Luggage Tags

Richard

I find it interesting that luggage tags are such an obsession or even a topic at all. Why is it that cruisers are concerned about luggage tags before they leave their home to go on a cruise?

You don't expect your airline to send you luggage tags for your flight? You don't expect luggage tags from the train or bus company of your trip?

I do know that you get your luggage tags at the check in, just like other modes of travel. Isn't that good enough?

Cruising is a bit different from flying. When you fly, you only expect your airline to get your luggage from one airport to another. And they generate the luggage tags at the airport with the correct airport and bar codes, you are not required to fill anything out.

When you are cruising, you want your bags to show up in a specific stateroom. Handprinted luggage tags at the pier will work, but there is always the possibility for error. I think the pre-printed ones are sturdier, the baggage handlers are used to working with them, and it's just nice not to have to deal with filling out luggage tags at the pier.

My documents, with the transfer vouchers and 2 night hotel vouchers, arrived yesterday. Thanks to all who helped with this process. However, I wish to warn my fellow travelers that it is my belief that this would not have occurred without my having to call Celebrity several times to get personal attention focused on the prolem. As was said earlier, the problem for me was the lack of the vouchers.

I also want to point out that I was told yesterday by Celebrity that they could not order luggage tags until the "documet package" was generated and it could take 7-10 days from yesterday for them to arrive. While I am aware that I can get them at the pier, I agree with Happy Cruiser is better to avoid that if you can.

Agreed. Last year the button for ordering luggage tags for my cruise showed up exactly 45 days before sailing. Within a couple of days it was gone and a page showed up saying that they had exceeded the number of mailings and no more would be mailed out.

I looked all over and could not find where to order the tags!

The express pass had one printed at the bottom and it said if you lost your tags you could use this one. Nothing about ordering them. We sail 11/18.

I guess I will will call my ta.

I looked all over and could not find where to order the tags!

The express pass had one printed at the bottom and it said if you lost your tags you could use this one. Nothing about ordering them. We sail 11/18.

I guess I will will call my ta.

Have you received an e mail from Celebrity concerning your upcoming cruise? If not, the luggage tag ordering has probably not yet been added. I am cruising on 11/6 and I just received my e mail and ordered my tages this week.

I never received any email from X but have been checking my online acct just about every day since I saw that others on my roll call had been getting the option to order tags. I finished all my checkin info, printed out my express pass last weekend and today the link for the luggage tags showed up in my reservation summary.

Love getting SOMETHING in the mail for our next cruise!!

Bev

It always makes me wonder how people without access to this site and even without computers ever get themselves on a cruise. :rolleyes:

You really have to be checking your online X account all the time for your edocs and luggage labels as the cruise gets closer. Do TA's do all that for people without computers :confused:

It always makes me wonder how people without access to this site and even without computers ever get themselves on a cruise. :rolleyes:

You really have to be checking your online X account all the time for your edocs and luggage labels as the cruise gets closer. Do TA's do all that for people without computers :confused:

It is extraordinary that all but one my 40+ cruises were done before I found Cruise Critic. I guess a helpful and knowledgeable TA helped. All this before the cruise lines went hog wild on their websites.

It is extraordinary that all but one my 40+ cruises were done before I found Cruise Critic. I guess a helpful and knowledgeable TA helped. All this before the cruise lines went hog wild on their websites.

You are an original cruise expert then, dmwnc :)

Cruise Critic is lucky to have found you :D

You are an original cruise expert then, dmwnc :)

Cruise Critic is lucky to have found you :D

I wouldn't go that far. ;)

Back in the day most folks did their own leg work. You hunted down information in libraries, bookstores, in brochures, and with the help of a wonderful TA you got it done. Half the adventure was not knowing what lie ahead of you, the excitement of getting to the pier with real, actual, documents in hand and filling them out at the check-in counter, and strapping on those luggage tags that came in your document folio. You browsed through the Shore Excursions booklet while waiting to board, and then raced to the Shore Excursions desk to book the ones you wanted before they sold out. There really weren't a dozen dining options, you had the MDR and the buffet and that was pretty much it. And most people dressed for dinner the way the cruise line suggested, no one dare wear blue jeans or shorts in the MDR and folks seemed to 'get it' when it came to common courtesies.

Nowadays it's quick flip of the button on your iPhone or laptop, order your luggage tags, make reservations for dinner, you already know all the menus, book your shore excursions and plan every day of your cruise six months before you even leave the house, and everything is as you planned it. No surprises.

Maybe that's a good thing for some folks, but I occasionally like to go into a vacation without knowing every... single... thing... there is to know about everything and everyplace for the entire cruise.

Life's an adventure. And the best part of it is the journey, not the destination.

The pre-printed set of 8 luggage tags the cruise line send are a matter of shear convenience, where I can easily attach them to my luggage after arrival at the destination airport and prior to handing over my luggage to the porter. It saves me from having to scribble out the information and hoping that they can read my hand writing. Also, if it is raining, 32 degrees outside, or you don't happen to have a pen handy, the pre-printed self adhesive luggage tags are a God-send.

We put our tags on before we leave home. In the event that the luggage does not make it to our distinated airport. Richard

Have you received an e mail from Celebrity concerning your upcoming cruise? If not, the luggage tag ordering has probably not yet been added. I am cruising on 11/6 and I just received my e mail and ordered my tages this week.

Thanks for the info. I will watch for email or other notices.

marge

Archived