Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?  

669 members have voted

1. 1. Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

• Yes they deserve it and they should get
    • Yes they deserve it,but not in this economy
    • No
    • No, lets do a zombie march at CCL headquarters.

I haven't read all of the responses, but looking at the overwhelming results of your poll so far is indicator to me why the cruise ships (of most cruise lines out there) are sailing at capacity. Even in this economy people are spending their money on cruises and feel that the tips are worth it, even at a higher rate. Its still a better deal than many of the other vacation choices out there even with the higher tips.

IMHO I agree with a lot of other posters. Number 1 - the gratuity is recommended and you can change it if you wish and number 2 - really, if you can't afford the tip in this economy how can you afford to cruise?:eek:

Excellent point!

Carnival had one of the lowest tip rates. All the other lines raised their's years ago.
Ditto

I read on another thread that the tips had not been raised in 6 or 7 years (at least)! That's a long time to go between raises, don't you think! Note that ships still sail at full capacity - even in this economy. The crew works very hard, and deserves every penny.
Ditto

I know they work hard and long hours but in this economy should they really have gotton a 15% raise?

When you vote in this poll, please vote as it relates to your town workers.

I am refering to your school teachers,Police,and Firefighters. I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay.

If you have money to throw around then please vote yes and then mail a check to your local school system.:D

I know the tips are adjustable,but until they allow you to do it from the privacy of your own cabin they make it difficult for the average person to do.

If you think they deserve it,you have the right to tip extra or increase it,not the cruiseline doing it for you.They claim they figure it out based on industry standards,but what industry is doing so great right now? OH I forgot...Wallstreet.

I am glad that the previous posters are more in line with my perspective. When I sailed NCL, was surprised that I had to pay $12pp/pd for services versus Carnival's $10. I have seen othe lines fees as high as $15.50pp/pd. I don't have a problem with a reasonable increase.

I spoke with someone who had never cruised and they balked at paying the tipping fees at all. They suggested that the cruise line just include it in the cruise fare. I disagree. The cruise line could easily use that to increase their profits and cruises cost enough as it is. I will pay the service charges. :cool:

I read on another thread that the tips had not been raised in 6 or 7 years (at least)! That's a long time to go between raises, don't you think! Note that ships still sail at full capacity - even in this economy. The crew works very hard, and deserves every penny.

The last time Carnival raised tip rates was 2001. Wonder how many raises the OP and how much percentage the OP has gotten in the last 10 years. Sounds to me like the OP kind of squeeks as they move about the cruise ship expecting the underpaid crew to jump at their beck and call. My raises since 2001 have gone up just over 40% and that isn't just in the last month.

They suggested that the cruise line just include it in the cruise fare.

many people feel as 'they' do.

I don't get it.

If you are paying it, (and you are, no matter what) what freaking difference does it make HOW it's listed on your bill and what difference does it make to your wallet after it's all said and done??

NONE

ostrichman2.jpg.e2db24d4f1f6aa2b9173ee16af101cab.jpg

I am far from wealthy but can afford to cruise at least once a year. When I meet the room steward/stewardess they get an instant $20 bill. They will give at least the same service if I gave them an extra tip or not but I blow 20 bucks several times a week on Texas Lottery tickets that give me a whole lot less enjoyment than these people do. The same goes for my dining room staff. $80 is not going to break me an if it is going to break anyone on this board that cruises then they should rethink their spending priorities. It makes me feel good it gives the staff a couple of extra bucks and helps make a wonderful vacation even better. Get over it. I have never had anything less than fantastic service on a cruise, but then again I don't consider myself above the crew and don't mind getting up once in a while and doing something for myself if it is something that I just think I have to have or do.

In all reality, most people won't tip extra. If you don't like the increase go cruise on RCI. Oh nevermind their gratuity is higher. Go to NCL, oh nevermind theirs is the same.:rolleyes: I agree that they should have given us notice just like they do when they roll out something new like 2.0 changes.

I personally always tip extra cash to my steward and dining waiter & leave auto tips on my S&S and will continue to do this. But note the breakout, your room steward isn't getting a 15% pay increase. Room steward will get an extra 20 cents per day. That ain't a lot a money. Dining staff will get an extra 30 cents per day. Big woop.

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services (up from $3.50)

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services (up from $5.50)

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members. (up from $1) these are ones that go a huge increase.

In my opinion, more should go to stewards and dining room staff & the alternative services should get the few extra pennies. Just saying.

Doesn't mean the servers don't deserve an overall raise and 15% after 10 years is not that much and in fact barely keeping up with the rest of the cruise industry. Each person is still is able to adjust their tips for the service THEY received...if they were so inclined to do so. If you feel your service has deteriated so much, then adjust your tips accordingly. That is a decision only YOU can make.

There are always cheap skates the will reduce tips that are way underpaid anyway, simpley because they had to wait 3 minutes for a single server to fall all over them with whatever service they think they just had to have. It may be a single incident over the entire cruise they because they are so cheap they will take tips away from others that did more than they had to do. Just never have understood how someone spending $500 minimum per person can think that for the service they get $10 a day is high. Cheap people irritate me!!!

The last time Carnival raised tip rates was 2001. Wonder how many raises the OP and how much percentage the OP has gotten in the last 10 years. Sounds to me like the OP kind of squeeks as they move about the cruise ship expecting the underpaid crew to jump at their beck and call. My raises since 2001 have gone up just over 40% and that isn't just in the last month.

OP here.....I have gotten no raises.I have gotten zero percentage increase.

The original question was 'Does the crew deserve an increase in THIS economy?'. Sigh...such a tired phrase (this economy). If you can afford to cruise in 'THIS economy', then the crew (and the cruise line) deserve whatever you are willing to pay. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and MAKING them pay (insert $$ amount here) for a cruise. If you think it's too high...DON'T GO! It's called YOUR CHOICE. Want to know why (American) ball players make GAZILLIONS of dollars to PLAY A GAME? Because we are willing to spend gazillions of dollars to go watch them. Know why cruise lines can raise prices (or salaries)? BECAUSE WE WILL PAY IT (happily).

There are people who won't be happy until everyone has exactly the same as everyone else and we're all living in the same kind of house, driving the same kind of car, and all wearing a grey onesie.

ohhh everyone the same... hmm sounds like communism :)

I agree with what you are saying. If you can afford to cruise you need to get over "this economy " because you are making more that 99.5 % of the world.

cheers

Originally Posted by MRVEGAS711

Working people ALL deserve a raise.

1% of the world controls 90% of the money. Those are thes one people should be going after.

are they cruising on carnival?

Yeah I am thinking the other 99% of the world can't afford any kind of cruise. Yes that is how rich you are. :)

First, Carnival is raising the recommendation of the tip. It is still up to each individual to accept this amount, or go down to the desk and adjust it as they see fit. I for one have done this a few times. Once I removed the tips completely from an employee that gave exteremly poor service. During the cruise I complained numerous times about this employee and things never improved. Even his manager suggested that I remove the tips. On another cruise I lowered the tips of one employee, but increased the tips of the waiter and assistant waiter, the overll net was that I tip above the recommendation.

Frankly, it is a little too much micro managing each individual tips, heck I am on a cruise and the last thing I want to do is wait in line at Guest Service to adjust a few tips up or down. If fact, if you want to increase an employees tip and don't want to go to GS, than stick some money in an envelope and hand it to him or her. It is greatly appreciated.

I know they work hard and long hours but in this economy should they really have gotton a 15% raise?

That 15% increase is our increase in tips paid .......... not the raise the workers are receiving in their pay. First, tips are split among many workers. Second, tips only account for a portion of their pay. The percentage of their raise is likely very small ............. but well deserved!

Rhetorical question of the day...

Why don't those who CONTINUOUSLY complain about Carnival's service, cut-backs, etc. go cruise on another line & stay away from Carnival (and its CC boards, LOL)?

It seems like such a no-brainer to me. :)

Totally agree!! Remember, though, the "ignore" function is your friend, until someone quotes the ignored poster, then you get to see why you chose to use this function in the first place:rolleyes:! Silver

Absolutely they deserved it. They went without a raise since 2001--years during which the economy did great and when many of our public services got raises becuase tax revenues climbed hand in hand with property tax assessments.

In any case, I see zero reason why Carnival should base the pay raises of its lowest paid, hardest working employees--the employees upon which the entire success of their operation lies--on public sector wages which even with the recent cuts, are often two and three times what the average steward makes.

And I say this as a public employee.

It is a sad day indeed when people who are sufficiently well off to take cruise and other vacations would begrudge a raise to those who probably don't even make minimum wage.

many people feel as 'they' do.

I don't get it.

If you are paying it, (and you are, no matter what) what freaking difference does it make HOW it's listed on your bill and what difference does it make to your wallet after it's all said and done??

NONE

another ^5. 2 in one night.

Were we separated at birth?:p

Bill

1% of the world controls 90% of the money. Those are thes one people should be going after.

plz get your facts straight... that 1 % of the world you are talking about... is probaly all the people on this board.

if you make 35k a year YOU are in the 1% of the world.

hyperbole /talking points of Occupy

When you vote in this poll, please vote as it relates to your town workers.

I am refering to your school teachers,Police,and Firefighters. I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay.

If you have money to throw around then please vote yes and then mail a check to your local school system.:D

I know the tips are adjustable,but until they allow you to do it from the privacy of your own cabin they make it difficult for the average person to do.

If you think they deserve it,you have the right to tip extra or increase it,not the cruiseline doing it for you.They claim they figure it out based on industry standards,but what industry is doing so great right now? OH I forgot...Wallstreet.

a couple things..

your poll well its not a poll more like a statement to skew its results.. sort of like MSNBC

police, teachers. firefighters.. all get paid thru politicains negotiating contracts for votes not thru private enterprise where its for profit.

most people can affect the rates you pay for critcal services by your votes and all crusiers can affect the tip you pay by withholding. is it uncomforatble to withhold... yea but if you truly feel this way man up and do it.

go in the line and withhold..

CCL has cut so much to cater to the budget people ( hamburgers, chop meat, DJ, mac n cheese) they are the botom of the barrel for cuts.. not much more they can do to keep the rates soooooo low

As long as I can afford to cruise, I can afford to pay the crew for the hard work they do to make my cruise as enjoyable as it always is. I don't begrudge them a raise - they haven't gotten one in years. What in the past few years hasn't gone up in price?:p

Please. If you are an american, middle class, who is able to take a cruise you ARE the 1%!!!!!! Stop watching the evening news.

As long as I can afford to cruise, I can afford to pay the crew for the hard work they do to make my cruise as enjoyable as it always is. I don't begrudge them a raise - they haven't gotten one in years. What in the past few years hasn't gone up in price?:p

The problem as I see it is who is the raise going to? The people we have been tipping are getting all of $ 0.50 per day (waitstaff and room stewards) and now we get to tip the entertainment staff, guest services and hotel staff. Anyone else think this is very strange?

IMHO give the waitstaff and room stewards a larger amount of this increase and give a raise to the others if they deserve it.

Archived