Switch from Traditional to My Time dining?

They only have so much availability for each section of dining, MTD, early or late. Usually, once you board the ship, you can go to the Dining Room, and request a change, and get it. If it is not available then, you can check back later, as many people do try to switch once they board the ship.

Yes, definitly check once onboard. People change around all the time; that's why the Maitre 'd is available for a few hours on embarkation day. Check your Cruise Compass for times.

If they have space and you are admitted to MTD, you will have to pre-pay your gratuities before you dine there. Just a heads up. :)

See if you can change to MTD before you get onboard if you really want MTD. If you can't switch now the FIRST thing you do when you get onboard is go to the maitre' d and sign up. You will complete the form to prepay your gratuities at that time.

If they say "no more room" in MTD keep trying. We once didn't switch to day 2 and on one 14-day cruise we know a couple who switched on day 4 (after we told them there was an alternative to the 8:30 2nd seating and WJ). I suspect they cut off switching on day 2 so don't wait if MTD is what you really want.

On our one and only RCCL cruise we had pre-choosen MTD. Lucky for us as they were all full prior to departure and did not allow people to change once on board. There was a sign saying MTD was full.

Loved it and have booked again to confirm in advance.

Thanks! I think I'll just go with My Time Dining then from the start :) Nice to have the flexibility!

That is the point. Why would anyone want a set time. I would rather change dining times than fun times.

Thanks! I think I'll just go with My Time Dining then from the start :) Nice to have the flexibility! Thanks again!

You can set up MTD prior to your cruise.

Go to the RCCL web site, next go to My Cruises, then Overview.

This is where you can make all kinds of reservations, buy soda packages and about 90 days before your cruise book excursions.

You can also select MTD. You will have to Pre- pay the gratuities at this time and select a time to eat. But not to worry, once on board you can change the time you eat "everyday". I have used MTD since its inception, we find it wonderful and fits our on board life style. What I do, as I leave the dining room after dinner I make the next day's dinner reservation, depending on what our schedule looks like - and if something comes up and I don't make my reservations, I give the dining room a call and cancel - this way they do not hold our table.

It has really worked well for us - good luck and Bon Appetite.....

g

That is the point. Why would anyone want a set time. I would rather change dining times than fun times.

While we prefer my time dining and the flexibility it offers, I try not to second guess others who choose traditional dining. There could be any number of valid reasons for doing so (their medical situation might require a set dining time, they might prefer a more structured environment where things are scheduled more precisely and they know exactly when and where they have to be for their meals, or they may prefer to dine with others and meet and make new friends whom they can share their daily experiences around the dinner table or myriad other reasons I can't even begin to speculate on) Wondering why anyone would do so is a fruitless enterprise and is akin to asking why anyone would order chocolate ice cream when vanilla is available.;)

One caution. There is a thread where someone said they switch from traditional to MTD after having already paid in full. They said the reservation was almost canceled because MDT requires pre-payment of tips, and they had not paid the tips.

Of course, the Windjammer is always MTD, and several posters have said it is really good at dinner. At least that is an option if for some reason you cannot switch to MDT and cannot or do not wish to eat at your standard time some evening.

Archived