Delta Istanbul to Pittsburgh

Pearl64

We were on the Riviera cruise that since has been cancelled. We already had our air purchased but Oceania has graciously said they would pay the change fee plus any additional cost in the air. We originally were flying Delta because the price was good and they had the best connections. Now, we need to fly from Pittsburgh to Nice and return Istanbul to Pittsburgh. We also need to get from either Nice or Marseilles to Athens but I will do a separate flight for that one. The flights I have found on Delta's website are anywhere from 33 hours to 37 hours. We would fly from Istanbul to JFK and then onto Atlanta where we would have at minimum of a 12 hour layover. Being up for that length of time seems unreal. I don't understand why there is not a flight from JFK to Pittsburgh. Seems crazy to me. What I would like to know is: if we go the Atlanta route, are we permitted to leave the airport and get a hotel room for those hours. I am sure after a transatlantic flight some shuteye would be in order. I have not purchased the tickets yet. Our dates are April 11 outbound and May 9 return.

Thanks for your help. I would use another airline but we are locked into Delta as that is what our original flights were.

Pearl

That's crazy routing for the return. Why can't you take DL 73, leaves IST on 9 May, arrives at JFK, connects to DL2520, which then goes straight to PIT. Travel time for this combination is only 17 hrs., and some minutes. Is this not allowed because the JFK-PIT segment is on DL Connection?

If you have to take the other flight, yes, you can leave the airport and check into a hotel. I'd highly recommend it.

I thought it was crazy also. When I did a search on Delta's website, there were no flights from JFK to PIT. My original ticket was from Athens to JFK to PIT and no crazy long layovers. I have to call Delta to change the ticket but I will not do that until after Irene gets done messing up flights.

I am glad if we have to do that we can leave the airport and yes, I know our luggage will not be with us. We will be prepared.

Pearl

You should be able to use a DL code share flight and there are flights from JFK to PIT on Delta. By the way, use a travel agent the next time. You wouldn't have to deal with this on your own.

I always do my research even when I use a travel agent plus they charge $50 each to book the ticket. That is money I can use on shore excursions. Plus I want control as to where I sit and which flights I take. I did find other flights. I always use the Price button which came up with those ridiculous flights. When I used the schedule button, flights from JFK to PIT came up, so we should be good. I also have to use Delta personnel as this is a changed ticket due to the cancellation of the cruise. My travel agent told me I would need to call Delta to take care of this. I was just trying to see what options I had and the cost since Oceania is paying the difference in the tickets.

Pearl

You should be able to use a DL code share flight and there are flights from JFK to PIT on Delta. By the way, use a travel agent the next time. You wouldn't have to deal with this on your own.

I would love to dump trip planning into a TA's lap if I could find a competent one that did what they were supposed to do.

Archived