Capnpugwash is making his last crossing of 2011 on QM2.

capnpugwash

Really? Wow. So in your 9 voyages you've never once taken a tour, or ventured inside the Canyon Ranch Spa to see what's on offer or how much it costs?

Well, I haven't done nine on Cunard, but have never foot inside a spa on any ship - deeply scary places:eek:. Likewise the g*m, though I have noted that they are often in highly desirable locations and pondered on the wasted space.:D

Mary

Well, I haven't done nine on Cunard, but have never foot inside a spa on any ship - deeply scary places:eek:. Likewise the g*m, though I have noted that they are often in highly desirable locations and pondered on the wasted space.:D

Mary

Phew!

I thought it was just me.

I've done 8 on Cunard and am happy to report that I've never seen the inside of any of the Spa's. I have my early morning bath every day where I read the daily news sheet. That's enough.

Stewart

Phew!

I thought it was just me.

I've done 8 on Cunard and am happy to report that I've never seen the inside of any of the Spa's. I have my early morning bath every day where I read the daily news sheet. That's enough.

Stewart

There must be quite a few of us! I have never found the time to visit ;)

There must be quite a few of us! I have never found the time to visit ;)

I just knew you would be one of us:D.

I always imagine them to be full of terrifyingly orange-coloured women in pseudo-medical white coats, trying to flog snake oil. A sense of horrified fascination once led me to a lecture by a Spa staff member, just to see what nonsense they touted: utterly predictable mumbo jumbo about de-toxing, before moving onto "proven" carcinogens (notably deodorant and shampoo, if I recall).

It was like reading the "we're all doomed" Daily Mail, but went on for even longer:D.

Mary

Well . . . I really like the spa, especially if I am using onboard credit for the treatment!! Miss Frankiecat -- nice to see you are onboard again and enjoying Todd English. Have a great time from a very envious Pennsylvanian! Katherine

Having a lovely time on board again. The fallen chocolate pud was to die for, as usual. Hopefully it won't be too long before you are enjoying it again.

S

Have you never bartered for anything? You don't always have to pay full price for things. It never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is no.

Having lived in the Far East for several years, yes I have "bartered" in the bazars, but do not expect to have do so on QM2 - or any other ship .

Are we going to see "bartering" in the dining room or in the shops on board?

Probably.

I believe that Commodore Rynd is returning during December so should be on board for your trip, but I can't confirm that he will be sailing her from the refit, sorry.

I am also on QM2 again this December and glad to hear that Commodore Rynd should be back on duty again. We sailed with him earlier this year on QV's Atlantic Homecoming (and it was not without its incidents!:eek:), found both him and his wife absolutely charming.

Interesting to hear your reflections on the carpet; I am rather looking forward to travelling after the refit but do hope that the subtle colours for the decor are kept. Perhaps it is an age thing, but I am certainly not too keen on ritzy glitzy furnishings.

Glad to read you are having some weather with attitude; we had plenty of that on the QV TA.

Capn, I'm curious what films they're showing in the cinema/planetarium during your crossing. I'll be on board for the 12/12 crossing and once in a while I like to skip the afternoon tea and check out a movie.

I hope you continue to have a pleasant time!

The Spa Passpert prices are posted under the Spa Price List (see page #4)

http://www.cunard.com/Already-Booked/Already-Booked/

Since it only prices up to 5 days , negotiating a better daily rate for those

on long voyages is certainly possible as the Captn has proven.:)

neck and back jet massage, cascading waterfall

shower, reflexology basins, sensory showers, Finnish

sauna, aromatic steam room, herbal sauna and ice

fountain. Bathing suit required.

1 day $40 | 3 days $75 | 5 days $95

A SpaClub Passport is complimentary on the day

of any Health & Wellness, Massage, Body or Skin

Care treatment.

menu

at a glance

CLU B PASSPOR T

Includes use of Aqua Therapy Centre including

whirlpool, aqua therapy pool with chaise longue,

neck and back jet massage, cascading waterfall

shower, reflexology basins, sensory showers, Finnish

sauna, aromatic steam room, herbal sauna and ice

fountain. Bathing suit required.

1 day $40 | 3 days $75 | 5 days $95

A SpaClub Passport is complimentary on the day

of any Health & Wellness, Massage, Body or Skin

Care treatment.

menu

at a glance

Having a lovely time on board again. The fallen chocolate pud was to die for, as usual. Hopefully it won't be too long before you are enjoying it again.

S

My mouth is watering, just thinking about it.

Linda

DSC02074.jpg.553c1367dc5add03a5b15022738b58f3.jpg

They have shown the last part of Harry Potter and Carmen in 3D format

Update no 9.

Following a Weetabix and fruit breakfast I went again to the spa and emerged just after 11am. I had received an invitation for the Senior Officer’s cocktail party which was to be held in Winter Garden at 11.30 in the morning, needless to say I didn’t attend it as it seems inordinately early for such a party to be held. I wonder why they seem to prefer to hold them in the morning rather than at the more traditional time, I suppose that it could be so that passengers from both dinner sittings can attend, it makes sense that there is some cogent reason and that it is not just an arbitrary decision or maybe I am over-thinking the whole issue.

Having sent some shirts and trousers to the ship’s laundry this morning I just went up to the deck 10 laundrette where I have some previous experience. My purpose was a cost containment exercise whereby if I was my smalls, sock, hankies and tee-shirts I can save enough money to provide at least 1 martini. Don’t get me wrong, I use the laundry but having learned how to use these automatic washing machines earlier in the year it seems sensible to enrol in the continuing education plan. The room has three machines of which one is out of service but there was no-one there and the two machines were both empty. It is almost kismet I thought so I dissolved the little bags of detergent that Cunard provide I dropped in my clothes and having remembered my glasses was able to select the appropriate programme and hit the go button. I reckon that I have about 35 minutes until it is time to try and remember how to use the tumble dryer.

I went back to switch machines early, but obviously not early enough as a lady had already done it for me. It seems that I just got there at a moment when there was just no demand. Anyway what difference does it make whether I move it or someone else does but I must ensure that I don’t let the dryer over run otherwise I probably won’t be able to find where it has all been hidden.

The weather today has been mixed with broken cloud that occasionally clears; when it does the sky is baby blue. It is cool at 50/10 degrees and there is a force 6 westerly breeze. Our speed through the moderate seas is only a very uninspiring 17 knots, I am sure that I have driven golf buggies quicker than this. Having said that please be assured that I am in no hurry for this trip to end any earlier than scheduled.

Tonight is the third of the four formal evenings on this westbound and we should have a host on our table. I am getting dressed ready to start the festivities of the evening. We will gain an hour on each of the next three nights so it seems that a visit to G32 may well be on the cards for later tonight.

More later

S

Very nice to see your post and I wish I were there too, to discover Todd English. hwfiv and I missed it on July cruise because our table mates were the very best ever!! Have a great B2B and tell hwfiv I said to buy you a drink in the CC.

Very nice to see your post and I wish I were there too, to discover Todd English. hwfiv and I missed it on July cruise because our table mates were the very best ever!! Have a great B2B and tell hwfiv I said to buy you a drink in the CC.

I feel honoured by your first post on cc. I will be getting off in NYC so no B2B this time but the last week has been great and hwfiv a joy to see. Hope you make it back soon too!

S

Update no 10

The Chart Room was packed this evening as RADA and the Simon Galpe jazz trio were performing together with jazz and poetry, it sounds like a lot of rubbish but about 10% of it was good, of course that means that 90% wasn’t but that is only my opinion. The applause was certainly there for most if not all of their efforts.

After this cultural extravaganza I went into dinner to find that the host of the table was Ruud Jonson who I know from earlier in the year. He is a great host and a very charming man. We had some good conversation, good food and good wine and it doesn’t get much better than that. I went to the Commodore Club where I was chatting to some first time Cunard travellers who are having such a good time. We were joined by Paul O’Loughlin who is a very charming man, he bought us all a drink and we were chatting about all manner of subjects. After that I headed to G32 where I remained until just after 2.30am. thank heavens that the locks go back by 1 hour tonight. I have agreed to partner one of my tablemates in a paddle tennis competition tomorrow at 10.30am, I have no idea whatsoever why I would agree to such an event but I did, so I will turn up and do my very best for her.

It was a great evening and a lot of fun so it would be wrong to make any complaints.

The weather has become quite dull, temperatures of 48/9 degrees, a force 3 south-westerly gentle breeze, a steady barometer and a slight sea. We are now making 18 knots.

More later

I am enjoying your daily posts on the cruise. Could you tell me what a host on the dinner table is for and why somedays you have one and some days you dont?

Basically the tables are only hosted on formal evenings and it is an opportunity for passengers to meet the various officers in a social situation and vice versa. It is common practice for the host to provide and pay for the wine.

Update no 11

Today is Tuesday November 15 and it is now 7.40am. Nothing very much occurred overnight other than a fairly dramatic increase in the air temperature whereby it has gone from being very cool to an almost balmy 63/17 degrees. We are under overcast skies and are sailing on a very slight sea. It seems that we only have891 nautical miles remaining on our trip to New York City having covered 2369 since leaving Southampton.

I went to the buffet again for breakfast just before 8am and once I finished I took a walk on the Promenade Deck, I have no idea where my earlier comment about balmy temperatures came from because in truth it was freezing, with a nasty dampness in the air. I suppose that I should expect little else bearing in mind that I am in the middle of the North Atlantic in November.

I have a busy day ahead of me today, after the tennis this morning I will try to get to the spa over lunchtime and then at 3pm I am going to the Veuve Clicquot champagne afternoon tea in the Winter Garden, there are quite a few of us going to it as it is a new thing on here. I did it on the QE last November with Mrs P and it was a very nice experience, and this is supposed to be a holiday!

The health and safety grinches played their role this morning, just after 10am I got a call from my proposed partner advising me that the paddle tennis had been cancelled due to adverse weather. It wasn’t raining and the court was dry but there was a breeze blowing so they had taken the unilateral decision to stop us playing. If the deck was slippery or hazardous I could understand and support their stance but for wind it is ridiculous. The court is surrounded by netting which prevents anything going over the side. Are we incapable of making up our own minds on subjects such as this, the nanny-state in which we are all coddled is getting everywhere and its pernicious advance needs to be slowed or stopped. So I was able to go to the spa instead which was ok.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the layout I will describe it as best I can; there is a bubbly pool which is about 20 feet square and has 15 seats surrounding it, 10 of which have foot stools. This is linked by a corridor of treatment rooms to a relaxation area which overlooks the starboard deck, this contains 21 chairs and 11 of those also have stools. Tea and water is available here, it is a very comfortable are in which to sit.

We have just had the Captain giving his noon announcement, he tells us that we are 398 miles east of Cape Sable and have 780 nautical miles left before we arrive in New York. We have a force 4 south-westerly breeze and a slight to moderate sea. We have 14,800 feet beneath the keel and are sailing at 17 knots. Apparently at 10pm yesterday evening we passed 84 miles north of the resting place of RMS Titanic, thankfully there were no icebergs about this time.

More later.

They have changed the way it is served Linda - now on a plate with a rasperry coulis 'sail' and cream on the side but as delicious as ever. I took a photo as usual but cannot post it!

I'm glad to hear that because the ice cream had melted all over it and I usually leave the ice cream uneaten.

Linda

Nice to follow your adventures, Cap'n.

Can you confirm which side the shower handles are located on please? It's very troubling as I can't find it listed anywhere on the Cunard website.

On the left which is odd, I took a picture but had problems with my Panasonic camera, you know how unreliable they can be ;);)

thanks for the answer on hosted tables I was just about to ask the same question as sammy TD

we have gone for a table of 6 for dinner was that a wise selection and the 2nd sitting?

Personally I prefer 8s or 10s but second sitting is better that the very early first sitting.

Archived