Photocopy of Passport ???

Tide Pride

In the Caribbean do you carry your passport while doing onshore excursions or does a photocopy work ??

A photocopy is only useful to help expedite getting a new copy of your pasport should it be lost or dtrayed. Nobody's dept. of immigration wants to see it. Keep it in a safe place, carry your passsport with you.

I keep ours in the safe and carry the copy. I rather lose the copy rather than the real one. Must of the time the cruise ship will hold passports for the country to review proir to arrival and release of the ship at a port. This is true of the 30 plus countries in the past 7 years on cruises.

That's what the copy is for. If you miss the ship USA officals will verify fast and give you a replacement.

Hi, Dakrewser. Perfect answer, you beat me to it.

Let's say that you're in Isla de Margarita (or a host of other places) and the ship leaves with out you, a photocopy is not going to make life easier, nor will you get out of the country. In fact the local constabulary may wonder what you're doing in their country. Ever seen a Mexican lockup? Even if you've been hither and yon and never been asked for your passport, that's fine. What's going to happen when you do get asked? When was the last time someone asked for your driver's license, or do people carry a copy of that? Do people carry a copy of their credit cards for purchases? I don't think that would work either. I'm really not trying to be smart, but the passport copy is if you need a replacement from a US embassy or consulate. Also give someone at home a copy, too. Carry the passport and guard it like you would guard anything else you carry, just like at home. Sorry, but this is a question that kinda gets to me and don't get me wrong as I'm not singling out anyone. Wooo - I fell better. ENJOY!

Here is a quote from the US State Dept.

"A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports."

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html - Second paragraph.

I , on the other hand am Canadian, they take our passports as soon as we check on the ship, and we don't get them back till we get off...so anybody have a suggestion for us...except a photo copy.

an example: Nassau, i was asked for I.d. going through the gates, and when I showed them my sign and sail card, they said" how do we know you are that person" you need other i.d...fortunately I brought my driver's licence with me..

I never thought about a photo copy..

any suggestions will be appreciated.

We just got off the Horizon yesterday from our 10 night Carib cruise. The ship's instructions to us were to bring our ship card with us to getting and on and off the ship at the various ports. But they also suggested that we optionally bring a photocopy of our passport or some other government picture ID (e.g. drivers license) presumably as backup.

I , on the other hand am Canadian, they take our passports as soon as we check on the ship, and we don't get them back till we get off...so anybody have a suggestion for us...except a photo copy.

an example: Nassau, i was asked for I.d. going through the gates, and when I showed them my sign and sail card, they said" how do we know you are that person" you need other i.d...fortunately I brought my driver's licence with me..

I never thought about a photo copy..

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Should you get left behind, the ship will give your passport to the port agent, from whom you can reclaim it, along with information about how to get to the next port.

We just got off the Horizon yesterday from our 10 night Carib cruise. The ship's instructions to us were to bring our ship card with us to getting and on and off the ship at the various ports. But they also suggested that we optionally bring a photocopy of our passport or some other government picture ID (e.g. drivers license) presumably as backup.

THat's for getting on and off the ship (they do have records about you). Again, the photocopy won't cut it with the local constabulary. (or the federales:rolleyes: )

THat's for getting on and off the ship (they do have records about you). Again, the photocopy won't cut it with the local constabulary. (or the federales:rolleyes: )

Getting on and off the ship (to do onshore excursions) is what the question was about--or am I missing something?

When we were in St. Petersburg' date=' Russia, last summer, they asked for a copy of our passports, which we fortunately had. They didn't return them, even when asked.

Allen[/quote']

Thanks for the info >We will be in StPetersburg this June.Iwill make many copies,that should resolve any problems.This is one of the major reasons I read this board . Everyones experiences and input is invaluable.

That's what the copy is for. If you miss the ship USA officals will verify fast and give you a replacement.
That is true. All you have to do is:
  1. Go during operating hours. You may have to wait until the next day unless it is the weekend. Then just come back Monday.
  2. Fill out the lost passport form.
  3. Wait for them to do their verification and prepare the passport.
  4. Get your photo taken (I doubt that they do that at the Embassy so go find a photographer and have it done)
  5. Go to the airport and catch a flight to the next port or home.

OR

If you have your passport go directly to step 5.

The passport is a valuable tool. Treat it like the important document that it is.

JMO

Charlie

I just heard that starting in the year 2008, US citizens will need a passport to return to the US from Bermuda, ?Jamaica, Canada and Mexico.

It's even earlier than 2008. The below is directly from the "when will you need a passport" FAQ in the official government announcement yesterday:

December 31, 2005 - Apply the requirement to all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

The "you only need a birth certificate" cruise crowd is getting a loud wake-up call....

Many times when we are off the ship we are in the water snorkeling and our possessions are laying on a beach. That is the last place I would leave a passport. We have watertight snorkle wallets that hold our cash,drivers license, credit card and ships card and a photo copy of our passports. They are not large enough to hold an actual passport. We also scan our passports and e-mail them to ourselves. This way we can access our e-mail from any computer anywhere and retrieve a copy if we need to apply for a replacement. We understand that getting a replacement will not be as easy as if we had the original document, but we are also never at risk of loosing or having our original passports stolen. They stay locked securely in a safe onboard.

I did need to make a correction on my previous posting-- US citizens will need passports to reenter the US by 2008 from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and PANAMA. I had a question mark beside Jamaica but had a feeling that one wasn't correct.

I think mikeymars misunderstood--I am talking about RE-entry of US citizens to their own country, NOT other countries requirements (which I am sure he is correct.)

I've traveled with a passport since the early 70's even domestic flights. I value the document and travel with the original and a copy and leave a copy at home also. I am sure in the future it will be becoming more and more essential.

I encourage everyone to get a passport and also to check the expiration date and get it renewed BEFORE 6 months of the expiration date.

Happy travels!!:D

Getting on and off the ship (to do onshore excursions) is what the question was about--or am I missing something?

No, the question was whether to carry it when off the ship - not what you need to re-board. 98Charlie shows, in detail, why it should be carried.

Another thing that just came on our news the last 2 days, is that all Canadians will need passports to enter United States , we are given plenty of time to do so...I think I heard 2007, but they are saying that birth certificates, drivers licences and health cards will no long be accepted as proof ....only passports,...we just had ours done in October and it is good for 5 yrs...it cost us almost 200.00 for both of us..

This I believe is a good thing, what do you think?

Archived