Suite or Balcony on IOS

Me again! Thank goodness for CC and the forums. DH and I are booking Indy for our first cruise with RCI. Its a 60th birthday celebration and just wanted to know if the Junior Suites are worth the extra money (£400PP) rather than a balcony. As its DHs birthday in Feb I am wanting to spoil him a bit. We have always cruised Princess before, (balcony) and this year are doing Celebrity for the first time. Are there any extras that you dont get with an ordinary balcony cabin or would I be better off putting the extra cost of a junior suite towards the bar bill?

Hiya. We have had balconies, js's and gs's. Personally and that's just my opinion for that price and the fact that it's just the two of you I would stay with the balcony. A js is nice as room is bigger and you get double credit points but that's about it oh and I think a robe. If there were more than 2 of you I would say yes. Spend the money in the bar instead!

Now, if that price was for a GS I would definitely say yes so keep an eye on the prices as they do move around a lot.

You will have a wonderful cruise on the Indy whatever you choose I'm sure!

JS Gives you Priority boarding, bath, toiletries, bath robe, slippers, a larger cabin, more wardrobes thats about it.

If you like a drink why not purchase one of the new drinks (Beer,wine and or Shorts) packages instead.

As said though if you can go to a GS there are a lot of extra perks, but you are paying for them.

Enjoy the cruise

g

Junior Suite is not considered a true suite....they are just a larger balcony cabin furnished the same as a normal balcony...a JS is 1.5X the size of a standard balcony, very nice sized cabin with large walk-in closet and full tub in bath.....Suite perks start with Grand Suites and above.

Unlike the others, I would go for the JS.

We tend to spend more time in our cabin than most people. We find the JS has quite a bit more space. I love the walk in wardrobe. Nice to get double points.

Having said this, if you do not spend much time in your cabin maybe the balcony would be best for you. Really only you can decide.

Just returned end July from our first cruise on IOS and had a JS. We splurged a bit as silver wedding anniversary this year and a big birthday for me. We are currently looking to book for next year and like you undecided about balcony or JS. We did love the JS but when we were nosily looking into balcony rooms on our corridor we did wonder if the JS was worth so much more money as balcony cabin didn't look much different. You have started us dithering again as had almost decided to book JS. I really don't think you will be disappointed but just the money to think about! I think our balcony was bigger and if you like to sit/lie out there this might be a consideration. Whatever you decide enjoy and I must make my decision and book soon. x

Just returned end July from our first cruise on IOS and had a JS. We splurged a bit as silver wedding anniversary this year and a big birthday for me. We are currently looking to book for next year and like you undecided about balcony or JS. We did love the JS but when we were nosily looking into balcony rooms on our corridor we did wonder if the JS was worth so much more money as balcony cabin didn't look much different. You have started us dithering again as had almost decided to book JS. I really don't think you will be disappointed but just the money to think about! I think our balcony was bigger and if you like to sit/lie out there this might be a consideration. Whatever you decide enjoy and I must make my decision and book soon. x

We are in a E1 Balcony midships our inlaws are in a D1 aft section the D1 is a little bigger and it will be interesting to see how much difference there is in a E1 v's D1, so if you are thinking other than a JS then maybe the D1 would do, if I had known at the booking stage about the D1 think I would have gone for it but in midships.

Was on the Independence in July and had a Grand Suite which we loved. It was our silver wedding anniversary so we splashed out on the Grand Suite, loved the suite and all the suite enhancements so if you can stretch to it go for the suite. On our first cruise we had a D2 balcony on deck 8 and was very happy with that room and location also.

Thanks all so much for your input. You wont believe it but after discussions with kids and TA I decided to put the disappointment of not going to the caribbean behind us, went all out for a big celebration and booked a Grand Suite! Kids said not to think about the money so I havent. I want to make DHs 60th birthday one to remember in a good way after all he has been through in the last year or so. He knows we have a balcony cabin but wont know about the Grand Suite until he arrives. I cannot wait to see his face! Lots of people probably will not realise how much something as little as this can mean, but DH is not one for spending money on himself but deserves a little spoiling. Coupled with the extra special pressie he has got coming for his birthday halfway through the cruise I think this is going to be one he will always remember. Thanks again.

Thanks all so much for your input. You wont believe it but after discussions with kids and TA I decided to put the disappointment of not going to the caribbean behind us, went all out for a big celebration and booked a Grand Suite! Kids said not to think about the money so I havent. I want to make DHs 60th birthday one to remember in a good way after all he has been through in the last year or so. He knows we have a balcony cabin but wont know about the Grand Suite until he arrives. I cannot wait to see his face! Lots of people probably will not realise how much something as little as this can mean, but DH is not one for spending money on himself but deserves a little spoiling. Coupled with the extra special pressie he has got coming for his birthday halfway through the cruise I think this is going to be one he will always remember. Thanks again.

Good luck on keeping the GS a secret! We were able to upgrade from an E2 to a GS on the Mariner from Rome in October for only $50 per person. That shows how much they reduced the prices after final payment date!!!

I had planned to keep it a secret from my husband until check in when we walked up to the suite line, but I couldn't even make it a week before spilling the beans! We've always cruised with our 2 kids (teenage and then older) in the same OV room with us - don't know what we're going to do with all the room!!! Can't wait!

You will love the GS and its perks,especially the free drinks in the Suite Concierge Lounge.

When you arrive you will still have priority boarding but the extras are great..

In the cabin will be a leather bound book with all the extra perks, make sure you use them and the concierge is a great help in arranging tours of the ship, info on ports, Tender and shuttle tickets. Plus the reserved areas, breakfast area, meals, in your room etc etc

Have a great time

j

Good luck on keeping the GS a secret! We were able to upgrade from an E2 to a GS on the Mariner from Rome in October for only $50 per person. That shows how much they reduced the prices after final payment date!!!

I had planned to keep it a secret from my husband until check in when we walked up to the suite line, but I couldn't even make it a week before spilling the beans! We've always cruised with our 2 kids (teenage and then older) in the same OV room with us - don't know what we're going to do with all the room!!! Can't wait!

Some people just have no class:rolleyes:It would be nice to let someone be happy without taking a cheap shot at them...good for you and you $50 upgrade:rolleyes:

What great advice from the kids. It is such a wonderful suprise for your husband - we hope it is everything you wish for and then some. Have a fabulous vacation.

I do hope you have a lovely time in October. Please make sure you post on your return I would love to know if it was as good as I hope. I am soooooo excited, and have to go all the way till February 2012 before I can let it out!I have told everyone that does not have contact with my hubby (Work colleagues are sick of hearing about it) just so I dont mention it at home. I am quite good at surprises though. For his 50th I managed to arrange a surprise cruise, changing his work schedule (which involved telephoning customers and explaining the situation and postponing jobs for 2 weeks) Not one customer complained and all were excited to be part of the secret. One of his friends lent us his almost brand new Mercedes for the journey to the airport complete with liveried chauffeur and sponge hands to wave to people as we passed. He thought his present was the car journey to the airport and a hotel in the Canary Isles. Boy was he surprised when we boarded a plane to Barbados and could not almost had a heart attack when we arrived at the cruise ship! I love doing nice things for him. I get more of a kick out of it than he does sometimes! :D Thanks for all the advice. I will make sure we use all the perks and am looking forward to two of us in all that space!

Hi all - I am thinking of booking to sail on the independence of the seas (never sailed with RC before) in February 2012, to Spain and Canaries, can anyone tell me what the weather is generally like during this month in the Canaries, I dont want to be cold, we have only sailed in the Caribbean before (twice) so not sure what to do but fancy something different, and is this a good ship? Any replies would be gratefully received.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't be sure of weather in Feb but can say Independence is fabulous. Have nothing to compare it to (other than school cruise many years ago) but we loved it. Google tells me weather will be mid to high 20's. Not carribean weather but pleasant I would think. In England we would be around 0-10 degrees so I would love it!! Have a great time.

Archived