Is tipping the maitre d a standard practice in land bound restaurants?

Bevv

I thought he said $5 per couple. If 25% tip the them, that's $2,812.50 per cruise. If they do 48 cruises (take 4 weeks off), that's still $135,000 in tips per year. I think this is one of those areas where Heald has "missed the boat" or maybe the ship, in his case.

Did you have the same math teacher my boss had? He seemed to think that we had too many hours even though 40 of them were 8000 miles away and unpaid for 2 1/2 weeks. :eek: But I degress. I thought they had more than 1 per ship. I think 25% is a little optimistic too. Do all the ships that Carnival sails carry 5000 passengers? Don't they go on holiday for 8 weeks a year?

We are 0 for 2 in even SEEING a maitre D on a ship lol, I couldnt have picked either out of a lineup of 2 people, so no we havent yet tipped one yet.

Same with us only for 6 cruises.

Although on one of them , the guy showed up on the last night glad handing everyone and making a little snappy patter. The only thing he really did was get in our servers way of serveing us dessert

He wasn't getting an envelope just for that .

Very few restaurants have them anymore. I remember my aunt reminding me to tip the maitre'd at one of the fine restaurants in the city prior to my senior prom. It was worth the few dollars considering the circuitous route we took to our table in the half empty room to garner all of the compliments we received. Even if I make the reservation online and noted it as a special ocassion or made a request I still will tip the most appropriate person.

I'm not sure what you think a Maitre D' is, but every single restaurant that seats customers has one (or more).

Here's a description from Wikipedia:

it is the person in charge of assigning customers to tables and dividing the dining area into areas of responsibility for the various servers on duty. …. The maître d'hôtel may also be the person who receives and records reservations for dining, as well as dealing with any customer complaints….. In small restaurants, the post might also be known as the headwaiter or host. … the position may be a part of the role of a manager or supervisor in charge of the "front of the house" operations.

And I don't get your story. Were you being complimented by other guests who wanted to tell you how splendid they thought it was that you tipped the head waiter?

Did you have the same math teacher my boss had? He seemed to think that we had too many hours even though 40 of them were 8000 miles away and unpaid for 2 1/2 weeks. :eek: But I degress. I thought they had more than 1 per ship. I think 25% is a little optimistic too. Do all the ships that Carnival sails carry 5000 passengers? Don't they go on holiday for 8 weeks a year?

I don't think it's as much of a math problem as it is your understanding of the maitre d' position on a cruise ship. On most cruise lines, there is one maitre d' and he or she manages the entire food service operation. Each restaurant has a head waiter. There may be one for upstairs and one for downstairs, depending on the cruise line. I think Carnival has either one or two assistant headwaiters as well per dining room. I could be mistaken. They are the ones you go to when a member of your party has a food allergy or if you have anytime dining and want a table with an oceanview (sadly, there are none in Magic's anytime dining room).

I'm not sure what you think a Maitre D' is, but every single restaurant that seats customers has one (or more).

Here's a description from Wikipedia:

it is the person in charge of assigning customers to tables and dividing the dining area into areas of responsibility for the various servers on duty. …. The maître d'hôtel may also be the person who receives and records reservations for dining, as well as dealing with any customer complaints….. In small restaurants, the post might also be known as the headwaiter or host. … the position may be a part of the role of a manager or supervisor in charge of the "front of the house" operations.

And I don't get your story. Were you being complimented by other guests who wanted to tell you how splendid they thought it was that you tipped the head waiter?

According to who? Wikipedia? That sounds like the receptionist. For a proper definition of the Head Waiter and his duties and capabilities would require me to open several bound volumes thus requiring too much typing for little satisfaction because you most likely wouldn't get it anyway. Gaps, whether generational or informational are just to wide to leap.

You mentioned that her TA handled the linking. That seems to imply your booking was not done in the same manner. I'm curious if the TA/other booking had anything to do with not being linked.

No I don't think so, because when we approached MD and showed him his or sail and sign cards, he looked us up in his system and said that we should have been put together at the same table (he saw that our reservations were linked). What he failed to mention that it was his job to do that.

I don't think it's as much of a math problem as it is your understanding of the maitre d' position on a cruise ship. On most cruise lines, there is one maitre d' and he or she manages the entire food service operation. Each restaurant has a head waiter. There may be one for upstairs and one for downstairs, depending on the cruise line. I think Carnival has either one or two assistant headwaiters as well per dining room. I could be mistaken. They are the ones you go to when a member of your party has a food allergy or if you have anytime dining and want a table with an oceanview (sadly, there are none in Magic's anytime dining room).

I agree. And it is the asst. headwaiter that we choose to tip or not tip. We only tip for something extra from him so consequently he most often doesn't receive a renumeration from us. Does Magic have a separate anytime dining room?

No I don't think so, because when we approached MD and showed him his or sail and sign cards, he looked us up in his system and said that we should have been put together at the same table (he saw that our reservations were linked). What he failed to mention that it was his job to do that.

Thanks for your reply.

I thought he said $5 per couple. If 25% tip the them, that's $2,812.50 per cruise. If they do 48 cruises (take 4 weeks off), that's still $135,000 in tips per year. I think this is one of those areas where Heald has "missed the boat" or maybe the ship, in his case.

i find it very hard to believe that the md's make this kind of money.

According to who? Wikipedia? That sounds like the receptionist. For a proper definition of the Head Waiter and his duties and capabilities would require me to open several bound volumes thus requiring too much typing for little satisfaction because you most likely wouldn't get it anyway. Gaps, whether generational or informational are just to wide to leap.

Uh, that was my point. They often call that person a "host" or, more commonly in my experience "hostess", but ultimately that person is the Maitre D' given the functional definition.

Odd that you think you would need "several bound volumes" to explain a relatively simple concept. It's not that complicated.

We always ( 4 cruises worth of always) :+) tip the Maitre D. 5-10 dollars. The last cruise in May on the Elation we actually gave 20.00 to him because We were placed in late dining and I went to him the first day and requested to be placed in Anytime Dining. Handed him my Sign and Sail card and he made the change. I appreciated the help and the assistant Maitre did also recieved a tip b/c of the personal attention she gave to my son / daughter each time they came into the dining room.

I was looking for an answer to another question and came across this:

What is the tipping policy for large groups?Your group can prepay gratuities so attendees don't have to worry about it when on board. The gratuities cover your dining room waiter and bus person, head waiter and Matrie d’ along with the room cleaning personnel.

For more information on Carnival Cruise Lines gratuity policy click here.

Really? Having never traveled in a group I'm going to make the assumption that there is no difference in tips between a group traveler and anybody else. But, if the Matrie D' is already in the split that makes the announcements and envelopes even more crass

I have never been to a land retaurant where tipping the maitre d was encouraged or thought customary unless, like many others stated, it was in exchange for some request.

However, we did tip Joseph, the Super Charged Maitre D. We have been lucky enough to have him on two different cruises. He was always visible, always interacted with us and other passengers, accomodated special requests, made dinnertime fun, and actually listened and tried to get to know us. He is the Only maitre d whose name I actually remember out of our cruises so far.

On our first cruise on the Carnivale in 1991, we were suddenly faced with this new concept of tipping. They left envelopes in our cabin and said we could hand them out at the dining room on the last night. We had no idea what to do. We couldn't imagine why we would tip the Maitre D', who we never even met. We figured we couldnt walk in empty handed, so we put one dollar in the envelope and sealed it. It wasn't intended as an insult, it was just that we just didn't know what we were supposed to do and why. We still laugh about it to this day.

I'm not sure what is worse, being "encouraged" to tip the Maitre D' who you never talk to (I don't think I've ever had a conversation with one), or having to put up with a Maitre D' intruding on your dinner while he stumps for cash favors.

i find it very hard to believe that the md's make this kind of money.

They don't make that money in tips. My point was that John Heald suggested that EVERY couple should tip the Maitre d' $5 and that even if only 25% of all passenger followed Mr. Heald's advice, it would me one huge haul for the maitre d's and his tipping suggestion may be a bit outrageous.

I think many here confuse the head waiters (not the waiter for your table) for each restaurant with maitre d's. In anytime dining, head waiters can fill specific table area requests, waiter requests, and help those with food allergies. We tip these folks extra because of a food allergy in my family. Even if they are covered by auto tips, we feel like we take up more of their time than the usual, "show us to the table" head waiter does.

We tip them if they've done something for us. However, the hostesses get tipped because I need a gluten free diet and those hostesses are the ones who take care of the orders every night. They are great and often get totally overlooked by most of the passengers. I wonder if they get a cut of the auto tips. Does anyone know for sure?

I tipped the girl who took care of my sons' nut free diets. She came over every night to take their orders for the following night. I thought she was the maitre'd and put her tip in the maitre'd envelope. When I handed it to her I said "this is for you," so hopefully she kept it and didn't give it to the real maitre'd.

:mad:

Rather racist don't you think. On a ship there usually named Juan, pedro or latice so no, no tip using your logic.:mad:

Seems everyone calling you out had their posts deleted but your unfair and inflammatory charge against another member is allowed. Real nice.

Anyway back on topic. I saw no reason to tip the guy. I tipped the hostess at the front who remembered where I liked to sit, that I liked Indian Food and what waiter I preferred (had anytime). She deserved it.

In his blog, John Heald said:

"Tipping the maitre d is standard practice within the industry" and suggested a tip of 5.00 per couple (he did not say per day, or the ruise, I assume he meant per time you see him.

So my question is - is tipping the Matre d a common practice in land based restaurants?

Not unless I'm bribing him for a table. :p

...In anytime dining, head waiters can fill specific table area requests, waiter requests, and help those with food allergies. We tip these folks extra because of a food allergy in my family. Even if they are covered by auto tips, we feel like we take up more of their time than the usual, "show us to the table" head waiter does.

It's nice that you tip extra and I don't have a problem with it. I often hear that people tip for someone who goes above and beyond. I don't know if you subscribe to this point of view, but I certainly wouldn't consider, "not killing your family member with poisonous food" to be "going above and beyond". I would consider that a very basic element of their fundamental job function.

• 3 weeks later...

I was a little put off by the Maitre d on my last trip. Didn't see him until the next to last night and it was obvious he was trolling for tips. He came by and said "how did you like MY châteaubriand?". Carnival came up with the menu, the cook made it, the waiter served it - how is it yours? It came off very arrogant.

On the final night there was a staff member collecting envenlopes that I have never seen before.

I was a little put off by the Maitre d on my last trip. Didn't see him until the next to last night and it was obvious he was trolling for tips. He came by and said "how did you like MY châteaubriand?". Carnival came up with the menu, the cook made it, the waiter served it - how is it yours? It came off very arrogant.

On the final night there was a staff member collecting envenlopes that I have never seen before.

LOL at least he stopped by your table. We saw him parading around tables all week. Breezed by us a few times never once stopping by.

DH saw the envelopes and started to put something in it and I stopped him.

I said what did he do for us? No special requests and he never stopped by just to smile or nod his head.

Do I feel bad... nope.

Archived