Guaranteed veranda stateroom

TWO4THESEA

We are in the process of booking a cruise in Jan 2012 on the Equinox to the Caribbean. The TA advised us to book a guaranteed veranda stateroom, meaning that the actual cabin would not be assigned until we board. My question is: has anyone gone this route in booking? I read where there are some cabins with an obstructed view from the veranda. I believe this is the Continental Deck. Now what would be the chances of getting one of these as opposed to a higher deck without the obstruction. Any info would be appreciated.

When you book a Gty cabin you are taking a chance. In exchange for some savings you are letting the cruise line place you where they want. Usually that is a cabin they could not otherwise sell. If the cruise you are on tends to sell out the balcony cabins there is slim chance you will get a better cabin.

An obstructed balcony view tends to mean that your cabin is more toward the bow. You still get the view but 1 or 2 feet on each side of your balcony is an actual wall. The veranda opening is smaller.

We didn't mind the "obstruction" which was hardly noticable although it did cause the balcony to lose sun a bit faster than a fully open balcony. It's great if you want privacy.

The trick with guarentee cabins is knowing you can live with the worst cabin in that catagory. If stairs or elevators or laundry rooms or being under the disco are going to bug you & ruin your cruise, don't book a guarentee; pay the extra money & select your own cabin.

Also, you almost always know the cabin before you sail. Maybe the TA meant that it can be that late, not that it always is that late before you know which cabin. Sounds like a misunderstanding.

I happen to love guarantees, the excitement of getting a possible free upgrade. like a christmas present.

I have only booked a gty cabin once and got a cabin all the way at the front of the ship on the lowest deck possible for that catagory. I would say if you would be unhappy if you got an obstructed balcony then don't take the chance.

our first ever cruise we did this. we were going to be happy with whatever we got . ended up with a lovely balcony on the highest deck that had them for basically the price of a balcony on the lowest deck.

that's the key.. if you really have to have a certain area of the ship(fore, aft middle) , or a certain cabin, then do not go GTY. if your cruise will be ruined because of an obstruction no matter how small, then do not go GTY. if you absolutely want to be near the pool( or far far FAR away from it) well.. you get the gist..

Archived