Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Hi, My husband and I are leaving in a week and a half for our Imperial Jewels of China trip. Please let me know your opinions on the Yang Dynasty Show and the Peking Duck Dinner and Opera. I would appreciate it.

Rita

We were there last May (2011), so this info is one season old. I went to both of these optional dinners/shows. The Peking Duck Dinner -- the food wasn't bad, except for the duck, which was mediocre. (But we'd been in Beijing on our own before the Viking tour began and had fantastic Peking Duck at Made in China.) The opera itself was (thankfully) "dumbed down" for westerners into two one-half hour stories each. I thought it was very interesting to experience this aspect of Chinese culture, and I particularly enjoyed the opportunity we had prior to the opera to watch one of the performers in the elaborate ritual of putting on his makeup and costume. My partner, however, skipped this evening (something about preferring bamboo shoots under her fingernails to Chinese opera) and we were each happy with the choice we had made. :)

The Tang Dynasty dinner theatre --- below mediocre food, everyone at our table thought so. The show itself struck us as completely made up for tourists, a bit dull, some of it was interesting. I know we are in the minority here in not raving about it, but it was the one truly disappointing evening of the entire trip. In hindsight, I would much rather have used the time to see the old City Walls in Xi'an than spent the evening on this (but that wasn't a choice).

Have a great trip. China with Viking is extraordinary!

The Tang Dynasty dinner theatre --- below mediocre food, everyone at our table thought so. The show itself struck us as completely made up for tourists, a bit dull, some of it was interesting. I know we are in the minority here in not raving about it, but it was the one truly disappointing evening of the entire trip. In hindsight, I would much rather have used the time to see the old City Walls in Xi'an than spent the evening on this (but that wasn't a choice).

On the other hand, DH and I really enjoyed the evening even though we knew that it was a tourist show (much like the flamenco tablao shows in Madrid). We also had no complaints about the food; it was dinner show food and we weren't expecting Jacques Pepin. That Viking continues to offer the show means that enough passengers are choosing to go and that there have not been many complaints on the evaluation forms.

So you see that opinions about the various shows and whether you should attend range across the board. If you go back through the posts, of this thread and part 1, you will see that the go-no go discussion has been pretty much divided since Viking made the Opera/Duck and Tang Dynasty optional excursions. Which means ultimately that you still have to decide for yourself what to do. Reading some -- not all-- of the past discussion will help.

I will, however, agree whole-heartedly with Turtles, China with Viking is extraordinary!

143655-1275945814-1-l.jpg

Thank you so much for the information. Have a wonderful trip home.

Rita

Hi Rita

It appears that we both live in the area. For curiosity sake, how far in advance of your trip did you receive the flight tickets and what connecting airport in the US did Viking chose? I am leaving in July.

Thanks

Hanna

We were there last May (2011), so this info is one season old. I went to both of these optional dinners/shows. The Peking Duck Dinner -- the food wasn't bad, except for the duck, which was mediocre. (But we'd been in Beijing on our own before the Viking tour began and had fantastic Peking Duck at Made in China.) The opera itself was (thankfully) "dumbed down" for westerners into two one-half hour stories each. I thought it was very interesting to experience this aspect of Chinese culture, and I particularly enjoyed the opportunity we had prior to the opera to watch one of the performers in the elaborate ritual of putting on his makeup and costume. My partner, however, skipped this evening (something about preferring bamboo shoots under her fingernails to Chinese opera) and we were each happy with the choice we had made. :)

We just came back three days ago so I can provide an "update". I completely agree with turtles06's assessment but let me elaborate a bit.

Beijing excursion - Peking duck and Beijing opera. I was very excited about authentic Beijing duck as my Chinese friends told me I should be. I didn't really care about the Beijing opera and, in fact, I didn't realize until the last minute that they were together in one excursion. The restaurant and theater are in one building so once dinner is finished everyone moves next door into the theater. The theater is set up with tables down front (where the Viking group is seated) and drinks (for $) were offered along with snacks. We had just finished dinner so is was pretty funny. The duck dinner was very much like all Chinese dinners we had on the tour, quite good but nothing to knock your socks off. The duck is served last and it is anticlimatic. When it is put on the table someone shows you how to prepare it - pancake on plate, dip sliced duck in plum sauce and place on pancake, put the pre-sliced cucumber and green onion on and wrap the pancake. That's it! So, I was disappointed. If I had it to do over I would check with the hotel concierge for an appropriate restaurant for me to have authentic Beijing duck and I would take my self out. You can even have the concierge write something for the taxi driver and the restaurant if you are nervous about communicating in Chinese. The opera, on the other hand was unexpectedly charming. This year it is divided into 4 15-minute long scenes, each of which is totally charming. It is very easy to follow the storyline as there are subtitles in English (on the wall). The costumes are divine, the hand movements are carefully controlled "mudra" and the foot movements look very much like properly done Tai Chi. The sound of the singing itself is so unusual I didn't even find it off-putting. I just let the sound be what it was without comment or criticism, I just had never heard anything like it before. LOVED the opera! Many people joked about it but I have complete respect for the work that went into the performance and I appreciated the little taste of something outside my ordinary comfort zone.

Tang Dynasty Dinner show in Xi'an - This is billed as authentic costuming and original (and extinct) instrumentation. Many people had given positive reviews and I was very interested in the research that had gone into the costuming and instruments. I have studied Tai Chi and was excited to see a "pipa" for the first time (there is a movement called "wield the pipa"). The instrumentalists were on the stage as we entered, playing as people were seated at the dinner show venue. There were various instrumentalists and singers who took the stage as we were served our meal. The service was mediocre to poor and only the first appetizer was tasty. After that, it was ordinary dinner show fare. When the show started it took me about 10 minutes to be completely disappointed as I realized what had been done. I believe it is true that a great deal of research went into preparation of authentic costumes and there is no question there was a great deal of research and work that went into constructing extinct instruments and for the musicians to learn to play them. All of that has my admiration but I wish I had been prepared for the nature of the actual show, which was far from authentic and which spoiled it all for me. The choreography and musical accompaniment during the show itself made me want to get up and leave immediately (it turns out I should have as those who didn't come to the show went outside to the town square where people were dancing spontaneously and having a wonderful time). If you are a "show" person you will probably find it quite nice. I am not a "show" person. I came to China to try to see something authentic but what was presented was akin to Esther Williams on stage. Honestly, for many of the numbers, I expected to see her come swimming out. I realized then, of course, that there are no records of the actual movements of the people or the sound of their music during the Tang period so staying away from anything that could be misunderstood as true Tang Dynasty music and movement was probably a good idea and they chose to provide a show that would be pleasing to a western mind. And, for the most part, they succeeded in providing a show that most people found to be "much better than that opera". I was deeply disappointed but equally surprised to hear my fellow tourists talking about how much they enjoyed it. So, if you are a "show" person you will probably love it!

I have been reading the posts carefully (I think) but can't get a handle on the temperatures we will have in October. The weather network seems to say anything between mid 40's to high 80's. I don't know whether to pack summer or fall clothes - help anyone! Fleece jackets or down vests!! Also, we are doing the extension Shanghai to Hong Kong - is anyone else doing this? Has anyone read any posts about this extension. I hope I'm not missing stuff in my reading. We fly into Beijing 3 days early and are staying at Raffles and then transfer to the Viking hotel - Ritz Carlton - for the start of the tour. We opted to stay closer to the main area of the city rather than in the financial district for our own time. Any help or info as always is much appreciated.:)

I have been reading the posts carefully (I think) but can't get a handle on the temperatures we will have in October. The weather network seems to say anything between mid 40's to high 80's. I don't know whether to pack summer or fall clothes - help anyone!

Pack as though you were traveling from Philadelphia to New Orleans then south of Maimi in October to give you some perspective; the latitudes of those cities are similar to Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. This year the first tour experienced snow in Beijing...

Brace for the possibility of needing layers in Beijing; the city can be warm, but the Great Wall is at a higher elevation and subjected to some blustery winds with a noticeable wind chill. It should be much warmer on the Yangtze...we only needed jackets when it was raining in March.

We fly into Beijing 3 days early and are staying at Raffles and then transfer to the Viking hotel - Ritz Carlton - for the start of the tour. We opted to stay closer to the main area of the city rather than in the financial district for our own time. Any help or info as always is much appreciated.:)

Last May, we flew into Beijing three days early as well, and stayed at the Grand Hyatt (for the same reasons of convenience you cite) before heading over to the Ritz Carlton Financial Street to start the Viking tour. Beijing is an AMAZING city; I put up a summary of our three pre-Viking days here. (It's on the original "Viking China" threadzilla.) If you have any questions, just ask. We loved Beijing. I wish it weren't half a world away.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29264391&postcount=4680

Pack as though you were traveling from Philadelphia to New Orleans then south of Maimi in October to give you some perspective; the latitudes of those cities are similar to Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. This year the first tour experienced snow in Beijing...

Brace for the possibility of needing layers in Beijing; the city can be warm, but the Great Wall is at a higher elevation and subjected to some blustery winds with a noticeable wind chill. It should be much warmer on the Yangtze...we only needed jackets when it was raining in March.

The problem is figuring out 'Philadelphia' :D, which can be chilly in October or it can be experiencing 'Indian Summer' with mild temps and gorgeous sunshine. Even worse, last year's weather is no indication for what this year's will be.

In other words, as they say on those investment ads, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance.

Edited by Peregrina651

My fears have been realized! Layers - more clothes - less room for those MB pens, TC warriors and Mao T-shirts!! Thank you Turtle06 for the summary of your own 3 day stay in Beijing. You saw most of the things I have earmarked and a few others I'll have to find out more about. We are 2 women travelling together and will get a guide for at least 1 of our days maybe 2. I've noted Sunflower Lee's name as a guide to contact. Do we need to know where we want to go or does she have a set course that she covers? So much information to absorb - these boards are wonderful. Thanks everyone for sharing info!!:):)

We

Hi Rita

It appears that we both live in the area. For curiosity sake, how far in advance of your trip did you receive the flight tickets and what connecting airport in the US did Viking chose? I am leaving in July.

Thanks

Hanna

We booked our own air with United. We are flying from Jacksonville to Chicago and then on to Shanghai. The reverse from Beijing to Chicago and then on to Jacksonville.

We received our tickets about 2 1/2 weeks before trip. We asked our travel agent to have Viking send them directly to us instead of her.

Edited by Jaxlady

Thank you Turtle06 for the summary of your own 3 day stay in Beijing. You saw most of the things I have earmarked and a few others I'll have to find out more about. We are 2 women travelling together and will get a guide for at least 1 of our days maybe 2. I've noted Sunflower Lee's name as a guide to contact. Do we need to know where we want to go or does she have a set course that she covers? So much information to absorb - these boards are wonderful. Thanks everyone for sharing info!!:):)

I emailed Sunflower with the things we were interested in doing (I didn't want to duplicate what we'd be covering with Viking), and she helped plan what would be best when and in what order, and how we'd get there. And she told us when we were trying to do too much (at Mutianyu). :) But I am sure she would also suggest things if you asked.

Have fun planning!

Edited by Turtles06

Peregrina

This is a gorgous photo and I am sure not easy to take!

Hanna, not that difficult, more lucky than anything. We were in the front row of tables and slightly off to the side, so there was plenty of light. I tried to find a seat where I wouldn't bother the people around me with my picture taking. I had the ISO set to 1600 (the best I can do) and the performers were kind enough to hold still long enough for me to shoot. It helped that I was using a DSLR--no shutter delay. One day I will learn how to correct the color balance so it doesn't look so yellow. I love digital. I can just keep shooting and shooting and hope that maybe I get something.

I was deeply disappointed but equally surprised to hear my fellow tourists talking about how much they enjoyed it. So, if you are a "show" person you will probably love it!

I am very grateful for this honest and extensive review. I am really appreciate the culture of a different society, after all that's what I want to experience when travelling. So your review helped me solidify my plans of going to the opera and skipping the acrobatic show. Thank you.

I am very grateful for this honest and extensive review. I am really appreciate the culture of a different society, after all that's what I want to experience when travelling. So your review helped me solidify my plans of going to the opera and skipping the acrobatic show. Thank you.

I'm just piping in here to clarify. There are three shows. One included as part of the program (the acrobats in Shanghai) and two optional dinner shows that you pay for (the opera/Peking duck in Beijing and the Tang Dynasty show in Xi'an).

IMHO, the acrobats in Shanghai are not to be missed, even if you have seen such shows before.

I'm just piping in here to clarify. There are three shows. One included as part of the program (the acrobats in Shanghai) and two optional dinner shows that you pay for (the opera/Peking duck in Beijing and the Tang Dynasty show in Xi'an).

IMHO, the acrobats in Shanghai are not to be missed, even if you have seen such shows before.

We enjoyed both the Shanghai and Xi'an shows. We did not go to the Beijing show.

Shanghai Acrobats show

2937798710016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

Tang Dynasty Show

2222215020016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

We enjoyed both the Shanghai and Xi'an shows. We did not go to the Beijing show.

Shanghai Acrobats show (photo)

Tang Dynasty Show (photo)

Love the photos. The one stunt I would have like to have photographed was the woman doing the pirouette while balancing on the guy's shoulder! IMHO, that was the most amazing of all the stunts they did. Does anyone know, is it still part of the act?

143655-1275945814-1-l.jpg

So, I am confused again. Where was this photo taken? I thought it was the opera, but now I am not sure. Do you know what that is this is sticking out of her dress below the waist? Just curious.

Edited by bayerisch

Thanks for clarifying. I was confused thinking the acrobats were part of the Tang D show. Still undecided about the shows at this point.

The only thing I have decided is to try and have Poking Duck on my own, maybe Day 1 in Beijing.

I would like to take something for the school. What is advised as far as school supplies? Or any other suggestions. I'm making my list and checking it twice..... Leaving next Saturday!!!

Thanks

Hi, My husband and I are leaving in a week and a half for our Imperial Jewels of China trip. Please let me know your opinions on the Yang Dynasty Show and the Peking Duck Dinner and Opera. I would appreciate it.

Rita

Hi, we will be on the IJ tour, leaving Beijing on June 4. Is that your trip as well?

I would like to take something for the school. What is advised as far as school supplies? Or any other suggestions. I'm making my list and checking it twice..... Leaving next Saturday!!!

Thanks

We brought several packages of wooden pencils and gave them directly to a teacher.

Even though they may have been manufactured in that part of the world, we were told the ones they can get locally are of lower quality.

So, I am confused again. Where was this photo taken? I thought it was the opera, but now I am not sure. Do you know what that is this is sticking out of her dress below the waist? Just curious.
That is the Tang Dynasty show. It appears to be her leg that is sticking out

I would like to take something for the school. What is advised as far as school supplies?
I took pens, paper and lots of craft supplies (all sorts of things like stick on eyes!) that were flat and easily fit in the suitcase. At the school we went to there was a box outside to leave things like this so that they could be checked and given out to the children fairly

Sean :)

Hanna -- sorry for the confusion. The picture was taken at the Tang Dynasty Show. No idea what is sticking out. I hadn't really seen it until I posted it here. I can only assume it is part of her costume.

That is the Tang Dynasty show. It appears to be her leg that is sticking out

:)

Wow, Sean, you are right!

What we see is the pointed toe of her left foot; her dance shoes are a dark red that look very brown in the yellowish light and she has lifted her leg to waist height.