who enjoy the "premium" experience Celebrity provides. No one is twisting any ones arm to sail on any particular cruise line. :D

Why is it ridiculous to to request a separate area for those who choose to not dress formally? Why would it affect your "premium" experience if there was such an area? Why would you care? I am not being facetious but am really trying to understand the reasoning of the proformal folks.

Why is it ridiculous to to request a separate area for those who choose to not dress formally? Why would it affect your "premium" experience if there was such an area? Why would you care? I am not being facetious but am really trying to understand the reasoning of the proformal folks.

I don't think there is anything to understand. Celebrity is a "Premium" cruise line which has set a certain standard and offers a cruising experience that is commensurate with that standard. I for one see no reason why that standard should be altered to accomodate someone who does not care for it. There are cruise lines that will offer you a more casual experience if that is what you are looking for. I do not consider my response to be rude, just straight forward and honest. We sail Celebrity frequently because we like what they do and the way the do it and we don't want it to change.

two points on this "premium" thing.... most of the truly premium lines (Oceania, Azamara, Regent) do not have formal nights, so to suggest that formality is part of what it means to be premium just isn't quite right... and again, if Celebrity expects me to be dressed to the nines, i'd sure like to have a better experience than a crowded table in a glorified banquet hall... nothing wrong with the banquet hall, it just isn't really all that upscale....

the truth is, if you like sailing Celebrity, you had better embrace some changes because a younger demographic doesn't care about tradition and isn't going to be told what to do....i am middle aged by anyone's definition (47), so i'm not really talking about myself - but my kids won't cruise when they are adults if it's a stuffy, formal atmosphere.... don't know about other places in the world so much - but i do think this is true of American kids.

two points on this "premium" thing.... most of the truly premium lines (Oceania, Azamara, Regent) do not have formal nights, so to suggest that formality is part of what it means to be premium just isn't quite right... and again, if Celebrity expects me to be dressed to the nines, i'd sure like to have a better experience than a crowded table in a glorified banquet hall... nothing wrong with the banquet hall, it just isn't really all that upscale....

the truth is, if you like sailing Celebrity, you had better embrace some changes because a younger demographic doesn't care about tradition and isn't going to be told what to do....i am middle aged by anyone's definition (47), so i'm not really talking about myself - but my kids won't cruise when they are adults if it's a stuffy, formal atmosphere.... don't know about other places in the world so much - but i do think this is true of American kids.

We choose Celebrity for almost everything else except the dress code. But for Chicago Boy to call it a "premium" cruise line is not correct. It is a mass market cruise line, often less expensive then sister line RCI. I do think Celebrity will have to compromise at some point in the future in some way. A friend of ours works for NCL and asked the CEO at an employee gathering whether they would ever change the very liberal smoking policy. He said they would never do that because it wouldn't work and they would lose money. Well, a month or two later, they have, as have Carnival, Princess, etc. So, you can never say never to change when they are competing for cruise dollars in an especially bad economy.

I agree, Celebrity is hardly a premium cruise line. I am certainly not young (60) and our cruising friends are in the same age bracket or slightly older. Most of us also sail Celebrity in spite of the formal nights, and I think all would agree that the venue and food is hardly worthy of formal wear. I think the mass cruise lines will go with the younger generations who are even less enthused with dressing in what is psuedo formal wear and going to a "banquet hall" for what is not really a fine dining experence. Celebrity is changing with the times, regardless of how we may feel about it.

I agree, Celebrity is hardly a premium cruise line. I am certainly not young (60) and our cruising friends are in the same age bracket or slightly older. Most of us also sail Celebrity in spite of the formal nights, and I think all would agree that the venue and food is hardly worthy of formal wear. I think the mass cruise lines will go with the younger generations who are even less enthused with dressing in what is psuedo formal wear and going to a "banquet hall" for what is not really a fine dining experence. Celebrity is changing with the times, regardless of how we may feel about it.

Running the risk of beating a dead horse to death, if you look up the meaning for a Premium cruise line I think you will find Celebrity fits. I never said it was a Luxury cruise line but it certainly is a cut above many of its competitiors. I think you are missing the point. Dressing up is not about the food. It is about the experience and the food is but a small part of it. I would venture to say many of the passengers eat better on Celebrity than the do at home. :D

Archived