Making the most of our day in venice

yorkiescot

A couple of months ago I read avery interesting and detailed post giving suggestions for enjoying a day in Venice. It contained lots of information on where to buy tickets for vaporetti and several intersting walks away from the main tourist areas.

We will be joining the Star Princess in Rome on Saturday and it would be great if someone could help me find this post.

YS

I don't know if this is what you are looking for? I saved this information to a file, but can't find the original post and don't know who to credit for it....sorry!!! I also can't format it properly but here goes...

PORT DAY IN VENICE Itinerary Suggestion:

Starting at the the cruiseship in the morning: Eat breakfast on the ship. Bring a hat (if the sun bugs you) and a map you've already gotten familiar with.

Walk out of the cruiseship terminal (there may be a free shuttle). Once you are out of the cruise terminal, walk to the PeopleMover station, a new elevated monorail. Buy three 1 euro tickets from a ticket machine (cash)and take the PeopleMover to Piazzale Roma. (public restrooms at P. Roma)

At Piazzale Roma, walk left out of the PeopleMover exit for a couple hundred yards to the ticket booths for the the vaporetti (water buses). You have to go past assorted bus ticket booths and down some gentle stairs to get to the water where the vaporetti booths are. Buy three 24 (12 hr pass might not last long enough) hour passes (they take creditcards; let your card company know when & where you'll be traveling. I don't like to have any cash out in P. Roma.) Walk a few more steps to the vaporetto stops, find the red-circle-2 symbol, activate your pass cards (watch other people do this) and get on vaporetto #2 to Piazza San Marco. #2 runs in a circle both clockwise & counterclockwise; you take the clockwise route. See map here:*

http://www.venice-rentals.com/info/route-02.php

We like to sit on the open-air seats at the back of the vaporetti; you might give it a try.

The whole process of getting from the ship to sitting on the #2 vaporetto can be stressful; just relax and know you have plenty of time.

In my opinion you can just take the #2 all day and not worry about the other lines. On the above map you'll get on at P. Roma. The clockwise route will take you down the Grand Canal to Piazza San Marco, where you'll get off. At this hour of the morning it shouldn't be too hot or crowded. Also the lines to get into the church and the Doge's Palace should be short. You can also aimlessly check out the streets around the church & square, as well as the pleasant views along the Canal. It's hard to be lost for long.

Once done, walk from P. San Marco to Rialto bridge. It's a wander, there are a few ways to get there, and don't worry about getting lost, there are directional signs painted on the buildings. There are also shops & stuff on the way, and public restrooms near San Marco. Also many ATMs; I use my regular bank card to make withdrawals.

On the Grand Canal by the Rialto bridge on the St Mark's side (before you cross over) there's an affordable self service cafeteria if you want lunch or something to drink. It has a restroom for patrons. More shops, etc., on both sides of the bridge.

Cross over the Rialto bridge. At this point because I like art & churches I'd walk over to the Basilica di Santa Maria dei Frari. From there I'd go see the art around the corner at the Scuola Grande di San Rocco.

Time for sitting down & having light refreshments at Campo Santa Margherita. After this break, head to Accademia Bridge (public restroom). From Accademia you can:

Walk over to Santa Maria della Salute church (the big white-domed one);

Or cross over Accademia bridge and take a gondola ride right on the other side (I think it's worth the money to silently glide in those narrow side canals);

Or get on the #2 vaporetto to:

The city park at Giardini stop and then stroll along the water back to San Marco;*

Or out to the Lido stop, and stroll along the lovely Gran Viale Santa Maria Elisabetta with a gelato. Walking to the beach and back is pleasant and not too long.

Or to the San Giorgio and Redentore stops to visit the Palladian churches of the same names. Depending on the time of day, just up from the Redentore stop is the Palanca stop which has affordable places to eat & drink.

For dinner I suggest taking the #2 (or walking) to the Zattere (or Palanca) stop, and dining at one of the outdoor restaurants there. The breeze is welcome, the view across the Giudecca Canal is gracious, and the prices for pizza are not paralyzing (but check the menus). If you dine at Zattere you might take the #2 across the Giudecca to the Palanca stop, and stroll over to the Hilton Molino Stucky for a pricey drink and included hors d'oeuvres at the rooftop bar with its splendid views (again, I thought it was worth it).

Once your day is done, if it's not too late take the #2 loop all the way around to see the Grand Canal at night before getting off at P. Roma: it's more mysterious at night. If you just want to get on the ship, take the #2 straight back to Piazzale Roma, and then the peoplemover back to the cruise terminal.

If I have a point, it's to stick with the #2, and strike a balance between walking and vaporetting around.

Making the most of a day in Venice is just as easy as walking around. The suggestion to buy a vaporetta pass is valid, it affords you time to rest and gets you around the Grand Canal. I do suggest that your first walk is from the St Lucia train station to St Marks square. It takes you throught he heart of Venice over bridges and past or through street markets. You will walk past many resturants and tratorrio's too and they all have their menus outside for you to look at.

One thing to know about the sinage and directional arrows is that they are up high on the walls of the buildings. You often really have to look for them but don't be discouraged, they are there.

Making the most of a day in Venice is just as easy as walking around. The suggestion to buy a vaporetta pass is valid, it affords you time to rest and gets you around the Grand Canal. I do suggest that your first walk is from the St Lucia train station to St Marks square. It takes you throught he heart of Venice over bridges and past or through street markets. You will walk past many resturants and tratorrio's too and they all have their menus outside for you to look at.

One thing to know about the sinage and directional arrows is that they are up high on the walls of the buildings. You often really have to look for them but don't be discouraged, they are there.

We have a tour scheduled for the Doge's Palace and am trying to plan accordingly. How long do you estimate it takes to walk from the train station to St Mark's? (vs. vaporetto)

Archived