How do you deal with rude people?

muskrat897

Being able to stick up for yourself is one thing. And telling parents with children who allow them to use the handicap bathroom while they are standing there is another. But be thankful for people in any situation for help. Hubby is am. but im in a chair he has bad knees we ran out of gas the other day 300 ft from the the station an older man stopped his truck to help push too. All of a sudden from two different directions came two trucks with two younger guys they started pushing and left my hubby and the other guy to walk they took the car and parked it for my hubby. They said i hope someone would do this for my parents. And they called me mom lol and they went back and shook my hubbys hand and said any time when he said thanks. Those are real men. And they got my thank you and my best smile.

There is an interesting case in NJ. I read all the Articles about it, and basics are the driver would do two separate things. The driver works for a bus company hired to drive rutgers buses. (it can be 1/2 hr bus ride from one class to another) One issue.. gives motivational speeches as he drove. Something's waving hands and swerving, but no accidents. Second he was putting his hands on handicapped girls, praying for healing. Multiple complaints, each time told he could not touch students. (A few posters mentioned he also did this prayer touching on women at a local gym, with many complaints). After multiple complaints he refused to stop touching prayers. He was allowed to resign with no,mention of reason and he turned around and contacted Fox News, Christian websites etc. even students do not understand constitutional rights. The only way it could be legal to pray, not touching, is if they allow any person from Wicca, Islam, Satanists, etc to also lecture and pray. All allowed or none. Touching without permission? Just wrong. I have had this happen and it is such a major embarrassment. I believe it is arrogant to touch a stranger, assume you can heal them, not even ask first. Ego driven? (Am actually in hospital and pretty medicated..hope this makes sense!)

On the subject of praying and laying on of hands (touching), when my son lost his leg, an acquaintance of mine asked if he would allow her partner, who was a "faith healer" to come to our house and pray and lay hands on my son.

When I put my son on the phone and she asked him, my son replied, "Only if he thinks he can grow me a new leg!" Mission impossible, no visit by the faith healer!

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen many people use scooters out of laziness. They are perfectly capable of walking and have no medical condition. I've seen them talking about renting scooters for convenience and comfort at Disney World. My guess is that most of them would benefit from getting a little exercise. :rolleyes:

Convenience??? At WDW? Uh, no. Having an ECV is a pain in the butt. Yippee we get to board a bus first....ang get off last. Plus if it's a bus with only one wheelchair tie down, we wait for the next bus and sometimes the one after that while you all get on. An able bodied person in line who has mobility issues, pain etc may have trouble waiting, but they have many more choices on where they can sit. Last month, leaving Magic Kingdom, we had to wait for three monorails as there were 4 of us either in w/cs or ECVs. Do you know how many hundreds of people who could walk got on on that time? I don't have a problem with it, but acting like using an assistive device is a perk is ridiculous.

BTW, have you added anything helpful to this thread? I am also confused about where you think mass transit funding comes from. In my state it's about 75% user funded, 25% state taxes.

For those asking about documentation, the ADA forbids requiring and now with HIPPA it is an additional level to guard against it on the basis of invasion of privacy.

Edited by momof3cruisers

Convenience??? At WDW? Uh, no. Having an ECV is a pain in the butt. Yippee we get to board a bus first....ang get off last. Plus if it's a bus with only one wheelchair tie down, we wait for the next bus and sometimes the one after that while you all get on. An able bodied person in line who has mobility issues, pain etc may have trouble waiting, but they have many more choices on where they can sit. Last month, leaving Magic Kingdom, we had to wait for three monorails as there were 4 of us either in w/cs or ECVs. Do you know how many hundreds of people who could walk got on on that time? I don't have a problem with it, but acting like using an assistive device is a perk is ridiculous.

BTW, have you added anything helpful to this thread? I am also confused about where you think mass transit funding comes from. In my state it's about 75% user funded, 25% state taxes.

For those asking about documentation, the ADA forbids requiring and now with HIPPA it is an additional level to guard against it on the basis of invasion of privacy.

Like I said, I've heard and/or read people stating that they rent them for "convenience" and don't need them. Their words, not mine. Don't shoot the messenger.

You are wrong about transit funding, regardless of your state. This is what I do for a living, so yes, I do know this for certain. You are probably only looking at what are referred to as operating costs. Even those get a minimum of 20% Federal funding--although it might look like it is coming from the state depending on a number of factors. Capital costs are 80% Federally funded through a complex series of formulas.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

• 2 weeks later...

Just home from the Carnival Pride yesterday. I found this ship to be very accessible. DH is in a manual wheelchair that I push. I was able to get him around with no problems and only had to wait for an empty elevator once. This is a record. This small ship has lots of elevators.

My only problem was with fellow disabled people who thought it was OK to park their scooters in the hall. I actually was trapped between scooters on deck 4 until I could get a steward.

• 3 weeks later...

On our recent Oasis cruise my DH brought his Jazzy Pride power chair. The ship itself was almost completely accessible. The memorable exception was the "secret" aft balconies which have a high bottom door lip making them unfriendly. There were some long waits for elevators with enough room to accommodate the chair, especially on sea days, but not excessively long. We experienced every manner of rudeness mainly at elevators from folks jumping ahead of us when an elevator finally came, letting kids run ahead of the chair, and rolling of eyes at the inconvenience of waiting. Overall there were way more kind and considerate people than rude ones. Young and old, people held doors open so they didn't close on the chair, squished together so we could fit, and seemed willing to assist any way they could from jumping out of the way in passageways or following behind Despite our slow progress at times. Another issue was navigating down the passageway to and from cabin to elevator during the day and evening when room stewards have their carts out. Some spots along the hall do not have room for both or it's way tight. Most times stewards popped out to move them or I just pushed them out of the way enough to get by. It was definitely a good experience.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am sorry that so many of the posters on here have had bad experiences with people in chairs or on scooters, there is just no excuse except that we are all people.

I am cruising on the Explorer in Feb with my family and to be honest, I am hesitant about it. I have come to like the smaller ships because there are fewer people and less floors (many walk since it is only 2 flights instead of 4). Elevators are NO fun!

I have learned a few tricks over the years though, the most important being that if it is a busy time hit both direction buttons and get on the first elevator that I fit on. That might mean riding down first when going up but that is really not a big deal! I think that more than a few people have been surprised when they tell me to get on an elevator, but I say "no, I will wait for the next one. You all go, you were here before me."

Then if I HAVE to (I miss a few elevators because of others not respecting that I was next) I will park two feet in front of an elevator and when that one comes, I let the people off then I get on.

Happy sailing all!

• 2 weeks later...
IMHO there should be lines with stantions and rope that can accommodate scooters, and scooter/wheelchair users should wait their turn like everyone else for elevators, buses, etc. If there is no room for the scooter and it is next in line, no one gets on at that stop. They should not automatically get priority boarding. The only exception is children on Wish trips.

I'm a bit late coming here but.... I don't expect priority in an elevator but I DO expect to be allowed to get on when it is my turn. Or at least in the third or fourth following my turn. On a recent cruise , hubby and I waited at least 10 additional elevators as people would push and rush past before I could get the 4 feet I parked away from the door to allow people off. Hubby , who never says anything negative to anybody finally asked people to wait so he could get me loaded and he would walk the straits and meet me. He still had people argue that they had already waited one elevator. Some A/B "gentlemen" were shamed enough to get back out. I used to walk the stairs when I could, wish it was still an option.

I don't believe disabled should be given priority when all things are considered equal but there are situations that we just can't do. Parking my scooter outside a bathroom stall and hobbling in with my cane is a possibility. The raised seats in H/C are much appreciated on my back and knees , though. Even one flight of stairs is not a possibility , so I guess I am at the mercy of the crowd .

JMHO,

Kelly

I'm a bit late coming here but.... I don't expect priority in an elevator but I DO expect to be allowed to get on when it is my turn. Or at least in the third or fourth following my turn. On a recent cruise , hubby and I waited at least 10 additional elevators as people would push and rush past before I could get the 4 feet I parked away from the door to allow people off. Hubby , who never says anything negative to anybody finally asked people to wait so he could get me loaded and he would walk the straits and meet me. He still had people argue that they had already waited one elevator. Some A/B "gentlemen" were shamed enough to get back out. I used to walk the stairs when I could, wish it was still an option.

I don't believe disabled should be given priority when all things are considered equal but there are situations that we just can't do. Parking my scooter outside a bathroom stall and hobbling in with my cane is a possibility. The raised seats in H/C are much appreciated on my back and knees , though. Even one flight of stairs is not a possibility , so I guess I am at the mercy of the crowd .

JMHO,

Kelly

This is why I feel that the large ships should have a formal queue for elevators. It gives everyone equal access.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Being able to stick up for yourself is one thing. And telling parents with children who allow them to use the handicap bathroom while they are standing there is another.

As a grandparent of two little girls who are not long out of nappies (diapers) I am going to tell them to use the handicap bathroom if it is the only one empty at the time. Better that than wet pants!

Of course, I would expect older children to give priority to people with a mobility issue, and to stand back for them at an elevator.

As a grandparent of two little girls who are not long out of nappies (diapers) I am going to tell them to use the handicap bathroom if it is the only one empty at the time. Better that than wet pants!

Of course, I would expect older children to give priority to people with a mobility issue, and to stand back for them at an elevator.

When I use a ladies room and go in with my cane, I wait in line. IF when it is my turn the HC stall is open, I go. If not, I let the people behind me go until it becomes available.

If there is a longer line than I cannot stand for, I ask the few people behind to let me know when it is almost our turns and that I need to sit so I will be right outside on my scooter.

I think that on the whole, people are fair...my only problem has been with elevators.