Special Occasion-what to expect?

Aquarian

I noticed on the cruise personalizer that I could note that we were celebrating a special occasion on our upcoming cruise which in my case would be a possible retirement (not written in stone at the moment). If I decide to retire and select that option, it asks which evening we want to celebrate. First of all, what would the celebration consist of and second, any suggestions on when the best night of the cruise would be to celebrate? I have no prior experience with special occasions onboard so I'm not sure what to expect.

Typically special occasions are marked by balloons over the cabin door. Last Princess cruise we got a special sign on our door as well. You will also receive a card delivered to your cabin that you can hand to your waitstaff on the evening you choose to celebrate. They will bring you a special cake and sometimes sing if appropriate, such as for a birthday. It is up to you what night you choose to celebrate as you can use the card any evening.

Sometimes the info on the Personalizer doesn't get passed along. Last year we sailed over my birthday and I was a little disappointed that there were no balloons on our door. Not that big of a deal but you may want to tell your steward what day it is.

The cake is about 4" but it's good. I hate having the waiters (a group from tables around you) sing to me. If I see them gathering near our table, I tell them "no, don't sing" They probably are just as glad not to have to. They have to stop what they are doing to come over and sing.

We never bother telling them anything about a birthday or anniversary but did so for our next cruise & they just sent me an email inviting me to spend more money on Spa services & dinners in my cabin with flowers, wine, etc. :D

Other than the balloons on your door & singing at you table with a little cake, they don't do much. ;)

So I can expect a sign on my door and a small cake at dinner and maybe balloons on the door too. That doesn't sound too painful. Thanks to everyone that answered.

You can also tell them you don't want any singing at your table if you choose, just bring the cake. What makes me laugh is that they reuse the candle for the next celebration as soon as you blow it out. :p

:eek:

EWWWW!!!! I wouldn't want to have that candle!

The candle is nothing unless someone was licking it.

I hate to tell you but on our last trip they scrounged up the unused rolls, bread sticks & butter from our table & others to reuse at another table for the next diners (anytime DR) and yes this was on Princess.

The special cake used to be a chocolate Love Boat, chocolate mouse wrapped in a chocolate shell coating. Delightful! You can ask for it if you'd like it better than a yellow cake, or ask what they are serving for special occasion celebrations - it IS YOUR special day, so do it up the way you like it.

I was wondering what to expect. I have listed 2 special occasions for us. We are getting married on the first full day of the cruise - sea day and listed as a general celebration and then honeymoon starting the 2nd full day of the cruise - honeymoon was one of the options.

I already have a sign for our door. I have to admit, I would love to have baloons also! Cake is not a problem since we will have our wedding cake.

Balloons may have been replaced by signs. Some ships may still have balloons, but some report they are gone. We noticed that there were many signs, both birthday and anniversary, but no balloons on the Sapphire this past March.

Balloons have gone generic, thus the need for the sign which tells what the occasion is. They now all say "Congratulations."

2391889070016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

The special cake used to be a chocolate Love Boat, chocolate mouse wrapped in a chocolate shell coating. Delightful! You can ask for it if you'd like it better than a yellow cake, or ask what they are serving for special occasion celebrations - it IS YOUR special day, so do it up the way you like it.

That cake sounds like it was meant for my sister. Is it still available and how do I go about making sure she has this cake. Is this a Maitre d question?

I noticed on the cruise personalizer that I could note that we were celebrating a special occasion on our upcoming cruise which in my case would be a possible retirement (not written in stone at the moment). If I decide to retire and select that option, it asks which evening we want to celebrate. First of all, what would the celebration consist of and second, any suggestions on when the best night of the cruise would be to celebrate? I have no prior experience with special occasions onboard so I'm not sure what to expect.

Don't expect anything. Then, even if you only get some cheesy baloons, its better than nothing. It's one of the few things that is still free.

I hate to tell you but on our last trip they scrounged up the unused rolls, bread sticks & butter from our table & others to reuse at another table for the next diners (anytime DR) and yes this was on Princess.

Well this makes me cringe big time!!!!! :eek: So someone can theoretically handle all the rolls and bread sticks while they decide what they want...then the basket is passed on to another table? Ya gotta be kidding???? And people wonder what else causes Noro to move thru a ship????

Thanks for cluing me in....that'll keep my hands off the bread baskets on Princess!!!!:rolleyes:

Well this makes me cringe big time!!!!! :eek: So someone can theoretically handle all the rolls and bread sticks while they decide what they want...then the basket is passed on to another table? Ya gotta be kidding???? And people wonder what else causes Noro to move thru a ship????

Thanks for cluing me in....that'll keep my hands off the bread baskets on Princess!!!!:rolleyes:

My wife thought I was full of it when I told her. The next evening I had her sitting facing the serving station so she could see first hand. What got my attention was the waiter vigorously shaking the butter dish to get the softened butter out of it. Next cruise I'm shooting a video if they're still doing it.

Luckily we dine early as possible but you can never tell if they save the stuff from lunch. :(

Archived