Bringing food off the ship?

B_Mc

Does anyone know the "law" as it pertains to bringing food off the ship in Cozumel/Costa Maya? I'm googling, but getting unreliable sources and different information.

We'd like to bring milk for children, dried fruit and other dried snacks and perhaps more lunch-like items. I have no intentions of sneaking and fully plan to respect local laws!

TIA!

Does anyone know the "law" as it pertains to bringing food off the ship in Cozumel/Costa Maya? I'm googling, but getting unreliable sources and different information.

We'd like to bring milk for children, dried fruit and other dried snacks and perhaps more lunch-like items. I have no intentions of sneaking and fully plan to respect local laws!

TIA!

The LAW is that nothing is allowed off the ship that is not in the manufacturers packaging and unopened. So this means that granola bars, chips, soda,Juice boxes etc.. in it's original unopened package is fine.

No sandwiches, muffins, breads, fruits, veggies etc. (Dried fruit in a trail mix type package would be fine).

Not sure about milk... somehow in the back of my mind I'm thinking it's a no-no. But I can't find anything about that specifically

Actually.. I just found a list on baja bound.. Dairy Products are restricted as well.

Is this enforced as you leave the ship and come on to shore?

What are you asking? If you are caught bringing prohibited items on shore there will be consequences. Some may not be caught. Just like people who bring illegal drugs. Some may be caught and end up in jail or with fines. Some might not get caught. I advise against bringing any prohibited items into any foreign country. You will be under the legal system of that foreign country.

I have no idea what the actual laws might be, but nobody cared at all when I left the ship with sandwiches and cookies last month.

It suggest checking the actual laws in the future. If you violate any laws they may or may not take into consideration that you did not know the law. Particularly in Mexico.

Is this enforced as you leave the ship and come on to shore?

If you carry it open in view, they will stop you on the ship. If it's in your beachbag or daypack, no one will stop you, unless local authorities are searching all passengers. If you eat your snack/sandwich/3 course dinner or drink your milk/juice/liqour at a place of businessthat sells food as well, say a beach resort, the establsihment may conficate it or ask you not to eat it there. If you eat in in a taxi or public area and don't call attention to yourself, no one will say anything.

Since all of these are "if" statements, they imply a non-zero probability of getting caught. Therefore, following the rules is the best option.

What are you asking? If you are caught bringing prohibited items on shore there will be consequences. Some may not be caught. Just like people who bring illegal drugs. Some may be caught and end up in jail or with fines. Some might not get caught. I advise against bringing any prohibited items into any foreign country. You will be under the legal system of that foreign country.

Well then I'd like to know what the consequences are for the smuggling one (1) ham sandwich. Then, I'll be able to calculate the risk accordingly. Thanks.

I don't think that it's a matter of whether or not you'll get caught and what are the consequences. The Bottom line is it's Against the law.

Have some respect for your host country

It won't kill you to abide by the laws of the country you are visiting.

Laws are put in place for a reason. Usually to protect the environment or other health issues.

Don't be so cheap and buy a snack/drink when you get off the ship.

Hay folks it's getting a bit tacky. She didn't say she was being cheap, and the has the forethought to ask before doing!

Not everyone is a seasoned traveler, we all were rookies at one time.

Travel with younger kids is a task to say the least. Those of us who have raised a family know that little ones don't always handle the changes of routine, food and water as well older humans.

Mexico is one of the countries I traveled to may times both by ship and air. There is no problem taking food that is packaged. Dried snacks and pre-packaged lunch items as well as sealed drinks are just fine.

Hay folks it's getting a bit tacky. She didn't say she was being cheap, and the has the forethought to ask before doing!

Not everyone is a seasoned traveler, we all were rookies at one time.

Travel with younger kids is a task to say the least. Those of us who have raised a family know that little ones don't always handle the changes of routine, food and water as well older humans.

Mexico is one of the countries I traveled to may times both by ship and air. There is no problem taking food that is packaged. Dried snacks and pre-packaged lunch items as well as sealed drinks are just fine.

My last comment wasn't posted for the OP.. it was a general comment for those who still think it's ok to break the law.

I have children and grandchildren. I do my homework and act within the laws of the countries I am visiting.

The customs rules state the dairy is restricted. Fine another option.

Powdered milk? Juice boxes? water? formula? whatever. There's so many options for prepacked lunches, snacks etc.. there is no reason to break the law.

My last comment wasn't posted for the OP.. it was a general comment for those who still think it's ok to break the law.

I have children and grandchildren. I do my homework and act within the laws of the countries I am visiting.

The customs rules state the dairy is restricted. Fine another option.

Powdered milk? Juice boxes? water? formula? whatever. There's so many options for prepacked lunches, snacks etc.. there is no reason to break the law.

I have a quick question, how about infant formula powder? is it OK? My daughter needs it.

Ignore the alarmist. -Warning, Rant Follows-

I read the exportation laws to make sure that the things legally prohibited are fruits and vegetables, plants, meats and possible other organic materials due to wanting to not introduce insects and other pests.

You ARE NOT breaking the law by taking a closed bag of doritos. They don't even look in your bag.

Seriously, people act like you are asking if you can smuggle crack. I live in San Antonio and go to Mexico all the time. It's in the same country as Cozumel. I only have to leave behind fruits, vegetables and meats. My open can of Pringles and half eaten candy bar have never been confiscated. EVER. I have eaten french fries from McDonald's in front of the Border Patrol. They don't pull me out and throw me to the ground screaming that I'v violating international law.

Like-wise, I have brought TONS of pasteries in open bags and Mexican candy from Mexico into the States. They do not throw me in jail. The signs on the ships about taking food off the ship are policies not laws (except fruits, meats and vegetables). Ask about the powdered milk to make sure, but unless it has cocaine in it, I wouldn't be too concerned. Come to think of it. I don't remember any babies who were sucking bottles being arrested as they crossed over international lines. Are they going to confiscate breast milk as well? It IS food. Good luck with that.

And yes, I have taken peanut butter crackers, chips and cookies (among other things) off the ship. I guess I'm not helping with the international peanut butter wars and the potato chip cartels we are all so worried about.

I have no idea what the actual laws might be, but nobody cared at all when I left the ship with sandwiches and cookies last month.

Here are the laws. But I'm sure you were fine. If not they would simply ask you to throw the item away.

National Health Services of Mexico (SENASICA) has guidelines on what is allowed, regulated and prohibited to bring across the border. The following is an overview of some of those items. Detailed information can be found on the SENASICA website.

Allowed Imports

• Smoking tobacco
  • Leather products, except for endangered species like wild lamb, jaguar, black bear, etc.
  • Honey
  • Dogs and cats (a maximum of two per traveler) with health certificates and rabies vaccine records. Visit our "Traveling with Pets in Mexico" guide for more information.
  • Roasted coffee, dried prunes, packaged spices, dried herbs, preserved fruits and vegetables cooked or dried mushrooms and dried truffles.
  • Dry cooked, packed and bottled foods
  • From the USA and Canada: refrigerated, frozen, vacuum packed, pork and processed vacuum packed pate, milk and cheese. All must be in the original package and properly labeled. (it does not state closed package)

Regulated Imports - there are special requirements for these products

• Poultry and poultry products
  • Wild plants and hunt trophies
  • Rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, etc.
  • Hide
  • Seeds, seedlings, fresh plant parts, etc.
  • Plants, fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers, raw cereals, etc.
  • Dairy products
  • Bees and bees' products (except honey)
  • Fresh, dried, canned, smoked or frozen meat and meat products from quarantined countries
  • Flours like corn meal, etc.
  • Veterinary medications and biological products
  • Agricultural chemicals and raw materials

Archived