Bringing shelf stable milk onboard??

bigdaddyvoges

I know you are allowed to bring water/pop etc onboard, but are you allowed to bring milk? The issue with DD is that she will NOT drink cold milk. No matter how many times i try, she hates it. Normally when we are away from home, I put the bottle in extremely hot water to take the chill out. I have even put water through a coffee pot, and placed the bottle in the pot. Anyway, I have been looking into this "shelf stable milk" and just wondering if this would be accepted to carry on. Its milk that has been warmed at a higher temperature so that it does not need to be refrigerated until opened. It is pricey, and I wish I could figure out a way to have the "free" milk warmed up, but I'm beginning to believe this may be my only option. We are sailing the Imagination in 39 short days, and I am not sure what to do about this. :confused::confused:

Mrs. Bigdaddyvoges

I guess you can always order hot water (as for hot tea) and put the bottle in that to warm it up in the cabin? And you can always get hot water from the dispensers on the lido deck - you may need to bring/ get an appropriate container that would hold the bottle while warming it up in the hot water but I don't think that would be a problem?

I don't know how small a carton you can buy, but once you open it, it does have to be refrigerated. The cartons I sometimes buy are the size of a carton of chicken broth; way too much for 1 serving. But if you're buying them in smaller sizes, then I think it would be a great idea. :)

I grew up in Europe, and I like to get some Parmalot every now and then for nostalgia purposes. :D

My son loves the boxes of chocolate milk that they sell at Costco...BUT I know they sell the Horizon organic milk boxes in Target, they have it refrigerated but it doesnt have to be until after it's opened. You can always buy the 3 pack and have her try it out...it's actually really good.

If she likes chocolate milk and is willing to have that for the week, you can get a box of 24 kirkland signature chocolate milk boxes for only 13.99 at Costco...those are really good and are organic.

A solution to your problems! Amazon.com: NORPRO 559 Immersion Heater for Warming Liquids: Home Improvement

$4.50 is nothing compared to what you'll spend on milk! We had one and it worked wonders! Used it for MANY years until it finally bit the dust, it had a long happy life :(

You plug it in, place the coil in whatever liquid you're trying to heat, and walla! For a bottle using milk straight from the fridge, I'd bet 45 seconds would be all you need to get it a little warmer than room temp!

If the problem is that she doesn't like it cold it couldn't take much to get it to room temperature. Fill a cereal bowl with hot water and let it sit there for 5 minutes. or just get it delivered by room service 1 hour before a meal and it will warm in the room.

A solution to your problems! Amazon.com: NORPRO 559 Immersion Heater for Warming Liquids: Home Improvement

$4.50 is nothing compared to what you'll spend on milk! We had one and it worked wonders! Used it for MANY years until it finally bit the dust, it had a long happy life :(

You plug it in, place the coil in whatever liquid you're trying to heat, and walla! For a bottle using milk straight from the fridge, I'd bet 45 seconds would be all you need to get it a little warmer than room temp!

Thank you everyone! This is by FAR the BEST idea I have ever seen! I never even knew something like this exsisted! DH was THRILLED when I showed this to him, now knowing he does not have to spend a ton of $$ on milk :D. Ordering ASAP so I can try this out and time it before we leave. Wish I knew about this before we went to mexico, and had to walk 10 minutes to the only bar that was open for warm milk. I will hopefully break her of this warming business by the end of the year. She will 18mths at time of sailing, not sure how much longer I can deal with this. (I blame the NICU for always warming her formula :rolleyes:) j/k.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!

Glad you found something that worked - heck at 18 months time to get rid of the bottle and get her a fancy shmancy sippy cup for 'big girls' - I"m sure she'll like that? Also as to getting her used to cold milk - just go 'degree by degree' - keeping warming it up less and less until she is used to it a bit colder!

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Does this fall under the items you can't bring on board like coffee pots, irons, etc? Seems to me it would since it's a heating coil. Might want to wait on the ordering.

This sounds good, but electrical household appliances are prohibited.

From Carnivals website (go down to the question): Are there restrictions on what we can bring aboard?

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

If you decide on the nuked milk, be sure she likes it before you go. It has a very distinct taste. And I don't know how long til you cruise but I'd start weaning her to a cup and slowly up the temperature. Maybe let her put ice cubes into her cup. Does she drink other things cold?

Why don't you call ahead to Carnival and explain the situation to them.. As it is for an 18 month old, any restrictions may be lifted.

When my daughter was her age, I had to give her 2% milk (as told to by the pediatrician) because of her milk sensitivity. I used to buy Paramalat milk in packs that had juice box size containers when we travel.

Maybe if you check with your local stores, they can order the milk packs for you.

By the way, I trained my daughter to drink only room temperature formula and milk. It saved a lot of hassle trying to warm bottles or refrigerate milk.

Order them from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Organic-8-Ounce-Aseptic-Cartons/dp/B001HTR4WA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315521145&sr=8-1) and have them delivered to your hotel if you are staying there the night before. Otherwise you also have to deal with the airlines. The ones I linked are 8 oz containers- that should work I would think.

Archived