Port of New York Car Rental?

nyytflyyr

When you disembark in NYC at the port where can you pick up a rental car on a Sunday? We are on a repositioning cruise that ends in NYC and need to rent a car to drive back home to the middle of \Pennsylvania. All the web sites seem to have a pick up at JFK or LGA airports, isn't there any place closer?

While it's true that New Yorkers often don't have cars, that also means that they need to rent in the city, not at an airport. I often pass an Avis location, so I tried them first. A search for locations near "450 West 54th St." on Expedia revealed that Avis has at least 6 Manhattan locations, including 153 West 54th St. and 460 West 42nd. St. (The piers are at the Hudson river in the mid-50's.)

Try Expedia or individual company web sites, since there may be places even closer to the pier than Avis (and both of these are less than a mile away). My quick search found nearby locations for almost every big rental company (Hertz, Avis, National, Dollar, Enterprise, Budget, and Alamo). Interestingly enough, one of the the closest locations to the pier is Enterprise, at 11th Avenue and and 48th St. If you get discounts from any company, try them first. Also call to see if any place will pick you up if you call on your cell phone.

Good luck, and don't forget to post so other people can take advantage of what you learned.

I went thru several rental agency's but finally rented a mini van thru Alamo.

Here is the info:

Enterprise is not open until 3pm in Manhattan on a Sunday

Budget was almost twice the price of Alamo for mini van

National does not have a drop off near where we live

Alamo was good web site no problem and located at w40th st\ cross at 8th

I didn't pursue others further.

Note that I have 200 miles to drive and wanted unlimited milage, some offered 100 miles and then .25 per after that. Alamo was unlimited and the best price.

Expedia,Travelocity and several others were of little help as they would only book a airport pickup and drop off.

Again thanks for the help

We're glad you found an acceptable rental. Rentals in NYC are available but cost more than in most other places.

I don't know about other general travel signts. On Expedia it took some work to find non-airport locations; but by checking "city locations" after they only offered airports, we were able to find the suggesed rental places listed in our last posting.

Ok, I am looking to get a little info too....we are planning on renting a van from Alamo to NYC (one way) from Maryland...does anyone know if they shuttle you to the port like they do in Miami? Or should we hail a cab?

After the cruise, we will re-rent a van and drive it back to Maryland. It sounds like a pain in the butt, but it is actually the least expensive...even including driving my own car...over $200 to park. I'm assuming cab to the rental car location from the pier. Will there be cabs outside waiting, or will we have to flag one down?

Thanks for the information!

Have you looked into buses and trains? Some cruise lines even have buses from Baltimore and Philadelphia to the New York port. Also, unless parking is a lot more than renting a ca, wouldn't it be less hassle to drive? I don't know how long your cruise is - parking near the pier is about $15 per day.

Nyytflyyr,

You might want to check into the price of a private car or limo service to pick you up at the pier and drive you to Penn. Sometimes, that option is not that much more expensive than renting a car in NYC and returning it in another state. Also factor in the price of cab fare from the pier to the car pick up.

Jane

Have you looked into buses and trains? Some cruise lines even have buses from Baltimore and Philadelphia to the New York port. Also, unless parking is a lot more than renting a ca, wouldn't it be less hassle to drive? I don't know how long your cruise is - parking near the pier is about $15 per day.

Parking at Port of New York is $25/day

Yes, but it's $15 at a nearby Icon parking location, Hudson View Garage, 747 10th Avenue at 54th Street (see www.iconparking.com), and there may be closer or cheaper alternatives. (This one is perhaps 0.3 to 0.5 miles from the pier-an acceptable walk with two pieces of rollon luggage. Anyway, you can drop the luggage before parking the car, park, then walk the short distance to the pier, and do the reverse going home.) That's for indoor parking, rather than outdoors on the pier. Try some internet research, or maybe a friend who works in NYC can help you.

Yeah, a train is much more expensive, a bus (greyhound) is about the same, but not quite as comfortable.....There are 6 of us going, so we won't fit in one car unless we rent the van. Then it would be more to park the 2 cars. We figured $225 to park for 1 car, or $205 for the rental between 6 people is cheaper. Can't do the cruiseline bus, we're going up a day early.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

We are taking a cruise from Manhattan New York with two of our friends.

Carnival cancelled an excursion which would have taken us on a NY tour and then drop us off at JFK. Any suggestions? Thought of renting a car.

What to do with the luggage. We booked our flights for evening since we thought we were going to take the excursion. I would appreciate any help. SS10

First of all, you've resurrected a very old thread from eight years ago!

The first advice is 'don't even think about trying to use a car in Manhattan'.

What you should do is get a cab from the port to Schwartz Travel on 36th Street. You can drop your bags there for the day. From there, you're about a three-minute walk from the A/C/E subway lines at Penn Station, and you can explore the city unencumbered from there.

At the end of the day, simply come back to Schwartz, pick up your luggage, and hop in a cab to JFK. (Or to save a bit of money, if you can manage your luggage on the subway, both the uptown E train and the downtown A train connect with AirTrain to JFK. There's an elevator directly to the uptown E platform at the southeast corner of 34th St and 8th Avenue.)

We are taking a cruise from Manhattan New York with two of our friends.

Carnival cancelled an excursion which would have taken us on a NY tour and then drop us off at JFK. Any suggestions? Thought of renting a car.

What to do with the luggage. We booked our flights for evening since we thought we were going to take the excursion. I would appreciate any help. you might want to look into these guys:

http://www.mykindoftown.com/cruise_ship_arrival_tour.html

• 5 months later...

The port at Carnival has a parking area, but as of 1/1/2013 it is now $40 per day to park there.

I found that Enterprise will beat any local competitor's price. They have weekly rates of 5 days + the next 2 days free. There is a fee for dropping the car off at a different location than the one where you picked it up.

Location is 11th and 48th, about a 10 minute walk (0.5 miles) from the Carnival port.

Just some information for people in case they need someplace to start. I haven't looked into any of the other rental car companies yet... so I might be posting again.

The port at Carnival has a parking area, but as of 1/1/2013 it is now $40 per day to park there.

I found that Enterprise will beat any local competitor's price. They have weekly rates of 5 days + the next 2 days free. There is a fee for dropping the car off at a different location than the one where you picked it up.

Location is 11th and 48th, about a 10 minute walk (0.5 miles) from the Carnival port.

Just some information for people in case they need someplace to start. I haven't looked into any of the other rental car companies yet... so I might be posting again.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. May I suggest you that you post anything you feel is worth sharing on a new thread. This one is from 2005, which is why parking at the pier was stated to be $25. Unfortunately someone resurrected the thread a few months ago for no good reason, which also resulted in a couple additional posts...but in reality there's no good reason to start up discussions on an old inactive thread...it just leads to confusion.

Edited by njhorseman