Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Hello all, I finally had a chance to peruse this thread over the Holidays. Wow, there's a lot of info - thank you all for your comments / experiences.

We are booked on the first Imperial Jewels tour of 2013 - departing Toronto March 3, 2013 with forced overnight in Beijing, and an official tour start date of March 5.

I have reviewed the information on obtaining a China Tourist Visa, and one of the pieces of info necessary appears to be a full itinerary of our stay in China. Currently I have not received this documentation; I only have a booking confirmation showing key tour dates, but without hotel information. Through our Travel Agent, we have been told that Viking issues final itineraries 21-45 days before departure. (I'm really hoping it's 45 days!)

I wonder if others here managed to get their China visa with just the Booking Confirmation? Or did you wait until your itin is issued? My understanding is that turn-around is approx a week for the visa if we go in-person in Toronto, so we're cutting it kind of close. I also have travel to the US during the month of February requiring my passport, so I'm wondering if I should try NOW to obtain a visa even though I don't have the full itinerary?

Would appreciate others' experiences. Thanks!

I have reviewed the information on obtaining a China Tourist Visa, and one of the pieces of info necessary appears to be a full itinerary of our stay in China. Currently I have not received this documentation; I only have a booking confirmation showing key tour dates, but without hotel information. Through our Travel Agent, we have been told that Viking issues final itineraries 21-45 days before departure. (I'm really hoping it's 45 days!)

I'm wondering if I should try NOW to obtain a visa even though I don't have the full itinerary?

Would appreciate others' experiences. Thanks!

We received our hotel information months before receiving the final itinerary. We had booked directly with Viking, not through a TA.

I would ask your TA to call Viking now to get the hotel information.

Hello all, I finally had a chance to peruse this thread over the Holidays. Wow, there's a lot of info - thank you all for your comments / experiences.

We are booked on the first Imperial Jewels tour of 2013 - departing Toronto March 3, 2013 with forced overnight in Beijing, and an official tour start date of March 5.

I wonder if others here managed to get their China visa with just the Booking Confirmation? Or did you wait until your itin is issued? My understanding is that turn-around is approx a week for the visa if we go in-person in Toronto, so we're cutting it kind of close. I also have travel to the US during the month of February requiring my passport, so I'm wondering if I should try NOW to obtain a visa even though I don't have the full itinerary?

Would appreciate others' eall tperiences. Thanks!

Our TA emails us the booking confirmation. The hotels are listed on that except for the Hong Kong one (we are doing the extension). We have had this information for several months. Ask your TA again or ask Viking directly, although they may not talk to you since you booked with a TA. Good Luck.

Welcome to Viking China!! Glad you have joined us. :)

You live in Canada and getting a visas will be slightly different from what we are experiencing in the US--the timing, the process, what they say they need vs. what they will accept (itineraries for instance), etc. I have a vague recollection that since we were traveling with Viking that was all we needed to supply for our itinerary--but don't quote me since as I said, a vague recollection and the Chinese consulates in our two countries may operate differently.

We would love it if you would report back on your visas application process so that we have some info to share with our Canadian readers. We know that Viking sends visas applications to its US passengers with some of the info already filled in for us. We also know that Viking gives us the name of a visa service and that other services exist (some people already have a service that they have worked with in the past). But, what can Canadian passengers expect?

Maybe we have some Brits or Aussies who will do the same for their countries?

In any case, as caribill and CTGirl have said, contact Viking or your TA for clarification as to what you will actually need, so that you can get the application process started sooner rather than later.

Hi everyone! We went on th Emerald and did the Imperial Jewel cruise in Sep 2012, excellent cruise and loved the time we chose, the weather was great only sprinkled a couple of days, loved the holiday setting up with flowers etc for 1 Oct we left the day before and traffic jams.

Anyhow the reason I am posting is our great guide Johanna said to only buy from the places Viking recognized so we purchased our terracotta warriors from the museum and had them shipped they were very heavy. We had them shipped to our daughters because we were moving from Germany back to the states and did not have her zip code causing a delay in their arrival but that was totally our fault. Anyhow, they arrived and the general was in perfect condition since they pack them in a plastic bag then fill around them in the box with that spray insulation foam. The second warrior was the archer on bended knee and his hand broke. I could not find a working email for them online and only knew the name of the maker from the mailing slip. I thought I was just going to have to accept the loss when it occurred to me to try Viking. Well they got right on it and luckily I checked my spam folder since their emails went there somehow and after sending a photo of the broken warrior another one is being sent right now to replace it. Johanna stayed right on it and made sure it was taken care of. Wow what customer service! I would only buy expensive items from stores Viking supports it is well worth it ....wish I would of purchased one of the silk paintings so I guess I have to go back. :p THANK YOU VIKING!!!

luckily I checked my spam folder since their emails went there somehow

Nice to know they also provide such great service after you are home.

My pre-trip e-mails from Viking also went into spam folders, even when I tried two different e-mail addresses. I never figured out what is in their e-mails that spam filters do not like.

That's right. Permission to enter China expires 90 days after the visa is issued (and I don't remember how long a stay it is valid for). So, since April 12 is the 102nd day of the year, you don't want your visa issued before January 12.

You should always get the one year multiple entry visa since it is the same cost as the single entry and give you more time.

You should always get the one year multiple entry visa since it is the same cost as the single entry and give you more time.

It is the same price for USA citizens, but I think the three different types (single entry, double entry and multiple entry) have three different costs for citizens of some other countries.

It is the same price for USA citizens, but I think the three different types (single entry, double entry and multiple entry) have three different costs for citizens of some other countries.

You are right Caribill. Canadian citizens have the option of applying for single-entry, double-entry, multiple entries within 6 months, or multiple entries within a year. All have different (escalating) fees.

Welcome to Viking China!! Glad you have joined us. :)

You live in Canada and getting a visas will be slightly different from what we are experiencing in the US--the timing, the process, what they say they need vs. what they will accept (itineraries for instance), etc. I have a vague recollection that since we were traveling with Viking that was all we needed to supply for our itinerary--but don't quote me since as I said, a vague recollection and the Chinese consulates in our two countries may operate differently.

We would love it if you would report back on your visas application process so that we have some info to share with our Canadian readers. We know that Viking sends visas applications to its US passengers with some of the info already filled in for us. We also know that Viking gives us the name of a visa service and that other services exist (some people already have a service that they have worked with in the past). But, what can Canadian passengers expect?

Maybe we have some Brits or Aussies who will do the same for their countries?

In any case, as caribill and CTGirl have said, contact Viking or your TA for clarification as to what you will actually need, so that you can get the application process started sooner rather than later.

We live in Alberta and used an Agent:

http://www.goldmountaintravel.ca/GoldMountainVisaApplicationEn.htm

there are similar agents in Toronto or Vancouver etc.

Here is some info from the Calgary consulate:

http://calgary.china-consulate.org/eng/lsfw/qzsx/

Note: unless you plan on going from Hong Kong to China after being in China, a single entry Visa should suffice. Ignore the USA Visa package from Viking. We were going to Tibet and Viking confused everyone with information intended for only USA residents. The agent above helped us prepare the application where we were unsure and told us to get the single entry Visa based on our itinerary.

Note the dates ... you do not want to apply too early and have your Visa run out while you are there . We had no problems using a single entry visa to and from Tibet.

We had no problems using a single entry visa to and from Tibet.

I think it is because Tibet is under Chinese control and in their consideration, you aren't actually leaving China.

Ignore the USA Visa package from Viking.

Maybe that is a good suggestion to make to Viking: make sure that Canadian passengers get Canadian specific info rather than the US visa package.

Thanks for the info on your experience, NivCruise! I've looked into these visa services, but I actually live in downtown Toronto, so am very close to the local visa application service center, and can drop off my application.

I'm still waiting for an updated booking confirmation with some hotel info. My TA has once again requested this from Viking. Perhaps we booked too early (fully paid May 2012), but the most recent version of the booking confirmation only says "Hotel, Beijing, 3 nights; Hotel, Xian, 1 night" etc., without actually specifying which hotel. I think this may be problematic for my visa application, since the application asks us to list the hotels.

When my TA last contacted Viking, we were told itineraries are issued 21-45 days before departure (departure March 3). Considering Chinese New Year is in February and the visa application center will be closed for a few days, as well as some business travel requiring my passport over the next several weeks, I'm feeling a bit anxious about getting this task complete!! :(

Just FYI - when we applied for our visas for our November 2012 trip, we asked for multiple entry, but were given single entry visas. (We're in the US.)

Just FYI - when we applied for our visas for our November 2012 trip, we asked for multiple entry, but were given single entry visas. (We're in the US.)

When I applied directly with the consulate in LA for my August 2012 trip I got multiple entry that is still good.

Update: My TA was able to get us an updated Booking Confirmation showing paid in full, with flight info as well as hotel info (Ritz Carlton Financial in Beijing; Hilton Xian; Portman Ritz-Carlton in Shanghai) all listed.

So, with this in hand, I'm ready to apply for my Chinese visa next week when I'm back from my US business travels. I will update again and provide information on the process once I get my visa.

To recycle lady: Thank you for your review!!! I don't go to China until the fall so I am hanging on every word of these posts. I am a bit of a Diet Coke fan also. Is there Diet Coke on the Emerald? Should I purchase some before we board?? Thanks

Sorry! I just saw your post now!

Diet Coke is not nearly as easy to find as it is here. In fact, any diet drinks are not around much. Coke Zero was easier than Diet Coke to locate--sometimes you have to take whatever they have!

I KNOW this does not belong on the China Viking thread....

But i am so excited--we just booked the Russian Waterways of the Czars Viking cruise for September 2013! I'm sold on the company.

Can't find a thread here on CC. Does anyone know if there is a Russia thread anywhere?

But i am so excited--we just booked the Russian Waterways of the Czars Viking cruise for September 2013! I'm sold on the company.

Can't find a thread here on CC. Does anyone know if there is a Russia thread anywhere?

Don't see one either. But glad you are excited.

You should start one if there isn't one that is fairly recent! Sometimes that is the way you have to go to get what you want. You can start it here in River Cruising or in River Cruising Roll Call. Either place should get traffic.

Here's something in the river cruising roll calls for 2012: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1559518 It is all river cruises in Russia not just Viking. In any case, you should read it because it looks like there is a TON of helpful information there if my read of the just the last page is any indication. There are almost 800 posts and a good number of participants. With the 2012 date in the title, I think that this one will end up settling to the bottom.

Here is a short thread in River Cruising: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=685.

That is as far down the list as I went.

I am very excited and also very nervous. We just mailed our Visa applications in today for our cruise starting on April 14th. I was so nervous about it I almost missed (but did not) the part where you had to include your detailed itinerary from the tour company. I am also nervous because we sent our passports in. We always use our passports to fly, even domestically, and we are flying home from Florida next week. In my head I know we can use our driver's license but we have not used our licenses since before 9-11. I sure hope we can get home ok.

I am very excited and also very nervous. We just mailed our Visa applications in today for our cruise starting on April 14th. I was so nervous about it I almost missed (but did not) the part where you had to include your detailed itinerary from the tour company. I am also nervous because we sent our passports in. We always use our passports to fly, even domestically, and we are flying home from Florida next week. In my head I know we can use our driver's license but we have not used our licenses since before 9-11. I sure hope we can get home ok.

Hi CTGirl, I can relate.

Now that I have received our updated Booking Confirmation with hotel bookings, my family is submitting their visa application to a local application center. They tried to convince me to submit mine at the same time, since I also have a NEXUS card for travel. However, I remember having been told somewhere that for cross-border trips by air (but not by car), a NEXUS card must be backed up by a supporting passport if I happen to be stopped at the border. Therefore, I am waiting until I've done this week's business travel, then will submit my application on my own.

That said, I am a frequent flyer, and have observed many passengers using their driver's license as ID on US domestic flights. I'm sure you won't have a problem, because you're remaining in the same country. (When flying within Canada, I only show my license, and don't even carry my passport with me!)

Hi CTGirl, I can relate.

Now that I have received our updated Booking Confirmation with hotel bookings, my family is submitting their visa application to a local application center. They tried to convince me to submit mine at the same time, since I also have a NEXUS card for travel. However, I remember having been told somewhere that for cross-border trips by air (but not by car), a NEXUS card must be backed up by a supporting passport if I happen to be stopped at the border. Therefore, I am waiting until I've done this week's business travel, then will submit my application on my own.

That said, I am a frequent flyer, and have observed many passengers using their driver's license as ID on US domestic flights. I'm sure you won't have a problem, because you're remaining in the same country. (When flying within Canada, I only show my license, and don't even carry my passport with me!)

Thanks for the support. I thought about waiting until we got home to send our applications in, but then we want to come back to Florida in March and we want everything to be ok with the China trip before we do. So we figured that if we sent the applications in now we would get them back in enough time to book flights for Florida and be worry free.

We just got out itinerary through today, hadn't been expecting it so soon.

We will be flying from the UK with KLM and are staying at the Ritz-Carlton Portman in Shanghai, the Westin Xian and Westin Chaoyang in Beijing.

We have just been looking at the hotels and they all look very nice, has got us all excited but still 5 months to wait.

I know Theresa is on the same trip, wondered if you had got any details yet, also is there anyone else joined this trip on 30 June 2013.

Pam & Richard

We just got out itinerary through today, hadn't been expecting it so soon.

We will be flying from the UK with KLM and are staying at the Ritz-Carlton Portman in Shanghai, the Westin Xian and Westin Chaoyang in Beijing.

We have just been looking at the hotels and they all look very nice, has got us all excited but still 5 months to wait.

I know Theresa is on the same trip, wondered if you had got any details yet, also is there anyone else joined this trip on 30 June 2013.

Pam & Richard

We stayed at both od those hotels and they are wonderful. All the hotels that Viking uses are wonderful. There is a very nice supermarket underneath the Ritz in Shanghai.

Have a wonderful time.

Edited by H2Otstr

Update: My TA was able to get us an updated Booking Confirmation showing paid in full, with flight info as well as hotel info (Ritz Carlton Financial in Beijing; Hilton Xian; Portman Ritz-Carlton in Shanghai) all listed.

So, with this in hand, I'm ready to apply for my Chinese visa next week when I'm back from my US business travels. I will update again and provide information on the process once I get my visa.

We are on the same cruise Viking Emerald March 5, 2013 and I was able to get the hotel info from Viking by posting a question on their page--they replied within an hour by e-mail. However being in the U.S. Viking told me to just write in "Pre-Paid Viking River Cruise" in the space (we have other hotels to put in also as we're staying longer post-cruise) and in the "inviter" space. I realize this may be different from Canada.