Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

We are leaving for NY tomorrow to start our journey to China. I want to thank everyone on this thread for being so helpful in sharing experiences and information. I will try to check the thread while I am there so if anyone wants me to find something out ask and I will hopefully see your request and try to find an answer.

We are leaving for NY tomorrow to start our journey to China. I want to thank everyone on this thread for being so helpful in sharing experiences and information. I will try to check the thread while I am there so if anyone wants me to find something out ask and I will hopefully see your request and try to find an answer.

Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a wonderful trip! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you return!

Edited by Turtles06

We leave tomorrow from Calgary, have a safe trip & we will see you in Beijing!

Ok, I've read all 92 pages, looked at everyone's wonderful pictures and read the blogs and reviews. Even though we won't be on Viking (which sounds wonderful by the way) we will be in China and I truly loved reading all the posts and dreaming of our trip. The problem is we still have nearly 5 months to wait so what do I do now go back and reread? Thank you everyone for all the amazing information.

Micky, you can always continue to hang out here. There is no rule that days you can't. And, you can find or start a roll call for your cruise. And, you can start a thread like this one for your tour provider. There is plenty to keep you busy until you leave.

Well, I tried to start a Roll Call, but, alas, no response. This cruise is fully booked, Shanghai to Beijing, so I cannot believe that this is full of first time cruisers, although River.

My wife and I have taken so many ocean cruise's over the years it is not true, but, this is our first River Tour/Cruise and so we would dearly like to have some form of contact with other cruisers on this trip.

Anybody out there, or are you all a little more reserved, which is not really what you want to be on any cruise. :)

Well, I tried to start a Roll Call, but, alas, no response. This cruise is fully booked, Shanghai to Beijing, so I cannot believe that this is full of first time cruisers, although River.

My wife and I have taken so many ocean cruise's over the years it is not true, but, this is our first River Tour/Cruise and so we would dearly like to have some form of contact with other cruisers on this trip.

Anybody out there, or are you all a little more reserved, which is not really what you want to be on any cruise. :)

In general, only about 3% of ocean cruisers are represented on a Cruise Critic roll call. That would be about 8 people on a Viking China river cruise. I suspect even less river cruise passengers know about Cruise Critic and thus less partcipate in a roll call.

In general, only about 3% of ocean cruisers are represented on a Cruise Critic roll call. That would be about 8 people on a Viking China river cruise. I suspect even less river cruise passengers know about Cruise Critic and thus less partcipate in a roll call.

JP1320, here are some things that you can do to make your roll call more visible:

1. Add the link to the roll call to your signature so that any one who sees it and is interested can easily find it. Sometimes people don't participate in a roll call becasue they can't get to it easily. They don't know where to look for it or because they don't know how to use the search function. While you are at it, add a link to this thread.
  2. See and be seen. Post in other relevant threads. You never know who is going to see your post and the link to the roll call.

3. Keep your roll call on page one of the list of roll calls. That means you have to watch the top page of river roll calls and post whenever you drop off. If you are worried about what to say, repeat something you've read here.

Edit your signature file in User CP. The link is in the CC header at the top of every page. If you still need help, send me an e-mail; there's a link in my signature file. I am always happy to help (but pls put Cruise Critic or Viking China in the subject line so I don't think it is trash).

Micky, you can always continue to hang out here. There is no rule that days you can't. And, you can find or start a roll call for your cruise. And, you can start a thread like this one for your tour provider. There is plenty to keep you busy until you leave.

I tried both with no takers so will just hang out here while trying to be patient in waiting for our trip.

I just sent my documents to Genvisa today for the July 7th roof of the world trip. I had to submit my license number and a copy of the drivers license. I also needed to get a special invoice from Viking that does not mention Tibet to submit. I should hear back in about 4 weeks.

I am really getting excited about this trip!

I tried both with no takers so will just hang out here while trying to be patient in waiting for our trip.

They both take dedication to get going and to keep going --even this thread, which goes fairly quiet between sailing seasons, needs to be prodded along to keep it on the first page during the off season. Try the tips I suggested to JP; you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Edited by Peregrina651

JP1320, here are some things that you can do to make your roll call more visible:

1. Add the link to the roll call to your signature so that any one who sees it and is interested can easily find it. Sometimes people don't participate in a roll call becasue they can't get to it easily. They don't know where to look for it or because they don't know how to use the search function. While you are at it, add a link to this thread.
  2. See and be seen. Post in other relevant threads. You never know who is going to see your post and the link to the roll call.

3. Keep your roll call on page one of the list of roll calls. That means you have to watch the top page of river roll calls and post whenever you drop off. If you are worried about what to say, repeat something you've read here.

Edit your signature file in User CP. The link is in the CC header at the top of every page. If you still need help, send me an e-mail; there's a link in my signature file. I am always happy to help (but pls put Cruise Critic or Viking China in the subject line so I don't think it is trash).

I followed Peregrina's hints and I was quickly contacted by SteadyAT and we conversed for about a month before we left and then 3 others checked in just before our trip--I met all of them while on our trip--one I was talking to in the gift shop at the bottom of the Great Wall and asking where he found his diet coke and he said, "Are you ____?!" We found out that one of the lurkers had reserved at Black Sesame Kitchen and we caught a cab back to our hotels together--wonderful evening of food and fun! So hang in there--people will appear and you will connect. SteadyAT and I continue to talk to this day. It is all so incredible and you meet so many nice people and VRC does such a good job!

I followed Peregrina's hints and I was quickly contacted by SteadyAT and we conversed for about a month before we left and then 3 others checked in just before our trip--I met all of them while on our trip--one I was talking to in the gift shop at the bottom of the Great Wall and asking where he found his diet coke and he said, "Are you ____?!" We found out that one of the lurkers had reserved at Black Sesame Kitchen and we caught a cab back to our hotels together--wonderful evening of food and fun! So hang in there--people will appear and you will connect. SteadyAT and I continue to talk to this day. It is all so incredible and you meet so many nice people and VRC does such a good job!

Love your success story!!!

Any more???

I just sent my documents to Genvisa today for the July 7th roof of the world trip. I had to submit my license number and a copy of the drivers license. I also needed to get a special invoice from Viking that does not mention Tibet to submit. I should hear back in about 4 weeks.

I am really getting excited about this trip!

Will the July 9 Roof be sharing the ship with the July 7 Explorer? I haven't counted it out the days to figure it out but there is a roll call for the July 7 Explorer. You might not be on the same bus but if you are on the same ship...

Thanks so much for everyone that has shared tips, vocabulary, etc. We have exactly 5 months from today until we fly. I plan to learn a few words before we start our China Explorer trip in Sept. So excited. Have only used Avalon in the past but sounds like Viking will be wonderful to travel with.

Lori

We took our first river cruise two years ago on Uniworld. On our first group meeting in Paris we went up to go through the food line. The person I was standing next to asked where I was from. When I said Iowa she gave me a strange look and asked if I ever went on the message boards. When I said yes she said "mickym?"and I said "minymoe?". It turned out she was the only person I had found going on the same cruise as us that time and she happened to be the first person I met. We were fast friends on the whole trip and continue to keep in touch through FB and email.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, we made it to Beijing. We have not had a chance yet to see anything because we were just so tired from the 14 hour plane ride and the time change. Today we have a free day and plan to go to the zoo. I am so happy to be here.

Will the July 9 Roof be sharing the ship with the July 7 Explorer? I haven't counted it out the days to figure it out but there is a roll call for the July 7 Explorer. You might not be on the same bus but if you are on the same ship...

Not quite sure. We leave the states on July 7th and get into Beijing on the 8th of July. I think I am on LaurenSpray's roll call.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, we made it to Beijing. We have not had a chance yet to see anything because we were just so tired from the 14 hour plane ride and the time change. Today we have a free day and plan to go to the zoo. I am so happy to be here.

You survived the bad part (not looking forward to that flight!!). Now the fun starts. I can't wait to hear all about it. Have a wonderful time and thank you so much for sharing!!