Tortola Review- VIRGIN GORDA BATHS!!!

aloveforwander

Here is an excerpt of my full review on NCL thread. It also includes Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia and Grenada...

ANY QUESTIONS...FEEL FREE TO POST ;)

TORTOLA- We opted for the ship’s tour “Virgin Gorda Highlights”. It left early in the morning 7:30-7:45 on a large ferry boat for a 30 minute sail to Virgin Gorda. Once there, we boarded open cabin trams through town and up to “The Baths” Park area. This place is unreal and must be a wonder of the world. You follow trails, climb, and go through huge boulders- over and under- until you get to a private bay of clear blue / green water, reefs, and superb snorkeling. White sandy Bermuda like beach is the backdrop of some of our greatest pictures for this trip. The water is so tranquil; you would think you were in a pond. OBSERVATION- We somehow thought that snorkeling equipment was included on this excursion. It is not. We found out a little too late that if we wanted to secure equipment, it had to be done in advance and on the ship before departure. Then again, we also heard it was quite costly. I just hated to miss out on the snorkeling- especially after all the ones snorkeling described it to be impressive as they approached shore. We still enjoyed it for the newness of it all, and for the boulders experience we had never imagined. Cost- $147 for 2 adults/ 1 child.

Was is easy to get through the baths? As far as the climbing and going in and out of the boulders could most anyone do it? Elderly in good shape?? How long were you there and was it very crowded? Thanks for the info.

It was fairly easy if in good health. In fact, right in front of us, there was a gentleman with a very bad and limping leg. He had to hang on to everything in order to get from one step to the other. Surpringly, he made it all the way there. It is about a 20 minute trek to the baths. The path is very easy to follow.

If prefer not going through boulders at all, there is another passageway, which is what we took on the way back, straight path- no boulders- just up on down hills. You can ask once you get there, as they did not tell us of this option until once at the beach. We much appreciated however, the adventure of the 1st path.

Crowded? Hummmm. Let's just say plenty of folks, so not a hideaway or quiet beach once there. However, they were all from our ship. I can imagine it being pretty packed if other ships were there at same time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the picture.. How beautiful!! You mention $147 for 2 adults and one child.. Do you know the price for 2 adults?? Do I understand correctly that this price does not include snorkel equip?? just want to make sure I understand the costs involved..

TIA

I see you will be traveling on an RCCL ship. We did tour through NCL, which I am sure will vary in cost from RCCL. Check with your excursion brochure or RCCL website as I couldn't help you there. Sorry :confused: If not mistaken, our son was $30something and the adults the difference split in 2 ($50something per adult)

And NO- it did not include snorkeling equipment- which we would have gladly paid had we been told it was even available. Unfortunately, found out too late (once there) that snorkeling was available and extra (Besides being arranged beforehand on ship) We do have our own snorkel equipment- and I highly recommend you bring yours if have. Have fun!:)

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, due to distance and the usual short time in that port for all ships, I recommend nothing but taking the ship's way there. I guess is the luck of the draw. :confused: Some ships sell their trips less, some more than others! Good luck! :rolleyes:

I will be at the Baths again on 7/29/05. Im hoping we hit no storms. Im getting anxious what with all this bad weather down in the Carribean :eek:

The Baths are amazing. It was like snorkeling in fish tank. The water was amazingly clear. I have snokeled many many times all over the Carribean and this place is Class A snorkeling!

Try not to get too worried about the weather. I remember feeling the same way when we went in May. There were all kinds of talk of tropical storms and hurricanes and our weather was just perfect. I kept going to the weather channel site and all it said was rain, rain, rain. Well, guess what? We had very little rain in San Juan and that was it, didn't even ruin our stay there. All of my worry was for naught!! Just stay positive and good weather will follow you!! Have a great time!!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! That photo brought back memories. I went to the Baths with a tour group. It was wonderful!! The pictures you take all come out so bright and beautiful. We had a wonderful time. Some of the guys went snorkling out a ways and saw a shark. Not me. To the right of the photo is a little cave (I wouldn't even call it that). I explored that and around the rocks. There is lots to see. The water is so clear that you can see all the way down. That is one of my favorites stops, and I would like to go back again.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going on RC's Mariner of the Seas on 09/18/05. I want to see The Baths however through the ship its already full. Do you think if the ship is in port from 7am to 6pm I would have enough time to see The Baths through Speedys or other vendors?

I will be in Tortola in November, and I heard that you can get the same tour offered at the pier for half the cost?? Did you see any of this once you debarked? I am going to buy my own snorkle gear before this trip because every stop is a great snorkle spot and I don't like the rentals that I have had before. What did you do after the baths??

Stephanie

hylasgirl - We paid $67 for 2 adults and 1 child on Speedy's http://www.speedysbvi.com/ferryservice/schedule.html for rountrip ferry and round trip taxi to/from The Baths (April 2005).

there is also Smith's http://www.smithsferry.com/index.html .

Both vendors are not shy about approaching you as you walk up to the ticket building in Tortola (with is only a 10 minute walk from the dock).

It cost $3 per adult to enter The Bath's. Children were free (I think).

I will be at the Baths again on 7/29/05. Im hoping we hit no storms. Im getting anxious what with all this bad weather down in the Carribean :eek:

The Baths are amazing. It was like snorkeling in fish tank. The water was amazingly clear. I have snokeled many many times all over the Carribean and this place is Class A snorkeling!

Starz .... Read your report in the "The Baths of Virgin Gorda -- Map & Info" thread on the Caribbean Other board.

:eek: What a scary experience! :eek:

Hope your next time at The Baths is less exciting .... :rolleyes:

Archived