Difference between Australian and American style cruising

I feel the same way. I dont care what people do wear the lanyard or not, I just find it amusing that it is something Australians do when the rest of the world doesnt.

Not true- we have seen people getting off ships in Cozumel Mexico with lanyards around their necks.

Well I use a lanyard! I don't want to put my card in my pocket and worry about losing it all the time and I am not about to give it to my DH to mind' date=' what if I want to duck into the shops for a bit of retail therapy. I would have to ask him for my card, to which he would want to know what I wanted it for...... it is like money, and I want my own in easy reach so why not a lanyard.

I think we need to take a vote......... who wears a lanyard ....... and is proud of it????

ME!

Here, here I'm with you Eileen. I hunt around for a new lanyard for each cruise. Besides, not all my shorts or tops have pockets.

From what I have seen, the newbee Blue Carders seem to get a bit confused (as we all do) while they work out what they want to do.

Gold carders have been there before so are less confused

Platinum Carders tend to want to display there "status"

But conversley, Black Card Elitists tend to regard lanyards as "common".

I guess some time in the future Elitists will be given a Micro Chip..embedded somewhere on their body.. I wont suggest where... and they can strut all they like around ...no lanyard...but they can make the machine go dooing dooing when going ashore.

Might make for some interesting anticts getting into their cabins however :p

I'm a platinum by the way...no ambition of anything higher

cheers

I think its a worldwide thing. Not only when cruising but quite common to see workers were their security cards on their lanyards.

That's usually when it's a company requirement due to security i.e. so you can readily see that the person in the secure area is authorised to be there (criminals faking them notwithstanding :-) ). Alternatively, sometimes there's an OH&S reason behind it.

People usually don't want to be on a cruise and reminded of work though!

I think only insecure people wear these coloured cruise cards around their neck just to show off their elite status. If they need to wear a lanyard around their neck to make friends by showing off their cruising history then they have serious problems. Even people sugusting that people are capable of this makes me cringe.

If people are seriously wearing them around their neck just to show of their cruising status as suggested by some people above then I think that is truely sick.

I can understand some people like a lanyard, but wearing it to show off is another story.

I think only insecure people wear these coloured cruise cards around their neck just to show off their elite status. If they need to wear a lanyard around their neck to make friends by showing off their cruising history then they have serious problems. Even people sugusting that people are capable of this makes me cringe.

If people are seriously wearing them around their neck just to show of their cruising status as suggested by some people above then I think that is truely sick.

I can understand some people like a lanyard, but wearing it to show off is another story.

As noted by several posters, lanyards are work for many reasons. On Disney Ships you may see passengers and cast/crew wearing lanyards adorned with collections of Disney pins for exchange at swap meets, promoted in the on board newletter. A practice that has crept across from the theme parks apparently.

Pin-Trading-Lanyard1-300x300.jpg

Colleen

As noted by several posters, lanyards are work for many reasons. On Disney Ships you may see passengers and cast/crew wearing lanyards adorned with collections of Disney pins for exchange at swap meets, promoted in the on board newletter. A practice that has crept across from the theme parks apparently.

Colleen

Too cute. I can just see myself wearing one of these :rolleyes:.

Still, when in Rome.....

I feel the same way. I dont care what people do wear the lanyard or not, I just find it amusing that it is something Australians do when the rest of the world doesnt.

Royal Caribbean issue lanyards to all children in their kids clubs and this was in America not Australia so when you say the "rest of the world doesn't" would be an incorrect assumption.

Colleen

It is very big in Disneyland, the amount and variety of pins is amazing.... not cheap though, at $10 average it can add up. We saw hundreds of people wearing the Disneyland lanyard which was packed with pins and they were wearing them proudly.

:D I have been on 7 Celebrity cruises that either started, ended, or visited the USA, and I can tell you there were plenty of people wearing lanyards. I think this is just more convenient when one doesn't have pockets or want to carry a bag.

I know this will sound rediculous, but I can't wear a lanyard cause it give me a headache. I must just have sensitive neck nerves, so I either carry a small camera bag, cause I have my camera all the time anyway, or I put my card in my .... bra. Now, talk about class;) LOL!

Must be about time for a topic change :D. All this talk about the insecure people who wear lanyards (hmmmmmm maybe we should start a separate thread for insecure people who wear lanyards - ya know, group therapy) LOLOLOLOLO :p

OK I vote for T I P P I N G :eek:

Sutho, I'm disappointed I didn't get to meet you on the Radiance. I'm sure your not such an egomaniac in real life :D

Must be about time for a topic change :D. All this talk about the insecure people who wear lanyards (hmmmmmm maybe we should start a separate thread for insecure people who wear lanyards - ya know, group therapy) LOLOLOLOLO :p

OK I vote for T I P P I N G :eek:

Sutho, I'm disappointed I didn't get to meet you on the Radiance. I'm sure your not such an egomaniac in real life :D

I had lots to do on the Radiance last weekend. In fact the lady I was travelling with just happened to be a professional model/actress and has appeared on Australian tv...

To be honest I never expected such people to come out with such passion and abuse just because I have no intention to travel with P&O Australia.

Its true that I consider their ships hand-me-down rust buckets - if people happen to like them, then whats the big deal when others dont?

I happen to know very closely 7 people who have been on the notorious Newcastle Pacific Sun cruise - and the stories about it, the attitude of P&O is quite disgusting when you hear it first hand. Unfortunately some of those people will not be cruising again. I was considering trying P&O Australia this year, but after what happened to them and how P&O handled the situation I decided not to and went to Ayers Rock instead.

I had lots to do on the Radiance last weekend. In fact the lady I was travelling with just happened to be a professional model/actress and has appeared on Australian tv...

To be honest I never expected such people to come out with such passion and abuse just because I have no intention to travel with P&O Australia.

Its true that I consider their ships hand-me-down rust buckets - if people happen to like them, then whats the big deal when others dont?

I happen to know very closely 7 people who have been on the notorious Newcastle Pacific Sun cruise - and the stories about it, the attitude of P&O is quite disgusting when you hear it first hand. Unfortunately some of those people will not be cruising again. I was considering trying P&O Australia this year, but after what happened to them and how P&O handled the situation I decided not to and went to Ayers Rock instead.

Personally, I'm not a P&O fan, having done a few myself, one more booked and I doubt I will ever cruise with them again. In fact, I agree with a lot of what you say, so guess what, my passion comes from elsewhere :p.

Oh good grief! So what? We all had lots to do last weekend. The pair of you were too good to meet up with fellow cruisers from a forum you have chosen to converse with in cyber space? And you wonder why your receiving such a reception now? Seriously! In fact, I believe it was I who guided you to the roll call. Writing such rubbish makes me think of a new topic.

New topic.........S N O B B E R Y :p or is that N O B B E R Y :D

You should read him over in the P&O UK forum - they have changed the so-called gratuities to be "automatic" . Poor diddums can't possibly afford to pay $5 per day during his many World cruises.

Barry

I doubt he can afford $5 a day, after all he posted earlier that he was "just" a truck driver.:rolleyes:

Sutho, just had a thought, maybe you wear a tuxedo when driving your truck.lol.

Personally, I'm not a P&O fan, having done a few myself, one more booked and I doubt I will ever cruise with them again. In fact, I agree with a lot of what you say, so guess what, my passion comes from elsewhere :p.

Oh good grief! So what? We all had lots to do last weekend. The pair of you were too good to meet up with fellow cruisers from a forum you have chosen to converse with in cyber space? And you wonder why your receiving such a reception now? Seriously! In fact, I believe it was I who guided you to the roll call. Writing such rubbish makes me think of a new topic.

New topic.........S N O B B E R Y :p or is that N O B B E R Y :D

These cruise critic meet ups on ships are always impossible to guarantee. Just because I was not there does not make me a snob. When I cruise I go with the flow onboard, I rarely plan any event and take each day as it comes.

Radiance was a quick fast paced cruise with lots to do. Boarding, straight to the pool decks, swimming, sun, lifeboat drill, ship exploration, dinner, theatre show, firework display, sailaway....list goes on.

These cruise critic meet ups on ships are always impossible to guarantee. Just because I was not there does not make me a snob. When I cruise I go with the flow onboard, I rarely plan any event and take each day as it comes.

Radiance was a quick fast paced cruise with lots to do. Boarding, straight to the pool decks, swimming, sun, lifeboat drill, ship exploration, dinner, theatre show, firework display, sailaway....list goes on.

You always miss the point don't you. Pity, as I said previously, your posts scream of elitism and it would have been nice to meet you, even for 5 minutes at sailaway. Just mentioning your travel companions credentials (and I say again....who gives a toss) would fall into the "my shat don't stink" = snob category. "nuf said. Enjoy your P&O UK cruising and saving up for the tips :p

There is nothing elite about P&O UK.

Lines like Cunard, Celebrity, Crystal Cruises, Regent, Hapag Lloyd, HAL etc are getting up there where class distiction is common.

P&O UK has always been one class and an enjoyable cruise line with fantastic itineraries on World Cruises.

As I said I know 7 people who were on Pacific Sun. One couple got sick as their bathroom was pumping up black sludge on a continual basis into the entire bathroom floor (they have photos to prove it) - nothing was done, another group of 3 sharing had to endure a rotten smell of sewage infecting the cabin each night and the best advice they got was to sleep in the lounge. This was on the ill fated New Zealand cruise where the ship broke down. Another elderly couple with mobility difficulties were abused by reception staff after having their cabin down graded when they wanted their originally booked cabin. The staff yelled at them and said the ship was full and they didnt care.

Some of the people above have been with Princess, others it was their first time and never again. The 7 I knew actually worked with and knew several others on board that I do not know. Newcastle is a small place. People talk. The ship was not just broken down but it was in disgusting condition.

When I started cruising I chose P&O UK as they did world voyages that gave me the opportunity to see a greater range of places. I got hooked and have been back every year. I was intending to try P&O Australia this year but after all I heard about I decided to go to Ayers Rock instead.

There is nothing elite about P&O UK.

Lines like Cunard, Celebrity, Crystal Cruises, Regent, Hapag Lloyd, HAL etc are getting up there where class distiction is common.

P&O UK has always been one class and an enjoyable cruise line with fantastic itineraries on World Cruises.

As I said I know 7 people who were on Pacific Sun. One couple got sick as their bathroom was pumping up black sludge on a continual basis into the entire bathroom floor (they have photos to prove it) - nothing was done, another group of 3 sharing had to endure a rotten smell of sewage infecting the cabin each night and the best advice they got was to sleep in the lounge. This was on the ill fated New Zealand cruise where the ship broke down. Another elderly couple with mobility difficulties were abused by reception staff after having their cabin down graded when they wanted their originally booked cabin. The staff yelled at them and said the ship was full and they didnt care.

Some of the people above have been with Princess, others it was their first time and never again. The 7 I knew actually worked with and knew several others on board that I do not know. Newcastle is a small place. People talk. The ship was not just broken down but it was in disgusting condition.

When I started cruising I chose P&O UK as they did world voyages that gave me the opportunity to see a greater range of places. I got hooked and have been back every year. I was intending to try P&O Australia this year but after all I heard about I decided to go to Ayers Rock instead.

Hmmmm your still missing the point and at no point did I say P&O UK was full or elitism.

You've made your point about P&O.....and you continue to do so? Insecurity maybe? There are 3 other ships in the P&O fleet. We all know Pac Sun is a bucket and has huge problems. I've been on the other 3 and yup they're older and not as flash as many of the others I've been on. They suit some people, not me any longer. But to continue on and on and on and on.................................becomes kinda monotonous don't ya think? (rhetocial question, no need to reply :p)

OK time for some self disclosure here.

Not only do I wear a lanyard but I pack a hole punch in the side of my carry on so I do not have to wait to get a hole punched. Sad I know. :D My kids wear their lanyards as we check in because that is a sign we are going on a cruise.

I also like the Pacific Sun. She has problems and all ships do especially as they age. However, I do not book a cruise on her expecting the same quality I got on NCL or what I hope to get with RCI.

Does that make me less than anybody else? :confused: I think not. I like to holiday on different ships and have different experiences. This does not make me any worse than anybody else, even a truck driver.

Sorry but I have really had enough of all of this I am better than you talk happening here. Get a life I say.

OK time for some self disclosure here.

Not only do I wear a lanyard but I pack a hole punch in the side of my carry on so I do not have to wait to get a hole punched. Sad I know. :D My kids wear their lanyards as we check in because that is a sign we are going on a cruise.

I also like the Pacific Sun. She has problems and all ships do especially as they age. However, I do not book a cruise on her expecting the same quality I got on NCL or what I hope to get with RCI.

Does that make me less than anybody else? :confused: I think not. I like to holiday on different ships and have different experiences. This does not make me any worse than anybody else, even a truck driver.

Sorry but I have really had enough of all of this I am better than you talk happening here. Get a life I say.

I said Sutho needed to get a life about 100 posts ago :eek:.

We have all made the same points about Pacific Sun but as it is the cheapest P&O ship to sail on you accept that when booking.

At least the original poster will have some idea now about the differences between Australian and North American cruise ships.

I said Sutho needed to get a life about 100 posts ago :eek:.

We have all made the same points about Pacific Sun but as it is the cheapest P&O ship to sail on you accept that when booking.

At least the original poster will have some idea now about the differences between Australian and North American cruise ships.

By the looks of it my life is better than yours. 20 cruises before I am 30. Probably even seen more of the world and your 3 times older!

By the looks of it my life is better than yours. 20 cruises before I am 30. Probably even seen more of the world and your 3 times older!

Ok Sutho,

I have sat back and ignored your juvinille ranting, but that comment is rude and disrespectful - pull your head in or I'm sure that I and plenty of others here will do all that we can to have you removed from this board. That sort of comment is just not on.

Archived