Help with land itinerary for July 2012

capital6

After getting some very strong feedback regarding cruisetours with children, and reading other forum posts, I've decided to drop the land portion of the tour. But, now I am putting together a land tour of my own that begins in Seward (where our Cruise ends) and ends in Anchorage (to fly home). I was thinking of the following but am open to any feedback as it's difficult to judge driving times, etc... Also, is renting a car the best way to do this or should I be looking at the train?

Day 1: Seward: Kenai Fjords Tour and/or Seavy Iditarod Centre

Day 2: Drive to Girdwood: Ascending Path Hike of the rainforest

Day 3 & 4: Drive to Healy as base for 2 days of Denali National Park: Tundra Wilderness Tour & River rafting

Day 5: Dr. to Talkeetna

Day 6: Dr. to Anchorage & fly home

:confused:

I am a retired biology teacher so I am a little biased --I think your children would enjoy the Sea Life Center in Seward --check out their behind-the scenes and specialty tours. I would also go with the Seavy visit rather than the boat trip. Depends on how much your children like boat trips and their interests.

There are lots of places to stop between Girdwood/Anchorage and Healey--have a look at the day drives out of Anchorage at Alaska.org or Bell's Alaska for the details.

I have been putting togather a similar land trip to follow a cruise and have found trip advisor's experts very helpful.

Their key advice is to book car hire asap as it gets more expensive later and for you to consider perhaps taking a bus or train from Seward to Anchorage ( I think it can be done in an evening after a Fjords cruise or other activities) and doing car rental from Anchorage - not airport - rather than pay a large one way fee.

The longer trip Denali shuttle buses are also recommended - much cheaper than tour buses and allow getting off and on again for a short hike.

How old are the children? I've been on several day cruises with kids and they've been fine. Kids want to be the first to spot something so that seems to keep them occupied. And there's lots to look for; otters, seals, whales, puffins, mountain goats. Then they sleep on the return. I found that on the Denali shuttle as well.

BTW, the Winner Creek Trail is a well marked public trail so you can do it on your own for free.

Instead of taking the Tundra Tour, I definitely recommend the shuttle bus. For several reasons: if the kids get bored/cranky, you can hop off the bus and take a hike or walk along the road for a bit; you can select the exact time of your ride to best suit you schedules; kids under 14 are free. It takes about 4-5 hrs to get to Eielson Visitor Center but once you're there, there are exhibits to explore, outside there are a few sets of antlers for the kids to hold, and a well established trail that looks down on the Center and the mountain. There's a bus dispatcher who can assist with the return trip if you want to stay longer than the 40 minute break. On our last shuttle there were several kids; 3 months to teens; they were fine. The younger ones worked on Jr Ranger kits (free). It rained for most of the trip so most people stayed on the bus and took it back to the entrance. ALL the kids slept on the return except when we stopped to see wildlife.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm#CP_JUMP_308918

Info on ranger kits. http://www.nps.gov/dena/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm

You can also get them in Seward if you like, at Exit Glacier. The kids might enjoy the ranger led walk there. http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm

Renting a car is ideal, especially with kids since you have the ability to stop anywhere and everywhere. A rental out of Seward (only Hertz)would be pricey due to the one way drop off fee. Price a one-way rental to Anchorage, then pick up another car for the rest of your trip at the r/t rate. Depending on how many people in your party the one way car fee might be close to the train fares. The flexibility would make it worthwhile.

The drive between Seward and Anchorage. http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

With kids I'd spend an extra day in Seward and eliminate Talkeetna. Much more to see and do.

8 and 10 are great ages for this trip! I was thinking 2 and 4, which is too young to understand and appreciate what they are seeing. At their ages they will learn a lot from the excursions. (Stop at the Beggich Boggs Visitor Center for an iceworm hike at Portage Glacier!)

Info and photos of the shuttle bus were on the first link I posted.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm#CP_JUMP_308918

They leave about every 15 minutes so you can select whichever time works best. At their age they'll easily get to Eielson Visitor Center at mile 66. The Tundra Tour only goes to mile 52 which is the start of the bear viewing area. The park map shows you where the stops are.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

On the shuttle you have to provide your own lunch and beverage. (there's a Subway near the Park entrance) You can get off at any point and walk or hike, then you flag down another bus that has seats available. With 4 people you won't find 4 together. Altho if you take the Eielson hike and want a later bus, the dispatcher can tell you about availability on later buses. Be sure to take binoculars in case the wildlife sightings are far away.

The tour buses provide a lunch altho people often complain about it. The tour buses have a video screen so the driver can zoom in for distant wildlife sightings which is nice.

Both types of buses stop at the same designated rest areas every 90 minutes for a bathroom break, stretch your legs, take photos.

I've only been on the shuttle bus 3 times but we had wonderful drivers each time. They provided lots of commentary about the park, wildlife, geology, etc.

The reservation page also provides more info on the tours and shuttles.

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

since there are 4 in your family you might want to price an RV out of Anchorage. They're kind of pricey especially when you factor in the gas but 4 people eating in restaurants 3 times a day gets pricey too. Then you don't have to worry so much about finding a hotel and worrying about how far you need to drive. You can park an RV anywhere. At Denali we stayed in Riley which is the biggest campground in the park, but even so there was a moose and calf walking around in the early morning.

abcmotorhome.com is having a special this month as is greatalaskaholidays.com

The 21 ft at abc would work for you. We used that size for 3 adults. The 24 ft gives you a private bedroom tho.

Anyway, just another option to consider.

The children will be 8 & 10 when we visit. Could you tell me more about the shuttle bus in Denali? Does it go as far in as the Tundra Tour? The kids both love wildlife & are really hoping to see bears, moose, etc...

http://www.nps.gov/dena

The shuttle bus, is the way to go. The kids are free, and getting to Eielson VERY worthwhile, with a few ranger activites to consider. The TWT goes to mile 53, Eielson shuttle bus, mile 66.

Although costly, I recommend you get a car rental with Hertz, for one way to Anchorage. Keep in mind a 24 hour clock. Once you get to Anchorage, turn it in and pick up a cheaper round trip Anchorage rental. This can be done in an hour and can be a good cost savings.

Your overall plan is fine. It is a 3+ hour drive Seward/Anchorage. Allow 6 hours Anchorage/Denali. Your LAST full service grocery stop is Wasilla, be certain to stock up there.

If interested in glacier trekking, Matanuska is highly recommended. Also a visit to Hatcher Pass and Independence mine is worthwhile. The kids may also want a look at Musk Ox, at the farm in Palmer.

IF you can add more days, do so, it will be well worth the time to pack in other activities.

We are planning our trip for July 2012 as well. Our group is 9 which includes an 8 year old, 11 year old & 13 year old. Here is what we came up with so far in case it helps...

We are getting a round trip rental car at the airport in Anchorage (unfortunately we get in very late on Sat night so can't use the offsite locations for cost savings) for the Denali portion and then returning it to take the train to Seward.

Day 1 - Fly to Anchorage - late night arrival - overnight in Anchorage

Day 2 - Sightsee around Anchorage. Drive towards Matanuska Glacier for overnight near there

Day 3 - 3 hour trek on Matanuska Glacier. Drive to Denali (may stop at Musk Ox farm if time)

Day 4 - 3 hour white water rafting in Denali. Maybe a small hike in Denali?

Day 5 - Eilson shuttle bus

Day 6 - Drive back to Anchorage (via Talkeetna?) Overnight in Anchorage

Day 7 - Railroad to Seward. Seavey's Sled Dog and/or Sealife Center

Day 8 - kayaking or fishing in Seward

Day 9 - Kenai Fjords cruise - at least 6 hour one

Day 10 - Taxi or Tour to Whittier (maybe stop at wildlife conservation center, Crow Creek, Mt Aleyeska, etc. if can arrange that). Board Coral Princess for cruise to Vancouver

We are planning our trip for July 2012 as well. Our group is 9 which includes an 8 year old, 11 year old & 13 year old. Here is what we came up with so far in case it helps...

We are getting a round trip rental car at the airport in Anchorage (unfortunately we get in very late on Sat night so can't use the offsite locations for cost savings) for the Denali portion and then returning it to take the train to Seward.

Day 2 - Sightsee around Anchorage. Drive towards Matanuska Glacier for overnight near there

Day 3 - 3 hour trek on Matanuska Glacier. Drive to Denali (may stop at Musk Ox farm if time)

Day 10 - Taxi or Tour to Whittier (maybe stop at wildlife conservation center, Crow Creek, Mt Aleyeska, etc. if can arrange that). Board Coral Princess for cruise to Vancouver

I would suggest scheduling Kenai Fjords earlier. This is an "iffy" area regarding weather and sea conditions. IF a priority to see, then look at your day of arrival. Then if it's canceled or shortened (I never agree to shortened tours, myself, I would always get refunded and rebook). As mentioned frequently, take a hard look at any motion sickness histories. I see sick people on EVERY trip, and I went on three, just this year. Precautions are the solution, if needed.

I'd suggest reconsidering Matanuska Glacier. Driving from Matanuska Glacier to Denali is probably over 400 miles, which is a real haul on these 2 lane roads. If you want to see and walk on snow, you can still find it at altitude, such as Independence Mine / Hatchers Pass.

As someone else said, the water can get rough at Seward. It's at the end of a south-facing fjord, which acts like a big funnel if the waves are coming out of the south. To get to Kenai Fjords NP, as well as the fishing areas, it can be a 2 hour trip each way. Instead, you can see similar scenery out of Whittier, which is far more protected.

Whitewater rafting near Denali: Make sure that they allow children.

Denali NP: Understand that you will be spending most of your day in a glorified school bus. Most animals will be quite a ways back from the road, so bring binoculars. Bring something for the kids to do (handheld game, etc.) for the times waiting for the bus, as well as the long stretches between interesting stops.

Getting to Whittier for your departure: The cruise lines have special trains which shuttle people out, as well as busses. Plan on doing your Turnagain Arm sightseeing while you have a rental car, and not on the day of embarkation.

Here's an alternate itinerary:

Day 2: Anchorage. Since you are there on a weekend, don't miss the Anchorage Market, where you can buy all kinds of crafts and souvenirs. See Anchorage museum and Alaska Native Cultural Center. You can rent bikes at the west end of downtown. Ride a section of the coastal trail, check out the fishermen along Ship Creek.

Day 3: Drive to Independence Mine (about 90 minutes from ANC) in Hatchers Pass. Explore the mine. Continue on Hatchers Pass towards Willow. You can stop and play in the snow at the summit. Overnight at the Willow Creek Resort, a campground along a great fishing creek, which also has cabins.

Day 4: Drive to Talkeetna (less than 1 hr from Willow), and either fish or take a jet boat tour. Drive to Denali area (4 hours). Stop at viewpoints in Denali State Park.

Day 5: Denali bus tour

Day 6: Return towards Anchorage (7 hour drive)

Day 7: Drive to Whittier (1 hour), take a College Fjord Cruise, then drive to Seward (2.5 hrs).

Day 8: Seward Sea Life Center. Short hike to Exit Glacier.

Day 9: Leisurely drive back to Anchorage. Possible side trip to Cooper Landing and see the combat fishing along the Russian River. Hiking opportunities in Chugach National Forest. Visit wildlife center and Girdwood.

Day 3: Drive to Independence Mine (about 90 minutes from ANC) in Hatchers Pass. Explore the mine. Continue on Hatchers Pass towards Willow. .

Renters must first check their car rental agreements to see if the gravel section of the Hatcher Pass Road is permissable to drive on. If not, they can only go as far as Independence Mine, or make the choice to risk being responsible for things like cracked windshields.

Looking closer, I too agree, that Mataniuska and Denali Park in a single day is poor planning. Frankly, you need more time out on the ice- guided. You then are looking at at least 6 hours to Denali park. And likely not much interest or time for any "sightseeing" during the drive. For Matanuska, it is 2 hours to get there from Anchorage. Not the best plan.

then you flag down another bus that has seats available. With 4 people you won't find 4 together.

I assume you mean that they won't find four seats on the same but together, not that they won't find four seats on the same bus. Occasionally buses are full enough that it is though finding four seats on the same bus, but my experience is that buses are rarely full enough to not find four seats on the same bus. And often people spread out so when several in one group get on the bus, those who spread out prefer to bunch up together with their own group rather than have a stranger sit next to them. So very often two or four in a group can sit together.

Beth, How far to drive is a personal choice; as long as your group is comfortable with a 6-7 hr drive from Matanuska to Denali, go for it. OTOH, if you didn't realize it was a long drive, now's the time to rework your itinerary. OR, instead of eliminating Matanuska maybe spend 2 nites instead and do the rafting there. Then day 4 is a leisurely drive day to Denali so you'll have time for the Musk Ox farm or a visit to Independence Mine. But I think your bigger issue will be the minimum age since ice trekking and rafting usually have a 12 yr minimum. There are jet boat tours in the area so maybe the younger kids could do that while others ice trekk? http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/

Did you consider a reverse itinerary? If you go to Seward first you would have a car to make all those great stops, like gold panning, Alyeska tram, Conservation Center, and even Exit Glacier since you have lots of day light. On Day 9 you return the cars to Anchorage and overnight. Day 10 you train or bus to Whittier.

Just a few thoughts to consider.

Beth, How far to drive is a personal choice; as long as your group is comfortable with a 6-7 hr drive from Matanuska to Denali, go for it. OTOH, if you didn't realize it was a long drive, now's the time to rework your itinerary. OR, instead of eliminating Matanuska maybe spend 2 nites instead and do the rafting there. Then day 4 is a leisurely drive day to Denali so you'll have time for the Musk Ox farm or a visit to Independence Mine. But I think your bigger issue will be the minimum age since ice trekking and rafting usually have a 12 yr minimum. There are jet boat tours in the area so maybe the younger kids could do that while others ice trekk? http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/

The company I go with on the ice trek is min age of 8. But I go on private tours.

My point of the poor plan with scheduling this day is it's too packed with road travel, and certainly would not be enjoyed if split into two days. I agree that the rafting is great in the Matanuska area, and certainly worth a look.

In my opinion day 2 has too little, and day 3 too much. An option would be to do the trek on day 2. Or, day 4 could be "eliminated" with doing the raft trip in another timeframe.

There are better itineraries to consider perhaps. Hopefully they don't have anything booked yet. That is where the problems come in. :)

Thanks for all your input. I had figured that Day 2 as a recovery day (we are flying from Boston and arrive at 12:50 AM in Anchorage. I figured we would sleep in, do a little sightseeing & then just drive to the glacier.

Day 3 - We planned on a 3 hour trek with Mica at 9:30AM (8 year old is fine) . Then, we have all day to get to Denali where we are meeting my parents. From everything I see online, it looks to be a 5 hour drive. Is this not correct? I figured the kids would be tired still from the flights, time change & hiking and would sleep part of the way anyways and we could make stops as needed, but maybe I'll have to reconsider - we all are looking forward to this, though.

Day 4 - White water rafting - Nenana Raft Adventures allows 8 year olds, but only for their guide oar paddled run, so some will do that and others will do more of the rapids. I am planning on doing that at noon so again, no one is rushing in the AM.

I understand about the bus ride into Denali and plan on the kids having their own binoculars as well as books & DS and doing the Jr. Ranger program.

I will move the Kenai Fjords to Day 7 with Day 9 as the weather backup as suggested. I would not go to Whittier before Seward as we are ending in Whittier to board our ship. Unfortunately, we will not have a rental car for this leg of the trip as we really wanted to take the train to Seward so will have to hire someone to take us from Seward to Whittier.

Thanks so much for the input.

Archived