Luggage Tags

Richard

I find it interesting that luggage tags are such an obsession or even a topic at all. Why is it that cruisers are concerned about luggage tags before they leave their home to go on a cruise?

You don't expect your airline to send you luggage tags for your flight? You don't expect luggage tags from the train or bus company of your trip?

I do know that you get your luggage tags at the check in, just like other modes of travel. Isn't that good enough?

I find it interesting that luggage tags are such an obsession or even a topic at all. Why is it that cruisers are concerned about luggage tags before they leave their home to go on a cruise?

You don't expect your airline to send you luggage tags for your flight? You don't expect luggage tags from the train or bus company of your trip?

I do know that you get your luggage tags at the check in, just like other modes of travel. Isn't that good enough?

The pre-printed set of 8 luggage tags the cruise line send are a matter of shear convenience, where I can easily attach them to my luggage after arrival at the destination airport and prior to handing over my luggage to the porter. It saves me from having to scribble out the information and hoping that they can read my hand writing. Also, if it is raining, 32 degrees outside, or you don't happen to have a pen handy, the pre-printed self adhesive luggage tags are a God-send.

The pre-printed set of 8 luggage tags the cruise line send are a matter of shear convenience, where I can easily attach them to my luggage after arrival at the destination airport and prior to handing over my luggage to the porter. It saves me from having to scribble out the information and hoping that they can read my hand writing. Also, if it is raining, 32 degrees outside, or you don't happen to have a pen handy, the pre-printed self adhesive luggage tags are a God-send.

I'm scheduled on the 10-10-11 trip out of Rome on the Sily and have made several calls regarding my luggage tags. They just keep saying "call back". I have not received my "e-docs" or anything and I am getting a little nervous. I get nowhere with Celebrity and phone calls. I made full payment quite awhile before it was due and have done the online check-in. While I realize that I will just have to stand around filling out luggage tags in the port, I don't cherish the idea of showing up with nothing more than a printed receipt for the money that I have given them. :mad:

I'm scheduled on the 10-10-11 trip out of Rome on the Sily and have made several calls regarding my luggage tags. They just keep saying "call back". I have not received my "e-docs" or anything and I am getting a little nervous. I get nowhere with Celebrity and phone calls. I made full payment quite awhile before it was due and have done the online check-in. While I realize that I will just have to stand around filling out luggage tags in the port, I don't cherish the idea of showing up with nothing more than a printed receipt for the money that I have given them. :mad:

I'm sorry you are having such difficulty. Keep on them, and keep trying the website under your reservations page as mentioned in the links I provided.

I have to say the pre-printed luggage tags are a convenience but not an absolute necessity. My last cruise was out of Baltimore in December. It was 28 degrees that morning I showed up in gloves, scarf, two coats, hat and earmuffs. Not having to disrobe to write out a luggage tag was wonderful I must say.

Why are you doing this? Let them do it for you, just like at the airport. It is a check in process, no land speed records need to be set in order to get on the ship.

Anyway, my point was that it is no big deal to get luggage tags, your check in at the dock will take care of it.

Why are you doing this? Let them do it for you, just like at the airport. It is a check in process, no land speed records need to be set in order to get on the ship.

Anyway, my point was that it is no big deal to get luggage tags, your check in at the dock will take care of it.

Because I enjoy doing it! It's a nice part of the vacation while I am still in my room and before I check out of the hotel to remove the luggage tags from the envelope, peel them off of the paper backing, and adhere them to by luggage handles. I know its done right and not hap-hazardly. And when I get to the terminal and pull up to the curbside porters and the possibility of a few dozen people all getting out of taxis at the same curb area, I can just hand my luggage off to the porter, tip them, and be on my merry way without waiting for someone to do it for me. :D

In our case, the luggage tags were vital.

We were on an X fly cruise package including overnight hotel. The transfer coach to the port was also taking pax to the port for an RCI cruise from our hotel. One ship's luggage went in one side of the coach and the other ship's in the opposite side. The problem was that half of the pax didn't have luggage labels and the hotel porters mixed them all up as they loaded the coach before the leaving time and some people were missing.

How very easily some of the luggage could have gone to the wrong ship had it not been for the vigilance of the owners. It was a shambles at the port as the porters dragged the luggage out of the coach. The coach driver wouldn't allow pax off the coach to retrieve their luggage, but they did so and it was a good job they did. All totally unecessary if the luggage tags had been sent beforehand. We had ours, but only because of information on this website. Celebrity was no help at all regarding labels and there was no rep to take us to the port. It wasn't a great start to the cruise for some people.

If you have a cruise which includes hotel to port transfers, always retrieve your own luggage if it's not labelled, or make your own with the ship very cleary marked.

It's not a big deal...... You must be within 30 days of your sailing to order. It will be on your online checkin page at the bottom. I have already checked in and printed my quick pass for boarding but I need to wait till I am 30 days or less to order luggage tags.

As for e-docs...they are all on the. Web....just print them out. These days pretty much. Very thing is available online...no need to have them mailed. You really only need your checkin quick pass anyway.

I to do not want to have to deal with luggage tags at the port.."too much chaos and room for error.

It's not a big deal...... You must be within 30 days of your sailing to order. It will be on your online checkin page at the bottom. I have already checked in and printed my quick pass for boarding but I need to wait till I am 30 days or less to order luggage tags.

As for e-docs...they are all on the. Web....just print them out. These days pretty much. Very thing is available online...no need to have them mailed. You really only need your checkin quick pass anyway.

I to do not want to have to deal with luggage tags at the port.."too much chaos and room for error.

I spoke to Celebrity this morning and she agreed that the e-docs were not done. Also told me they would e-mail them to me. I have printed my express pass and I am 22 days from sailing.

:mad:This is frustrating and Azamara is looking better and better. At least there is someone who actually monitors the board and helps with snafu's like this. Not that much more expensive when you add in the extras and the single supplement of only 125%.

We received our luggage tags on Sept 15 for a cruise on Oct 28th. We were allowed to order them Sept 9th. So the 30 day window you mention is not always true.

We received our luggage tags on Sept 15 for a cruise on Oct 28th. We were allowed to order them Sept 9th. So the 30 day window you mention is not always true.

Agreed. Last year the button for ordering luggage tags for my cruise showed up exactly 45 days before sailing. Within a couple of days it was gone and a page showed up saying that they had exceeded the number of mailings and no more would be mailed out.

Agreed. Last year the button for ordering luggage tags for my cruise showed up exactly 45 days before sailing. Within a couple of days it was gone and a page showed up saying that they had exceeded the number of mailings and no more would be mailed out.

The exceeded number of mailings has nothing to do with how many people on your cruise request them, but rather regarding your own account. Once you order them (I did it twice for my last cruise because after a week they didn't show up, but arrived a few days later), then you have reached your own personal quota. Look at it this way, some people may order tags 3 or 4 times, and Celebrity isn't going to keep mailing 8 tags at a pop. It makes sense.

Just quoting the celebrity rep from when I called last week. I am sure it is not necessarily always 30 days, bit also am sure some people try to order them waaaaay far ahead of time......

My cruise is on October 4th out of Miami. No cruise documents or luggage tags as of today. Several calls to Celebrity have led me to the Celebrity resolutions center where I have had telephone conversations with cheerful sounding reasonable ladies who assure me my cruise is fully booked, my documents are in order and the problem is with their new computer system and I will get my documents and luggage tags soon. This has gone on for a week and still no resolution. This sounds like the same experience others are having on this board. Any suggestions? If anyone from Celebrity is reading this board, you folks seem to have a problem here which is seriously beginning to make this past celebrity cruiser unhappy!

As long as you have your boarding pass and passport you're good to go. You can get luggage tags at the pier. I know it's a bit of a bother but bring a pen and you're finished in a couple of minutes.

That being said, keep checking your reservation and I bet in a few days you'll get the document notification and the ability to order the tags.

E-docs are the 30-plus pages, also known as the contract. There was a time when these came to each cruiser in a packet, or bound form, but now if you want to print them out for your records, fine, otherwise there is no need since they are always available for viewing on line should there be some sort of contract dispute. The only part which you would need to have, and this is only if you have booked pre- or post-cruise transportation or hotel, would be the vouchers.

While it makes your check-in go faster if you have done it all on-line and printed your Xpress pass, you can do it all at the check-in counter. It may add five minutes to your check-in process, but that's about all. People show up all the time without their X-press pass, either because they have no computer, or like me this summer, my printer broke as I was preparing for the cruise with no time to fix it or replace it. Not a big deal, at all.

Archived