Requesting Info from All Former Cabana Dwellers

GJH123

Since the local meteorologists are predicting a colder than average winter, we have decided to escape with a cruise to the environs of Tahiti. We have tentatively booked a cabana to add to the decadence of the idyllic beaches, swaying palms, and beautiful sunsets. After considerable research, we have discovered that a)this is typhoon season and b) that daily rains are possible. We have been to Tahiti only once (land tour) and found it to be oppressively humid. We understand that the cabanas are equipped with retractable covers for shade and misting fans. Is there any other naturally circulating air to add to the comfort level? Do the blue windscreens, in addition to precluding any DiCaprio/Winslet poses, interfere with color perception--will our swaying palms, look more like blue spruce, our blue lagoons look especially blue?

Thanks for any insights you might provide to help us re-think our decision!

We had a cabana last year on the Auckland New Zealand to Sydney cruise. There is a fan, but I don't remember using it. We usually kept the overhead cover open and we were never uncomfortable. But we were never in the cabana in the rain. As I recall though the only sources of air movement would be from the fan or the open top.

I do not recall that the blue tint of the glass altered our color perception. I'm certainly not an expert but I think that your eyes get used to the tint and compensate for it, so the palm trees will look normal to you. However cameras are not that smart and any pictures you take through the blue glass will have that blue hue to them. I could not fix the blue hue satisfactorily with photoshop.

Steve

Let me preface this response by saying that you are on the cusp of completely over-thinking this. :rolleyes:

We understand that the cabanas are equipped with retractable covers for shade and misting fans. Is there any other naturally circulating air to add to the comfort level?

Deck 11 is naturally more breezy than the pool deck, but air movement very much depends on how many of the privacy curtains you, or your neighbors, have drawn closed. As the thermometer rises, you'll find that comfort sometimes trumps privacy.

Opening or closing the roof expands the ventilation options, and offers respite from that relentless tropical sun. You won't have that, two decks down.

Because of those heavenly misting fans, you will be able to use the cabana even after heat and humidity has made the pool deck untenable (unless you are IN the pool!).

Do the blue windscreens, in addition to precluding any DiCaprio/Winslet poses, interfere with color perception

The windscreens are tinted, so they do effect ones color perception to a moderate extent, much as sunglasses do.

We thought that the tint provided a relief from glare, which was most welcome.

However, they can add a slightly unnatural "hue to your view" when skies are gloomy or dark.

Just got off the Regatta's SF-to-NYC voyage, and reserved the starboard cabana for the duration. Excepting the day of the Canal transit, when all cabanas were taken, we were the only people up there (except the golfers and shuffleboard players). Despite frequent showers, not unexpected - we were, after all, in the Tropics in the rainy season - we had a truly swell time, and thoroughly enjoyed our cabana. Jim & Stan are quite right - the more "open" the entire space is, the better the ventilation. So privacy, such as it is with flapping "walls," comes at a price. The retractable cover mitigates superbright sunshine, but it is not solid, and will not protect you in a rainstorm or shower, such as you are very likely to experience in the South Seas. We knew, going in, that we would have rain, and we did. But we had many days of gorgeous weather, and were attentively tended to by a string of servers from the bar and/or Waves, bringing water, drinks, fruit skewers, lunches, beers, whatever-you-heart-desired.

My very favorite cabana day was the Canal transit day, which began with brilliant sunshine that was quickly overtaken by lowering, ominous clouds. No matter. All of us up there improvised when the rains came - I just got more towels and became "Lawrence of Panama," riding my Bali bed instead of a camel, and the lady in the neighboring cabana ordered a drink which she drank while curled up under the forward windshield. We had long since opened all curtains to let the air and all our "friends" in. The rain stopped, of course, at some point, and we semi-dried out. And we all enjoyed many "visitors" throughout the day, passengers who wanted a straight-ahead view from the top - all welcome - it was very festive, an all-day party, wet and dry. The rain - also of course - resumed, so we got soaked a second time, which only led to more giggles and drinks and such. The whole day was marvelous, and resolved itself in the early evening, after we sailed out of the bay into the Caribbean, in a most magnificent sunset.

I would counsel you about one thing: We opted to reserve a cabana on this 21-day cruise because we knew we were going to have 10 sea days (and ended up with 11), and therefore ample opportunities to enjoy it even with the inevitable rains. If you are on a port-intensive cruise, you may wish to think twice. How often will you have the chance to use it? Is it worth the added expense, whatever that is? My understanding is that pre-cruise reservations are much less expensive than day or weekly rentals once you have embarked. For instance, a cabana for the Canal transit day was $150. We paid only five times that amount for the entire three-week voyage. And are very happy, in retrospect, that we did. We may never again, for whatever reason(s), but we don't regret for a minute indulging ourselves for this one.

Bon Voyage!

Thanks for sharing your experience--sounds like you had a great time! I had always thought that the cabanas would be a wonderful way to travel through the canal.

How does this experience compare to a veranda? I was just thinking that with the atolls, islets, etc. of the South Pacific, that the cabanas might provide a superior viewing experience. We do have seven sea days scheduled. On the other hand, I was reading on the Paul Gaugin boards that their AC had a hard time keeping up with the tropical heat and humidity; so am trying to decide which might provide the more comfortable experience.

Whatever we decide, I'm sure the setting will provide many beautiful, scenic memories.

Thanks for your thoughts, Hunding. We are making the next Regatta Canal passage, departing the end of November, and have a cabana booked for the cruise. Your story of the Canal day is exactly what we hope it will be (sans the rain).

Can you tell me how the cabanas are assigned to those who have reserved, and which type would you recommend, middle or end space?

Thanks.

Thanks for your thoughts, Hunding. We are making the next Regatta Canal passage, departing the end of November, and have a cabana booked for the cruise. Your story of the Canal day is exactly what we hope it will be (sans the rain).

Can you tell me how the cabanas are assigned to those who have reserved, and which type would you recommend, middle or end space?

Thanks.

Everybody wants the ones on either end, which are not only larger but have a view to one side as well as forward.

Unfortunately, Oceania won't let you reserve a specific Cabana beforehand.

The Concierge does the assigning. Your Agent can put it in your notes that you would prefer a specific cabana, but you won't know if you have it or not until you read the assignment letter in your cabin.

Thanks.

I contacted Oceania several months before our September 9th departure date, and requested the starboard corner cabana, only because it afforded a different perspective from our port side balcony. But, as Jim & Stan pointed out, I didn't know until we boarded that O had honored my request.

Just want to remind you of some of the additional cabana perks. You will get an additional beach bag (ours was white terry cloth) filled with sun products, a visor, a hat and two large O towels (another thing to make room in the suitcase for).

One of our favorite perks is lunch service from WAVES and afternoon tea. We usually asked for burgers and fries, followed by ice cream and capped off with afternoon tea (oh, okay, I will have some sandwiches and cookies with that...). Probably the reason I had trouble getting into my clothes the last few days.

I have been sitting here waiting for my Texas burger, but it looks like I am outta luck!! How long til the next cruise????

The cabana is one of my favorite places on the ship and one of the best kept secrets. ENJOY!

We very much wanted one this time for our upcoming cruise so requested ours when we first booked the cruise. Hope to see you up on deck, TKS!

Maybe we'll be neighbors. That would be great!:)

I contacted Oceania several months before our September 9th departure date, and requested the starboard corner cabana, only because it afforded a different perspective from our port side balcony. But, as Jim & Stan pointed out, I didn't know until we boarded that O had honored my request.

May I ask what kind of cabin you had? Also, are there other benefits such as use of the therapy pool and deck off the spa? Thanks for answering!

May I ask what kind of cabin you had? Also, are there other benefits such as use of the therapy pool and deck off the spa? Thanks for answering!

We were in a PH3 (8060).

I know why you ask about use of the spa pool and deck -- I, too, read that these were perks of reserving a cabana. Alas, we apparently read outdated material, because this is no longer the case. However, when you book a spa service, the use of the spa pool and deck is available for your use for that entire day. Also, if you reserve a cabana, you are entitled to a 25% discount on all spa services only on port days. I was initially denied this discount for a manicure after the service, informed that the discount only applied to massages and facials; but after a few words with the concierge this was rectified. Nowhere in any Canyon Ranch or Oceania literature is there a stipulation that the discount is only for certain and specific services. By the way, the facial and massage I had were both very good. The manicure was, hands down, the worst I have ever had.

One of our favorite perks is lunch service from WAVES and afternoon tea. We usually asked for burgers and fries, followed by ice cream and capped off with afternoon tea

How do you arrange for this? I've never seen O staff in the cabana area. Have been thinking of a cabana for one of next year's cruises on Regatta.

Marlene

While you may not see staff in the cabana area, they see you. Within a few minutes of our arrival to our cabana, someone would magically appear to te d to our needs. Sometimes we didn't even know we needed it! On our August Alaska cruise, we were brought extra blankets and hot mulled wine as we slowly cruised past the glacier. The staff wanted to be sure we were warm enough. But, just in case you want something and no one is around, there is a phone in the cabana; just dial and someone will be there almost instantaneously. I arranged for the cabana as a surprise for my husband on his retirement celebration trip: he said it was the highlight of the cruise. We even loved it on cool overcast Alaska days.

Harriet

I thought there was a new perk for those in concierge & above that you had unlimited use of the T-Pool and sun deck in the spa area???

Lyn

Their perks look like they start in Spring of 2012

Hi Harriett,

Glad you enjoyed your cabana. You are so right - they seem to know when you get there and when you leave, because any dishes, glasses, etc. are immediately removed. It is almost as if they have cameras up there! We have always been very pleased with the service up there and the whole concept of privacy and service. My husband has a 12 day rule - after 12 days he just can't seem to be very social - the cabana is like a haven for him.

As far as ordering from the cabana, you will meet the cabana staff almost immediately (they are usually the pool staff). They do not miss a thing and always seem to know when you go up. We would often tell the cabana attendant (Aung for our last cruise) on our way up what we required and when. Our favorite was afternoon tea. By the second day, he knew how we enjoyed our tea and which sandwiches or cookies were our favorites. Half way thru the cruise he commented that we had not tried the cream puffs yet, and so he brought one for us to try. How cute!

Can't wait for the next O experience!! (Splendors From Down Under)

K

I thought there was a new perk for those in concierge & above that you had unlimited use of the T-Pool and sun deck in the spa area???

Was I dreaming this?

Lyn

Don't know about your dreams -- :) -- but I do know if it were so, there would be no room for anyone to move. The pool and the spa deck are v-e-r-y small, at least on the R ships. I cannot envision more than 10-12 people being or feeling comfortable at any one time.

Don't know about your dreams -- :) -- but I do know if it were so, there would be no room for anyone to move. The pool and the spa deck are v-e-r-y small, at least on the R ships. I cannot envision more than 10-12 people being or feeling comfortable at any one time.

check my message #20 above

I will not have a problem because we never book concierge or above ;)

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't seen any information on cabanas in the brochures. Can any one tell me if they are offered on the Marina?

Thank you,

Carrie

No cabanas on Marina. :mad: They replaced them with mini golf on the top deck. :confused:

The Sanctuary area on the Marina is very nice if you can get a lounger there. No reservations, first come first served. No "cabana boys" or other cabana perks but the bar servers seemed to come by fairly often and there's no charge to use that area.

Archived