Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

We will be picking up our Visa for China in Aug as it is only valid for 3 months and our trip is from Sept 13 - Oct 6. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me around end Aug as I will have the Visa experience behind me then.

Lori

Let me clarify this. When it says that your visa is only valid for 3 months, it means that you must enter the country within three months of issue. Once you have entered the country, you may stay as only many days as stated in the visa, even if it is more than 3 months from the issue date. Therefore, you can apply for your visa as early as late June and it will still be valid for your entire stay when you arrive on September 13. Once you enter China, the three month clock stops and a new x many day stay clock begins (and you must leave the country after X many days even if it is still within 3 months of the issue date of the visa).

The visa will state how long you may stay in the country; ours said 30 days.

79ti,

Viking pays the hotel but not the meals that day. We did get to select our seats but the airline can change them we were told.

Just over 4 months to go!! Can't wait!

I think you will find that Viking pays for your breakfast in the hotel on your free day. At least that was the case with us at the Beijing Fairmont (China Explorer 3/28 - 4/15). See my post 1939. Have a great trip.

Homerun

Actually from our experience the hotel almost always includes breakfast in the room rate so probably this is not a VRC perk--not there aren't many f them--we traveled independently following VRC and were served breakfast in every hotel over 6 days.

We just returned from the Imperial Jewels cruise aboard the Emerald and it was fantastic. However,I feel that I should update a few of Bluedevils remarks.

First of all; I wasn't aware of anyone who was ill on our ship or during the land excursions. I believe that Viking has sufficiently controlled the visits to on shore restaurants to include those with safe food handling standards. Also, I believe China has come along way in the last few years in cleaning up their restaurants.

Secondly; the restroom situation is really a nonissue these days. All of the venues we visited had clean, western style toilets. So anyone who is fretting about that situation should give it up.

Lastly; the food on the ship has vastly improved. It was wonderful and if you had a request for something not found on the buffet the ever helpful Jan, the food service/dining room manager, would go above and beyond to serve you whatever you wanted. Just one of many great Viking ship employees.

This really was the trip of a lifetime,,we didn't worry about anything.Viking had everything covered. However,leaving all of our new friends in the tour group and our fabulous tour guide,Paul was certainly the hardest part of all! We miss everyone and wow,, what a glorious trip!

Thank you Travelon55 for your current information. Our group of 10 leaves in 4 months. There has been a lot of concern over the restrooms so I will pass along your information. I can hardly wait!!!!!!!

First of all; I wasn't aware of anyone who was ill on our ship or during the land excursions. I believe that Viking has sufficiently controlled the visits to on shore restaurants to include those with safe food handling standards.

On our trip there were people sick but I would say that all of the illnesses were those that were brought along from home and then passed around the group. We met a woman online in Beijing for customs who had had the Norwalk virus and gave it to a friend in her group who ended up in the hospital. In our group someone came with the upper respiratory infection that was making the rounds in Feb/March and it went through our group like wildfire--my husband being the last to get it to our knowledge when we were on our own for 2 days in Shanghai. All of the restaurants that Viking took us to were sparkling clean--at least what we could see. The food on the ship, in my opinion, was great for breakfast and lunch and fully adequate for dinner.
Jan, the food service/dining room manager, would go above and beyond to serve you whatever you wanted.
And we loved Jan too--it was his first cruise and he was working very hard--considering that probably at least 1/2 the restaurant staff was brand new--if not more!
Secondly; the restroom situation is really a nonissue these days. All of the venues we visited had clean, western style toilets. So anyone who is fretting about that situation should give it up.est for something not found on the buffet the ever helpful Just one of many great Viking ship employees.

This really was the trip of a lifetime,,we didn't worry about anything.Viking had everything covered. However,leaving all of our new friends in the tour group and our fabulous tour guide,Paul was certainly the hardest part of all! We miss everyone and wow,, what a glorious trip!

As to the restroom situation you were still in a better situation if you had the urination devices with you (women) as you then didn't have to wait in line and the Chinese-style toilets were (mostly) spotless. Even on a train to Ningbo (south of Shanghai--we had 6 days of business to combine with our wonderful land/cruise with VRC) I had to use the restroom and it was a Chinese toilet and it was so much cleaner than Amtrak which I traveled on two weeks ago! Glad you had a great time too!!! Viking is really incredible in China! I think your Paul is our Jimmy's cousin. Miss being a member of "Jimmy Group."

As to the restroom situation you were still in a better situation if you had the urination devices with you (women) as you then didn't have to wait in line and the Chinese-style toilets were (mostly) spotless.

As an over the hill American woman I continue to be blown away by how much fussing and worrying some of my fellow female travelers have engaged in over the prospect of having to use an Eastern toilet. It's not a big deal, and no urination device is needed. Have TP in one hand, squat just a little (no deep knee bend necessary) and lean a bit back, grab the bottom of your clothes with the other hand, pull up and away, and there you are.

Returned from Hong Kong on May 5. We were on viking imperial jewels from Shanghai to Beijing. We hit Tianamen Square on May Day, it was so exciting. I live in New York, but still not wild about crowds. Don't worry, your tour guide will take good care of you. We were on the Jimmy Li bus and we left early to avoid the crowds, so we had to get up a little earlier, not a big deal, this helped the crowds were still there but not stifling. We were even on CCCTV. This tour was one of the best things I ever did in my whole life. Don't worry you will have a great time. The food on the boat was good (great yogurt at breakfast). Bon Voyage.

I was on the Viking Imperial Jewels of China in 2010 from Bejing to Shanghai and wherever we went there was "Western" toilets.

I was worried about that before I went but there was always some ordinary (for us) toilets.

Well, we have just received both our Visa's and Viking Package for our upcoming June 20th Shanghai to Beijing tour/cruise. Excited. Did however notice that they had changed our hotel in Xi'an from the Westin Xi'an to the Crowne Plaza, has anybody stayed at either of these hotels, and if so any input please.

Also, if there are people out there, somewhere, who are on this venture with us, would love to hear from you.:)

We are taking your trip next June -- 6/7/2014. Will be really interested to hear about your trip! Any hints / suggestestions for future travelers. Particularly how the weather was, and what type of clothing to take. Thank you! Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Milling73

Well, we have just received both our Visa's and Viking Package for our upcoming June 20th Shanghai to Beijing tour/cruise. Excited. Did however notice that they had changed our hotel in Xi'an from the Westin Xi'an to the Crowne Plaza, has anybody stayed at either of these hotels, and if so any input please.

Also, if there are people out there, somewhere, who are on this venture with us, would love to hear from you.:)

Sorry my earlier message jumped. We will be taking this same trip next June. Would like to hear about weather / clothing to take..and any other suggestions. Thanks. Milling73

I have to agree with Turtle about the eastern toilets. After one use, it was a non-issue for me. I am 65 with bad knees. Just be prepared. Have toilet paper in one hand, hold your clothes out of the way with the other and go for it.

Most bathrooms did not have toilet paper or had it on a wall outside of the stalls. It is best to be prepared and have your own. Paper towels were usually not available. Many times, there wasn't any soap. However, hotel and restaurant bathrooms were clean and had all the supplies we Westerners need.

Don't worry and enjoy the new experience. It's not a big deal.

Milling73--We went with Viking on Imperial Jewels trip in early july so pack light cotton wear. Very humid and it can rain torrentially but no big deal. No need to worry about the rain and it comes out of the blue but brief. Viking supplied umbrellas but very large ones. Not compact packable ones. Bring some sort of light waterproof jacket. Not cold weather wear because once those rains stop it is humid. You will be using the laundry service because you can wear outfits once and it will be sweaty.

Yes in some places the public restrooms were the hover over kind but it is part of being in a new place experiencing something different. Most places had the western toilets.

This was the most magnificent trip ever ad I will never forget it and Viking was superb and we met people that we are still in contact with.

Every trip must be met with an open mind and take what comes for it is those that make for the best memories.

Viking did not disappoint and took very good care of us and the food was beyond expectations.:D

RahRah--Yes it was a magnificent trip! The terracotta soldiers brought tears to my eyes because it was such an overwhelming sight. What a truly incredible excavation. Take every moment as it comes because even the people over there see us as a sight and wanted to take pictures with "us" just because we were westerners. Remember dress in cottons for breathable wear. ;)

RahRah--I am so sorry but I keep thinking of things to tell you to share with your shipmates.

Make sure that everyone knows this is not necessarily a leisurely trip. Because there is sooooo much to cover in China those lovely guides work very hard to keep a large group moving and we moved at an incredible pace so as to miss nothing! They are very organized people that travel with you and they know their stuff with no fooling around!

Lets just say I lost a couple of pounds with all the walking we did! You will cover miles within the days that you tour! Do not bother with flip flops but wear good sturdy walking shoes....you will be glad you did.:D

I have TP and hand sanitizer on my packing list and have passed along that info to our group..

So excited to do this trip.

Instead of packing toilet paper with you, you can take some from the hotel each day or from the ship. Saves packing the tp in your luggage. The hand sanitizer, you will need to bring with you.:)

A roll call has been started for the June 10 Jewels. It says June 9 in the title but Day 1 is actually June 10.

If you are sailing on this cruise, please take a moment to check it out and meet a fellow passenger

(I'll post an updated list tomorrow. Right now I supposed to be cooking for a BBQ).