Capnpugwash is making his last crossing of 2011 on QM2.

capnpugwash

Today started pretty much as all boarding days start, I woke quite early at bout 6am and not being able to return to sleep I got up. Having showered and packed my shirts and suits I waited for the rest of the house to stir. They deigned to join me about 90 minutes later. We had breakfast together and I sorted out a few domestic and business matters and 10am soon rolled around. My wife and I had a final cup of coffee, after a fond farewell I set off for Southampton at 10.30.

It was quite a dull grey morning until I was 20 miles north of Portsmouth when the sun broke through, what a glorious autumnal morning it had become. This continued until 11.35 when I reached Pier 46, the Ocean Terminal. The Queen Mary 2 was moored there and she had obviously backed onto the berth this morning as her stern was facing the dock gates. She still has Southampton emblazoned across it under her name. Interestingly there is no sign of the designation RMS so the loss of it will be hardly worthy of comment. Of course this won’t deter a few people from making a mountain from this small molehill.

Registration was the normal smooth process and after a slight delay the boarding process commenced at 12.10. I had already bumped into one of Assistant Purser who I have met in the past and 6 passengers with whom I have previously sailed and dined with. This was all before reaching the gangway. Once on board there were a few more very familiar crew faces that it was great to encounter again. I went straight up to my cabin, 6046; this is an inside cabin between stairs A and B. I really like this location and whilst it would be nice to have a balcony or a window it doesn’t matter that much to me. My luggage was already waiting for me which by any measure is fantastic service.

Having unpacked without the benefit of a couple of glasses of the unpacking juice known as Pol Acker I slipped up to King’s Court for a quick cheese roll and some fresh fruit. It was a great success as both the plums and melon were perfectly sweet and ripe, delicious. After this I headed to the pub and had a couple of glasses of lager with Dario the barman before heading to the spa to book a season ticket for the 14 days. The guy serving had some strange ideas of what I should pay but I was successful in getting him to halve his first offer and agree that $10 per day was sufficient. He was happy and so was I, deal done.

I have been assigned to Robert Howie’s table for dinner, he is the Hotel Manager and came on board today. John Duffy has been on but departed this morning. I have never met Mr Howie and am looking forward to doing so. The Captain is Kevin Oprey and the entertainment team is being run by Paul O’Loughlin.

It has been raining quite heavily since I boarded and the open decks are quite wet and slippery, it looks as though the sail away party will be held in the Pavilion Pool because of the weather and to minimise the chances of the band being electrocuted by water penetrating their electrical equipment.

The ship is at Red level for Norovirus as in the past week there have been an increased number of cases on board, the first day of embarkation the level is normally raised to yellow as a precaution, but with the virus being here already no chances can be taken. The buffet food is all being served to passengers, there are no bar snacks or canapés today but these will hopefully re-appear tomorrow or soon thereafter. As you may know, the very best protection is to thoroughly wash hands in warm soapy water as regularly as is possible. That is a practice that I have adopted and do as a matter of routine. The crew are patrolling the public areas and constantly wiping everything that may be touched, hand rails, door handles, banisters, the list is almost endless as is the task.

It is almost 3.30pm and the passenger muster will be held at 4pm, I only have to go up one deck to the Winter Garden where my station is situated, I have just opened the Pol Acker to help the time to pass. I only received a half bottle today for some reason, that is probably my entitlement but I think the size is quite arbitrary and I usually get a full bottle. It doesn’t really matter one way or the other to me in all honesty, I know that some find it unpleasant but after the first mouthful it isn’t too bad, I wouldn’t buy it but it’s here and so am I, so why not!

More later

How wonderful to see you back on board. I shall look forward to the next two weeks or so of posts.

I was wondering if you might do a little sleuthing and see if you could find out anything about Arthur Nedler's whereabouts? He was the maitre d' for the QG on the QV and apparently has gone missing--he was eligible to retire and the speculation, which you might have seen on these boards, is that he did so. I'd be interested in finding out just what happened. Thanks and have a couple of wonderful crossings.

How wonderful to see you back on board. I shall look forward to the next two weeks or so of posts.

I was wondering if you might do a little sleuthing and see if you could find out anything about Arthur Nedler's whereabouts? He was the maitre d' for the QG on the QV and apparently has gone missing--he was eligible to retire and the speculation, which you might have seen on these boards, is that he did so. I'd be interested in finding out just what happened. Thanks and have a couple of wonderful crossings.

It is true, Mr Nelder has let the building, apparently he just up and left without any fond farewells.

Have a wonderful time. Our friends Diana & Mike are on with you, for the B2B. I've suggested they join the CC meet but even if they don't, if you see a blonde Scottish lady doing lots of dancing (latin & ballroom), probably refreshed by Veuve Clicquot, that will be Diana! On a previous TA they were North Atlantic Jive champions for all of 5 days :)

Really wish we were on board as well. :(

Being back on the QM2 must feel like a warm hug.

Very envious-haven't been on board since September 2010 but I love to follow your posts. It's such a nice mental vacation.

Have a great trip and watch out for Sean. I hear he's lurking in the Atlantic, ready to make your crossing a little dramatic!

The ship is at Red level for Norovirus as in the past week there have been an increased number of cases on board, the first day of embarkation the level is normally raised to yellow as a precaution, but with the virus being here already no chances can be taken. The buffet food is all being served to passengers, there are no bar snacks or canapés today but these will hopefully re-appear tomorrow or soon thereafter. As you may know, the very best protection is to thoroughly wash hands in warm soapy water as regularly as is possible. That is a practice that I have adopted and do as a matter of routine. The crew are patrolling the public areas and constantly wiping everything that may be touched, hand rails, door handles, banisters, the list is almost endless as is the task.

We had the same problem on a TA on Celebrity Century in 2007. As you stated, buffet food was served by the crew. They served the bread piece by piece at dinner. If you wanted salt and pepper, they sprinkled it for you. People walked around with white lines on their backsides after they had accidentally leaned against a handrail in the elevator. Crew were busy wiping down everything with bleach constantly. The wood railings and brass fittings were seriously damaged by the bleach. After about 4 days into the actual crossing, the Captain announced that there were no new cases on board and everyone was well by the time we reached Ft. Lauderdale.

Hope all is taken care of by the time we board next Thursday for the return trip. Looking forward to meeting you at the M&G next Friday.

Tania

Update no 1

The muster passed without incident although my station, the Winter Garden was so packed that it was standing room only. After I had returned my lifebelt to the cabin I went to deck 8 for the sailaway, I know that it was to be held in the covered pool area but it was so much nicer on deck with fresh air and no real humidity. A crowd of about 10 people with whom I cruised in the summer are on board and we all met up at the bar and had such a good time in spite of the cold. I gave up after about 45 minutes and headed to the Commodore Club where I was chatting to a very nice couple from upstate New York and a gent from Manchester. In spite of our fairly recent acquaintance we all got on very well and fairly soon we were laughing and joking with each other. After about an hour the others joined us and I have just returned to the cabin to get prepared for dinner, fortunately not much effort is required on my behalf as the dress code is elegant casual which basically means a shirt and jacket, I can cope with that I think. We have all arranged to meet in the Chart Room at 7.30 so as it is now 7.10 I will have to get a move on.

We did get together as arranged and after a G&T or two it was time to head into Dinner which was very pleasant. The table is for 8 people and there seem to be some interesting tablemates, I travelled with two of them earlier this year and of course it was nice to see them both again. After dinner I popped up to the Commodore Club briefly and then went down to G32 to take advantage of the extra hour. There was quite a crowd there and the Caribbean band Vibz was playing. I fail to understand why Cunard associate Caribbean music with a transatlantic crossing. One thing that might interest you is that there is no DJ in the disco; this has to be a first I think and makes no sense at all to me or indeed to any of the other passengers in the bar. I headed off to bed at around 1am as I was feeling quite tired after a fairly inactive day.

Today is Friday November 11 and there has been a degree of pitching during the night, this is a result of the wave patterns that we are encountering, to me it feels quite nice to have this motion but I imagine that not all passengers will be so welcoming. I woke this morning at 6.30 and the weather seems fine with temperatures of 58/14 degrees, a steady barometer and a force 4 south-westerly breeze. The sea state is described as slight but it appears to me to be a little bigger than that as the waves are about 9 feet.

More later

Update no 2

After a Weetabix and melon breakfast which again was all served to me in the buffet I took a walk on deck where it seemed quite cold and very windy, not the moderate breeze that I mentioned. The wind has shifted and increased in strength and now is blowing from the south at force 7, this categorized as a near gale so we might be in for some fun today.

After breakfast I went to the spa as soon as it opened and spent almost 2 hours there in the pool and steam room. Having done all that I sat for a while in the relaxation area which overlooks the starboard side deck. The usual walkers and joggers were out although their numbers were quite reduced due to the wind, I assume. It is quite interesting to see what people wear whilst performing these tasks, some are dressed up with hats, scarves and heavy coats while others stoically wear their shorts and singlets, even if they are walking. One tall man was almost dragging his wife along the deck as the wind was so strong, I timed exit from the spa to perfection and as I came out at 10am the Captain was announcing that we would be observing a ship wide 2 minutes silence as today is Remembrance or Armistice Day. He read the poem Flanders Field and then the ship fell silent, after 2 minutes they sounded 6 bells and on board life resumed. The ceremony was held at 10am to coincide with 11am in the UK which is the traditional time for observing the silence.

We will have the CC get together this afternoon at 2pm, there are 33 passengers registered so it will be interesting to see how many attend. I have just received the Private Transfer leaflet outlining the charges that will be levied for the various forms of transport; a sedan to any NYC airport will be $199, a van is $350 and a limo is $358. To go to midtown from Red Hook in a sedan is a mere $150 whereas a van or limo comes in at $350. Am I missing something here because it seems like daylight robbery? The car service that I use only charges $35 or thereabouts to take me to 5th and 56th street so why do Cunard feel that it is necessary to gouge its customers. The bus transfer is a more reasonable $40 per passenger to any airport or station. For an additional $59 the bus will give you a tour of Manhattan prior to dropping you off at your destination.

We have a couple of Classical musicians on board called Kerenza Peacock and Alison Farr; they are a violin and piano duo from London. Additionally there are three other pianists plus a harpist and a string quartet, all very cultured I am sure you agree.

More later

Thank you for the information on Andrew Nedler. I had forgotten this, but when I mentioned Andrew's abrupt departure to my partner, he recalled that Andrew had indicated that when he retired it was his intent to just up and go, without any fuss or ceremony. It looks as if he carried out his plan.

So nice to hear that the minutes of silence were observed. I was wondering about that on reading your first post and then my question was promptly answered in the second post. As a child in the US in the 1950's I remember quite clearly how we used to do that here, at least my parents and I did. Alas, I fear that marvelous tradition, as so many others, have passed as I don't hear much of it. I myself try to do it, but am not always successful. This year I have hit upon a solution and have set my telephone alarm so I won't miss the time as I am sometimes wont to do.

So wonderful to hear about all the good times you have had thus far and look forward to your further adventures. By the way, I fully agree with your observations about Cunard's gouging for land transport. We have only used a taxi in NYC to get to the ship, but, based on your recommendations, we have used Smiths for Airports whilst in the UK to get to and from Heathrow, London, and Southampton and have found them to be absolutely the best way to go. A belated thanks for that wonderful information.

The guy serving had some strange ideas of what I should pay but I was successful in getting him to halve his first offer and agree that $10 per day was sufficient. He was happy and so was I, deal done.

I didn't know they will negotiate. Is that normal or did you just come across an inexperienced staff member mistakenly charging you more?

It has been raining quite heavily since I boarded and the open decks are quite wet and slippery, it looks as though the sail away party will be held in the Pavilion Pool because of the weather and to minimise the chances of the band being electrocuted by water penetrating their electrical equipment.

If the band was 'Vibz', why would anyone want to minimise the chance of their being electrocuted? :D

Oh.... that's bad of me. I will be going to confession after all. :o

After dinner I popped up to the Commodore Club briefly and then went down to G32 to take advantage of the extra hour. There was quite a crowd there and the Caribbean band Vibz was playing. I fail to understand why Cunard associate Caribbean music with a transatlantic crossing. One thing that might interest you is that there is no DJ in the disco; this has to be a first I think and makes no sense at all to me or indeed to any of the other passengers in the bar.

Exactly!!!!! I don't understand it either. And that's because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Cunard makes a big deal about it's British heritage; It would be more appropriate to have a Beatlesque band.

Strange indeed about the missing DJ. I hope he's coming back; he's not the world's greatest DJ, but he's a million times better than 'Vibz'.

Update no 2

We have a couple of Classical musicians on board called Kerenza Peacock and Alison Farr; they are a violin and piano duo from London. Additionally there are three other pianists plus a harpist and a string quartet, all very cultured I am sure you agree.

More later

Good thing Hanns Johst isn't aboard then. :)

Nice that the Silence was observed and the poem read Cap'n.

Shiny

Hi Jim

Lovely to hear that you are on board - Again!!!

I am greatly looking forward to your usual fabulous reports on all things sea-faring and otherwise, particularly the 'otherwise'; reading your updates serves to punctuate my otherwise predictable days. Trust you will encounter your usual raft of 'colourful' folk (though hopefully not 'raft' in noun form)!

Safe journey

Anamaria

I didn't know they will negotiate. Is that normal or did you just come across an inexperienced staff member mistakenly charging you more?

He wasn't inexperienced and was looking for the going rate I believe, I was fortunate to point out the error of his ways :):eek::)

Hi Captn,

Thank you for sharing your journeys with us; I love reading the threads. Perhaps you can answer a few questions for me. I've read that the doors and walls are magnetic in the cabins, is that accurate? Also what type of outlet is in the cabin bathroom?

Thanks.

Kit

Hi Captn,

Thank you for sharing your journeys with us; I love reading the threads. Perhaps you can answer a few questions for me. I've read that the doors and walls are magnetic in the cabins, is that accurate? Also what type of outlet is in the cabin bathroom?

Thanks.

Kit

The walls are indeed metal and you can attach magnets to them. I put cards and inviations next to the mirror by jamming an edge in the small gap between the wall and the mirror. The socket in the bathroom is a 110/220 shaver socket and in the cabn there are 2 UK 3 pin and 2 US sockets.

Update no 3

I have just come back from the pub where I listened to the quiz, some very tough questions but as I was only a spectator it didn’t matter how many I got right, which was just as well. The pub is on deck 2 and whilst the sea is rushing by and hurling spray and foam at the windows, the pitching motion is almost imperceptible. While I was there I had some lunch which comprised a gammon steak with a fried egg accompanied by some chips, it was really nice as is most of the pub food, I was persuaded to have a pint of Guinness which was also pretty good. Fortunately I had just finished my lunch when the jazz band started so I was able to slip away back to my cabin.

Today is reportedly the last day of the Red level for Norovirus and tonight or perhaps tomorrow it should reduce to yellow or green, I really miss my canapés in the Chart Room and when it reduces, they will return. The CC get-together happened and there were about 18 people there, 3 of which I have sailed with before. There was some interesting chat and no-one brought up the re-flagging issue.

There is a satellite/computer problem which arose this morning; basically there is no connectivity to the satellite uplink. Since we boarded yesterday the computer terminals in the bars have not been working at all. This means that all the orders for drinks must be hand written by the waiters and then the corresponding bills are hand written by the bartenders, as you may imagine it is an absolute nightmare and triples the work involved. The system has been brought back on line at lunchtime but there is the enormous backlog of tickets to be processed from yesterday and this morning.

It is now 3.30pm and the sea continues to be a little boisterous with 8-10 foot waves and a force 7 near gale blowing foam and spray everywhere. The ship is bouncing around quite a lot now and as I walk along the corridor initially I am climbing a hill and this is immediately followed by the sensation of running downhill as the ship rises and falls quite severely, the main movement is pitching and there is a slight rolling but think that this is only caused by the wind blowing on the side of the ship. The temperature is 59/15 degrees and the barometer is steady. We are making 20 knots on our west, south-westerly course. A couple of friends were telling me that they took two cups of tea out onto the promenade deck to get some fresh air but they had to rush back inside as when they tried to drink from the tilted cups, the wind whipped the tea from the cup and blew it all over them. The ship is creaking and groaning far more than I have ever noticed before, probably the stresses and strains of the pitching motion.

Tonight is the first formal evening of the crossing and dinner will be preceded by the Captain’s cocktail party. It is held as two separate parts and the party for the first sitting starts at 5.15! How can anyone want to go to a cocktail party at that time of day? As usual I won’t be attending the party so instead I will be in my accustomed position at the bar in the Chart Room.

More later

Archived