Wine

smokey4

The "corkage fee" is not a fee for them to cork or uncork your wine. It is a fee for bringing a bottle of wine into their dining room that you did not purchase from them.

Your room steward will procure you a corkscrew for free if you ask. You can then open the bottle in your room, pour a couple of glasses, and bring those to the dining room without paying the corkage.

Instead of paying to have Carnival cork your wine, can you take your own corkscrew on board?

You don't pay the corkage fee if you don't take the bottle to the dining room. The corkage fee is to offset the lack of revenue the cruise line isn't going to be making. It also is payment for service, use of glasses, washing those glasses, breakage etc.

We had no charge for bringing our bottle to MDR. Just dont give it to the Matre d. Our waiter opened it and served us.

I also had the wife put 2 bottles in her carryon in front of me in line and I had one in mine. They said nothing about 3 bottles.:D

You were fortunate! I had one 1.75 liter and they took it away at the Galveston port, last December and returned it on the last night of the cruise. At this port, they now have a table after the security checkpoint to review every single liquid you bring on board and they shake the water bottles to make sure they don't foam up and really contain water.

I had a bottle of distilled water for my C-PAP and had a hell a hard time convincing them... the approval from the chief had to be given!!!

As far as the corkage fee, we do not pay this anymore. As mentioned, we just pour the wine into a nice Carnival mug purchased at formalities or at the coffee bar and no questions are asked. ;)

We had no charge for bringing our bottle to MDR. Just dont give it to the Matre d. Our waiter opened it and served us.

I also had the wife put 2 bottles in her carryon in front of me in line and I had one in mine. They said nothing about 3 bottles.:D

You were lucky. We did bring on more than the one per person rule and were charged for each one in the dining room -- $15 a bottle.

You were fortunate! I had one 1.75 liter and they took it away at the Galveston port, last December and returned it on the last night of the cruise. At this port, they now have a table after the security checkpoint to review every single liquid you bring on board and they shake the water bottles to make sure they don't foam up and really contain water.

I had a bottle of distilled water for my C-PAP and had a hell a hard time convincing them... the approval from the chief had to be given!!!

As far as the corkage fee, we do not pay this anymore. As mentioned, we just pour the wine into a nice Carnival mug purchased at formalities or at the coffee bar and no questions are asked. ;)

We had wine in Galveston in Sept of this year that they did not even flag in our carryons. Our water was flagged and we did need to go to a table for them to look at it but not a problem at all. Plus I did not see anyone having anything confiscated. My take is it just varies by who is doing the security and how busy they are.

We were charged corkage fee in the dining room. I don't mind as long as I get to drink the wines that I like.

We heard others that were told to check Alcohol but not wine. I also was lucky coming back onto ship from port with a 750ml glass bottle of Tequila in my pocket of shorts that you could clearly see. It was end of day and there was a line of people.

Carnival seems really relaxed on the alcohol rules IMO

On the Fantasy, we took 2 bottles of wine on with us and a crockscrew in our checked baggage (the cheap plastic type). We obtained 2 wines glasses through room service and took our own glass of wine to dinner each evening. Just remember to bring the wine glass back to your room with you.

As far as the corkage fee, we do not pay this anymore. As mentioned, we just pour the wine into a nice Carnival mug purchased at formalities or at the coffee bar and no questions are asked. ;)[/quote

Has this happened to anyone else? We found a policy at Carnival.com that states that on embarkation day you can bring one bottle of wine per person plus up to 12 cans or bottles of soft drinks.

On the Fantasy, we took 2 bottles of wine on with us and a crockscrew in our checked baggage (the cheap plastic type). We obtained 2 wines glasses through room service and took our own glass of wine to dinner each evening. Just remember to bring the wine glass back to your room with you.

We asked our room steward for wine glass a few times, he went to a cabinet outside our door and pulled out glass wine glasses for us.

Another guest saw him doing this and he got 2 also.:D

They will bring you a full size beer bucket full of ice to chill your bottle as well.

Archived