Crown Plaza airport/cruiseport or Hyatt Place South?

delta13

I have the Crowne Plaza airport/cruiseport booked for $79 per night, one night pre-cruise. The other option I was looking at is the Hyatt Place South for $99 a night. I hear there is more around the Hyatt Place (shopping eating) but the Crowne Plaza is closer to the Pier. Would you pay $20 more per night for the Hyatt Place or just stay at the Crowne. We probably won't get to the hotel until around 6pm or so. Thanks!

We just stayed at the Crown. Beautiful hotel but in a bad neighborhood.

They do have a restaurant and bar but are really pushy about trying to get people to use their shuttle to the port.

There is nothing within walking distance so we ordered take out from a near by pizza place.

Since you are getting in after 6, stay at Crowne Plaza and walk over to Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza for dinner. They have great pizza, salad, and roasted wings. The neighborhood is a bit seedy but it's not high crime, and Anthony's is really close (north on US1).

The neighbourhood that HP South is in isn't exactly upper class either, and I'm not sure I would be strolling around down to Oakwood Plaza in the evening from there anymore than I would be wondering around in the dark from the Crowne Plaza. There is fast food along Stirling, closer to the hotel, but the sitdown restaurants at Oakwood are quite a hike from the hotel.

I think the Crowne Plaza charges for the port shuttle (I want to say $8 per person, but I'm not 100% sure on that). Since the port entrance is right across the road, I would just call a cab and not have to crowd into a van going to however many ships before the one you want.

The reason I won't go back to the Crowne, is the shuttle.

Checking in they started pushing the shuttle ($8.pp) The woman told us that they had a deal going with RCL that if we use their shuttle, we could board at 11 am. Huh, I don't think so. I told her she was mistaken. She said it was true. Ok,

I caught up with the manager and asked him why his help was telling people the story about early embarkment using their shuttle and he said it was not true.

Standing in the lobby the next morning, (manager kindly offered to take us to the ship) the shuttle people were arguing between themselves about other shuttles charging less than them. I guess they must make good money on the darn shuttles.

The shuttle did pick us up at the airport (free) but it took so long for him to get to us then he rode around the airport twice, looking for new people . Next time I would just take a cab.

The Crowne is beautiful. Loved the rooms, especially the bathroom. Plenty of room for two in the shower ;)

The manager did say they would take you any place you wanted to buy water, food, etc.

The restaurant and bar were nice. Prices, right on key. Can get a bucket of beer, 5 for $15., which we took back to our room.

The port is less than 5 minutes from the hotel.

Since your arrival is rather late, stay at the Crown Plaza.

I disagree about the Neighborhood of the Hyatt Place South. Of course you always need to be aware of your surroundings. I've walked back to the HP after 9PM from the Bimini Boatyard and 15th Street Fisheries. We stay in well lighted areas walking on the sidewalk along 17th and crossing only at the Embassy Suites.

Since your arrival is rather late, stay at the Crown Plaza.

I disagree about the Neighborhood of the Hyatt Place South. Of course you always need to be aware of your surroundings. I've walked back to the HP after 9PM from the Bimini Boatyard and 15th Street Fisheries. We stay in well lighted areas walking on the sidewalk along 17th and crossing only at the Embassy Suites.

You're talking about the Hyatt Place North. The HP South is at Stirling Rd and I-95, at the end of a court across from Oakwood Plaza in a cluster with 3 other hotels.

As for the shuttle issue at the Crowne, I wouldn't let that be the sole reason why I don't stay at that hotel. As the port is right across from the hotel, I would just take a cab and not wait for the shuttle.

Thanks for this post. We'll be staying at the Crowne, since that's where our friend so kindly booked us with his points. :)

For the people who have stayed here before, what do you recommend for dining nearby? Should we just call for delivery? Call for a cab? (and then back)? I'm the "planner" so I have to have it all figured out, lol.

Thanks for this post. We'll be staying at the Crowne, since that's where our friend so kindly booked us with his points. :)

For the people who have stayed here before, what do you recommend for dining nearby? Should we just call for delivery? Call for a cab? (and then back)? I'm the "planner" so I have to have it all figured out, lol.

We stayed at the Crowne pre-cruise last November and will be staying there again, this time pre- and post-cruise. Love the rooms! As previous poster said - bathroom very nice and I think there is almost room for 4 people in the shower, lol! :eek:

Last time we ordered room service for the two of us - one had hamburger/fries, other chicken sandwich/fries and I think we ordered chicken strips as an appetizer because we hadn't eaten all day...bill was $50+. I thought it was pricey for what we had, but unsure of costs anywhere else.

Royalcruz has suggested Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza several times - we are going to try there this time. There are six of us - not sure if we are going to walk or see if they deliver.

We stayed at the Crowne pre-cruise last November and will be staying there again, this time pre- and post-cruise. Love the rooms! As previous poster said - bathroom very nice and I think there is almost room for 4 people in the shower, lol! :eek:

Last time we ordered room service for the two of us - one had hamburger/fries, other chicken sandwich/fries and I think we ordered chicken strips as an appetizer because we hadn't eaten all day...bill was $50+. I thought it was pricey for what we had, but unsure of costs anywhere else.

Royalcruz has suggested Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza several times - we are going to try there this time. There are six of us - not sure if we are going to walk or see if they deliver.

I don't think Anthony's delivers but it's such a short walk, like a block or two. If you want delivery, Dough Boys is a Fort Lauderdale classic and definitely delivers.

Thank you Obi1 and Royalcruz! There are 4 of us going, but I don't think we'll be sharing a shower, hahahaha!

As it turns out, today our flights were moved earlier due to airline changes (now landing at 3pm). With more time to kill, we just might rent a car and then it won't matter.

Thank you Obi1 and Royalcruz! There are 4 of us going, but I don't think we'll be sharing a shower, hahahaha!

As it turns out, today our flights were moved earlier due to airline changes (now landing at 3pm). With more time to kill, we just might rent a car and then it won't matter.

If you decide to rent a car, head down to Las Olas Blvd downtown for dinner. It's a great little old fashioned upscale downtown with lots of mid-priced restaurants too.

I don't think Anthony's delivers but it's such a short walk, like a block or two. If you want delivery, Dough Boys is a Fort Lauderdale classic and definitely delivers.

even if Anthony's DID deliver, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by doing so...THAT pizza is BEST fresh and hot out of the oven!!!

AND i just noticed ANOTHER one opening here in Jersey!! yay! (look, i'm a pizza snob, so I was thrilled with Anthony's in Ft L-little taste of home...and now when i want to transport myself to WARMTH, i can go to Anthony's up here and pretend i am there!! LOLOL)

BTW that place does get busy....i've been there on weekends and weekdays and by the time i am leaving there is a crowd waiting..

there's a HERTZ in the CP, just make sure of their hours...might save you a few bucks as you're not stuck paying airport 'concession-recovery-or whatever' fees...AND Hertz WILL take you from the CP to the pier for free..

The neighbourhood that HP South is in isn't exactly upper class either, and I'm not sure I would be strolling around down to Oakwood Plaza in the evening from there anymore than I would be wondering around in the dark from the Crowne Plaza. There is fast food along Stirling, closer to the hotel, but the sitdown restaurants at Oakwood are quite a hike from the hotel.

I think the Crowne Plaza charges for the port shuttle (I want to say $8 per person, but I'm not 100% sure on that). Since the port entrance is right across the road, I would just call a cab and not have to crowd into a van going to however many ships before the one you want.

I am trying to find a hotel that has a view of the ships in the morning and since you state it's right across the road was wondering if it does? Usually stay at the Intercontinental but their rates are way more than usual because of the time of year. Have stayed at the Holiday Inn but don't think the view was that great.

Any other suggestions are welcomed also.:)

I am trying to find a hotel that has a view of the ships in the morning and since you state it's right across the road was wondering if it does? Usually stay at the Intercontinental but their rates are way more than usual because of the time of year. Have stayed at the Holiday Inn but don't think the view was that great.

Any other suggestions are welcomed also.:)

are you in FLL or MIA???

the CP and HP South mentioned above are in FLL and you can probably see something from the Crowne Plaza...

you're mentioning the IC and HI and those are in miami.

the crowne plaza in Ft lauderdale is sort of perpendicular to the port...across the street, but not RIGHT across the street if that makes sense....(as in it's close but not THAT close)

are you in FLL or MIA???

the CP and HP South mentioned above are in FLL and you can probably see something from the Crowne Plaza...

you're mentioning the IC and HI and those are in miami.

the crowne plaza in Ft lauderdale is sort of perpendicular to the port...across the street, but not RIGHT across the street if that makes sense....(as in it's close but not THAT close)

We are looking for something in Miami.

The Crowne Plaza is across the road from the port gates, but it's still a bit aways from the water. Rooms on the south side of the hotel, and also the pool area, have a view of the southern half of the port, but you'd have to turn to the left. The Oasis, for instance, if you were looking straight out of a southern facing room, would be at about your 10 o'clock, at about a mile distance. If you don't happen to have a room on the south side, remember the pool deck is 4 or 5 floors above street level, so depending on the open hours for that area, you can go out there if one wanted to see the ships coming or going.

The Crowne Plaza is across the road from the port gates, but it's still a bit aways from the water. Rooms on the south side of the hotel, and also the pool area, have a view of the southern half of the port, but you'd have to turn to the left. The Oasis, for instance, if you were looking straight out of a southern facing room, would be at about your 10 o'clock, at about a mile distance. If you don't happen to have a room on the south side, remember the pool deck is 4 or 5 floors above street level, so depending on the open hours for that area, you can go out there if one wanted to see the ships coming or going.

We were able to see Oasis of the Seas from our window...and yes, it was a little to the left. The pool was directly below us. We used the small binoculars we had brought along for the cruise and were able to see a Princess ship, a Carnival ship, possible a Disney ship and I believe there was one other. We could see people on their balconies :eek: and on the outer deck with the binoculars.

Archived