Price Drop After Final!

GulfCoaster

It has been about 2 years since we have had the opportunity to cruise again and we were so excited to see the Jewel Of The Seas coming to Tampa. We booked months ago and just recently paid our final. Now the price we paid has dropped after final payment and it is a big drop. We called RCCL and they basically said sorry about that.

They would upgrade us to the next available cat. but it is unavailable for now. Have things changed that much that there is no longer any price protection after final?

My wife is steaming about this and wants to cancel the entire cruise even though we will lose the deposit.

As always, any suggestions or thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks

It has been about 2 years since we have had the opportunity to cruise again and we were so excited to see the Jewel Of The Seas coming to Tampa. We booked months ago and just recently paid our final. Now the price we paid has dropped after final payment and it is a big drop. We called RCCL and they basically said sorry about that.

They would upgrade us to the next available cat. but it is unavailable for now. Have things changed that much that there is no longer any price protection after final?

My wife is steaming about this and wants to cancel the entire cruise even though we will lose the deposit.

Thanks

Any cruise booked prior to May 17, 2010 falls under the old pricing policy of price reductions up until 72 hours prior to departure.

If your cruise was booked on or after that date, then you are only eligible for price reductions up until final payment. After that, if a cabin category higher that what you are booked in is priced lower than what you paid, you can request an upgrade.

I've read somewhere that you may be entitled to onboard credit. But I'm only a novice at this cruising lark. It sounds a very unfair system if they wait until payments have to be in before reducing prices!!! Maybe we need a Cruising Spring!!!

I've read somewhere that you may be entitled to onboard credit. But I'm only a novice at this cruising lark. It sounds a very unfair system if they wait until payments have to be in before reducing prices!!! Maybe we need a Cruising Spring!!!

Not in the US anymore after final payment.

Thanks

Yep....they have no shame anymore now that they don't honor price drops after final on waiting till you are in penalty stage to start price dropping.

However in fairness....I am not sure how often you were checking for price drops....but they have been lowering Jewel pricing on weekends and then raising prices back for during the week...I have noticed this happening on a few Jewel sailings (as well as other sailings) I have been watching during the weeks prior to final.....something new they seem to be doing.

I was always amazed that RCI used to give you the lower price or OBC after final payment...very generous and I believe the only cruise line that did. So I have no quarrel with the new policy. I think the upgrade is quite reasonable.

If you can get it.....like the OP said....it's not available...and that's not the first time I have heard that.

Yep....they have no shame anymore now that they don't honor price drops after final on waiting till you are in penalty stage to start price dropping.

However in fairness....I am not sure how often you were checking for price drops....but they have been lowering Jewel pricing on weekends and then raising prices back for during the week...I have noticed this happening on a few Jewel sailings (as well as other sailings) I have been watching during the weeks prior to final.....something new they seem to be doing.

Interesting information. I will start checking a bit closer on the weekends. Thanks.

They have been doing the same thing with our December Liberty sailing. Price drops late Friday or early Saturday mornings and then back up on Monday morning

Is there any cruiseline that will give you credit if the prices go down after final payment?? I didn't think so.:confused:

Thanks everbody for such quick responses. I have been watching the price on this cruise since I made the orginal booking and was content with it all until this big drop today. ANd the best part is it dropped twice within 5 mins while I was on line. It would be nice if they settle on a number and stick with it for a bit. I figured that if this kept up I would cancel and re-book at the much cheaper price. Even losing the deposit I would be ahead. Way ahead.

We have done RCCL, NCL, Princess, HAL and Carnival and never had an issue where we were not protected in some way, or the line made it up somehow. That is just good customer service in my opinion not just a "so sorry about that" which is what I got. That doesn't work for me.

We love RCCL but this is not cool. As I stated earlier, it has been a couple of years since we had the opportuity to cruise or even travel due to business reasons. However, passengers booking far in advance so they can get the cabin they want should not be punished after final. I understand they must fill empty cabins otherwise it is lost revenue once "the boat has sailed".

Oh well....live and learn I guess...Once again thanks all for your help and thoughts. CC members are always the best!

I figured that if this kept up I would cancel and re-book at the much cheaper price. Even losing the deposit I would be ahead. Way ahead.

I have done that before. I put a cabin on hold to make sure I had something(without logging into my cruise account, I didn't want to inadvertently change anything) and then called Royal to make the change. They cancelled and charged me the fee, and rebooked me at the lower price.

Thanks everbody for such quick responses. I have been watching the price on this cruise since I made the orginal booking and was content with it all until this big drop today. ANd the best part is it dropped twice within 5 mins while I was on line. It would be nice if they settle on a number and stick with it for a bit. I figured that if this kept up I would cancel and re-book at the much cheaper price. Even losing the deposit I would be ahead. Way ahead.

We have done RCCL, NCL, Princess, HAL and Carnival and never had an issue where we were not protected in some way, or the line made it up somehow. That is just good customer service in my opinion not just a "so sorry about that" which is what I got. That doesn't work for me.

We love RCCL but this is not cool. As I stated earlier, it has been a couple of years since we had the opportuity to cruise or even travel due to business reasons. However, passengers booking far in advance so they can get the cabin they want should not be punished after final. I understand they must fill empty cabins otherwise it is lost revenue once "the boat has sailed".

Oh well....live and learn I guess...Once again thanks all for your help and thoughts. CC members are always the best!

If you have already made final payment, would you not be losing the whole amount, not just the deposit?

If you have already made final payment, would you not be losing the whole amount, not just the deposit?

The OP would only lose the deposit until 56 days before the cruise:

75+ No charges

74-57 Deposit amount

56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

We are used to this type of pricing ... you aren't going to get the difference refunded with airlines either (at least without a huge change fee). For those of us who have to fly to port ... it's a balancing act with last-minute cruise fares against last-minute airline prices. ;)

We are used to this type of pricing ... you aren't going to get the difference refunded with airlines either (at least without a huge change fee). For those of us who have to fly to port ... it's a balancing act with last-minute cruise fares against last-minute airline prices. ;)

That is not fully accurate....Jetblue as well as Southwest will both give you a refund credit to use within 1 year on another flight if you find a price drop.

Silentbob007 - not true on the airlines comment. We've gotten refunds this year from Southwest and Airtran both. It's never a problem, if price drops...they put it back on your card pretty darn quick.

:D

While I know many will probably say this isn't policy....we have also always got Continental to issue us a voucher good for up to 1 year for a future flight when we have found a lower price......we are Elite and Chase Continental card holders.....it may take a bit of pushing and escalating a bit but have always got it done without much problem or lots of time involved.

Well I can now verify that there was at least one price drop over the weekend. Save $320 on an upcoming Navigator cruise. Thanks Steve.

Any cruise booked prior to May 17, 2010 falls under the old pricing policy of price reductions up until 72 hours prior to departure.

If your cruise was booked on or after that date, then you are only eligible for price reductions up until final payment. After that, if a cabin category higher that what you are booked in is priced lower than what you paid, you can request an upgrade.

Many of the price reductions are a "deal", "exclusive" or "for new bookings only" and don't apply to bookings prior to May 17,2010. We booked prior to May 17, 2010 so I've been checking the price for our upcoming Voyager cruises. All price drops are like those I've mentioned above so we don't qualify for any price drop OBC. I think regular price drops that might qualify for OBC are few and far between.

Archived