Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Wow..I finally found someone else on the boards doing the Viking Imperial Jewels of China on June 3,2013. Brandy we're a group of 4 and are freaking out a little at the UNKNOWN of it all. This will be our first trip with Viking and the first trip to Asia. We are SO excited though. I can't even imagine how you are considering you'll be doing this with no official traveling companion. From what I understand we'll all be in relatively small groups so hopefully you'll click with someone in your group...if not I'll keep an eye out for someone who seems to be "on their own" and will snag you to join us if at all possible. LOL! I'm still making my way thru this amazing long thread, so maybe I'll comment on something later. Take care! ~Missy~

I just found your post!!

It's soooo nice to find someone else who is on the same cruise and you are so thoughtful to try to include me in your group.

Believe it or not, I am leaving tomorrow for Houston to start a 41-day cruise that ends in Singapore, and I am in a bit of a panic to get all the last minute things done. My cruise doesn't leave till Sunday so I will check in here again tomorrow night from Houston.

I was hoping to find someone else who might be interested in having dinner one night at The Black Sesame in Beijing. It has been mentioned a few times on this thread. Let me know if your group might be interested. I hear it's awesome!

I look forward to staying in touch with you on this board and then meeting up in Beijing. I am staying at the Westin Financial District and arrive from Singapore on June 3 in the afternoon.

Enjoy this thread. There are some amazing posts from experienced traveller's.

I'm thrilled to make contact with you. Keep well!

Jan

We'll start out at the Westin Financial Street in Beijing. We're flying out of San Francisco on 6/1. What about your group? Aren't you excited? This is ALL we can talk about. LOL!! I'm trying to convince my sister that we'll be ok venturing out on our own that first day in Bejing, that we have to entertain ourselves, but this is her first trip overseas and she's a little nervous. She said if we meet up with a few others in our group she & her husband might consider it. Fingers crossed. I told her if you've used one subway...you've used them all. We'll be fine. :)

The subway is a bit of a hike from your hotel, you may want to try a taxi either to the subway or to wherever you want to go, they are very cheap, most fares run about $4. Viking will have a sheet in your room with tour-on-your-own suggestions, and the concierge will help arrange a half or full day guide and/or driver for you. You can always call Black Sesame Kitchen when you get there to see if they have a cancellation that night - well worth it, email them now, too, if interested: reservations@blacksesamekitchen.com

We found that taking an afternoon nap was a good idea that first day, since once the tour starts the following morning, the first 3-4 days are very full and physically tiring. Plus you'll be tired from the long trip there.

You are going to love every moment.

I started a Roll Call. Let's see what happens. :) Here's a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1830900

Nice job!! Now Brandy and you can chit chat easily.

Next step is to add a link to the roll call to your signature file so that it shows up every time, and everywhere, you post. E-mail me for instructions if you want.

You mean I missed one!? Dang! And here I thought I was being so good about keeping up on the additions. Sorry. :o

I added it to the list above.

I just found your post!!

It's soooo nice to find someone else who is on the same cruise and you are so thoughtful to try to include me in your group.

Believe it or not, I am leaving tomorrow for Houston to start a 41-day cruise that ends in Singapore...I look forward to staying in touch with you on this board and then meeting up in Beijing. I am staying at the Westin Financial District and arrive from Singapore on June 3 in the afternoon.

Enjoy this thread. There are some amazing posts from experienced traveller's.

I'm thrilled to make contact with you. Keep well!

Jan

OMG I just realized the TREK you are doing over the next 2 months. Wow. We have to meet, in China, so I can hear all about it. I'd like to live vicariously thru you! LOL! B2B2B is incredible and you'll be seeing so many things on my bucket list. Bon Voyage!! I hope you have an incredible time. BTW...was your sister able to join you after all? ~Missy~

You mean I missed one!? Dang! And here I thought I was being so good about keeping up on the additions. Sorry. :o

I added it to the list above.

Don't sell yourself short, Peregrina. You're doing an AWESOME job and we appreciate it!

Many people on this thread have suggested taking colored pencils for the kids in the Viking school(s). Are there any other things that the kids might also appreciate - crayons, sidewalk chalk, activity books? I'm definitely looking for suggestions for gifts from their "long-nosed" friend. :)

Thanks!

OMG, less than 6 weeks. I'd better get packing!

Many people on this thread have suggested taking colored pencils for the kids in the Viking school(s). Are there any other things that the kids might also appreciate - crayons, sidewalk chalk, activity books? I'm definitely looking for suggestions for gifts from their "long-nosed" friend. :)

Thanks!

OMG, less than 6 weeks. I'd better get packing!

My husband noticed that the kids in "our" third grade classroom were writing with the inside of the pen--what we used to call the refill. Might be a great idea to bring them some packs of ballpoint pens (I wish I had)--can get them cheap at the big box stores or the usual stationary stores. I brought crayons (only thing I could find Made in America), stickers (both the kind the teacher could use and the kinds kids like--trucks, etc), markers, activity books, etc. They are so poor they can use ANYTHING! As has been stated earlier in this thread most of the stuff we associate with "Made in China" is not available on the shelves there or if it is is very expensive--I didn't do a lot of shopping (I know, I know) so that is just a general observation.

We'll start out at the Westin Financial Street in Beijing. We're flying out of San Francisco on 6/1. What about your group? Aren't you excited? This is ALL we can talk about. LOL!! I'm trying to convince my sister that we'll be ok venturing out on our own that first day in Bejing, that we have to entertain ourselves, but this is her first trip overseas and she's a little nervous. She said if we meet up with a few others in our group she & her husband might consider it. Fingers crossed. I told her if you've used one subway...you've used them all. We'll be fine. :)

We had the first day to ourselves, too, on our November trip last year. We also stayed at the Westin Financial Street. I encourage you to use the subway. It's easy to use (check out youtube for some videos on how to use it) and very reasonable - 2 yuan per ride (about 32 cents). One thing to note if you don't like crowds - it was very crowded, even on a Sunday. The concierge tried to discourage us from using it, but we had no problems. The Fuchengmen Station was about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. On our free day we went to Tienanmen Square (even though we would be seeing it again the next day) and the Lama Temple, which I highly recommend. And we walked miles and soaked in the atmosphere of the city. We had a wonderful trip and would love to be able to return to China some day!

My husband noticed that the kids in "our" third grade classroom were writing with the inside of the pen--what we used to call the refill. Might be a great idea to bring them some packs of ballpoint pens (I wish I had)--can get them cheap at the big box stores or the usual stationary stores. I brought crayons (only thing I could find Made in America), stickers (both the kind the teacher could use and the kinds kids like--trucks, etc), markers, activity books, etc. They are so poor they can use ANYTHING! As has been stated earlier in this thread most of the stuff we associate with "Made in China" is not available on the shelves there or if it is is very expensive--I didn't do a lot of shopping (I know, I know) so that is just a general observation.

Thanks so much for the information! Ballpoint pens, stickers, markers, activity books - sounds like it's time to buy out the school section of some big box stores.

Hi all;

We are starting, no have been for some time, getting excited about our China Explore trip starting next month June 18th in Beijing. Thank you to all on this site, your information has been very helpful in answering many of our questions. I did notice somewhere on the site that a great place to eat in Beijing is Black Sesame Kitchen in the Hutongs area of Beijing. I have looked at their site but do not see any pricing. If anyone has been there can you tell me is it fixed meal, set cost or how do they charge? I understand I have to book in advance, also if we can get it, there are 4 of us, is the kitchen table worth it?

Keith

Hi all;

We are starting, no have been for some time, getting excited about our China Explore trip starting next month June 18th in Beijing. Thank you to all on this site, your information has been very helpful in answering many of our questions. I did notice somewhere on the site that a great place to eat in Beijing is Black Sesame Kitchen in the Hutongs area of Beijing. I have looked at their site but do not see any pricing. If anyone has been there can you tell me is it fixed meal, set cost or how do they charge? I understand I have to book in advance, also if we can get it, there are 4 of us, is the kitchen table worth it?

Keith

I haven't been yet but will be going just as you are headed home. We are on the July 7 China Explorer and I am looking forward to maybe hearing about some of your experiences before we go. Hope you have an opportunity to post. (I have noticed the China Explorer is new for 2013 and is not being offered for 2014.) We will be kicking off our trip in Beijing with Lauri and Harvey Spray who made our reservations at Black Sesame Kitchen. Here is my understanding of the experience. 1) It will be one of the highlights of the trip. 2) They set the menu (if you have preferences let them know when you reserve) and it costs about $50 US per person. 3) The earliest reservations get the table by the kitchen and it is quite an experience. I'm sure you will get more information from others who have been there. Enjoy your trip!

I have a cabin on hold for the Oct. 5 sailing of China Explorer. From everything I can find online, it looks like Golden Week runs from Oct. 1st (a Tuesday) through the 7th (a Monday). If I am reading the itinerary correctly, it's actually Day 2 that the tour starts which would be Sunday, Oct. 6th. Would you be concerned that the first two days of the actual tour, which hit all the big stops in Beijing, fall over the last two days of Golden Week (which are a Sunday and Monday)?

From what I've read and from what one of my DH's co-workers who is from China told him, crowds can be overwhelming. Yet VRC says they "try to work around it" by starting tours an hour earlier.

Thoughts?

I have a cabin on hold for the Oct. 5 sailing of China Explorer. From everything I can find online, it looks like Golden Week runs from Oct. 1st (a Tuesday) through the 7th (a Monday). If I am reading the itinerary correctly, it's actually Day 2 that the tour starts which would be Sunday, Oct. 6th. Would you be concerned that the first two days of the actual tour, which hit all the big stops in Beijing, fall over the last two days of Golden Week (which are a Sunday and Monday)?

From what I've read and from what one of my DH's co-workers who is from China told him, crowds can be overwhelming. Yet VRC says they "try to work around it" by starting tours an hour earlier.

Thoughts?

Not that I traveled in China at this time but here are my thoughts:

The crowds be damned! It will only effect the first couple of days of your tour and Viking has a number of years of practice dealing with them. Better with Viking than on your own; they will get you where you have to go and take care of you while you are there. We were in Ukraine (not quite as crowded) for a National Holiday and it was exciting. There was electricity in the air.

Well, I'm not much into crowds - plus I'd like to be able to see the sites, not a sea of humanity. Granted, these photos were taken the first 3 days (Oct 1-3) but YIKES!!! :eek:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/pictures/national-day-golden-week-holiday-crowds-throughout-china.html

Sounds like you have your answer. Pick another date. There is no reason to travel unless you 100% happy with your choice.

Sounds like you have your answer. Pick another date. There is no reason to travel unless you 100% happy with your choice.

Unfortunately no other date available and they aren't offering it next year. Maybe someone else has some feedback? Anybody???

Thanks for your input, P651. ;)

Edited by zelker

Unfortunately no other date available and they aren't offering it next year. Maybe someone else has some feedback? Anybody???

Thanks for your input, P651. ;)

Zelker, I'm surprised that they aren't offering it next year. It is a new itinerary this year and to remove it from the schedule so quickly sounds strange. Did someone at Viking say they aren't offering it this year or are you going by what is on the website? Could it be that they just haven't announced the dates for next year?

Zelker, I'm surprised that they aren't offering it next year. It is a new itinerary this year and to remove it from the schedule so quickly sounds strange. Did someone at Viking say they aren't offering it this year or are you going by what is on the website? Could it be that they just haven't announced the dates for next year?

I've been watching the site for months, have called a couple times, and when I put this one on hold yesterday, I asked about 2014 again and was told that if it hadn't been posted by now, it was doubtful they would be doing it next year. Guess anything's possible though. :confused:

Hi all;

Keith

Hi Keith, you are in for a great trip!

As for Black Sesame Kitchen, I confess to being the poster who kicked things off for them here on CC by reporting on the absolutely fantastic meal and experience we had there in May 2011, just prior to our tour with Viking. The info I posted when we got back is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29264391&postcount=4680

Based on more recent comments, one thing has changed: the coveted seats in the kitchen are allocated based on how early you reserve, so be sure to reserve asap, as a huge part of the experience is sitting in the kitchen room watching the food being cooked.

A few points about BSK: it's a cooking school, not a restaurant. They have private dining there on certain nights. The meal is a set meal, ten courses when we were there. Simply fantastic. The pricing is on their web site, under private dining, here:

http://www.blacksesamekitchen.com/private_events/

It's 300 RMB per person, which is about $50 and a BARGAIN. (For what you get, CHEAP by American standards.)

The photo below is of Chairman Wang, as they call her, making the most incredible dumplings we've ever had and likely will ever have. Gosh this makes me hungry.

Have a great trip!!!!

BlackSesameKitchen.jpg

(photo by turtles06)