Concerned about upcoming Summit trip leaving Sat.

avp1234

Hi we will be leaving out of San Juan next Sat., the 29th. After reading very mixed reviews, I'm conerned. We have sailed 2 previous Celebrity ships, the Solstice and the Eclipse and they were wonderful. I'm thinking I better warn my husband that there is going to be a big difference..are the rooms really that bad? The food was great on the Solstice ships. The Summit I'm reading is mediocore. Any recent opinions? Also, what is the layout in the buffetf? Is it like the layout of the Solstice? We are really looking forward to this trip and I'm afraid we are going to be disappointed.

I'm going on the Summit in Dec and really haven't seen the bad reviews that you're mentioning. You're gonna have a great time. Sounds like the rooms/ship MIGHT be a little worn but I have a feeling you'll (i'll) get over that in a minute. Have a great trip and tell me about it when you get home.

ENJOY!

We sailed Summit in July to Bermuda and had a great time --- service was excellent, staff was accommodating, the ship was in good shape with only a few blemishes here and there. However, we have also sailed Eclipse, and Summit is just not as fancy or elegant. The buffet is more of a traditional buffet without the "station" setup of Eclipse. We didn't really find Summit a step down, just different, more traditional and actually more friendly. You won't find the variety of specialty restaurants or the station buffet, but I think you'll have a good time as long as you expect that going in.

We're going to be on the Summit out of San Juan the following week, Nov 5th. My advice to you is, if you expect to be disappointed, you probably will be. We've been on the Summit twice before and can tell you that you will see little worn places here and there. I don't like to waste my hard earned vacation week searching out worn places in the carpet or rust spots on the railings. I'd rather be enjoying the fabulous crew, warm weather and ports of call. The food on Summit is very good. Perhaps not quite as great as Solstice and we've always enjoyed the buffet offerings.

You and your husband should step onboard and enjoy every minute of your cruise. Have a wonderful week!

Gail

The buffet is not set up in stations. The S class ships are the only

ones like that right now.

The buffet on M class are lines, one port side, one starboard with

another section in the AFT area. Mornings there are waffles served

there, along with an Eggs Benedict station and lunchtime it is a

sandwich station.

Are the rooms that bad?..I didn't know they were bad. Never had

a problem with my cabin. As for food? The old saying that food

is the most subjective of all....what I like, someone else won't eat...

I have sailed SUMMIT 4 times, most recently in Feb of this year

and she has never disappointed me:). I agree with the previous

poster....I never plan to be disappointed and not a good way (in my

opinion) to start looking at your next cruise.

Is she a brand new ship? No...but I would sail her again tomorrow.

Hope you and your husband have a good time.:)

I agree with the previous poster...I would sail the Summit again. We sailed in June and if you look hard, yes you may see a railing in need of paint, or a carpet that is starting to wear, but the ship is in excellent shape. It will be nice to get some updates to the cabins (the drapery was horrendous!). The Summit was my first Celebrity sailing, and nothing about the ships condition was a disappointment.

Thanks for the replies! I guess I just read the last few reviews and they made me realize this is an older ship, which I knew, but glad to know it's still in good condition. Our first cruise was on an older Carnival ship and once we tried Celebrity we knew that was more for us. Glad to know about the buffet, I loved how the stations were on the Solstice class, but I'm sure that will be fine. We booked a CC room and I'm looking forward to the extra amenities that comes with it. Does anyone know how the spa is? Also, is there an adult only area? We liked the covered pool area on the Solstice, and I read that they have something similar. Thanks for all the help. 5 more days!

Oh, you will love the thalassotherapy pool! One of the very best features of the M class ships! Like the solarium, but the pool itself is just wonderful, only very hard to describe. DH and I made it there every evening before showering and dressing for dinner; it was such a treat and one we really miss on the newer ships.

Also we loved the martini bar; sat by the railing looking dwn onto the dance floor below and enjoyed the music and the couples dancing with our pre-dinner martinis. Another fav place.

Not to worry, you will have a great cruise!!!

Hi I just got off Summit today (10/23) at 9:00 AM.

She is looking a little worn in some spots, but is very clean. The crew is outstanding.

If you are going to compare every inch of her to one of the new ships then yes, you will probably be disappointed. Summit is a very comfortable ship with lots of wonderful places but even I can see that she is looking a bit dated.

That said we had a fantastic 2 weeks on her and wish we were still on her.

Hi I just got off Summit today (10/23) at 9:00 AM.

She is looking a little worn in some spots, but is very clean. The crew is outstanding.

If you are going to compare every inch of her to one of the new ships then yes, you will probably be disappointed. Summit is a very comfortable ship with lots of wonderful places but even I can see that she is looking a bit dated.

That said we had a fantastic 2 weeks on her and wish we were still on her.

Hi stranger:) I have to tell you I am really happy for you. I know

you had to cancel a couple of cruises and glad to see you were able

to take this cruise:D...hope you had a WONDERFUL time.

Hi stranger:) I have to tell you I am really happy for you. I know

you had to cancel a couple of cruises and glad to see you were able

to take this cruise:D...hope you had a WONDERFUL time.

Hi Lois, thanks so much. We did have a great time, even though I was not 100%. We met a lot of great people. The staff and crew were really great.

It's too bad you didn't get to sail Summit back in September.

I agree - Summit is a great ship and one of my favorites. Can't wait to sail her again in November. The S class ships are certainly nice - they are nice and new and have a few more perks here and there. But at the end of the day I personally prefer the M class. I prefer the size - big but smaller than S class. I love the T-pool and much prefer it over the similar pool on the S class. The M class ships just seem more comfortable to me. I don't expect it to be brand spanking new and if I find a spot on the carpet here, or a bit of a fading on the drape there I will just ignore it. Overall Celebrity takes very good care of its ships and it will certainly not be rundown.

Food is very subjective and I can tell you based on my 20 Celebrity cruises that Celebrity food is generally better than most cruise lines and it ranges from good to great. I haven't found that the difference in food is related in any way to newer or bigger ships. The very best Celebrity food I ever had was on the Century before it was upgraded. Some of my least favorite was on one of the S class ships. It really varies based on which chefs happen to be onboard (and perhaps the quality of the food available).

Expect to see a little wear and tear as she is due for an updating early next year, but it will definitely not be enough to really matter and you should really enjoy the cruise. Enjoy!

Hi Lois, thanks so much. We did have a great time, even though I was not 100%. We met a lot of great people. The staff and crew were really great.

It's too bad you didn't get to sail Summit back in September.

Hi:)...well there was no way I could go.....

I sail in 3 weeks on the replacement cruise. Sailing on Eclipse and

looking forward to basically doing nothing for a week...reading,

drinking, relaxing, sleeping, oh yes, eating too. But I have no plans

for anything...I probably won't get off the ship in any of the ports.

Archived