QM2 Overdressing?

sardensav

Hello everyone,

Firstly, I just want to say thanks for all the useful info on these forums. I've been lurking for a while and you've been really helpful. (It's my first post so please be gentle! :p)

Apologies if my question has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything that specifically addresses my query, which is:

Basically I'm worried that I will be overdressed on the 2 elegant casual nights on my forthcoming crossing (EB TA next week!). I don't get many opportunities to dress up and I'm not talking long dresses/ball gowns, but perhaps floaty trousers and evening tops, for example. Will I look overdressed if I wear something like that or e.g. a cocktail dress on an elegant casual night? My husband thinks I'm being silly worrying and should wear what I want - but the dress code is so much easier for men! Am I the only person that wishes it were formal every night?! :)

In case anyone is interested, we booked a cheap A4 and last week I phoned Cunard and paid a very small amount to upgrade to P3. Yesterday got surprise upgrade to P1. To say that I am beyond excited is an understatement!

Regards

Sarah

Hello everyone,

Firstly, I just want to say thanks for all the useful info on these forums. I've been lurking for a while and you've been really helpful. (It's my first post so please be gentle! :p)

Apologies if my question has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything that specifically addresses my query, which is:

Basically I'm worried that I will be overdressed on the 2 elegant casual nights on my forthcoming crossing (EB TA next week!). I don't get many opportunities to dress up and I'm not talking long dresses/ball gowns, but perhaps floaty trousers and evening tops, for example. Will I look overdressed if I wear something like that or e.g. a cocktail dress on an elegant casual night? My husband thinks I'm being silly worrying and should wear what I want - but the dress code is so much easier for men! Am I the only person that wishes it were formal every night?! :)

No you are not the only person. I too find formal nights so much easier than elegant casual.

You will not be overdressed on elegant casual nights if you wear the items you've suggested. If you do have any long dresses don't hesitate to take them for a formal night; QM2 is one of the few places left where we get to dress up and it's just wonderful to see everyone looking so elegant on formal nights.

The only thing I'd probably recommend not wearing on an elegant casual night is a 'sparkly top'. A plainer material would probably be more appropriate. Maybe something like this? At the end of the day as long as you adhere to the dress code for each evening you'll be fine.

web.jpg?ver=13211852430001

In case anyone is interested, we booked a cheap A4 and last week I phoned Cunard and paid a very small amount to upgrade to P3. Yesterday got surprise upgrade to P1. To say that I am beyond excited is an understatement!

Regards

Sarah

You are going to have the most wonderful time. The Princess Grill staterooms are exquisite. The food and service in the Princess Grill restaurant is simply wonderful and don't forget that Grill passengers have their own afternoon tea in the Queens Grill lounge.

No you are not the only person. I too find formal nights so much easier than elegant casual.

You will not be overdressed on elegant casual nights if you wear the items you've suggested. If you do have any long dresses don't hesitate to take them for a formal night; QM2 is one of the few places left where we get to dress up and it's just wonderful to see everyone looking so elegant on formal nights.

The only thing I'd probably recommend not wearing on an elegant casual night is a 'sparkly top'. A plainer material would probably be more appropriate. Maybe something like this? At the end of the day as long as you adhere to the dress code for each evening you'll be fine.

web.jpg?ver=13211852430001

You are going to have the most wonderful time. The Princess Grill staterooms are exquisite. The food and service in the Princess Grill restaurant is simply wonderful and don't forget that Grill passengers have their own afternoon tea in the Queens Grill lounge.

As to the Tea, they do like to just pour from any pot they are carring. There is a tea menu that is handed out. Certainly feel free to order from that menu. We certainly did.

Im afraid I have to disagree with the above poster. Wear what you like, and a sparkly top on an E/C night will not go amiss, far from it. I wear full on ball gowns on formal nights, long dresses, sometimes strapless, sometimes now, always formal though on s/formal nights and on e/c I wear cocktail dresses, or a long plain body hugging velvet dress minus the sequins. I've never had any problems, and the staff really appreciate you dressing up. Which I love to do!

I personally would rather be more "dressy" than look as though I was going to the local paint store .

I always wear an elegant long dress on casual nights, I just tone down the accessories to those more plain. instance a pashmina stole rather than a sparkly beaded chiffon on, a regular necklace rather than a "diamante" one.

I do not wear a hat on the ascot night, flying to the ship makes packing a hotbox inpractical.also for this reason I do consider the weight of the dress. I love the beaded ones, but they do weigh

more than those that are undecorated, and for same reason limit the amount of material in the skirt,masses of chiffon look wonderful floating around as you walk but are a pain to pack.

Have fun,

Lynn

sardensav, I hate to do it, but I agree with your husband! :p You adore dressing up, and there are so few occasions back home to do it. Please wear that outfit with aplomb and savor every moment!

Just to reassure you, when we crossed in July, I saw a fair number of women who dressed as you've proposed (which IMO is "semi-formal") on both elegant casual nights and formal nights. As you've pointed out, women interpret dress codes in so many ways--thank goodness we all have our own personal sense of style; it would be so boring otherwise! I'm confident you'll meet others who share your joy in dressing up. And it is "so Cunard," which is all about celebrating the glorious history of oceanliner passage...when dress was formal every night. You'll also meet travelers for whom the voyage is just another leg of a bigger trip--their choices will be constrained by baggage allowances. (That was me this summer. I met the guidelines, of course, but I wished to do it with more splash!) You'll meet ladies with physical conditions that motivate them to wear nondescript trousers or skirts but select tops that draw the admiring eye to their upper bodies and faces.

Bottom line, as long as people minimally adhere so as not to detract from the ambiance created by the requested level of attire, who are we to judge what others have chosen? A commercial voyage on a large ship like the QM2 is not comparable to a social event back home. It is an experience everyone's paid to enjoy.

Congrats on that sweet upgrade! I hope you and your husband enjoy your first QM2 crossing and conclude, as we did, that it won't be our last! :)

PS - Thumbs up on the "style" comments cross-posted above while I was pecking.

Thanks everyone for all the replies - what a helpful bunch you are!

I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about it now. All the other threads about dress code, seemed to be about how to meet it/minimum required so I'm pleased to hear that others focus more on the elegant than the casual too!

Anyway, I really can't wait now - particularly as we have been so lucky with the upgrade; what a treat!

Bell Boy - you'll easily find me, I'll be the one hiding in the corner, completely overdressed! :D

I agree about dressing up on an evening. I always take some dresses for the elegant casual nights. I think you will see plenty of ladies dressed for the occasion of being on QM2.

Princess grill is amazing, we have had the opportunity on two occasions of being in princess grill and loved it.

Please let us know what you think when you get back.

Catherine

I'll be traveling on the full 2012 WC. I have about 10 formal gowns. I am glad you raised this question as I was just becoming a bit self conscience about being overdressed. After reading this thread I think I will fit in and have a wonderful time.

Kit

PARTIAL QUOTE

...Will I look overdressed if I wear something like that or e.g. a cocktail dress on an elegant casual night?Regards

Sarah

Hi Sarah. You have received good opinions from several experienced Cunard passengers. For what it's worth, my opinion is to follow the dress code. 'Elegant casual' does not mean a cocktail dress as that is semi-formal. However, just as some men wear a tie with their jacket even on elegant casual nights, so do many women choose to wear something like a simple but elegant black dress - and that is about as fancy as it gets. A cocktail dress is over the top for elegant casual, but just as a few passengers under-dress, so do some over-dress.

I've noted that many feel dressing to the hilt is in accord with being on QM2, regardless of the dress code. That is not my feeling. If I was invited to the White House, Buckingham Palace, or my neighbors house, I would follow the requested dress code for the occasion. And if the dress code was elegant casual, I would no more wear a cocktail dress than a jogging suit: I show my respect for my hosts and fellow guests by abiding by the dress code. Of course, this is only my personal custom and opinion. I have no experience of Grill accomodations. Perhaps the custom regarding adherence to the dress code differs there?

Best wishes for a wonderful voyage. :)

Regards,

Salacia

PARTIAL QUOTE

Hi Sarah. You have received good opinions from several experienced Cunard passengers. For what it's worth, my opinion is to follow the dress code. 'Elegant casual' does not mean a cocktail dress as that is semi-formal. However, just as some men wear a tie with their jacket even on elegant casual nights, so do many women choose to wear something like a simple but elegant black dress - and that is about as fancy as it gets. A cocktail dress is over the top for elegant casual, but just as a few passengers under-dress, so do some over-dress.

I've noted that many feel dressing to the hilt is in accord with being on QM2, regardless of the dress code. That is not my feeling. If I was invited to the White House, Buckingham Palace, or my neighbors house, I would follow the requested dress code for the occasion. And if the dress code was elegant casual, I would no more wear a cocktail dress than a jogging suit: I show my respect for my hosts and fellow guests by abiding by the dress code. Of course, this is only my personal custom and opinion. I have no experience of Grill accomodations. Perhaps the custom regarding adherence to the dress code differs there?

Best wishes for a wonderful voyage. :)

Regards,

Salacia

With the greatest respect, I'm not sure which Cunard voyages you've been on Salacia, but a cocktail dress is not overdressed for E/C evgs and a black dress is not as fancy as it gets!

This is Cunard! For goodness sake, if you can't get the diamonds and gowns out on this trio of liners, when can you?

And adhering to the dress code and showing respect - that is just being disingenuous. You adhere to a dress code which is put in place to ensure that you are not Under-dressed, not the opposite.

To the original poster - take it from me, wear as many ball gowns, cocktail dresses or long dresses as you like, and do not worry one bit about being overdressed on E/C evenings. You won't be. And if you are still not convinced, then take the advice of Ray Rouse, previous Ent Director on QM2 and Cunard through and through.

'Over my dead body will Cunard relax dress codes. They are there to ensure people dress up and maintain a high standard'.

Keep the flag flying, and wear your best!

PARTIAL QUOTE

I applaud your respect for good manners when following the dress code (despite cruise lines' inexplicable variance from the proper dress code applied everywhere else when it comes to the definition of "formal"!). I would hope that gentlemen, especially, take your good advice and counsel on board before deciding to follow their personal whims. Many posts here stating what one "will wear if one wants to" clearly do not take good manners into account.

But surely for ladies, a considerable amount of flexibility is possible? The iconic "little black dress" is capable of serving in all capacities of the dress code, if the right one is chosen to start with, and then accessorized appropriately. Perhaps the problem stems from the term "cocktail dress" having come to mean something rather different now than it used to? I know what I have in mind when using it, but what is often sold as such these days bears little resemblance.

Personally, I find the use of "dress up" or "dress down" indicative of our having lost the concept of simply dressing appropriately. I suppose it's to be expected, when Web traffic on sites like "People of Wal-Mart" is much higher than that on sites dedicated to good manners!

And adhering to the dress code and showing respect - that is just being disingenuous. You adhere to a dress code which is put in place to ensure that you are not Under-dressed, not the opposite.

Sorry, but it is never good manners to be a spectacle, or to make others uncomfortable by one's dress. And it is possible to do either by over-dressing or under-dressing.

Thanks everyone for all the replies - what a helpful bunch you are!

I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about it now. All the other threads about dress code, seemed to be about how to meet it/minimum required so I'm pleased to hear that others focus more on the elegant than the casual too!

Anyway, I really can't wait now - particularly as we have been so lucky with the upgrade; what a treat!

Bell Boy - you'll easily find me, I'll be the one hiding in the corner, completely overdressed! :D

Make sure you go lunch in the Princess Grill on embarkation day. The best tables, with the best view, are down the end of the restaurant towards the stern. To the left of the 'P' in Princess Grill in the below picture.

web.png?ver=13212565470001

You can always ask to move if don't like where you're sitting.

And I'm glad to hear that you'll be making the most of your voyage and dressing up to the max. As other's have said, the QM2 is the perfect location to do this. As always, as long as you're meeting the dress code, you will be fine.

Oh, and the entry to the Princess Grill is quite long. We referred to it as a 'runway'. We always enjoyed seeing the ladies arrive in their gowns etc, as did our fellow diners.

Below is the view from the PG looking towards the bow. As you can see the runway is quite long.

web.jpg?ver=13066734170001

With the greatest respect, I'm not sure which Cunard voyages you've been on Salacia, but a cocktail dress is not overdressed for E/C evgs and a black dress is not as fancy as it gets!

This is Cunard! For goodness sake, if you can't get the diamonds and gowns out on this trio of liners, when can you?

To the original poster - take it from me, wear as many ball gowns, cocktail dresses or long dresses as you like, and do not worry one bit about being overdressed on E/C evenings. You won't be. And if you are still not convinced, then take the advice of Ray Rouse, previous Ent Director on QM2 and Cunard through and through.

'Over my dead body will Cunard relax dress codes. They are there to ensure people dress up and maintain a high standard'.

Keep the flag flying, and wear your best!

In answer to your question, I wear my diamonds and my gowns on formal occasions. And those occasions are not limited to any ocean voyage.

You called me disingenuous. Please do not do that again.

Regarding "keep the flag flying" well, that's a whole different topic.

Nevertheless, apparently we all have different interpretations of the dress code: some follow the code, and some do not. To each his or her own.

Cheers,

Salacia

You adhere to a dress code which is put in place to ensure that you are not Under-dressed, not the opposite.

Since when? A dress code should only be ignored if you are prepared for the under-dressers to do likewise.

Bad form, with attention-seeking overtones, to either under-dress or over-dress. Whatever next!

Peter

On my 10th cruise with Crystal (about 5 yers ago), it was the end segment of the World Cruise, in Honolulu the President of the line came aboard accompanied with a time and motion study group.

He held a seminar, and after a World Cruiser (one of the 100 on board- the ship holds 600+ passengers ) had complained that World Cruisers did not like sharing with those doing segments, the President said that "in future segments would be sold at a much higher daily rate than the World Cruise IN ORDER TO LIMIT THE NUMBER of segment passengers'

That was when I switched to Cunard.

That attitude of "World cruisers" towards "segment cruisers" was evident on P&O Oriana, Arcadia and QM2 this year.

However - only about 30% of the passengers aboard each of these ships were on the complete World cruises. Methinks that the "World cruisers" should be very grateful to the 'segment cruisers" - as without them, their World cruises would be three times the price! - and sailing on QM2 with only 600 passengers would be like being on a ghost ship

Barry

Archived