Capnpugwash is making his last crossing of 2011 on QM2.

capnpugwash

On the left which is odd, I took a picture but had problems with my Panasonic camera, you know how unreliable they can be ;);)

Dunno, bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ100 last year, what a brilliant camera.

I was on QM2 and they were selling a Leica camera in the photo store which was a great spec, then I used some of the internet minutes checking the $849 price out and discovered that it was exactly the same as the Panasonic, but with a different badge, and the Panasonic was half the price, at least in the US, around $400.

Apparently Leica went bust and Panasonic bought them, Leica make the lenses and Panasonic the bodies, no matter what the badge is on the front.

A year later and I'm still over the moon with it. HAven't used my big Canon since, its only better in appalling light conditions because of the big lump of glass stuck on the front, every time else the Panasonic is as good for an enthusiastic amateur like me.

Personally I prefer 8s or 10s but second sitting is better that the very early first sitting.

Its very hard to hear the diner opposite on an 8 or 10 IMHO. I like a 6. What I don't like is being stuck on the end of an oval table on QV, appalling lack of space.

Captn,

If you don't mind me asking, how much time would you allow for, using Smiths Airport Service, to travel from Piccadilly area of London to the Southampton port? Right now my plan is to be picked up at 11AM, however I am wondering if that allows for sufficient time.

Kit

Captn,

If you don't mind me asking, how much time would you allow for, using Smiths Airport Service, to travel from Piccadilly area of London to the Southampton port? Right now my plan is to be picked up at 11AM, however I am wondering if that allows for sufficient time.

Kit

Subject to traffic conditions I would say 2 hours should be OK, 11am is fine and you should be on board by 2 to 2.30 maximium.

Update no 12

As I was going for tea today I skipped lunch and then at 3pm I went to the Winter Garden, part of which had been laid out especially for this event. It was done very stylishly and was adorned in the Veuve Clicquot house colours. The sandwiches, cakes and scones were very nice as was the champagne and fresh brewed tea. The whole event was well worth the $24 cover charge. I met up with missfrankiecat and by the time we had finished it was almost 5pm. It seems so much nicer and less crowded that the regular tea in the Queen’s Room. I never go there because of the throngs of people but I would have no hesitation in repeating today’s experience.

There was the CWC cocktail party tonight at 7.30 so the bars were nice and quiet, I went as usual to the Chart Room and met a few other like-minded souls so we shared a couple of pre-dinner drinks and then headed into the last formal dinner of the crossing. The host tonight was Glenn Milway, the F&B manager, the meal was going well and the wine was flowing nicely. His main course chicken arrived and he sent it back as it was cold, quite ironic really as all of our meals were fine. Without being cynical I would have expected that knowing that the food was going out to the big boss, the chefs might have made sure that all the dishes were at least hot. Anyway mine was ok. The parade of chefs took place and he wasn’t applauding too enthusiastically which in itself made me laugh.

I had intended to visit G32 after dinner but I limited myself to a couple of drinks in the Commodore Club and now at 1.45am I am back in my cabin ready for a relatively early night. The ship has been very docile today but now it is rolling and pitching a little, the wind remains quite strong and as it is coming from the starboard quarter it adds to the rolling motion. I don’t anticipate too much difficulty in getting off to sleep tonight.

More later.

Update no 13

Overnight the ship continued its movements although now, at 7.45am it has significantly reduced, the ship’s information channel is not working today so my weather estimates are just that. The sun is up, the sky is partly cloudy and the sea state is moderate, it is about 60/16 degrees and the wind is about force 5. It feels like we are making 17 or so knots. When we arrive in the City tomorrow morning we have been advised that there are demonstrations expected in the Wall Street area, it shouldn’t affect me but it has eliminated any thoughts on my behalf of going over to Manhattan. I didn’t really need anything but was considering going to Crate and Barrel on 60th where they have a great selection of kitchen gadgets. I realise that 60th is a long way from Lower Manhattan but traffic clogs quickly in New York, so Brooklyn it is.

After a buffet breakfast I popped into the spa for my daily steam and swim and have just emerged ready for packing day. I am smiling as I don’t have to pack because I am not going anywhere, well apart from back to Southampton!

The Captain has made his final noon announcement for this westbound trip, we are due to go under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge at 4.30am and dock by 6am at Red Hook. We only have 350 miles to go, the sea is slight and there is a force 3 southerly breeze, a steady barometer and our speed is 20 knots. The forecast is for showers this afternoon and tomorrow morning with the weather clearing tomorrow afternoon.

More later

Update no 13

When we arrive in the City tomorrow morning we have been advised that there are demonstrations expected in the Wall Street area, it shouldn’t affect me but it has eliminated any thoughts on my behalf of going over to Manhattan. I didn’t really need anything but was considering going to Crate and Barrel on 60th where they have a great selection of kitchen gadgets. I realise that 60th is a long way from Lower Manhattan but traffic clogs quickly in New York, so Brooklyn it is.

Jim:

The degree of disruption in lower Manhattan has been grossly exaggerated. Nevertheless, although you may ordinarily prefer ground transport, may I suggest the following: Take a cab to the Jay Street subway station in Brooklyn. Then catch a "179th Street - Jamaica" bound "F" train. Get off at the Broadway-Lafayette Street Station. It's a two minute walk to the Crate and Barrel at 611 Broadway. Should be 18-20 minutes from Jay Street to your destination.

Enjoy your day, and "thanks" for your earlier reply to my question about December officers.

John

Hi Capn

Happened to just remember that you were crossing. I checked the boards and here you are. :) Enjoy NY tomorrow, hopefully the weather is better than it is today. ( It is pretty wet today). I think they did overblow the "Occupy Wall St" conditions. If you are not going to that direct area you should be ok. The cabs know how to avoid travel in the streets of lower

Manhattan anyway. I will go back and check out your prior posts later.

maybe see you next year.

Denise

Reading that the F& B Manager received a cold entree made my day. Wonder how many ordinary passengers also received cold entrees , I am sure his was not the only one.

As for the parade of the chefs, I always leave before that happens, I am not in my second childhood yet. Hope the sometime in the future this will become a thing of the past.

Update no 14

By the way, I forgot to mention earlier that today is Wednesday November 16 and now it is about 5.25pm, the sea is smooth, the temperature is 62/17 degrees and we are level with New York and south-east of Boston. We are 212 nautical miles away and have 13 hours left to complete our journey so we should do that comfortably as our current speed is 20 knots. The wind is a force 5 south-westerly yet we are surrounded by a quite thick mist, not thick enough for the foghorn to be sounded but there is enough to render the horizon invisible.

As it is effectively our last evening the dress code is elegant casual, the corridors are filling up with packed cases ready for a speedy disembarkation tomorrow. We will gain our final hour overnight and then we will be on New York time.

I am just getting ready for dinner or more accurately for the Chart Room cocktail time where the string quartet will be playing for an hour before we head into the restaurant.

I am still undecided about precisely what to do tomorrow, I have been given some good advice for alternative transport, I will wait for the morning and see how the mood takes me.

More later

Reading that the F& B Manager received a cold entree made my day. Wonder how many ordinary passengers also received cold entrees , I am sure his was not the only one.

As for the parade of the chefs, I always leave before that happens, I am not in my second childhood yet. Hope the sometime in the future this will become a thing of the past.

Of 21 dinners on the QM2 in June, one evening mine was not piping hot. I didn't make a big fuss over it. I simply informed my waiter I wanted another one. He whisked the plate away and a fresh hot one appeared in no time. It certainly didn't ruin my trip and I'm not going to harp on it.

I saw 3 Chefs' Parade in June and enjoyed everyone. Everyone around us seemed to as well.

It just goes to show we all have various tastes and expectations.

I was once asked if everything was ok and I replied that I would have preferred my meal a bit warmer that evening -not a problem but as I had been asked thought I would mention it.

I got the offer to change it but I had almost finished and I reiterated that it was fine.

Each night after that, I was always asked if the food was warm enough for me. I could have been embarrassed or annoyed about this but we turned it into a light moment and had a laugh about it.

I don't mind the parade either - it's an opportunity to be impressed and thankful for what goes on behind the scenes to provide us with our food. :)

Update no 14

By the way, I forgot to mention earlier that today is Wednesday November 16 and now it is about 5.25pm, the sea is smooth, the temperature is 62/17 degrees and we are level with New York and south-east of Boston. We are 212 nautical miles away and have 13 hours left to complete our journey so we should do that comfortably as our current speed is 20 knots. The wind is a force 5 south-westerly yet we are surrounded by a quite thick mist, not thick enough for the foghorn to be sounded but there is enough to render the horizon invisible.

As it is effectively our last evening the dress code is elegant casual, the corridors are filling up with packed cases ready for a speedy disembarkation tomorrow. We will gain our final hour overnight and then we will be on New York time.

I am just getting ready for dinner or more accurately for the Chart Room cocktail time where the string quartet will be playing for an hour before we head into the restaurant.

I am still undecided about precisely what to do tomorrow, I have been given some good advice for alternative transport, I will wait for the morning and see how the mood takes me.

More later

Jim:

Whatever you do in NY, do it to the fullest!

Jeanne

Capn,

I've enjoyed the updates on the first half of your cruise greatly. Hopefully, your return trip will be just as lively.

Will you be giving updates on the P&O board for your Caribbean cruise? 23 days in the tropics in December sound heavenly.

Enjoy NYC and I will be looking forward to your next update.

Kathi

On QV two weeks ago, the Info channel was not working most of the trip. For first 3 days we had 13.8 degrees and 90% humidity day/night.

Then for the rest of the trip - Temperature "N/A", Humidity "N/A", Barometric Pressure "N/A", Trend "N/A", Next Port Weather "N/A", etc... however for the last 9 days it was interesting to note that the wind speed never varied from 5.9 Knots at a heading of 262 degrees.

Whilst not a major issue, and one which did not detract from what was another super cruise, it was disappointing that it was not fixed, or that there was no mention or apology from the bridge.

Update no 13

the ship’s information channel is not working today so my weather estimates are just that.

Update no 15

The evening was very pleasant and I bumped into a handful of regulars in the Chart Room so as I headed into dinner we all said our fond farewells and then having eaten a final meal with our table went through the self-same process all over again. The Commodore Club had over 60% of the seats occupied which frankly on a last night is almost unheard of. I had a couple of drinks and was chatting to some people who I had met on board, they left and I was joined by Solboys who are both CC members and are very good company. We spoke for a while before parting company a little after midnight and I headed to bed.

Today is Thursday November 17 and it is now 5.45am and we are backing onto our berth at Pier 12 in Red Hook. I woke around 4am and was on deck at 5am as we sailed beneath the VN Bridge, the temperature was stated as 65/18 degrees with a force 3 breeze. It felt a lot colder and windier than that but I did manage to get a nice vantage point on the foredeck portion of the Promenade Deck by where the spare blades for the pod propellers are kept. I didn’t stay too long because of the biting cold and went for a coffee and a croissant in King’s Court. Once I was able to find a cup the coffee warmed me up. Having sat down I found myself next to a New Yorker who I met earlier in the trip and she was so emotional with tears welling up in her eyes, she was happy to be home but heart-broken to be getting off, she had been on for 24 days having gone to the Canaries after an eastbound crossing. We had to have a comfort cuddle over breakfast which is a first for me but it was very nice and enjoyable.

There were a couple of ladies who obviously thought that because they have a robe supplied in their cabins it is necessary for them to wear it walking around the ship. They both went out on deck with their coffees and returned quite soon as it wasn’t warm enough for them even though their pink spotty pyjamas looked quite toasty. You couldn’t make this stuff up. I just walked back through the buffet as I had been on deck watching us swing around in the pool by Governor’s Island and it was jam packed and because of the bottlenecks at the doorways was quite difficult to get through. I think that this area has to be one of the poorest designed areas on board and whilst I know they would like to make great changes to the layout, they are too restricted by the existing stairs, power and related infrastructure that is already present and basically immovable.

The sun doesn’t rise for another 40 minutes and we are alongside our berth, it is a shame because sailing in as the sun glints on the glass buildings in Lower Manhattan is very special, but that is what happens when you take the QM2 at this time of year. With not too much to occupy my mind just now I have worked out that since leaving Southampton last week we have sailed a total of 3260 nautical miles, it has taken us 162 hours including the extra 5 through time changes so we have maintained an average speed of 20.12 knots. A bit of useless information for you.

As it transpired it wouldn’t have mattered had we come in after sunrise as all morning the sun has been totally obscured by pretty thick clouds, it still feels cold at 41/5 degrees and this is significantly colder than anything that we encountered at any time during the crossing. I just came back to the cabin having gone for a breakfast of a bacon sandwich and a cup of coffee, the stewards have pretty much completed their cabin cleaning assignments and it is only 8am.

There is a full emergency crew drill on board this morning which will be supervised by the US Coastguard; it is one of two special annual drills that they oversee that need to be passed in order that the ship continues to be certified by them which allows the carriage of commercial passengers in US waters. These drills are held on a weekly basis regardless of the presence or absence of the USCG and are a vital part of the continuing safety procedures of this ship.

More later

Update no 16

I was one of the last passengers off at about 11.10 and I only got off then because having ignored the “all passengers must disembark” announcement at 11 I was then called by name so discretion being the better part of valour I went off and as usual was taken to the head of the very short line and was soon out in the crisp and cold air of Red Hook. I was due to meet someone for lunch but they were delayed so I took a car to 6601 13th Avenue in Brooklyn. The car bizarrely was from Arecibo and was just lurking waiting for a fare, probably highly illegal but the queue for yellow cabs was about 100 yards long. $15 later I was dropped at Mezes, which is a Greek restaurant in Bensonhurst. It was a very simple place which when full probably holds 90 people, the staff were friendly and the food was very good. I had tatziki (sp) and pasticchi (sp). Too much food really but it was so good. A cup of Greek coffee finished the meal and the bill came to $30 including a tip.

The waitress called be a car to take me back to Red Hook and the driver was straight out of The Godfather, his family were from Napoli and he spoke real Brooklynese, he was absolutely fantastic and took me right to the ship for $17. It makes for a more expensive lunch but it was a real experience. I had picked up a take-away order from the restaurant for a friend on board and as I came up the gangway we bumped into each other so I handed it over to her and received a nice kiss in return.

All in all it was a very nice day. The ship has received 100% from the US Public Health which all concerned are naturally absolutely delighted with. We have now let go our lines, pushed off the berth and sailed towards the Verrazano Bridge and then out into the open Atlantic.

I went out onto deck 8 earlier for a quick drink but it was too chilly to order a second, the sail away is being held in the Pavilion Pool as it was last week so I went instead to the Commodore Club where I rediscovered an old favourite of mine which is a Bombay Mary, I believe that it is similar to a Bloody Mary except it uses Bombay Gin, Port and Dry Sherry with the tomato juice. It is an absolutely delicious variation and is certainly one to try out.

I am back in the cabin for a quick rest and to get ready for the evening, it is elegant casual tonight so that doesn’t take too much time or too much effort..

The weather has a falling barometer, a force 3 south-westerly breeze, slight seas although we are still in the Lower Bay of New York Harbour. We have 3188 nautical miles to go and are currently sailing at a speed of 9 knots. Our longitude is 74 degrees west of Greenwich in the UK which is from where longitude is measured. The world is divided into 180 degrees east and 180 degrees west of Greenwich so we will have travelled slightly more than 20% of the circumference of the world by the time that we reach Southampton, which if you think about is quite a long way.

More later

Cap'n, Have fun on the crossing back to Southampton :) .I was able to see the QM2 both sail to her berth this morning and sail from her berth this evening to past the Verrazano Narrows Bridge on this website which is www.nyharborwebcam.com and whenever there is a passenger ship docked at Manhattan,Brooklyn or Bayonne,New Jersey the webcam does show the ships as they sail into and out of the harbor.Regards,Jerry

Hi Jim,

A question for you. Given that you've done the crossing at various times during the year, are there things you prefer about crossing in November Vs the summer? I'm considering the Jan 3 crossing and wondering if the weather and the short days would put too much of a damper on the voyage. Would love to get your thoughts.

Thanks and enjoy the trip back!

Rob

Hi Jim,

A question for you. Given that you've done the crossing at various times during the year, are there things you prefer about crossing in November Vs the summer? I'm considering the Jan 3 crossing and wondering if the weather and the short days would put too much of a damper on the voyage. Would love to get your thoughts.

Thanks and enjoy the trip back!

Rob

Rob, I enjoy rougher seas than some but I don't believe that there are any guarantees of a particular sea state at any time of the year. The propensity for rougher weather should be in the fall and winter but no-one really knows. Short days could be difficult but I think that you will just make automatic adjustments.

Update no 17

I went to the Chart Room before dinner and there were a few old hands there from last week and also from previous trips so it was very pleasant to see them all again. I received a card informing me that I was to continue on the same table as the last voyage but upon entering the Britannia I found that I was alone on table 89. The Assistant Maître d’ came by to advise that my table assignment had changed today and that I would be on the table of the Chief Engineer so I have that to look forward to. I stayed alone for dinner and it was fascinating to watch the mechanics of the waiting staff, normally you don’t see the waiters moving and carrying the vast loads that they need to, but tonight I was able to observe the whole event. It was like a beehive with people bustling here and there. Of course I had finished my meal within40 minutes of taking my seat so I was up to the Commodore Club by 9.30 and into G32 before 11pm. I have just left there at a little after 1.30am. It seemed like a good idea at the time!

The sea state is slight, the temperature is 46/8 degrees, we are about due south of Boston and there is a force 6 north-westerly wind, and we are making 20 knots.

More later

... I had received an invitation for the Senior Officer’s cocktail party which was to be held in Winter Garden at 11.30 in the morning, needless to say I didn’t attend it as it seems inordinately early for such a party to be held. I wonder why they seem to prefer to hold them in the morning rather than at the more traditional time, I suppose that it could be so that passengers from both dinner sittings can attend, it makes sense that there is some cogent reason and that it is not just an arbitrary decision or maybe I am over-thinking the whole issue.

This is just a guess, but perhaps the wine sales in the restaurants suffer when the Senior Officers' party is held in the evening. On our last crossing we attended this function for the first time. Unless I'm mistaken, it was held between the two sittings so all passengers could attend, even if some arrived a bit late and others left early. The drinks offerings were generous and the bubbly was actually drinkable. When we and many others arrived in our Grill restaurant just after 8:30 (later than normal for us) we certainly didn't want to order any wine. Some people at nearby tables also declined wine, explaining to the sommelier that they had attended the party. With a morning function, I suppose the wine sales could also suffer at lunch, but even in the Grills not everyone goes to lunch and from my observations most of those did not order wine at that meal.

Archived