New Carnival Menu

meagandak

OK, another question - which menus are eliminated on a 5 day cruise?

Went on a five night and the menus are a hodgepodge. It was a combination of the seven nighters missing a lot of my personal favorites. There was no filet mignon, lamb, etc. As one of the posters stated, there was no creme brulee.

Went on a five night and the menus are a hodgepodge. It was a combination of the seven nighters missing a lot of my personal favorites. There was no filet mignon, lamb, etc. As one of the posters stated, there was no creme brulee.

No creme brulee?? Which ship were you on? I'll be on the Spirit.

So I wanted to give you all *my* opinion on the new menu (as served on the Legend 10/9 - 10/16). We did not eat in the MDR on Sunday or Thursday as we dined in the steakhouse.

First of all, if I could do it all over again, I probably would have stopped eating in the MDR after Tuesday and either ate in the steakhouse every night or on the Lido deck. The food was mediocre at best. With that said, here is what we had and my thoughts...

Monday...

Starters:

Baked Stuffed Mushrooms - mushy and possibly over baked. Appearance alone was off putting.

Strawberry bisque - delicious as always...

Didja item - Alligator Fritters - we were told that they did have alligator, however it was either missing from my fritters or very finely chopped. The fritters had the consistency of hush puppies and were mostly filler. Very disappointed.

Main dish:

Duet of broiled Maine lobster and black tiger shrimp - lobster tails were a decent size and prepared nicely.

Prime rib - was about as tough and tasteless as the sole of a shoe. The au jus was more like beef gravy and the verdict at the table was disappointment.

Tuesday:

Starters:

Smoked Chicken Quesadille - there seemed to be no complaints on this item...it obviously wasn't very memorable. ;)

Didja item: Study in Sushi - now...I love sushi and to be honest, the sushi served in the evenings is better than the sushi on the menu. They provide NO chopsticks so you ear either picking it up with your fingers and eating it or trying to use your fork. There are 3 pieces one being a rice ball with a butterflied shrimp on top, something that looked like thinly sliced salmon and another piece that was encrusted in black pepper and was disgusting. very disappointing.

Main Dish:

Penne Mariscos - the dish as a whole was a disaster. the pasta was dry, the seafood was dry or fishy tasting...just...disappointing. Luckily our server was fantastic and brought me something in lieu of what I had ordered.

Braised style short-ribs - Hubby had this dish and was very pleased with it. The short ribs were very tender and there were no complaints. :)

Wednesday:

Starters:

Fried shrimp, Yukon Gold potato soup - both were very good and perfectly prepared.

Didja item: Shark and Langoustino Fire Cracker Roll - When you say roll, one usually thinks along the lines of egg roll or spring roll...NOT balls. I think we both had a bite of these and called it good. There wasn't much flavor and couldn't quite figure out what was going on with them.

Main dish:

Duet of roasted rack and leg of spring lamb - this was NOT what came out on the plate. What we received looked more like pot roast and was very disappointing. Hubby and I both ordered this and both ate a couple of bites and pushed our plates away. Re-reading the description it doesn't even match what we saw on the plate. I think we both ended up getting some mac and cheese. :\

Friday:

Starters:

Beefsteak tomatoes with mozzarella - verdict is not as good as tomatoes with gorgonzola in the steakhouse, but edible.

Wild Mushroom Soup - more please.... :D

Chicken tenders - no complaints.

Didja item: Oysters Rockefeller - very, very good. Probably the only didja menu item that they should keep.

Main dish:

Lasagna Bolognese - This was probably the ONLY dish I enjoyed all week long. A tinge too heavy on the spinach, but overall a very good dish.

Petite filet and short-rib confit - I don't remember there being any real complaints on this dish and hubby seemed happy with it.

Saturday:

Starters:

Crab cake - decent.

Didja item: Frog legs - tasteless.

Main dishes:

Prime rib - seemed to be better than earlier in the week. edible this time around.

Bacon Mac n' Cheese - I was looking forward to this dish all week. When it finally appeared on the menu I was excited....then the excitement was dashed when the dish was placed in front of me. One strip of bacon and a sad looking chicken breast. The chicken tasted watery and was so bland. I would have been better off just getting plain ole mac and cheese.

Overall, I would give the new menu probably a 4 out of 10. It needs a lot of work and flavor added from the beginning. You can only add so much salt and pepper to give your dish flavor.

We just did a B2B, I didn't find the new menu that much different than the old menu. I missed the shrimp cocktail everynight, that was about it. They certainly mix and match 'days' so don't expect a 7 night menu to come out in order as it is published. Not sure what the issue was with the above poster and the lamb, I got it and it was certainly rack of lamb, I actually ordered seconds.

We just did a B2B, I didn't find the new menu that much different than the old menu. I missed the shrimp cocktail everynight, that was about it. They certainly mix and match 'days' so don't expect a 7 night menu to come out in order as it is published. Not sure what the issue was with the above poster and the lamb, I got it and it was certainly rack of lamb, I actually ordered seconds.

I'm not sure what the problem was either. When asked we were told it was braised lamb. It was not lamb period. If they ran out of lamb just tell me that to begin with ya know.

I'm not sure what the problem was either. When asked we were told it was braised lamb. It was not lamb period. If they ran out of lamb just tell me that to begin with ya know.

Ya, that seems weird. They have always been regular rack chops, that they take a temp on and everything, certainly not braised. If they ran out and tried to pass off something else on you, shame on them.

I took my first cruise Oct 2 - 9 on the Victory. I ate dinner in the MDR every night, including the first night when we were not seated at our designated table. Here is what I ate and my take on the menus:

Day one: We ate lunch at the buffet as soon as we boarded the ship. I tried a variety of the cold salads and the hot fish entrees, which were pretty good. The dessert bar was amazing but I went pretty easy, saving my appetite for dinner. In the dining room, I ordered guacamole and tomato salsa with crisp tortilla chips for my appetizer. I asked for extra guacamole because there was not enough. Then for my entree, I decided to try out the chef's special daily creation called "Indian Vegetarian". Basically, the chef will create you dishes using two fresh vegetables, lentils & basmati rice. You don't know what you are going to get. I detected kidney beans, potatoes, and I'm not sure what else, but it was divine. For dessert, I treated myself to the vanilla creme brulee. I am so glad I did because it was never offered again.

Day two: This was our day at sea, so we ate lunch at the sandwich bar. Really big, delicious turkey sandwiches. For dinner in the dining room, it was formal night. Formal means lobster, so I was excited. I started with west Indian roasted pumpkin soup (very tasty), and then had my duet of broiled Maine lobster and jumbo black tiger shrimp. I asked if I could have a second lobster and they said of course! Then for dessert, cherries jubilee. This was basically just vanilla ice cream with some cherries that appeared to be from a can. Nothing special.

Day three: We toured St. Thomas, and ended up at gorgeous Magen's Bay beach which had a snack bar. I was totally disappointed to find pizza and burgers...nothing authentic. I ordered a BLT. However, dinner in the dining room did not disappoint! The appetizer was a study in sushi, and the waiter automatically brought me two plates, because he was getting to know my preferences. I thought the sushi was very good, on scale with sushi I have had in good sushi restaurants in Canada. The main was penne mariscos, which was pasta with shrimp, calamara, scallops and mussels in a tomato cream sauce, topped with grilled salmon. To die for! Dessert was a warm fig, date and cinnamon cake that was far too rich for me to be able to finish, but delicious.

Day four: We spent the day on a catamaran off the coast of Barbados, with Silver Moon. The crew served us a spread of chicken, fried flying fish, salad, bread, coconut cake, and lots and lots of rum punch. I stuck to ice water until they offered pina coladas. :) For dinner, I ordered Tom Ka Gai to start, which was a chicken soup with coconut and lemongrass. It was very good. Then I had assorted seafood, Newburg style, which consisted of black tiger prawns and ocean scallops, tossed with creamy lobster sauce, served with saffron pilaf rice. I enjoyed it. For dessert I stuck to the fresh 'tropical' fruit plate, which did not seem all that tropical to me. I mean, if I can grow it in Canada, how tropical can it be? Melon, strawberries, grapes, and some kiwi. I want mango & papaya!

Day five: In St. Lucia, we took the Cosol tour. Our tour guide arranged a wonderful, local spread of treats for us all to try for what he called 'breakfast'. It was all prepared by a friend of his, and included some type of salted fish balls that were to die for, johnny cakes, breadfruit balls, passion fruit tarts, and so many other things that I can't remember now, but my plate was stacked so high I had to bring it on the bus to finish it. There was also fresh avacado, coconut and papaya, and some wonderfu coconut candy. I was in seventh heaven. On our way back, we stopped for 'lunch' out front of his friend's house. He ran in and brought up back some warm, freshly baked loaves of bread and some locally made cheddar cheese to put in between for an impromptu sandwich. Heavenly! On the ship for dinner, I chose vine ripe beefsteak tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella, marinated with basil leaves and virgin olive oil as my appetizer. It was ok. I followed that with oven roasted tom turkey with sage and onion stuffing, pumpkin scallion hash as I decided I needed a brief respite from seafood. Again, it was just ok. For dessert, some old fashioned apple pie with vanilla ice cream.

Day six: We were touring an old fort in St. Kitts with Thenford Grey's tour, where I came across a snack bar. There was freshly BBQed chicken, but the thing that jumped out at me was the soup selection. The man behind the cash had a vegetable in his hand that he was peeling that resembled a squash. He told me he was making fish soup, but had a batch of conch soup that was ready to go. I was sold! He also sold me a freshly made bottle of mango juice. Unfortunately, I ran out of time to eat these delicacies before boarding the bus again, but I was able to secure a lid for my soup and save it until we hit the beach. It was amazing to eat fresh conch soup while sitting in the surf! Dinner that night started with dueling appetizers for me - escargots bourguignonne and delice of the ocean, comprised of black tiger shrimp, ahi tartare, and hickory smoked Pacific salmon, served with watercress and american cocktail sauce. Right up my alley, and both dishes were prepared excellently! For my main, I selected Martini braised basa fillet with tomato, chili and fennel, served on a sundried tomato, chive and potato gallete. It was awesome. For dessert, I think everyone at the table chose the baked Alaska. It was actually kind of disappointing...neapolitan ice cream with some gooey meringue on the outside. Surely didn't seemed baked at all.

Day seven: We took a taxi into the downtown area in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. After swimming and shopping, our entire group ended up at a McDonalds, if you can believe it. The menu was not the same as in Canada, but I found a "deluxe" fish burger so I tried that. Others chose the "Chicken Mac", a play on the Big Mac. I was relieved to get back on the ship, and order New England crab cakes, along with a delightful iced mango cream soup flavoured with ginger for my starters. I joked with the waiter that it might also be my dessert. For my main I got panko crusted jumbo shrimps, which were just alright, nothing special. True to my word, I couldn't find anything on the dessert menu that I liked more than the mango soup, so I got another bowl. It may have been the best thing I ate all week.

Archived