How much can you carry on ?

Princesss

I was wondering if anyone can please tell me how much you can carry on and what is the largest size luggage you are allowed to carry on. I want to really minimize my packing and would like to try to get it on myself instead of having to wait for it to get there in the evening.

This is what the FAQ's say about luggage~basically if it fits thru the scanner and you can carry it all by yourself~ you can carry it onboard~

Do you have luggage restrictions?

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits guests from bringing certain items on board, i.e., weapons, candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods. According to our policy, Carnival conducts security scanning of all baggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored on board for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection in onboard designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case. For additional information, please refer to the terms and conditions of your cruise ticket contract.

We suggest all luggage be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience to you or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom. Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel.

Guests, 21 years of age and older, may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage.

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage.

Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is unlocked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at your expense. Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the debarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area.

If you are traveling by air, we strongly recommend that you contact your air carrier to obtain their luggage allowance policy for the maximum number, size and weight of bags that each guest is allowed at no charge. Guests are responsible for luggage fees, excess luggage charges as well as any other charges imposed by air carriers or airports. We recommend that each guest verify with the airline representative that their luggage is checked-in to their final destination.

NOTE: There is limited porter service on 2/3-day Cruises-to-Nowhere.

LARGE COOLERS RESTRICTION:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its vessels. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”W x 12”L for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process; therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

DEBARKATION BAGGAGE ADVICE:

While on board, you will be given numbered debarkation tags to place on your luggage. Please fill out the information on the back of the tag and remember your zone number. When your zone is called, please proceed off the vessel to claim your luggage. It is easy to pick up the wrong bag, so check to make sure your name is on it. If your luggage is left at the pier, it will be forwarded to you at your expense. Claims for lost or damaged luggage must be made in writing with our debarkation personnel before you leave the pier area.

Cruise Ships (at least Carnival), unlike airlines, do not limit your number of bags/luggage you give to the porters, or you carry on.

Be careful though. The cabins are not usually ready until 1"30 or sometimes even later. Yes, sometimes earlier. But you will have to carry your luggage with you after boarding, until you are let down to your cabin.

The other concern is storage of your luggage. Most standard luggage will fit under the bed(s), as dead storage during the cruise. I do not know the height off the floor of the bed(s), but maybe Host Mach, or fire can answer that.

Most just carry on swimming attire, meds, electronics, and perosnal care items.

HMMMMMMMMMMMM~ I didn't realize you could carry on regular size luggage. Since we don't plan on arriving at the port until 2:30ish, I am thinking we might just carry it on with us.

Does anyone know if later arrival = later luggage arrival to cabin? Logically, I would think yes. Just curious :)

HMMMMMMMMMMMM~ I didn't realize you could carry on regular size luggage. Since we don't plan on arriving at the port until 2:30ish, I am thinking we might just carry it on with us.

Does anyone know if later arrival = later luggage arrival to cabin? Logically, I would think yes. Just curious :)

you cannot carry on any baggage that wont fit through the scanner which is about the size of the scanner at the airport for carry on luggage.

Bill

Yes, I carry on a regular size rolling suitcase each time; the mid-size one of my 3-suitcase set that I bought. As far as the luggage arrival, we usually show up to the port early. We're not among the first there, but we're not far behind them. And our checked luggage always takes quite awhile to get to our room. We're not the last to get our luggage, but we're not far ahead of the last. There's probably no definitive answer, but our experience leads me to think that they possibly do the LIFO method, last in, first out. So the earliest arrivals would get their luggage last, as their suitcases get buried under those of the later arrivals. This is all just my guess. Someone who has had a different experience will probably let me know here, which is why I emphasize that I'm just speculating.

you cannot carry on any baggage that wont fit through the scanner which is about the size of the scanner at the airport for carry on luggage.

Bill

Not true! Refer to post #2 which lists the size of 16X24-length doesn't matter.

Don't know why folks keep saying this. The reason for size restrictions on airplanes is that the bag has to fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. No such problem with a cruise ship.

I want to really minimize my packing and would like to try to get it on myself instead of having to wait for it to get there in the evening.

Princesss, I rather let the Porters and Crew members deal with heavy luggage... you are on vacation, the last thing you need is to lug heavy items in hard to maneuver areas thoughout the ship causing what could lead to a slip disc or some type of pulled tendon.. what a way to start a cruise.:confused:

Not sure if you have been on a cruise, its a total pain to lug luggages around the ship, Besides, most of the Elevators will be used by crew members so you may have to move those up or down stairs.

Fred

Don't know why folks keep saying this. The reason for size restrictions on airplanes is that the bag has to fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. No such problem with a cruise ship.

Thanks.... so many people on these boards believe this! I measured my suitcase last night and unpacked it's 10X22~ talked to DH last night and he said if we do decide to arrive after 1:00, it makes sense to carry it on and take directly to our cabin :)

For me personally, my vacation does not begin until I am nested.... so I am really like this idea

The only thing I carry onboard is a small luggage that has medical equipment, cameras, laptops etc. and Wendy carries onboard the Coleman Gas Grill that we set up out on the balcony. Don't want the Grill to get all bent up in the Luggage bins

Fred

I've seen terminal workers at the Port of NY send people with smaller bags back out to leave them with the porters.

The only thing I carry onboard is a small luggage that has medical equipment, cameras, laptops etc. and Wendy carries onboard the Coleman Gas Grill that we set up out on the balcony. Don't want the Grill to get all bent up in the Luggage bins

Fred

Okay Fred..... now that is funny! Somebody call security please :)

Those rolling duffel bags (the large ones with the zippered botom) fit the width requirement of the scanner but they are really long and tall. You can fit a lot of stuff in them. A lot. That's what we take as one of our carryons stuffed with water, wine and soda for our group of six, in addition to all kinds of other stuff. That zippered bottom is like a suitcase itself. At the scanner, they said it might not fit through, but, they didn't even seem to care, they would have just looked in it after it went through the walk thru scanner. It, however, did fit. I really think you can carry on whatever you want, as long as you can handle it.

Yep, we've carried on our regular sized luggage many times with no problem.

To be safe, I would keep all bags the same size as an airplane carry on. I was pointed to a luggage sizing thing like they have at airports and told that all bags carried on had to fit in that contraption. My bag was too long, but fit otherwise. I told them that the Carnival website said there was no length limit, but they didn't care. It fit or you checked it. This was in Galveston in 2010.

Well, I would hope it wouldn't come to that. However if the website is saying I can carry on my 24 inch tall suitcase (which is the largest one I have carried on in 17 cruises) then yes I would have a big problem with that.

Guess I'd better go on the website and print out that information so I can carry it with me on future Carnival cruises-just in case.

Guess I'd better go on the website and print out that information so I can carry it with me on future Carnival cruises-just in case.

Good idea! Although I really don't see it being an issue or any reason for Homeland Security to be involved.......I am going to print and put it in the front pocket of my suitcase :)

Archived