Price Drop After Final!

GulfCoaster

Is there any cruiseline that will give you credit if the prices go down after final payment?? I didn't think so.:confused:

Actually Carnival does up to 2 business days before sailing in the form of OBC.

"Early Saver is a brand new promotional rate that rewards you for booking early with the absolute lowest rate. In addition, the fares are backed by a unique price protection assurance. Book your cruise now. If you later find a lower Carnival advertised fare for the same sailing and accommodations, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. The policy is effective up to two business days prior to sailing. You now have even more great reasons to book early! Not only will you have the best availability of staterooms, dates, and destinations…you’re assured the lowest rate."

Actually Carnival does up to 2 business days before sailing in the form of OBC.

"Early Saver is a brand new promotional rate that rewards you for booking early with the absolute lowest rate. In addition, the fares are backed by a unique price protection assurance. Book your cruise now. If you later find a lower Carnival advertised fare for the same sailing and accommodations, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. The policy is effective up to two business days prior to sailing. You now have even more great reasons to book early! Not only will you have the best availability of staterooms, dates, and destinations…you’re assured the lowest rate."

However there are restrictions with Carnival's Early Saver rate. The deposit is non-refundable right from the start and no name changes are allowed. Any changes to the ship and sail date incur a $50 per person fee from Carnival.

Carnival's non-restrictive regular rates like past guest rates, resident rates, senior rates, etc., operate the same way that Royal Caribbean does and that is no price adjustments after the final payment date.

However there are restrictions with Carnival's Early Saver rate. The deposit is non-refundable right from the start and no name changes are allowed. Any changes to the ship and sail date incur a $50 per person fee from Carnival.

Carnival's non-restrictive regular rates like past guest rates, resident rates, senior rates, etc., operate the same way that Royal Caribbean does and that is no price adjustments after the final payment date.

We've used the Early Saver rate 8 times with Carnival. The rate is often $100 less (for 2) than the next most attractive rate, so we don't mind risking $50pp to make a change. The price drop is an additional potential benefit, although I haven't seen one yet. I wish RCI had that option as well.

We've used the Early Saver rate 8 times with Carnival. The rate is often $100 less (for 2) than the next most attractive rate, so we don't mind risking $50pp to make a change. The price drop is an additional potential benefit, although I haven't seen one yet. I wish RCI had that option as well.

I was told by corporate that RCL test marketed a similar program in a limited area and in their words "it was a disaster".

I have to wonder though if they don't think about revisiting something like this as I am seeing a game of chicken going on more and more between RCL and their customers as to who is waiting out on price drops the longest.

I was told by corporate that RCL test marketed a similar program in a limited area and in their words "it was a disaster".

I have to wonder though if they don't think about revisiting something like this as I am seeing a game of chicken going on more and more between RCL and their customers as to who is waiting out on price drops the longest.

Did they share why it was a disaster? Too many price drops? A messed up computer system that couldn't handle the price drops when they arose? Too many rules depending on when you booked your cruise?

My wife is steaming about this and wants to cancel the entire cruise even though we will lose the deposit.

I don't get this. You were apparently happy enough to pay the fare when you booked, so why is your wife "steaming" over this? From the way I see it, any price reduction would have been a bonus, but if not, oh well. It certainly wouldn't ruin my vacation. And I've seen some kids throw tantrums, but certainly not like this... :cool:

It has been about 2 years since we have had the opportunity to cruise again and we were so excited to see the Jewel Of The Seas coming to Tampa. We booked months ago and just recently paid our final. Now the price we paid has dropped after final payment and it is a big drop. We called RCCL and they basically said sorry about that.

They would upgrade us to the next available cat. but it is unavailable for now. Have things changed that much that there is no longer any price protection after final?

My wife is steaming about this and wants to cancel the entire cruise even though we will lose the deposit.

As always, any suggestions or thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks

cancel then.

Did they share why it was a disaster? Too many price drops? A messed up computer system that couldn't handle the price drops when they arose? Too many rules depending on when you booked your cruise?

No.....they never got into the details....it was one city that they picked as the test market....I forget though which they said it was.

I would love to see RCL come out with something like Carnival has with the no cancel once deposited but honors price drops till final.

No.....they never got into the details....it was one city that they picked as the test market....I forget though which they said it was.

I would love to see RCL come out with something like Carnival has with the no cancel once deposited but honors price drops till final.

I would love to see this too. I used Carnival's ES rate for the first time a few months ago for a Feb 2012 cruise (first Carnival cruise, period), and since then have had three price drops totaling $130pp. We're currently at $379pp for a 7-night sailing in a PT cabin. The price recently, gradually made its way back up to the original price we booked ($509pp). My first experience with the ES rate has been great and regardless whether there are ever any price drops available, it's always good to know the option is there until 2 days before sailing.

We are used to this type of pricing ... you aren't going to get the difference refunded with airlines either (at least without a huge change fee). For those of us who have to fly to port ... it's a balancing act with last-minute cruise fares against last-minute airline prices. ;)

We've adjusted prices several times for a $50 fee with airlines. Sure it is only future credit, but as pp's have mentioned, it is about customer service.

Once again, thanks for all your thoughts and comments. When I booked the cruise and accepted the pricing that was that. No issues.

However, after Final and you are locked in and then they drop the price and you can't get an upgrade to the next cabin cat and RCCL's stance is "too bad" I don't think that is good business. It is my opinion. I own a retail store and if I pulled this on my customers for purchases they made, then 3 days later drop the price on the same items they purchased and gave them a "too bad for you attitude" while not honoring my orginal pricing in someway, shape, credit or form especially in this economy I would lose customers.

As other posters have written and as an example of some sort of price protection in travel, fly Southwest with a non-refundable ticket and see what happens. If the price drops you can get a credit for the increase good for up to a year from the date the orginal ticket was issued. I applaude Southwest for taking and keeping this stance. We book early in the hope of getting a fair shake and being protected. In this case it worked against us. That's really all there is to this and I know that it all may sound nickel and dime. And it just may well be. As I wrote earlier - live and learn.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts on this.

Once again, thanks for all your thoughts and comments. When I booked the cruise and accepted the pricing that was that. No issues.

However, after Final and you are locked in and then they drop the price and you can't get an upgrade to the next cabin cat and RCCL's stance is "too bad" I don't think that is good business. It is my opinion. I own a retail store and if I pulled this on my customers for purchases they made, then 3 days later drop the price on the same items they purchased and gave them a "too bad for you attitude" while not honoring my orginal pricing in someway, shape, credit or form especially in this economy I would lose customers.

As other posters have written and as an example of some sort of price protection in travel, fly Southwest with a non-refundable ticket and see what happens. If the price drops you can get a credit for the increase good for up to a year from the date the orginal ticket was issued. I applaude Southwest for taking and keeping this stance. We book early in the hope of getting a fair shake and being protected. In this case it worked against us. That's really all there is to this and I know that it all may sound nickel and dime. And it just may well be. As I wrote earlier - live and learn.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts on this.

I agree:)

My best suggestion is to voice your opinion right up to the top....either send a note or e-mail.

Adam M. Goldstein

President and CEO

Royal Caribbean International

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132-2096

AGoldstein@rccl.com

I would love to see this too. I used Carnival's ES rate for the first time a few months ago for a Feb 2012 cruise (first Carnival cruise, period), and since then have had three price drops totaling $130pp. We're currently at $379pp for a 7-night sailing in a PT cabin. The price recently, gradually made its way back up to the original price we booked ($509pp). My first experience with the ES rate has been great and regardless whether there are ever any price drops available, it's always good to know the option is there until 2 days before sailing.

If the cruise is next Feb, it's still before final payment. So you would have been able to adjust to a lower price regardless of the rate you had booked.

The real benefit of ES will start once you are in the penalty phase. :)

you need to be careful when you check for price drops on the RCI website. the reason you get huge pricedrops at the weekend is because flights are unavailable or fully booked. I realise this only applies if you book a fly package.

when you do pick a fly package and pick your airport there is a very small hard to see message at the top of your browser that says flights are no longer abailabe (the gateway for this flight is closed) its almost impossible to see but when you go and pick your cabin the prices shown are that of the cruise only. you wont notice this as it doesnt tell you until you try to pay or confirm your booking.

it looks as if theres a huge price drop because your flights arent showing.

even my TA missed the no flights message and went onto RCI. my price had actually increased

That is not fully accurate....Jetblue as well as Southwest will both give you a refund credit to use within 1 year on another flight if you find a price drop.

And Alaska. (https://www.alaskaair.com/booking/ssl/garr/GuaranteedAirfare.aspx)

While things aren't working out the way you'd hoped, OP, I'm glad you posted. I haven't seriously priced out a cruise since 2003, and wasn't aware of the changes. So now I know, for after we've booked osmething, when I need to stop checking. Just like with airlines, you want to know how long you can continue to check (if you've booked SW, Alaska, JB...or if your traditional airline fare was high enough, and the drop is big enough, to make the change fee worth it) without making yourself sad.

When booking early - you get to schedule the dates, have time to look for airfare bargains, hotel specials and get the cabin you want.

I don't like the newer policy of no refunds or credits after final payment but Royal Caribbean has to watch the bottom line in this tough economy and with the big payments for the big ships. Another poster said if a customer bought an item and 3 days later it was on sale a refund would be given to the buyer. But I doubt if the item had been purchased six months ago the same policy would be in effect.

If someone is booking that close (3 days) to final payment date - I hope they use a good TA who will ask if they want to wait a week or two to book if the ship is not sailing full. It is always good to check cancellation and change (return) policies when making a substantial purchase of anything.

It has been about 2 years since we have had the opportunity to cruise again and we were so excited to see the Jewel Of The Seas coming to Tampa. We booked months ago and just recently paid our final. Now the price we paid has dropped after final payment and it is a big drop. We called RCCL and they basically said sorry about that.

They would upgrade us to the next available cat. but it is unavailable for now. Have things changed that much that there is no longer any price protection after final?

As always, any suggestions or thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks

The same thing happened to us last year when we booked Radiance out of Tampa. Our cruise was mid-December. It was also a HUGE drop in price. I was furious because it involved 2 rooms. We booked D categories and there was no way I was going to pay what they were asking for a JS in comparison to the then current D category pricing.

But be patient. The price will continue to drop on those Jewel cruises. They had a Tuesday only special for a JS which they wouldn't allow us to have. Not much later a JS came up at a cheaper price for the general public - cheaper than we paid for the D. We were able to upgrade at no cost. Of course we were still paying more than the going rate.

Then shortly before sailing we got the call from C&A offering us a GS which of course we took. Our other family members ended up in a JS which they loved - 3 20somethings.

In the end we felt we got a great deal. But for a while I felt like I'd never cruise with RCI again.

Right now we are thinking of doing a December cruise but we will wait until a real deal shows up. If none appears, we won't cruise. But I won't go through their lack of price protection again during the time of year that prices hit rock bottom - which is now.

Just keep watching the prices daily including all special pricing which you qualify for, if any. What category have you booked with no better category available? Oftentimes higher categories become available as TAs release them back into the system or people cancel.

Gina

Silentbob007 - not true on the airlines comment. We've gotten refunds this year from Southwest and Airtran both. It's never a problem, if price drops...they put it back on your card pretty darn quick.

:D

SWA only puts it on your card if you book an anytime fare or business class. A web fare isn't elegible for a refund to your card but the credit is given back to use within one year of the booking date.

I started cruising RCI and continued with them because of their previous refund policy. I'm becoming more selective in how I book with them now. Under booking cabin categories on must take cruises so upgrades can be taken - but in categories I can live with. Or not booking at all until a great deal is offered closer to sail date.

Gina

I don't get this. You were apparently happy enough to pay the fare when you booked, so why is your wife "steaming" over this? From the way I see it, any price reduction would have been a bonus, but if not, oh well. It certainly wouldn't ruin my vacation. And I've seen some kids throw tantrums, but certainly not like this... :cool:

Wait until it happens to you.

I understand the OP completely.

I took one Carnival cruise in the past year and used the ES rate. After final payment the price went down 3 times in the form of past guest rates. I was given all 3 price drops in the form of OBC for a total of $560. AND it's all fully refundable once on board. We took what was left in cash on the last day of the cruise. If you don't go ask for cash, they automatically deliver a check to the room with the invoice.

I consider the $50 change fee like cheap insurance. I knew it was unlikely we'd need to change unless an emergency came up. And we weren't going to change names on the reservation unless one of us died. In that case, the other wouldn't want to go anyway. :D

I think it's a fabulous program and that RCI should offer a similar price guarantee. After all, when booking ES, the price is cheaper than the non-

ES price, too. There's not much to lose unless one isn't committed to the cruise.

Gina

The same thing happened to us last year when we booked Radiance out of Tampa. Our cruise was mid-December. It was also a HUGE drop in price. I was furious because it involved 2 rooms. We booked D categories and there was no way I was going to pay what they were asking for a JS in comparison to the then current D category pricing.

But be patient. The price will continue to drop on those Jewel cruises. They had a Tuesday only special for a JS which they wouldn't allow us to have. Not much later a JS came up at a cheaper price for the general public - cheaper than we paid for the D. We were able to upgrade at no cost. Of course we were still paying more than the going rate.

Then shortly before sailing we got the call from C&A offering us a GS which of course we took. Our other family members ended up in a JS which they loved - 3 20somethings.

In the end we felt we got a great deal. But for a while I felt like I'd never cruise with RCI again.

Right now we are thinking of doing a December cruise but we will wait until a real deal shows up. If none appears, we won't cruise. But I won't go through their lack of price protection again during the time of year that prices hit rock bottom - which is now.

Just keep watching the prices daily including all special pricing which you qualify for, if any. What category have you booked with no better category available? Oftentimes higher categories become available as TAs release them back into the system or people cancel.

Gina

They are falling weekly on Jewel.....some Dec sailings on Jewel are already priced below TA rates....you now have Liberty competing against Jewel doing similar 4 and 5 night sailings leaving the same dates.

For what it's worth, Carnival doesn't offer Early Saver fares on all categories of all voyages.

I was surprised to learn that on my Carnival Magic cruise for 8/19/2012 they are not offering that rate for balcony categories 8A-8C, which are categories containing a lot of rooms.

However Early Saver is offered for 9C "aft wrap" cabins, of which there are only eight. These are very special rooms with huge balconies, but are priced lower than suites. (In fact seven of the eight are already sold out.)

Once a category is sold out, you can't get money back because the ES rules say that you can only match against exact categories. I'm thinking that Carnival wants to limit having to pay for price drops after final payment. Thus, a large category that might not completely sell out until a few weeks before sailing is a bigger liability for them if they need to cut prices to sell those last few cabins.

Archived