Denied china visa update: Holland changes mind

Martyjac

IMHO it's not enough to say "nobody told me" as it always has been incumbent upon the passenger to verify their requirements to travel internationally, not the responsibility of the travel provider to ensure their passengers have done this.

I was curious as to whether OP had the HAL file taken over by a TA as IMHO that TA should've caught it earlier and recommended OP apply much earlier for a multiple entry Chinese visa.

Really? I hadn't read that and assumed U.S. citizenship as OP admitted they were convicted of four felonies, normally an American judicial term not used in Canada.

I looked back, I didn't find where he referred to 4 felonies, but if thats the case, I don't think he has a chance of a visa. Not even if they use a special company to try an obtain one.

And while I feel for him I am also glad a person with 4? felonies is not my neighbor. And I find the fact that he is not aware of the ramifications or possible ramifications of his record an oversight on his part.

In this instance, IMO, the company is not at fault in any way.

My heart goes out to OP. I hope he finds a way to obtain a visa. Going to a high powered visa agency is certainly the place to start.

That having been said, I completely agree with sail7seas. Not knowing one needs a visa to go to China, or not realizing having a multiple felony record might endanger one's chances of obtaining the visa, none of that is the cruise company's fault, nor should it be cause for special accommodation, no matter what time interval is involved.

I have flown to Russia a number of times, and do not recall getting specific info from the airline about needing a visa. Nevertheless, if I did not obtain one, I am quite certain I would be denied boarding. Personal responsibility can be a bear (to put it politely)!

Bill

I looked back, I didn't find where he referred to 4 felonies, but if thats the case, I don't think he has a chance of a visa. Not even if they use a special company to try an obtain one.

Shouldn't have been hard to spot since it was mentioned in the opening sentence of his OP on ths visa denied thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30348582&postcount=1

My application was denied "No reason given", and not to reapply, but I'm assuming because I had 4 felonies in early 90s.

And while I feel for him I am also glad a person with 4? felonies is not my neighbor. And I find the fact that he is not aware of the ramifications or possible ramifications of his record an oversight on his part.

How would you know if your neighbors had multiple felonies 20+ years ago? I live in one of the most desirable neighborhoods of West Los Angeles and would bet that the number of felonies is not the first question asked of someone moving in. I hope the OP works things out with HAL. This has been a very interesting and informative thread. Cherie

Thanks tcook

I did go back several pages and re-read the other post that was started on this. And yes it did say 4.

Made for interesting re- reading since we now have a few more facts.

No worries. :)

Travel, especially to other parts of the globe, shouldn't be a passive thing and IMHO expecting you might have to do a little research on the destinations isn't too much to ask. That is, of course, just my humble opinion.

Did you have a TA take over the file or deal with HAL solely after making the onboard deposit?

Yes, when we got back to San Francisco, our TA did the final paperwork last January, but it wasn't until this past July that we received in the mail from Holland how to attain a Chinese visa while others could be attained on board, that visas were mentioned to us.

Yes, when we got back to San Francisco, our TA did the final paperwork last January, but it wasn't until this past July that we received in the mail from Holland how to attain a Chinese visa while others could be attained on board, that visas were mentioned to us.

Frankly, I would no longer deal with this particular TA. S/he did not do their job. When you "hire" a TA, it is up to them to make you aware of what you will need for a particular cruise and remind you when to file for any visas, passports, etc. I am sorry your TA did not do their job and you are now paying a high price for their incompetence.

I do hope you can still enjoy this cruise. Have a great time in Hong Kong, if that is what it ends up being. Did you try a visa expediter as suggested?

All in all, we learned a good lesson when cruising. I guess I depended and trusted on our TA and booking agent on the ship to inform us before we paid the final payment. But, we live and learn. Now that we must disembark in Korea and fly to Hong Kong, we'll make the best of it. We'll take in some sights and tours. We'll be staying at the Novotel in Kwoolon district, just 4 blocks from where the ship will pick us up. It's costing us an extra 5K for all this, but I guess feel that's the price you pay for having a felony. I never thought the felonies would ever play a part in my life as I've been retired for 20 years, but that's the way the cards fell.

Thanks. Again unfortunately more passivity as IMHO the TA should've earned their commission by actively advising you of the proper documentation needed to travel to the ports of call on your cruise. I'm with vbmom87 in that I wouldn't use the same TA again given this gaffe, though I would guess it's a large impersonal online TA rather than a local bricke & mortar TA who might pay more attention to the important details.

I hope you do salvage something out of this and enjoy a break in the cruise in Seoul and Hong Kong. Both cities are very easy for English only travellers with excellent signage in multiple languages. If I can help with any other recommendations, please ask. :)

Archived