Diabetic dilemma

ozbuc

I have diabetes and have a question about deserts. Would it be allowed to bring it my own sweetener to give to the kitchen. I have a recipe for a chocolate pudding using heavy cream, cocoa powder and a sugar free sweetener.

Also I am not sure the kitchen would make a single desert just for me.

Their facilities are not really set up for it, no, although a cold pudding MIGHT be possible. Also note that institutional equipment can cook way differently than what you are used to.

There is also a small liability issue in allowing unapproved products in the kitchens.

I won't say its impossible it certainly doesn't hurt to ask and the exec chef may be willing to make a week's worth if he has the staff, but don't be surprised if they say no.

I have diabetes and have a question about deserts. Would it be allowed to bring it my own sweetener to give to the kitchen. I have a recipe for a chocolate pudding using heavy cream, cocoa powder and a sugar free sweetener.

Also I am not sure the kitchen would make a single desert just for me.

There is always a sugar-free option on the menu --- might that work for you? Be sure to discuss your dietary restrictions with the maitre d' onboard. The kitchen will do everything they can to accommodate your needs.

Also, bring your recipe along with you --- perhaps the kitichen can make it with ingredients available onboard.

Once they made me a small sugar-free apple pie, which I had had on another Princess ship, but it wasn't offered on my current one. I just asked nicely and it was done. Don't know about bringing your own recipe and ingredients though. They do offer sugar-free ice cream onboard too. Just ask.

Thanks for the quick replies. Most sugar free foods raise my blood sugar to an unacceptable level. I am on a very low carb diet so things like sugar free cakes , pies and such won't work for me. My wife has reminded me that there is a 99% cacao candy bar that I eat so I will just take a few of those onboard with me.

Again thanks for the replies.

There may be hundreds of diabetics along with you on your cruise. (many still arn't aware that they have it ).

I doubt that they will prepare 1 dish , with your ingrediants ?

Most diabetics do very well cruising by watching their portions , carbs and naturaly the sugars . Doesn't heart to do a few laps around deck daily either.;)

There will be sugar free desserts on dinner menus and at the buffets.

Beware that they still may be loaded with carbs that are just sugars waiting to happen.

I personally would keep your recipe and make it when you are home.

On the ship - I would suggest asking the Matride/head waiter for suggestions for diabetics and let them come up with something. This type of request would be common (unlike the request for them to make your recipe with your ingredients).

You or your cruise planner can contact Princess and have the diabetic diet which is low carb, sugar free. For some reason it doesn't show up on the cruise personalizer. When you go to your cabin there should be a card waiting for you to bring to the maitre d' that night. Near the end of the dinner that first night, the head waiter will bring you the menu for the next night. He will go over each course and how the food can be adapted or substituted. Don't be afraid to ask for extra veggies in place of potatoes , rice, noodles or pasta. For dessert, not only will they make something sugar free but a dish of fresh berries was also great each night.

Sali

Archived