Advice on a river cruise in South France with a person with mobility issues

j-9

Hi all,

My dad has expressed an interest in taking a river cruise in South of France. I'm excited because I've been trying to talk him into coming with us for years and up until now he has always said he wasn't interested.

He has some mobility issues and uses a walker for balance and I'm looking for some advice on which cruise lines or cruise ships might be best. My main concerns are access between levels on the ship and the shower facilities.

He can handle stairs, and does it regularly at my house, but an elevator will make life easier. I think a tight spiral staircase would not be good.

Also wondering about the shower facilities - any possibility of a shower stool and hand held shower head? Not sure how that is going to work out.

I know many of the walking shore excursions will not be suitable, he will be okay with that.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

thanks

Both AMA and Avalon ships have elevators and this was important when we took my mom with us last year. She is 79 and uses a cane to walk distances.

The bathrooms are modern and one walks right into the shower. There is no tub or stepping up so that is not an issue. Not sure if a stool would fit though.

Avalon had a special van in several of the ports for passengers who needed extra assistance and they were very well taken care of. There were a number with canes and a few with portable walkers. Mom would go with that group and we would meet up with her in port after her tour.

I do not remember if the shower was hand held but that can be answered with a quick call to the cruise line.

We did not have any spiral staircases, just the normal kind. And the size of the boats makes getting around very easy.

I suggest you stick with newer boats that offer amenities like elevators and good sized cabins.

River cruising is the easiest way to travel with older parents. My mom loved it and it was easy on us as well.

Hi all,

My dad has expressed an interest in taking a river cruise in South of France. I'm excited because I've been trying to talk him into coming with us for years and up until now he has always said he wasn't interested.

He has some mobility issues and uses a walker for balance and I'm looking for some advice on which cruise lines or cruise ships might be best. My main concerns are access between levels on the ship and the shower facilities.

He can handle stairs, and does it regularly at my house, but an elevator will make life easier. I think a tight spiral staircase would not be good.

Also wondering about the shower facilities - any possibility of a shower stool and hand held shower head? Not sure how that is going to work out.

I know many of the walking shore excursions will not be suitable, he will be okay with that.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

thanks

j-9- We were on Vantage River Explorer two weeks ago and they had an elevator between inside floors and a chair that persons with mobility issues could ride up to the Sun Deck.

The showers were hand held and had a shower curtain so it would be easy to use some kind of a shower chair in them.

A taxi tour could be arranged in ports. They had a group for gentle walkers on our trip and many people opted for it. I am sure your father could be accomodated on some of the river ships, it would just take some time to find one that would suit his needs. We took my father in law on his first and only cruise when he was 80, he is gone now but we will hold the memories of that trip in our hearts. He had such a great time, and so did we. Go for it!

Nancy

Likewise, see my answer in "France". I can only speak about Avalon so that said, the shower should be no trouble and I second caviargal to look at the newer ships just so you can use the elevator. No winding staircases on board our ships. Please take your dad; he will be fine and you and your husband will enjoy your time with him and the opportunities to go off and do your own thing. Perhaps he will want to rest in the afternoon or take a book into the lounge or its little outside front deck and you two can go explore knowing that he is safe and content. He will be able to experience "outside" while cruising without going to the top floor by the use of 2 small decks fore and aft on 2 different floors. The staff is wonderful and every cruise director we've had is very caring and has a huge amount of experience. Go!

Please take your dad; he will be fine and you and your husband will enjoy your time with him and the opportunities to go off and do your own thing. Perhaps he will want to rest in the afternoon or take a book into the lounge or its little outside front deck and you two can go explore knowing that he is safe and content. He will be able to experience "outside" while cruising without going to the top floor by the use of 2 small decks fore and aft on 2 different floors. The staff is wonderful and every cruise director we've had is very caring and has a huge amount of experience. Go!

This is exactly why our river cruise with my mom was the perfect trip to Europe. We have taken her with us a few times on our independent trips to Europe but we always have to worry about getting her back to the hotel for a rest and then making sure she has something to do besides sit in her room.

On a river cruise, she loved the aft lounge and would sit there with a book enjoying the view and conversing with other guests. We could stay out later in the ports and not feel guilty. It was really perfect.

I agree with previous posters- perfect for my parents in their mid 80's travelling with me on AMA ( APT) . Elevator between floors. There were about 10 people on walking sticks and frames, and mum in a wheelchair, although she can walk short distances. Staff could not have been more helpful for her.

Mum often enjoyed wathcing the world go by while Dad and I went for brisk walks on our own.

Some of the elderly people on sticks found the ground/paved roads and paths quite tricky to navigate even on the "gentle" walk.

I don't think you would fit a shower chair in the small shower space on the AMAdante.

We saw a Vantage ship pulled up near us one day and it had 11 walkers and three wheelchairs parked at the end of the gangplank!! It loooked awesome.

Be sure to check the deck plans. We were on the Tranquility last year and never saw an elevator. We are on the Luminary in April and there is an elevator on the deck plan. Sometimes the gangways are rather steep and narrow, but there should be staff available to help with the transfer.

My mom is 81 and she does really well, should use a cane but leaves it in her car usually. I don't know that she could do the river cruise...my husband and I do a lot of walking. I think if she resigned herself to the fact that she couldn't do the walking tours and was left behind, or if she just did very limited walking with the "big bus" tours she may be OK. The cobblestones and uneven streets are a worry, however. Not much is handicapped accessible in Europe.

You're right...be sure and check the deck plans. It seems that the newer ships have the elevators. I'm glad Avalon picked up on the need for cruisers of all ages to have access to an elevator. In several towns, while dragging a suitcase, I too have become aware of the old curbs and cobblestones and remarked to my husband that it would be difficult to be dependent on wheels to get around. The people who live there are awesome; not everyone has a ground floor home!

Archived