Difference between Australian and American style cruising

A few years ago there was a Novocastrian contribitor to these boards who provided thoughtful, non controversal opinion on all matters cruising.

Geoff was always a delight to discuss topics with, and I found myself thinking that perhaps Newcastle has some sophistication about it.

Unfortunately, and for reasons I do not fathom, Geoff has had to move on.

The recent verbage on this forum has also unfortunately made me re-assess my ideas about Newcastle and the folk from there.

so be it

Flipper

Please don't extrapolate the antics of one person - and therefore denigrate the rest of Newcastle. :D I know it is easy for all of us to do - but it only leads to false generalisations.

Geoff is still around in another place - he is easy enough to find and is still a great store of information and knowledge (apart from also being a nice bloke ) :D

Barry

Getting back to the topic......1 of the differences I see is the tipping issue. Americans are use to tipping and it appears Aussie are not as well as many Europeans. Personally I am a person who does the auto tips and also tips individual crew who provide above and beyond service during the cruise. I like to smoke cigars so the waiters who keeps me in stock with my drink of choice while I enjoy my smoke get a nice extra tip and I usually tip the room steward extra also. All in all i normally give out a extra 150.00 bucks to various crew and why I do that is the auto tipping is shared and the cash I put in their pocket they get to keep all of it. While I am not super rich I budget for this so it is not an issue and I do the extra tipping all though the cruise not just at the end. I also like to notice where the crew is from and if I have been there I will talk/ask them about there home and the things I have done there :)

Aussies and Kiwis tip in the USA and Canada, but not at home as it is not part of our culture and service is already been paid for in the price your pay for goods and services. People are supposed to be PAID WAGES.

If you tip in NZ and Australia you are paying extra and personally I think most of us downunder do not want tipping to become the norm.

Oyster,

I believe I met you on the ill fated swine flu cruise on the Carnival Splendor. Yes tipping is an American thing for sure and many of those in the tipping industry in the USA make more in tips than they would if they were paid a wage of say 10.00 bucks and hr it is part of our culture and I competely understand why cultures who dont do it as a norm dont agree with it. Also the TA I use usually includes pre paid tips that is another reason I tip extra and i dont care where the crew is from i have never had 1 say oh where I am from we dont do that and give it back :D

Oyster,

I believe I met you on the ill fated swine flu cruise on the Carnival Splendor. Yes tipping is an American thing for sure and many of those in the tipping industry in the USA make more in tips than they would if they were paid a wage of say 10.00 bucks and hr it is part of our culture and I competely understand why cultures who dont do it as a norm dont agree with it. Also the TA I use usually includes pre paid tips that is another reason I tip extra and i dont care where the crew is from i have never had 1 say oh where I am from we dont do that and give it back :D

Yes,

Hi how are you?

We are booked for the Carnival Honolulu cruise to Sydney next year. Can't wait. Excellent price for a balcony cabin but they are starting to climb.

We did an Alaskan cruise with our compensation and another 20 or so days in Canada, fabulous trip.Very fond memories and much better experience on Carnival than on SWINE FLU cruise.

We didn't participate in any of cruise critic activities on Splendor for the Swine Flu cruise as I had a cold and didn't want anyone to think I had the flu.

We had been up late all night because our Qantas plane was grounded in Auckland and we only got to a hotel at about quarter to 4 in the morning.

So we got to LAX a day late and missed on first night on the Queen Mary.

We had time for an hour lie down and a shower on the Queen Mary before boarding Carnival Splendor.

I was not impressed with Splendor but I wasn't well having got wet and cold at Auckland airport waiting for a bus to take us to Auckland city hotel.

These things happen and you just get over it.

We cancelled our following Baja cruise on Carnival Paradise as it too was not going to Ensenada and instead Amtraked up to Santa Barbara where we were met by BIG FIRES.

Governor Arnold declared a state of emergency.

Our friends at home thought we must be jinxed because the first night back after Splendor on the QUeen Mary Hotel at 1 am the fire alarm kept going off.

A very interesting trip.

We had an uneventful cruise on Sapphire Princess Los Angeles to Vancouver though- no passengers "dying to get off" in San Francisco as there was on Carnival Splendor.

Oyster,

Pre paid tips paid to your Travel agent makes it easy and is the way its done in NZ when booking overseas Carnival cruises,.

I do believe the staff give good service and when it is pre -paid its done and dealt with.

In NZ the minimum wage is $13.25 an hour I think but many political parties are pushing it to be at least $15 per hour as it is way too low and not a wage that people can live on.

What I said was obviously not appreciated as the post has been removed!!!

Yes,

well I read it and you were right on the button.

Seems as though Sutho can dish it out but can't take it back:)

Really I am still thinking he is a wind up-

can't believe anyone could IN REAL LIFE be so insensitive or rude.

Yes,

well I read it and you were right on the button.

Seems as though Sutho can dish it out but can't take it back:)

Really I am still thinking he is a wind up-

can't believe anyone could IN REAL LIFE be so insensitive or rude.

I never got a chance to read whatever was written so it looks like someone else reported it.

I stand 100% by what I wrote on the first page. My discription of the ships P&O Australia use was true and accurate.

If people want to take my description of a ship as a personal insult and start arguments then that is their problem.

If you think my opinions are harsh then you ought to take a look at the Berlitz guide to cruising by Douglas Ward - Now that is full harsh opinions and extreme views and really does lay into mass market cruising.

The person who started this post only wanted to know the difference. I gave my opinion.

When Princess cruise down here in their season the passengers they attract are older and into cruising.

I believe it is a fairly safe bet that when Celebrity cruises down here that their passenger base is similar to Princess, and that you would not find the likes of passengers on Celebrity that you find on P&O Australia. Celebrity is expensive and their Australian passengers would more than likely come from Watsons Bay, Valcluse, Mosman opposed to Macquarie Fields.

The clientele that Celebrirty attracts would be the kind that stay at 5 star hotels. They are into the finer things in life. It is very clear that this is who their market is aimed at (Premium Cruising)

As I said earlier you dont need to be a genius to understand how different cruise lines market to different types of passengers.

P&O Australia is mass market with older hand-me-down ships, they market to families and the ordinary every day Australian after a fun filled holiday on a ship.

A like like Celebrity is Premium and markets higher priced cruises to people who enjoy the finer things in life, enjoy fine dining, food and wine and travel. It is a completely different market to P&O Australia and they are not aiming for the same passenger base.

The only people who would travel on both lines are the extreme cruise enthusiasts that want to try absolutely everything.

I made no secret my favourite line is P&O UK - again mass market for ordinary everyday people.

These cruise critic meet ups on ships are always impossible to guarantee. Just because I was not there does not make me a snob. When I cruise I go with the flow onboard, I rarely plan any event and take each day as it comes.

Radiance was a quick fast paced cruise with lots to do. Boarding, straight to the pool decks, swimming, sun, lifeboat drill, ship exploration, dinner, theatre show, firework display, sailaway....list goes on.

Why do you say the Cruise Critic meet ups on ships are always impossible to guarantee?

If you know what to do, it's easy peasy.

Jilly:)

Sutho; I never got a chance to read whatever was written so it looks like someone else reported .

It was neither directed to you nor was it about you. It was a request and query to the Moderators! So don't sweat the small stuff!

Hi Sutho,you previously stated that you have seen a lot of the world on the many cruises you have been on but I beg to differ.You have had a glimpse of the world.If you went to Casablanca would you say that you have seen Morocco?The same with if you sailed to Cape Town,would you say that you have seen Africa?

I don't have a big cruise history but I have done a lot of land travel so don't assume that the person is not as well travelled as you.

Regards Elaine.

It is not what you are saying that has upset people,

It is how you said it and came across about people who choose to sail on P&O ships in Australia and Carnival ships in North America.

If you re-read some of your posts then I would think you should be able to understand that your tone is rude, condescending and borders on insulting.

You implied that Because I am 3 times your age (and I am definitely not) I must not have a life as good as yours-

as I have not been on as many cruises as you.

If this is how you've turned out with your life, for that I am glad mines not like, or as you state as good as yours.

Admittedly I asked for a comment like that by stating you should get a life.

Which I said because you implied that people who sailed on Australian P&O ships knew no different and did not appreciate that there were classier ships to sail on. Which is not necessarily true.

Most of us know fully well what is out there and available.

We can know there are nicer ships, but still choose P&O for a number of reasons.

1. Cost- not everyone cares how classy a ship is, about decor or level of service - as long as food is adequate and the ship gets you to the destination in a clean cabin.

You have based complaints on Pacific Sun on heresay and not your own actual experience-

I see your favourite ship to date is listed as Sapphire Princess- I also love this ship.

But I will also travel on an Australian P&O ship if the price is right, as Princess ships are in the main more expensive and it is the journey and not the ship that is most important to me. I do like trying new ships and plan to in the future. And on looking at various itineraries and prices have made the decision that suits both my husband and I.

We both like to dress up at night and have always done so at Dinner in the Main dining rooms in both Carnival and P&O ships.What other people do is their concern but I have never seen poorly dressed people at the Main dining Rooms in the evening on either Carnival or P&O but then we have alway taken longer cruises.

2.The PRICE,

3.Itinerary and

4.Date fit

That is why I will go on an older ship more than once.

You are a young man and you seem to know what you like and don't like and there is nothing wrong with that.

However, when you are voicing an opinion (and that is OK)

Keep in mind we all have other things going on in our lives.

I have grandchildren now, and other family commitments and the flashest ship , nice as it is, is just not that important to me or my husband if our needs/desires are met elsewhere.

Doesn't mean I don't KNOW ANY BETTER though, as you said and implied over numerous posts.

I think this thread has done its course-

you could have explained to the original poster differences as you saw them in much less inflammatory statements- and based them on personal experience other than heresay.

I have been on Pacific Sun twice and probably will not sail on her again unless it's price is cheaper than other cruises because I want to try different ships and itineraries.

Having said that I have no desire to do the destinations the Pacific Sun does again in a hurry. Both cruises on Pacific Sun were ok and nothing like the horror stories you have been relating on the thread.

I have been on Pacific Sun -you haven't.

It is not what you are saying that has upset people,

It is how you said it and came across about people who choose to sail on P&O ships in Australia and Carnival ships in North America.

If you re-read some of your posts then I would think you should be able to understand that your tone is rude, condescending and borders on insulting.

You implied that Because I am 3 times your age (and I am definitely not) I must not have a life as good as yours-

as I have not been on as many cruises as you.

If this is how you've turned out with your life, for that I am glad mines not like, or as you state as good as yours.

Admittedly I asked for a comment like that by stating you should get a life.

Which I said because you implied that people who sailed on Australian P&O ships knew no different and did not appreciate that there were classier ships to sail on. Which is not necessarily true.

Most of us know fully well what is out there and available.

We can know there are nicer ships, but still choose P&O for a number of reasons.

1. Cost- not everyone cares how classy a ship is, about decor or level of service - as long as food is adequate and the ship gets you to the destination in a clean cabin.

You have based complaints on Pacific Sun on heresay and not your own actual experience-

I see your favourite ship to date is listed as Sapphire Princess- I also love this ship.

But I will also travel on an Australian P&O ship if the price is right, as Princess ships are in the main more expensive and it is the journey and not the ship that is most important to me. I do like trying new ships and plan to in the future. And on looking at various itineraries and prices have made the decision that suits both my husband and I.

We both like to dress up at night and have always done so at Dinner in the Main dining rooms in both Carnival and P&O ships.What other people do is their concern but I have never seen poorly dressed people at the Main dining Rooms in the evening on either Carnival or P&O but then we have alway taken longer cruises.

2.The PRICE,

3.Itinerary and

4.Date fit

That is why I will go on an older ship more than once.

You are a young man and you seem to know what you like and don't like and there is nothing wrong with that.

However, when you are voicing an opinion (and that is OK)

Keep in mind we all have other things going on in our lives.

I have grandchildren now, and other family commitments and the flashest ship , nice as it is, is just not that important to me or my husband if our needs/desires are met elsewhere.

Doesn't mean I don't KNOW ANY BETTER though, as you said and implied over numerous posts.

I think this thread has done its course-

you could have explained to the original poster differences as you saw them in much less inflammatory statements- and based them on personal experience other than heresay.

I have been on Pacific Sun twice and probably will not sail on her again unless it's price is cheaper than other cruises because I want to try different ships and itineraries.

Having said that I have no desire to do the destinations the Pacific Sun does again in a hurry. Both cruises on Pacific Sun were ok and nothing like the horror stories you have been relating on the thread.

I have been on Pacific Sun -you haven't.

sorry Sutho,

I was incorrect in implying Pete's post was for you/about you- I read it as such.

My post is FOR YOU definitely

As I said I know my stuff about ships and cruise lines and who they appeal to and what markets they are designed to sell to.

If you think my views are harsh then check out the Berlitz Guide to Cruising written by Douglas Ward......now that is full of extremely harsh remarks where he really gets stuck into mass market cruising.

As I said I know my stuff about ships and cruise lines and who they appeal to and what markets they are designed to sell to.

If you think my views are harsh then check out the Berlitz Guide to Cruising written by Douglas Ward......now that is full of extremely harsh remarks where he really gets stuck into mass market cruising.

I give up - you still don't get it:(

Archived