Did you see this on CBS Evening News?

okwriter

I rarely watch CBS but had their evening news on tonight. They did a story about the illegal drug trade in Puerto Rico. I had no idea it had gotten so bad there. :(

The report showed a DEA raid from June that was done in Old San Juan and said, "If you look closely at this DEA video from the raid, just offshore a cruise ship filled with tourists sailed into port." They went on to say that the slum (their word, not mine) was the heroin capital of Puerto Rico, just steps away from El Morro (?), the island's most visited landmark.

Doesn't one of Carnival's ships depart from San Juan? Would knowing about the drug trade change your planned activities while in PR or maybe just make you a little more cautious?

I rarely watch CBS but had their evening news on tonight. They did a story about the illegal drug trade in Puerto Rico. I had no idea it had gotten so bad there. :(

The report showed a DEA raid from June that was done in Old San Juan and said, "If you look closely at this DEA video from the raid, just offshore a cruise ship filled with tourists sailed into port." They went on to say that the slum (their word, not mine) was the heroin capital of Puerto Rico, just steps away from El Morro (?), the island's most visited landmark.

Doesn't one of Carnival's ships depart from San Juan? Would knowing about the drug trade change your planned activities while in PR or maybe just make you a little more cautious?

Victory sails from SJ.

The slum area is actually located outside the wall surrounding Old San Juan.

Our tour guide pointed towards it during our Segway tour 3 weeks ago.

That would also explain why when entering back through the gates into the port area the SJ cruise authority was checking hand carried bags .. ei. totes and beach type bags. I thought that was weird because it was before we even got unto the ship.

I just asked DH if he noticed dogs but he didn't nor did I.

It's been many years since I was there, and I simply changed planes there on the way to St. Thomas. I'm sure it is a beautiful old historic place, but I didn't much like it then. Of course, it could have had more to do with why I was going to St. Thomas...my dad had suffered a heart attack. Anyway, I just found it an interesting news blurb and I always perk up when I hear anyone say "cruise ship." :D

It has been a real problem since the early 80's. Military were always advised not to leave base in uniform. Even when we traveled from the Coast Guard Base in San Juan to the Navy Base at Roosevelt Roads, we wore civilian clothes. All the government vehicles had Puerto Rican license plates, and our POV's (personal vehicles) did not have base stickers.

In 1984 while I was attached to a (drug) Law Enforcenment Team operating out of Roosy Roads, there was an Army LT riding his motorcycle to work at Ft Buchanan. He was late, and wore his uniform for the ride in. Not sure if the uniform made him a target, but he was shot and killed at a stop light.

The area you mentioned, from the news article is just east of El Morro. As you are approaching the enterance to San Juan, look to your left (East), and you will see a very congested housing area below the fort by the waters edge. We were told that the police (local & state), along with back up from DEA, only go into that area once or twice a year, usually with at least 100 or more heavily armed and protected officers. They usually fill a couple of dump trucks with automatic weapons, and a tractor trailer unit or two with the confiscated drugs.

Yes there is a drug problem. Is it any worse than any mainland U.S. city like New York, LA, Detroit, Boston, etc, probably about the same. Sometimes gets more publicity than necessary, due to it being a major tourist area. Sometimes gets swept away from the media so as not to scare off tourism. But like any city, or any area you travel, if you look for trouble, you will find it. Always travel in small groups, do not venture out on your own. Stay in well lit, more open areas., and avoid back alley short cuts. I survived Miami, Key West, New York, and St Thomas in the 80's and early 90's. Unfortunately, crime is a problem everywhere, even Hometown USA, open your eyes, it's there.

This should not take away from your cruising or vacationing, but just an enlightenment, to be careful.

It has been a real problem since the early 80's. Military were always advised not to leave base in uniform. Even when we traveled from the Coast Guard Base in San Juan to the Navy Base at Roosevelt Roads, we wore civilian clothes. All the government vehicles had Puerto Rican license plates, and our POV's (personal vehicles) did not have base stickers.

In 1984 while I was attached to a (drug) Law Enforcenment Team operating out of Roosy Roads, there was an Army LT riding his motorcycle to work at Ft Buchanan. He was late, and wore his uniform for the ride in. Not sure if the uniform made him a target, but he was shot and killed at a stop light.

The area you mentioned, from the news article is just east of El Morro. As you are approaching the enterance to San Juan, look to your left (East), and you will see a very congested housing area below the fort by the waters edge. We were told that the police (local & state), along with back up from DEA, only go into that area once or twice a year, usually with at least 100 or more heavily armed and protected officers. They usually fill a couple of dump trucks with automatic weapons, and a tractor trailer unit or two with the confiscated drugs.

Yes there is a drug problem. Is it any worse than any mainland U.S. city like New York, LA, Detroit, Boston, etc, probably about the same. Sometimes gets more publicity than necessary, due to it being a major tourist area. Sometimes gets swept away from the media so as not to scare off tourism. But like any city, or any area you travel, if you look for trouble, you will find it. Always travel in small groups, do not venture out on your own. Stay in well lit, more open areas., and avoid back alley short cuts. I survived Miami, Key West, New York, and St Thomas in the 80's and early 90's. Unfortunately, crime is a problem everywhere, even Hometown USA, open your eyes, it's there.

This should not take away from your cruising or vacationing, but just an enlightenment, to be careful.

Interesting info. I have noticed that area every time I have cruised from San Juan and have always wondered about it. Glad I didn't go down there. Knowing this would not change my mind about sailing out of Puerto Rico though. I have always thought that you get the best Caribbean cruises when sailing out of San Juan due to how far south you get to go. Wife and I have done three from there and they have been our favorites.

Just returned from the Liberty and visited San Juan. Great city! Visited El Morro. Was told crime was very high, especially the drug trade. However, was also told if you don't go looking for it, you won't have any problems. People were great and I would visit again.

I've been to San Juan a few times and it's a favorite port of call. On a number of occassions I've been warned not to go near the area under discussion because it was a very bad area of town. While it's visible to tourists, it's actually not that easy to get to as it is separated by a wall, very steep hill and a little distance.

I see no reason why this should impact my enjoyment of San Juan and I fully itend to revist this wonderful city.

A bunch of ships sail out of San Juan and an even greater number call each week. If the cruise lines didn't feel the port was safe this would not be the case.

This is the area pointed out to us during our tour. I had taken the picture because of the history explaining why the meat and fish cleaning areas were located outside the wall.

ry%3D400

I doubt it is any worse than what goes on in most

US cities.

I said the other day that shootings here don't need to be

breaking news, just have a segment on the news or a section

in the newspaper called "Today's Shootings"

Fifteen years ago we hired a lady from Detroit. She was surprised that we reported murders in the newspapers because they didn't even bother anymore, she said. Too many to keep track of and report on.:(

Celebrity Cruiseline also sails out of

San Juan through the Panama Canal. I didn't notice the Carnival funnel on the ship they showed

if this scares you, you should look closer at what goes on in st. thomas and the other virgins. shios don't even sail to st. croix anymore.

yet all the above are u.s. territories!

and more scarier is how some let their guard down when they visit these hostile vistas.

I rarely watch CBS but had their evening news on tonight.

Scott Pelley is a genuine nice guy (I know him from work) and ultra sharp. We always watch.

Always be aware of your surroundings, no matter where you are.

Always good advice.

We were in San Juan last May and while we never felt unsafe

we continue to exercise our "city senses" when abroad.

I was in a US Navy E2C squadron in the late 90s that spent 30 days every year at Roosevelt Roads in support of operations to capture the boats that were running drugs into the island. We made a couple of pretty large busts.

if this scares you, you should look closer at what goes on in st. thomas and the other virgins. shios don't even sail to st. croix anymore.

yet all the above are u.s. territories!

and more scarier is how some let their guard down when they visit these hostile vistas.

I'm sure many of you who have been on CC for over a year remember hearing the story about the 12 YO girl from Puerto Rico who was cruising with her family. They were on an open air safari type truck in the vicinity of Coral World (St Thomas Coki Point). Unfortunately, a drug deal went bad, and the 12 YO girl had been shot. No she was not walking around a bad area, or even out on her own. She was seated on the safari tour bus, as innocent by stander(sitter). St Thomas has had a major crack down in the Coki Point area after that. Many cruise line threatened to pull out of St Thomas. We love St Thomas. Our favorite spot is Saphire Beach, they have great rum punches. Their beach is not as crowded as Megans, or some of the other beaches.

I was stationed on the Coast Guard cutter out of St Thomas ( '88 & '89) for two years. Yea, yea, I've heard what you are thinking many times before. Believe it or not, not as great as it sounds. My mother and aunt enjoyed it as much, if not more than I did. I spent a lot of time underway patrolling the Caribbean looking for vessels smuggling both drugs and illegal aliens. My mother use to use the excuse that everything in St Thomas was so expensive, she had to bring me down care packages. My mom and aunt came down six or seven times while I was there. Unfortunately, I was not always there, but they were. Anyway, in 1988 there was a couple (I think from the Chicago area) that were mugged on "99 steps", just outside of the downtown area. The police also broke up a big theft ring. When the ship bringing in new cars for the auto dealer(s) and the rental agencies, locals were temp hired to drive the cars off the ship. Sometimes also to deliver these cars to where they were going. While they were in the cars, they made duplicates of the keys, and took note of the description and VIN. Sometimes they would just rent a car for a day during the week, and make copies of the keys. When tourists arrived, and rented some of these cars from the airort, or a downtown location, they were all set. After watching the tourists shop, and lock their purchases in the rental car, they were all set. They did not have to break into the vehicle in broad daylight, they just waited 'til the tourists were gone, came up, and drove away in the car. Then they could unload what they wanted.We (USCG) worked closly with the resident (one 1) FBI agent. He was happy when we were in port. He said we were his only other federal back ups if there was a bank robbery, or some other major problem. We also help him break up a boat theft ring, and nab one of the down island trader ships that visited once a week. Each day after it departed, there would be reports of 7 or 8 small boats missing or stolen. Talk about "Pirates of the Caribbean". These guys would arrive mid afternoon, and tie up at the bulkhead across from the "Windward Passage" hotel, next to where the ferry Native Son docked. At night, they would go around in their small boat, untie, and steal small power boats, bring them back to their ship, and hoist them onboard. It took a couple of months for the police to put the pattern together, nut they did. Finally they got busted :).

Again, it happens EVERYWHERE :eek:. Just be careful and aware of your surroundings.

My sister owns a home in St. Thomas but won't go there (she lives in Maine by choice) because the violence has gotten so bad. So yes, I knew it was going on there. I guess I just hadn't heard much about the drug situation escalating in PR, so I was a little surprised. The news report said it's partly because the US has been somewhat effective in closing off the smuggling routes along the US/Mexican border. It's just so sad that the hunger for drugs keeps driving these drug wars---almost holding innocent people hostage because they can't afford to leave. :(

If I was sailing from or into PR, I would probably be extra cautious but not avoid it altogether. Bad stuff happens everywhere.

I'm sure many of you who have been on CC for over a year remember hearing the story about the 12 YO girl from Puerto Rico who was cruising with her family. They were on an open air safari type truck in the vicinity of Coral World (St Thomas Coki Point). Unfortunately, a drug deal went bad, and the 12 YO girl had been shot. No she was not walking around a bad area, or even out on her own. She was seated on the safari tour bus, as innocent by stander(sitter). St Thomas has had a major crack down in the Coki Point area after that. Many cruise line threatened to pull out of St Thomas. We love St Thomas. Our favorite spot is Saphire Beach, they have great rum punches. Their beach is not as crowded as Megans, or some of the other beaches.

I was stationed on the Coast Guard cutter out of St Thomas ( '88 & '89) for two years. Yea, yea, I've heard what you are thinking many times before. Believe it or not, not as great as it sounds. My mother and aunt enjoyed it as much, if not more than I did. I spent a lot of time underway patrolling the Caribbean looking for vessels smuggling both drugs and illegal aliens. My mother use to use the excuse that everything in St Thomas was so expensive, she had to bring me down care packages. My mom and aunt came down six or seven times while I was there. Unfortunately, I was not always there, but they were. Anyway, in 1988 there was a couple (I think from the Chicago area) that were mugged on "99 steps", just outside of the downtown area. The police also broke up a big theft ring. When the ship bringing in new cars for the auto dealer(s) and the rental agencies, locals were temp hired to drive the cars off the ship. Sometimes also to deliver these cars to where they were going. While they were in the cars, they made duplicates of the keys, and took note of the description and VIN. Sometimes they would just rent a car for a day during the week, and make copies of the keys. When tourists arrived, and rented some of these cars from the airort, or a downtown location, they were all set. After watching the tourists shop, and lock their purchases in the rental car, they were all set. They did not have to break into the vehicle in broad daylight, they just waited 'til the tourists were gone, came up, and drove away in the car. Then they could unload what they wanted.We (USCG) worked closly with the resident (one 1) FBI agent. He was happy when we were in port. He said we were his only other federal back ups if there was a bank robbery, or some other major problem. We also help him break up a boat theft ring, and nab one of the down island trader ships that visited once a week. Each day after it departed, there would be reports of 7 or 8 small boats missing or stolen. Talk about "Pirates of the Caribbean". These guys would arrive mid afternoon, and tie up at the bulkhead across from the "Windward Passage" hotel, next to where the ferry Native Son docked. At night, they would go around in their small boat, untie, and steal small power boats, bring them back to their ship, and hoist them onboard. It took a couple of months for the police to put the pattern together, nut they did. Finally they got busted :).

Again, it happens EVERYWHERE :eek:. Just be careful and aware of your surroundings.

Boats..

Thank you for your service. ;)

Enjoy reading your posts.

Yes, I can relate to your duty stations.

The U.S.N. sent me on a cruise of Europe and, the Med with a crossing, down around the Caribbean, and, shipped me off the carrier to a duty station in Hawaii for 3 years....imagine that!?!? No drug problems for us....

Just serenity for my service time..we only had to be real careful of falling off of bar stools in Waikiki... :D

Archived