Sapphire vs Magen's Bay

Caribbophile

Have been to Magen's Bay & Trunk Bay St John's on previous cruises. Both are beautiful but have been to each 2 or 3 times & for a change was thinking of trying Sapphire this time as I heard it was also nice. How does Sapphire compare to Magens? Is it nice enough to not feel I've "traded down" too much?

We absolutely loved Sapphire and it was hands down the best port on our cruise last year (if you read my review). I would highly recommend it to anyone (and I have :)) and there have been tons that went and loved it as well. Lets us know if you go and how it went. I love reliving our trip there and hope to make it back again some day. :D

Have been to Sapphire and Coki several times on the island.

If you're not going to snorkel I would bet that Magens is hard to beat although we've never been there. We've only viewed it from Moutain Top.

If you're into snorkeling it's Coki hands down because of the amount of fish. There are rocky dropoffs that flank both sides of Coki and the fish there are unbelievable. Bring some small dog biscuits from home or buy them on the beach and you'll be swarmed with fish.

Sapphire is very nice beach as well. More open than Coki. We've tried snorkeling there but IMO there weren't as many fish.

Hope that helps..

We found the snorkeling at Sapphire much better and more interesting then at Coki or Trunk bay.

Coki is great for kids because the fish are quite tame and the water is so calm and clear.

Trunk Bay is so beautiful but I did not find the snorkeling good at all there.

Sapphire is a nice beach, with a great view and really good snorkeling. There was a good variety of fish not just the typical fish that we usually see.

Magens is a lovely beach and if you walk a ways down the beach there is room to spread out a bit. We heard that the snorkeling was not good so we didn't snorkel here.

Hubby & I don't snorkle, we just want an attractive beach with smooth sand in water where you don't need beach shoes. My gut is Magens is better for this, it's just that I've been there a few times & wanted a change. And Trunk Bay the same, gorgeous, been there a few times (& the last time the ferry was a crowded nightmare with delays in return where we nearly missed the ship & don't feel like that hassle again.). Was considering Sapphire just to have a change but if it's rockier in the water than Magens and more geared toward snorklers not sure it's for me after all. Great feedback on this thread. Much thanks.

Archived