Fall 2011 Season of DWTS Formal Gowns

KandCsailing

I really didn't like the way Max was pushing Hope around during the group rehearsals. And I LIKE Max. He really seemed to have an attitude (more so than usual).

I agree , do you think he is always like that, pushing , etc. I am not a fan of his anyway.

Hope seemed to be happy that the other dancer did a stand in for Max this week to teach her the steps , etc. can't say I blame her.

The show will start soon here on the west coast , really don't have too much to say re the gowns they were all too much costume. But appropriate for the show I guess.

Cori

please stop!!:)

Good point.

We have gone on the Queen Mary a few times and the live orchestra is just so enjoyable to dance to. However in competition I absolutley prefer music recorded where I can count on perfect timing....

As a viewer of DWTS though I like the live music.

As a social ballroom dancer, give me a 17 piece orchestra in Tuxes or Dinner Jackets playing standards in correct tempo and I'm one happy camper. The majority of music that we dance to monthly is taped.

On a related subject, if you have an interest, is that it has been decided on another board, that the best cruiseline dancing is on P&O, Cunard, Costa, HAL, and Princess.

Lens comment to JR that the tango is the easiest dance because it is all heel leads just made me laugh.... Are you kidding me, having to recreate energy with everyone of thoes heel leads is what makes the dance one of the hardest.
Amen to that Smooth, we dance American and are just getting into the Argentine Tango. The footwork in the Argentine is incredible as that's the majority of the dance. American envolves upper body with a lot of open and "showy" forms and head whips (think "Scent of a Woman"). They dance International on the show of course, all in a closed hold which I find limiting.

We watched the results show last night after returning from an hour of Argentine Tango; not quite at Derek's level however!!:)

please stop!!:)

As a social ballroom dancer, give me a 17 piece orchestra in Tuxes or Dinner Jackets playing standards in correct tempo and I'm one happy camper. The majority of music that we dance to monthly is taped.

On a related subject, if you have an interest, is that it has been decided on another board, that the best cruiseline dancing is on P&O, Cunard, Costa, HAL, and Princess.

We watched the results show last night after returning from an hour of Argentine Tango; not quite at Derek's level!!:)

Really hacks me off that David got dumped. Nancy has outlasted her talent many weeks ago.

I think you can add Crystal to the list of great cruise line dancing. They have a professional dance team on board for every cruise that give lessons on every kind of ballroom dancing. Plus, they have gentlemen hosts that dance with the solo ladies, or ladies who are married to men who don't dance, on every cruise. Their lessons are always packed solid. And, if you book one of their special music cruises, they have wonderful live bands such as the Glenn Miller Orchestra, The Tommy Dorsey Band and others. The dance floors are totally jammed on those cruises.

Really hacks me off that David got dumped. Nancy has outlasted her talent many weeks ago.

I think you can add Crystal to the list of great cruise line dancing. They have a professional dance team on board for every cruise that give lessons on every kind of ballroom dancing. Plus, they have gentlemen hosts that dance with the solo ladies, or ladies who are married to men who don't dance, on every cruise. Their lessons are always packed solid. And, if you book one of their special music cruises, they have wonderful live bands such as the Glenn Miller Orchestra, The Tommy Dorsey Band and others. The dance floors are totally jammed on those cruises.

That is good information in the event that I do win the lottery!!:) I was under the impression that the super premium lines did no formal evenings, and you are the first to mention actual dance cruises. How large was the floor?

We have enjoyed that Glenn Miller "rendition" Orchestra one evening.

I did mention to MSGCurry, that as I'm retired and she still works at NASA, I could become a "gentleman dance host" on one of the cruise lines, as several use those. She has not been receptive to that idea!!:rolleyes:

I would love to see Brooke try to dance in any gown that she has worn lately.:D

I have also read posts on the great danicng on Crystal... For me the length of the cruises and prices also make it out of my reach.

I have seen twice so far on Nancys show that she devoted an entire show to questions to her and partner... She has a definite fan base advantage that she is putting to good use!!

I predict we are going to see her in the final 3 because of this advantage... Will see.

Smoothdancer, have you thought about applying to Crystal to be their dance team? Seeing how they have a dance couple on every cruise, they do go through a lot of couples during the year, for their two ships. You get your cruise paid for, you just have to teach a class usually once a day, on sea days, you can do private lessons for an extra fee, that you keep, and do one dance show in their theater during your cruise. It's a great gig if you can do it. And now, Crystal is doing shorter cruises of 7 to 10 days.

GCurry, the ships have different size dance floors, depending on the venue. But they are a good size, especially knowing that Crystal's ships carry under 1000 passengers. The dance floors have never seemed crowded. And on some cruises, they dance on the stage of the show lounge, which is very large.

Kitty, you flatter me, blush!

Actually a few years back I taught my SIL and BIL a rumba and chorographed thier wedding dance. I was amazed just how hard it was to transfer all this knowledge I have to them, it is not easy to teach dance!

Watching DWTS sometimes I see who can teach and who not so much so.

But anyway I am a amatuer competitior. If I was to teach or earn over 3K in one year it would put me in a professional category, sigh, a level I wont reach in my lifetime, so working a cruise is not really an option for me. Thats OK, I dont mind being both the student and a cruise ship passenger!!

I was not as disappointed as you all with David going home. In my mind it is just a matter of weeks left now who goes home first and that the competition comes down to Ricki and JR. Of these two I really dont think I can say who the better dancer is. And how interesting that I think they have the 2 best dance teachers and chorographers of the pros so there is no unfair advantage for either of them.

I too am not happy about David going home last night, should have been Nancy , really who is voting for her, I did not think that she had such a following , but you are right maybe it is because of him. Anyway not happy about that at all.

My husband just read in the paper this morning that JR is going to be Grand Marshall of the Rose Parade out here in Pasadena, and will be throwing out the first ball at the Rose Bowl. That is quite something they are pretty careful who they choose for this , the parade has a huge viewing audience on TV , so I say good for JR.

Cori

I definitely agree it will (should?) be Ricki and JR in the finale--and that they have the best teachers.

The rest all are just a step below them and while I agree Nancy did not dance as well as David, it's just a matter of time.

Kudos to JR for being chosen for the Rose Parade and baseball pitch. He is a true hero and rold model.

To keep this legit, I didn't mind Brooke's dress--yes it was very short, but I actually think this length looks better on her than knee length. But, it was nothing special, just another glittery sheath worn too tight. Won't work for me on a cruise but some young thing could rock it.

I would have rather had Nancy go home this week, but to me David and Hope are not finals material either. I keep waiting for a lightbulb to go on for them where all of a sudden they will get the whole grace and rhythm thing.

I still believe that JR is the best dancer and maybe has the best teacher/partner. Ricki is good, but Derek outshines her to me. He puts too much flash in his parts. Maybe not on purpose, he`s just that good of a dancer.

GCurry, the ships have different size dance floors, depending on the venue. But they are a good size, especially knowing that Crystal's ships carry under 1000 passengers. The dance floors have never seemed crowded. And on some cruises, they dance on the stage of the show lounge, which is very large.

Thanks Kitty, that's good information to know. We have seldom been crowded on a cruise dance floor lately, not many people are dancing these days. This past Feb. was a dance cruise on the Voyager, I don't think that we'll do one of those again, but perhaps. The special afternoon tea dances overflowed the floor on the biggest venue on the ship.

I'm with Smooth, teaching dance would be hell. It seems that you have step teachers and technicians. We just dropped a Tech for a step teacher, although he seems to move you through a sequence of steps so that you have greater continuity throughout the dance. I don't care that it's fifth foot position, just show me the step and the count, and let me do it. I, of course, dance several levels below Smooth as a social dancer, but I'm good with that.

Most cruise instructors are just part of the show cast and teach a few basics. Cunard seems to have some pros on board however.

[snip]

(What tempo, Captain? A tango! Where is that from?:D)

Ding ding ding!! I know this one -- It's from "Peter Pan"! ("To cook a cake quite large, and fill each layer in between, with icing mixed with poison, till it turns a tempting green ...")

So what do I win? :D;)

I agree that Derek does outshine Ricki, but I think he's not quite as blatant about it as Mark is.

Thanks Kitty, that's good information to know. We have seldom been crowded on a cruise dance floor lately, not many people are dancing these days. This past Feb. was a dance cruise on the Voyager, I don't think that we'll do one of those again, but perhaps. The special afternoon tea dances overflowed the floor on the biggest venue on the ship.

I'm with Smooth, teaching dance would be hell. It seems that you have step teachers and technicians. We just dropped a Tech for a step teacher, although he seems to move you through a sequence of steps so that you have greater continuity throughout the dance. I don't care that it's fifth foot position, just show me the step and the count, and let me do it. I, of course, dance several levels below Smooth as a social dancer, but I'm good with that.

Most cruise instructors are just part of the show cast and teach a few basics. Cunard seems to have some pros on board however.

The dance couples that Crystal hires are all professional ballroom dancers, many of whom are former champions. They put on really great shows.

Ding ding ding!! I know this one -- It's from "Peter Pan"! ("To cook a cake quite large, and fill each layer in between, with icing mixed with poison, till it turns a tempting green ...")

So what do I win? :D;)

A free DWTS dance lesson, doing a Viennese Waltz to Inna Gaddda Da Vida!!

We'll probably get to see it as a Paso!:)

I agree that Derek does outshine Ricki, but I think he's not quite as blatant about it as Mark is.
I agree, Mark is the worst about trying to take the camera off his partner.

Thanks Kitty, with Crystal you pays yer money, you sees the elephant!!

A free DWTS dance lesson, doing a Viennese Waltz to Inna Gaddda Da Vida!!

We'll probably get to see it as a Paso!:)

Yeah, they'd probably find a way to put it in 6/8 time and muck it up altogether! (Ah yes, Iron Butterfly -- Takes me back to my youth!)

Followed by a tango to "Stairway To Heaven"! :D

Monday, October 7, 2011:

Brooke is wearing a metallic shiney silver print with a black background. Her hair is in a sleek pony tail or braid tied at one side of her head.

I do not like this print. It looks like big silver worms crawling all over her dress. The bodice has one shoulder and that shoulder has a ruffle or bow at the top. Honestly, to me, the dress looks inexpensive...so it is probably worth at least $5000. :D

Monday November 7. Brooke's dress is different, in a good way. It's a short, one shouldered, heavily sequined dress, in silver and black. I think it's supposed to be an animal print look.

I'm not at all liking what I can see of Carrie Ann's dress. From what I can see, it has a large X over the breast area. Her hair is ironed very straight with long bangs.

Archived