Carnival Valor, 9/25/11: A "pink" review of the Eastern Caribbean.... PICTURES!!!

gapearl

Thanks so much for the great review!

We'll be sailing on the Valor from San Juan in March. I needed something during the Easter break here in NY and wanted to go on CCL again so we bit the bullet! My daughter was skeptical at first since it wasn't Disney :rolleyes: but I told her suck it up. She cheered up when I said it leaves from Puerto Rico.

Thanks for the tip on the cornbread (yuck) and I also loooove Miami Vices! I've been addicted since 2009 and have been drinking them since.

Thank you so much for posting this review-and for the food pictures. I’m cruising on the Valor in November and I can’t wait! I LOVE taking pictures of my cruise food too! My husband always laughed at me and I’ve never posted them in fear of looking like a weirdo-but I’m not a weirdo and will be posting my Valor food pictures…lol :D

Yes, definitely post your food pictures! I think everyone thought I was crazy my last few cruises for taking pictures of the food. I had to explain they were going online in a review. lol Thanks for reading and have fun on your cruise!

Great review. I hope the man in your life has a good job and lots of green. He will need it. LOL. enjoy your life.

Thanks for reading! No man in my life at the moment, but the one that comes along doesn't have to have lots of green. He must love cruises though! ;)

Thanks so much for the great review!

We'll be sailing on the Valor from San Juan in March. I needed something during the Easter break here in NY and wanted to go on CCL again so we bit the bullet! My daughter was skeptical at first since it wasn't Disney :rolleyes: but I told her suck it up. She cheered up when I said it leaves from Puerto Rico.

Thanks for the tip on the cornbread (yuck) and I also loooove Miami Vices! I've been addicted since 2009 and have been drinking them since.

What an awesome itinerary from San Juan! Your daughter will love it, maybe even more than Disney. ;) Hopefully you'll be able to get there a couple of days early and get to do some sightseeing. Old San Juan and El Yunque Rainforest are not to miss. I still love the Miami Vices too, so much so I spent $21 for one in Vegas last month! :eek: Oh well....

Have an awesome time on your cruise!

Great review and love the pics!!! Thanks for sharing all the details about the ship. I want to be on this ship next year Oct. for my 2nd cruise.

You're welcome! This will be a great ship for your second cruise. I feel like I need to read it again too since I'll be back on the Valor next year. lol Thanks for reading! :)

A big flea market. Buckeyes fans in the Caribbean, how about that!

LOVE it ! I am a Class of '64 Buckeye ! I would have flipped out to see this !

DSC00125-1.jpg

OMG! Me, too! Go Bucks!!!

LOVE this review!! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

• 2 months later...
I booked us early saver in a 4J cabin. Unfortunately, we got no price drops. These rooms are a well kept secret! I always book inside rooms and my PVP told me about these. The 4J cabins are the highest inside category on the Conquest class ships. They have a window with an obstructed view. Let me say the view is awesome! If you book OV rooms, consider one of these to save money. If you book inside rooms, pay a little extra for the window. It was only about $30 more TOTAL for the room to go from a 4B inside to a 4J. My cabin was 7206. All 4J cabins are handicapped accessible. The ones on the end have 2 beds that cannot be converted into a king.

DSC09354-1.jpg

DSC09355-1.jpg

Wow! The configuration of this room is perfect for 2 singles!! I love the shelf below the window too. And I've never seen one of the handicapped accessible rooms before so had no idea what the bathrooms looked like! Interesting!

I hadn’t seen any towel animals the previous 3 nights and asked him if we’d be getting one tonight. He said he had been leaving them all week. I got to the lido and asked my mom if she had seen the towel animals. She said yes, she hung them on the towel racks in the bathroom. I never got to see them or take pictures of them. :mad: I told her not to do that any more and leave them for me to see. Strike 2.

Strike 3 and she’s getting left here.

Bah-hahahah!!!! Kim, you kill me. I'm gonna have to do a CCL cruise just to hang with you.

Wow! The configuration of this room is perfect for 2 singles!! I love the shelf below the window too. And I've never seen one of the handicapped accessible rooms before so had no idea what the bathrooms looked like! Interesting!

Yes it was perfect for us! And I loved all the extra space in the bathroom.

Bah-hahahah!!!! Kim, you kill me. I'm gonna have to do a CCL cruise just to hang with you.

Hahaha love it! Come on over to the Carnival girl! :p

Fave dress yet.

Thanks! Can't believe I found it at a consignment store for $6!

Loving your review and ALL your adorable dresses, taking my niece this weekend to dress shop for our upcoming trip, hopefully ours are as cute as yours .. : )

Can't wait to try The Miami Vice drink and check out the secret deck ..

Thanks for reading and for the compliments! Shopping for the cruise is the best part. I already started buying swimsuits for my next cruise back in September when they were all on sale. Now it's time to start searching for dresses. Have fun!

Hello,

Did you enjoy your stay at the Sheraton? My family and I will be staying there next month before we board the Valor. Also, does the hotel have shuttle to the port? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi! Yes, we enjoyed the Sheraton. I'm not sure if they had a shuttle or not because we had a rental car. Because it was by the airport, they might not. Most of the time the hotels with shuttles charge $10-15 per person. You might be better off paying a flat rate for a cab. Have fun on your cruise!

Thanks for the review!

You're welcome! Thanks for reading Kirk!

• 2 months later...
The lido lunch theme today was American food. Part of that buffet was cornbread, or at least Carnival’s interpretation of what they think cornbread is. I have lived in Tennessee, Texas, and Georgia. I’m 110% southern girl. I know good cornbread. I need my southern folks to back me up here.

This is cornbread.

cornbread-1.jpg

This is also cornbread.

cornbread2-1.jpg

THIS IS NOT CORNBREAD!!!

DSC09675-1.jpg

DSC09673-1.jpg

Ok, technically it is cornbread because it’s bread with corn on top. However, you can’t put that in front of someone from the south and not expect to get flamed. Paula Deen would have a fit if she tasted this. Even without the corn on top, the bread wasn’t that good. It tasted very “doughy”, like it wasn’t baked long enough.

I’d like to make a deal with the Carnival chefs. Feel free to fly into Atlanta one day. I’ll pick you up from the airport and drive you up 85N to Peachtree Street, where our final destination will be Gladys Knight’s Chicken & Waffles. We’ll order a basket of cornbread and dish on Dancing With The Stars and you can show me pictures of your kids. On the drive back to the airport, I’ll take you around the 285 loop to This Is It Soul Food and get you a couple dozen corn muffins to snack on for your plane ride back. You’ll be back in Florida in time for sailaway. This will give you a taste of good, southern cornbread.

I never thought I’d be writing a dissertation on cornbread, but this needed to be said. :)

OMG, Im a southern girl too, and that looks like a biscuit with a scoop of corn on top, lol...

• 4 weeks later...