Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?  

669 members have voted

1. 1. Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

• Yes they deserve it and they should get
    • Yes they deserve it,but not in this economy
    • No
    • No, lets do a zombie march at CCL headquarters.

you stated, as if fact, that their pay went up ZERO. do you know this, or are you just posting what you think may be happening?

I was talking tips they receive (which are a major portion of their pay). These have not increased in 10 years. That is a fact. Whether their miniscule base rate changed or not is really irrelevant to me, especially since I did not pay for any increase to such through higher cruise rates. I'm talking out of my pocket, I have not paid for ANY increases in pay to them for the services they provide for me in 10 years. In the meantime, my pay has increased 30% in those same 10 years. That is a fact.

I was talking tips they receive (which are a major portion of their pay). These have not increased in 10 years. That is a fact. Whether their miniscule base rate changed or not is really irrelevant to me, especially since I did not pay for any increase to such through higher cruise rates. I'm talking out of my pocket, I have not paid for ANY increases in pay to them for the services they provide for me in 10 years. In the meantime, my pay has increased 30% in those same 10 years. That is a fact.

well, being you compared their payrate to your payrate, that means you work for tips as well.

In the last 10 years my payrate has risen 30%. Theirs has risen 0%.

Wow. Shouldn't you be occupying Wallstreet or something? Honestly, if you have the wherewithall to cruise on a regular basis, I don't think you can really play the poverty card. How about next time you are planning a cruise-you go ahead and cancel it and mail a $4k check to your local school system administrator, if it's that important to you....:rolleyes:

Great post!

you stated, as if fact, that their pay went up ZERO. do you know this, or are you just posting what shows up on your magic 8 ball?

all i can say is, as fact, i tip on service, and the level of service i have received in the past 4 years has gone way down, down, down....

some say this is because they are serving more people. i do not know if this is the reason. i only rate them what they do for me. less is not more here.

I have to say that service I have received over the past 4 years has not gone down. In fact our room steward on the Destiny was the best we had on any ship. But then I can only rate what they do for me and that was MORE not LESS.

For those cruisers who have avoided the MDR in favor of the buffet, it has mandated more staff to maintain it. Those crew members need to be tipped, too. I have read many times on this board that people dine in the buffet to avoid tipping the waiters. THIS IS FOR YOU. For those of you who have bragged about eating 15 lobsters at dinner, THIS IS FOR YOU. It's still so much cheaper than what you would tip in an average restaurant. For the quality of food and service, it is a bargain. It equals just a bit more than a drink per person. But it will help these crew members tremendously. I will accept the raise and STILL add extra cash at the end because it is still a value and they earn it

I have to say that service I have received over the past 4 years has not gone down. In fact our room steward on the Destiny was the best we had on any ship. But then I can only rate what they do for me and that was MORE not LESS.

i do not tip what servers do for others.

I know they work hard and long hours but in this economy should they really have gotton a 15% raise?

When you vote in this poll, please vote as it relates to your town workers.

I am refering to your school teachers,Police,and Firefighters. I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay.

If you have money to throw around then please vote yes and then mail a check to your local school system.:D

I know the tips are adjustable,but until they allow you to do it from the privacy of your own cabin they make it difficult for the average person to do.

If you think they deserve it,you have the right to tip extra or increase it,not the cruiseline doing it for you.They claim they figure it out based on industry standards,but what industry is doing so great right now? OH I forgot...Wallstreet.

I hope you realize that everyone will vote before they read this first post on the thread...and will not vote based on the criteria you set forth..teachers..fire..police....and will only relate it to the MDR waiter or the steward...or the new normal for tipping...the buffet worker.

My take on this whole economic debacle that we are experiencing......if you can retire and live comfortably..do it..and give the job to someone else...if voting for a no pay raise contract will save jobs...then do it..if sending you kids to pubic universities will get them a great education and keep you and them out of debt....as it does in my state...then do it..and forget about keeping up with the joneses...

and finally...if you afford to cruise and not sacrifice in this economy..then do that as well...and stop feeling guilty about it...you worked hard...saved wisely....and deserve to enjoy it and spend as you see fit......

It's been 28 years since I worked for tips to pay my way through college. I compared payrate % increase not $. There is a difference:rolleyes:.

so, again i will ask you, you state their payrate has gone up zero. has their base pay gone up in 10 years, which would be included in the payrate?? :confused::rolleyes:

Never said you had to...just saying my experience has not been the same as yours. There is nothing stopping you, even with the increases to the tips, from adjusting your tips based on the service you received.

then you will accept that my service has gone down significantly in the past 4 years.

i do not tip what servers do for others.

we never overtip...and always get great service....as far as we are concerned that is...

FWIW...having the steward address me by name does not consititue good service and only creeps us out.....a simple mam or sir is more than appropriate...heck, I call service workers in stores mam and sir...it is a sign of respect and consideration for others...

I never understood the fascination with pax needing to have the steward or waiter fall all over them....I prefer them to do their job and leave me alone.

we never overtip...and always get great service....as far as we are concerned that is...

FWIW...having the steward address me by name does not consititue good service and only creeps us out.....a simple mam or sir is more than appropriate...heck, I call service workers in stores mam and sir...it is a sign of respect and consideration for others...

I never understood the fascination with pax needing to have the steward or waiter fall all over them....I prefer them to do their job and leave me alone.

or bring me a cot! :D

Wow. Shouldn't you be occupying Wallstreet or something? Honestly, if you have the wherewithall to cruise on a regular basis, I don't think you can really play the poverty card. How about next time you are planning a cruise-you go ahead and cancel it and mail a $4k check to your local school system administrator, if it's that important to you....:rolleyes:

LOL....are the one's that are occupying WS the ones that are claiming to be out of work or can't get a job?

then you will accept that my service has gone down significantly in the past 4 years.

Doesn't mean the servers don't deserve an overall raise and 15% after 10 years is not that much and in fact barely keeping up with the rest of the cruise industry. Each person is still is able to adjust their tips for the service THEY received...if they were so inclined to do so. If you feel your service has deteriated so much, then adjust your tips accordingly. That is a decision only YOU can make.

I think the crew most definitely deserves the raise. However, I am not nearly as sure about our local teachers, police force, fire dept, post offices, etc.

personally I don't care about the 1.50 increase...why? Because all they get from me is the auto tip and maybe 20 bucks to the steward and the waiter.....I leave it up to all the other bleeding hearts to comfort themselves by handing out tips to everyone they see on the ship...including the brass polishers and the buffet workers.

To those that overtip...I say go right ahead...it makes it easier for me enjoy my family and cruise.....knowing you will be dropping buckets of cash on the workers...who btw...are better off on the ship than.."back home"...

Just as an afterthought -- when I think about the way I see some people treat the cruise employees, then I think no matter what they are paid, it isn't enough! Sometimes they put up with some "holier than though" "wait on me NOW" "you're my servant" attitudes. No matter what they are paid, you could never pay them enough to substantiate that kind of treatment.

Agreed!

So we agree they deserve it, much like my lumping in the hometown issues.They all deserve it,but in this economy should they be getting a raise while everyone takes a cut or stays where they have been for years?

I think the higlight says it all - Carnival's suggested tips haven't changed in 10 years, so if that isn't staying where they've been for years, I don't know what is. Yes, they deserve the raise, and if an extra $10.50 for a 7-day cruise is a deal breaker for you, then you probably should be taking a different vacation.

Trying to draw comparisons between government-paid service providers (teachers, firefighters) and the crew of a corporate-owned cruise ship is to me just nutty.

Rhetorical question of the day...

Why don't those who CONTINUOUSLY complain about Carnival's service, cut-backs, etc. go cruise on another line & stay away from Carnival (and its CC boards, LOL)?

It seems like such a no-brainer to me. :)

Why don't those who CONTINUOUSLY complain about Carnival's service, cut-backs, etc. go cruise on another line & stay away from Carnival (and its CC boards, LOL)?

because then reading this board would be like watching barney.

guess what? these boards were probably created so that all viewpoints could be discussed.

I think...in this case....you may be confusing complaints with mere suggestions and/or commentary...

I comment about CCL...but I have never complained

I would say basically any complaint I have ever voiced has been pointed toward the particular poster and their amusing expectations of what they expect of a cruise..

for me and mine...we go with the flow...

Archived