Ocean suite vs. balcony

MYRN1

I know it is larger and a bit pricier. We are trying to decide if we want to add on a 3-4 day WDW trip before sailing. Here are our options, we would love expert thoughts and opinions!!

Option 1)Fly into Tampa, spend a day before and after the cruise in Tampa. It's a 7 day cruise going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. If doing this would get an ocean side suite.

Option 2)Fly into Orlando, go to WDW for 4 nights and 3 days. Drive to Tampa, and cruise on same ship as above. If we do this we would likely have to get a balcony room.

Option 3)Fly into Orlando, go to WDW for 4 days and 3 nights. Take a shorter cruise,maybe 5 day, and hopefully be able to afford a suite (haven't done the math yet)

Are there any opinions on better ports of call suited to families with young children? The 7 year old is usually pretty adventurous and up for everything...but we also have a 2 year old. Thanks.

Id also look at prices for Universal, which to me is just as fun as WDW, but maybe for a 7 year old, it has to be disney?

Next spring, Im doing Jewel OTS which has 4/5 day cruises, which might be cheaper?? but maybe not vs. Carnival. Just a thought. I booked last year when it was very cheap. Jewel OTS goes out of Tampa too.

Im stuck in Tampa after my cruise and going to look at post cruise excursions when they come out.

Also, considering Busch Gardens which is in Tampa and I have not seen in a million zillion years (since they used to give out Busch beer). I hear now its a fun park.

There is a very good thread going now here on the Carnival threads about hotels.. there are some REALLY nice hotels in Tampa for very reasonable.

I stayed at Treasure island, but others are talking clearwater beach for a alternative.

I had tickets for multiple days at Universal, went the 2nd day and the kid I brought (my friends) so totally wimped out on me, we had to leave, waste of time. One day tired her so much. I did let her shop so my fault for not realizing children dont have a adults stamina. waste of money.

Look around and see what deals come up.

I would not base your choice on having a suite. It is not much different than a balcony. We just did something similar, booked the Liberty for 7 nights, then noticed that Imagination PT rooms were going for $179pp for a 4 nighter to preceed the Liberty cruise. I think it's fun to do more than one ship on a vacation, if it works for your schedule.

I also agree with option 2. If it turns out to be too much hassle, then option 1 isn't bad either. I would definitely rule out option 3, as the 5 day cruises tend to go to Nassau and I am NOT a fan. The ports you mentioned are way better than going to Nassau even if they throw in HMC too.

Ditto on option #2. Don't sweat the suite, put the extra $ towards Disney fun, maybe a few character breakfasts (think Chef Mickeys or Crystal Palace), a princess or pirate tea, or La Nouba (best cirque show on the planet imo, I think kids would LOVE it too). Enjoy!

I love all the replies, thank you. We had never thought about universal, something to consider! We also kind of just assumed a suite would be worth the extra money, how interesting! Back to crunching more numbers.

Ditto on option #2. Don't sweat the suite, put the extra $ towards Disney fun, maybe a few character breakfasts (think Chef Mickeys or Crystal Palace), a princess or pirate tea, or La Nouba (best cirque show on the planet imo, I think kids would LOVE it too). Enjoy!

Not a character dinner, but could go to Ohanas...mmmmmm, so yummy!

Not a character dinner, but could go to Ohanas...mmmmmm, so yummy!

I KNOW!! Love it! Hubby not so much so I rarely get to go, but we always hit the Tambu lounge every visit, for Mai Tai's & apps. Ohana does have a nice character b-fast with Lilo & Stich I think:)

I KNOW!! Love it! Hubby not so much so I rarely get to go, but we always hit the Tambu lounge every visit, for Mai Tai's & apps. Ohana does have a nice character b-fast with Lilo & Stich I think:)

We hit the lounge too! I am lucky...my DH and kids all LOVE Ohanas. Will be there this Christmas...can't wait. Another good one is Biergarten, no characters but a show and yummy food, though little ones might not be as pleased. My kids are 12, 12 and 14 so they are past the character meal stage, but like buffets/family style and shows. Sci-Fi diner is a good one for 2 and 7 year olds. And a good one to pay out of pocket for (in lieu of getting dining plan).

As far as Universal goes, we did that when our kids were 7, 5 and 5. They didn't like it so much. We are dying to get back now that they are older and to see the Harry Potter stuff. Sea World is always a hit.

I hope your number crunching is going well! ;) Disney for 3 days and a hotel will be EXPENSIVE... a lot more then upgrading to a suite unless you are staying at a motel 6 and spending a day of that in their pool.

But out of your numbers... I would go with option 2 in a heartbeat, or even fly into and stay in Tampa for a few days. In Orlando I second the Universal idea... and will add that if your child likes Harry Potter, Universal Islands of Adventure would be a better then then Universal Studios. There is also a SeaWorld, Aquatica and Discovery Cove (expensive but AMAZING) in Orlando on top of all the Disney stuff.

If you stay in Tampa, you have Busch Gardens which, with roller coasters etc is much more fun then the Disney parks IMO, but IDK your 7 year old so that may not be a plus for you (my 7 year old nephew loves roller coasters LOL!). There is also Adventure Island water park, Lowry Park Zoo, Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) along with the Florida Aquarium which is near the port... so you wouldn't be bored in Tampa either.

I love suites, the extra room, bigger balcony, jacuzzi tub, but if a suite would make me have to cut down my vacation time I would gladly take a balcony!

Good luck with your decision!!!!!!!

Option 2 without question if the prices are comparable. For a 7 year old child, he probably couldn't care less about the extra vanity, the jet tub, the granite countertop or the dressing area afforded by the suite, but he will remember the 3 days in Disney for the rest of his life (or until he becomes a teenager and had a crush on some pop idol).

You probably won't see much of WDW in 3 days though since you will have to take turns getting on the rides. Even with the extra Magic hour and liberal use of the Fastpass, Rider Switch and Single Rider lane, I had to cut out many of the rides during my visit to Walt Disney World with my family (including an infant) in January of 2011. Add in the fact that the baby may need diaper change, nap time, snack time and other what nots, you probably will not be able to finish all the attractions in the park in a single day. Not sure what type of ticket you plan to get, but I would definitely skip the park hopper option.

Archived