Difference between Australian and American style cruising

My point is that it is possible to use intuition and decide for yourself the type of thing you will or will not like without having to try it do decide first.

You just don't get it - do you???

I agree completely with what you have said above.

BUT - having decided what it is that we don't want to do (like me also deciding that I don't think Bali would be my cup of tea), we don't then go and SLAG it loudly and publicly. Slagging something loudly and publicly that YOU have never personally experienced makes you look like a fool. Where we have all gone wrong here is that we have not followed the Golden Rule - "never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience!!"

Barry

What I really dont like is that Carnival is not investing the money in P&O Australia to really make it take off. It could have potential with newer ships. It was always owned by P&O UK and Princess and had to rely on their ships to survive, now that Carnival has their claws in the company they have not invested a new ship in the line at all, and this is the country where the money supposedly exists for cruising.

This is the country which only has 23 million people -- do you understand how much a new build costs?? Do you truly believe that the cruising habits of Australians could fully support the financial cost of a new build???

Barry

I got that too but apparently (conveniently, so there could be no mistake of their origins:rolleyes:) they were wearing P&O t-shirts.

NO - they weren't wearing P&O t-shirts . They were wearing t-shirts from this Australian based POSH club http://www.ecruising.travel/posh.aspx

(Sarcasm) For me, the fact that there have been so many reports of drunken yobbos and truck drivers being seen on RCL ships, I would never go on an RCL ship and everybody who does just doesn't have my level of cruising experience and/or intuition (/Sarcasm) :p

Barry

I am always polite and pleasant until it is time not to be at least that what my wife tells me ;)

And that's what I like about Americans:). Americans are my favourite "foreign" people - had a lot to do with them during my time in the Aussie military and always found that most of them wear their hearts on their sleeves and are generous. Except maybe for a couple of old cranky buggers I witnessed on QM2 - must have come from the North??? :)

Barry

NO - they weren't wearing P&O t-shirts . They were wearing t-shirts from this Australian based POSH club http://www.ecruising.travel/posh.aspx

(Sarcasm) For me, the fact that there have been so many reports of drunken yobbos and truck drivers being seen on RCL ships, I would never go on an RCL ship and everybody who does just doesn't have my level of cruising experience and/or intuition (/Sarcasm) :p

Barry

Yes why would i want to be confronted with that form of behaviour on ANY ship and i never have except at Dining Room tables where the nicest dressed person on the nicest grandest ship demands a piece of hot toast or i want my coffee now type (which is pretty much cant be met by busy waiters)

And yes there was P&O Advertising on these people (posh hats and P&0 T Shirts that i said in my original thread could have been picked up at their local Vinnes Shop or given to them by a relative) on the Radiance that simply bought my attention to P&O and Australian comments that have formed my opinion not to try P&O.Obviously it pays to advertise including many comments through out the pages of Cruisecritic and beyond.Perhaps if my first ship sailing was P&O Ship full of positive first impressions i wouldnt be involved in this thread per its Whats the difference heading.

Yes why would i want to be confronted with that form of behaviour on ANY ship and i never have except at Dining Room tables where the nicest dressed person on the nicest grandest ship demands a piece of hot toast or i want my coffee now type (which is pretty much cant be met by busy waiters)

And yes there was P&O Advertising on these people (posh hats and P&0 T Shirts that i said in my original thread could have been picked up at their local Vinnes Shop or given to them by a relative) on the Radiance that simply bought my attention to P&O and Australian comments that have formed my opinion not to try P&O.Obviously it pays to advertise including many comments through out the pages of Cruisecritic and beyond.Perhaps if my first ship sailing was P&O Ship full of positive first impressions i wouldnt be involved in this thread per its Whats the difference heading.

(Quote) through the advertised POSH Hats and T Shirt clothing they wore,however they might have been just unruly/rude Australians? (their clothing made me THINK what MAY happen on a P&O Australian ship,maybe they picked up their clothes in a Vinnies shop or by a relative? ) (quote)

In your first post (which I have quoted) on this topic you said they had POSH Hats and T Shirt clothing. You did not say they had P&O clothing. For some strange reason you assumed POSH was P&O. WRONG. POSH hats and shirts are given out by a travel agent to customers who book with them and I think it is highly likely the people involved booked their RCI cruise through that travel agent.

Fact - You saw Australian yobbos on a short cruise on RCI. There are four separate factors: Australians, yobbos, short cruise and RCI. I feel you have missed a basic point. Obviously not all Australians are yobbos, and not all yobbos are Australian. Australian yobbos are not exclusive to RCI - I am sure they could be found anywhere at any time. However they are much more likely to be found on short cruises (where they have more drinking money left over after paying for the fare) and are less likely found on an expensive cruiseline (HAL or Cunard although they don't have short cruises out of Australian ports).

From my experience on a lot of cruise lines, the security on P&O is more in evidence than on other cruiselines and this came about after the unfortunate woman died on a P&O cruiseship. However, she chose to go with one of the men to a cabin he shared with 3 others and the events took place there, not in a public space. Security could not have stopped it happening.

By the way, thanks everyone for the lively debate.:):)

I have traveled quite a bit both land-based and via ship but never on a non-USA owned line, so I would be excited to try an Australian-owned line for a true Australian experience. The casual, mostly non-formal attitude of P&O sounds wonderful to this casual gal. I have certainly enjoyed the American lines on which I have sailed, but I prefer casual and non-traditional as much as possible and some of our lines' cruisers take a dim view of casual, in my opinion.

I had a wonderful 19 days traveling in Australia. Folks were super-friendly, funny and helpful and didn't seem to mind that I did not like Vegemite. I also really appreciated that Australians, unlike some, welcomed this USA citizen based solely on my OWN merits (assuming I have any) and NOT on my government or its policies. Long live Australian tolerance and common sense!

You can come back! LOL :D

Barry

Just as well you were being sarcastic Barry. My DH is a truck driver and he looks wonderful in his tuxedo on formal night, he doesn't even own a pair of stubbies or thongs let alone a blue singlet. ;) He is a true gentleman and abhors bad behaviour!

And that's what I like about Americans:). Americans are my favourite "foreign" people - had a lot to do with them during my time in the Aussie military and always found that most of them wear their hearts on their sleeves and are generous. Except maybe for a couple of old cranky buggers I witnessed on QM2 - must have come from the North??? :)

Barry

I have to agree with you Barry..... Americans are my favourite (even though they can't spell favourite properly) "foreign" people too. Can't wait to get back there in April. There will always be a couple of "cranky Frankies" onboard every ship.... I laugh at them (which probably makes them crankier!) :eek:

I have done 8 short cruises and another one in three weeks. These were on P & O Australia, P & O UK and Princess. I found the worst behaviour encountered was the lack of dress sense in the MDR. Shocking!!!! :rolleyes: The young 20+ were having a good time and why not, people mostly laughed with them. They were having fun and enjoying themselves.

I must say that the short cruises are entirely different to the long ones, people try and cram as much into a short cruise as possible. We tend to use them as a weekend away (better than going to the Goldie) but we still enjoy them very much. I don't care if it is P & O or Princess, if the price is right for these little cruises we jump at it.

Generalising bad behaviour to a certain cruiseline is just plain ignorance, especially if you haven't been on it to see if your assumptions are correct. In this instance the old saying "ignorance is bliss" is just downright silly.

I think there is enough evidence that the Australian market can sustain a new build ship.

In recent years we have seen a massive boom in cruise ships coming here.

From 2003 it started with the modern giants like Star Princess, Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess, Celebrity has followed with their Millennium at some stage. HAL also based a ship down here for the summer.

In current years we are seeing Radiance of the Seas turn up, Rhapsody of the Seas was apparantly so successfull that it prompted RCI to send Radiance and now Voyager of the Seas is coming next year. Carnival has responded with Carnival Spirit.

Princess has found the capacity to base the Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and Sea Princess down here.

All of the above ships are pulling in a substancial number of Australian passengers - many of whom overlook P&O Australia just to sail on these modern wonders.

I can find it highly likely that if P&O Australia was to take delivery of a new build and market it like the others then it would find the passengers for it and also start to draw more of an international crowd.

The numbers of Australians cruising speaks for itself. Seeing the ships we have here today I could never have predicted 5 years ago.

I have a silly question which I hope some of you can help provide me with what the specifics are.

I was watching a promotion video for Princess cruises for the Australian market on YouTube, and the voice over said something like "Princess brings you luxurious American style cruising to Australia"

Several years ago I was chatting with an Australian on a Celebrity Mexican Riviera cruise, and he made the specific recommendation that if I ever take a Cruise in and around Australia, to do it on one of the American lines.

Wo can anybody tell me what the difference is between "American Style" cruising and "non-American style" or Australian Style cruising in and around Australia??

I have not posted before but I felt I had to answer your query.

I have been on P&O UK, Royal Caribbean and had the misfortune to cruise with P&O Australia as whilst living in Australia sometimes it is the only option.

Having had experience of the classy P&O UK ships I looked forward with anticipation to cruising on the Sun.

Although knowing they operate older ships that are generally too old for the US or UK market, I did not expect what was in store.

I don't know if you have working man's clubs in the US but P&O Australia operate floating versions of these.

If that is what interests you fair enough but be prepared on formal nights to be one of the 0.5% of passengers that are dressed up and also see people in the dining rooms with shorts and sandals at dinner.

I would stick with your US type cruising experience if I were you, you may or may not pay more but there is no comparison.

Colin

I have been on P&O UK, Royal Caribbean and had the misfortune to cruise with P&O Australia as whilst living in Australia sometimes it is the only option.

Having had experience of the classy P&O UK ships I looked forward with anticipation to cruising on the Sun.

Although knowing they operate older ships that are generally too old for the US or UK market, I did not expect what was in store.

I don't know if you have working man's clubs in the US but P&O Australia operate floating versions of these.

If that is what interests you fair enough but be prepared on formal nights to be one of the 0.5% of passengers that are dressed up and also see people in the dining rooms with shorts and sandals at dinner.

I would stick with your US type cruising experience if I were you, you may or may not pay more but there is no comparison.

Colin

If you are so interested in putting down P & O Australia ships and say you have travelled on P & O UK and RCCI ships...... why do you put P & O Australia as your favourite cruiseline in your profile :eek:

I do, however, agree with you about the dress sense in the MDR but I think you will find that these would be first time cruisers and therefore would have no idea what the dress standard expected would be. I have been on short cruises on Princess where the blue cards have made up 85% of the passenger ratio.

Colin

That hasn't been the case on our (roughly) 25 cruises on P&O, although we have noticed in the last couple of years since 'formal' nights have been changed to 'cocktail' nights that there are virtually no tuxes worn by the men. Most wear either a lounge suit or maybe just a long sleeve shirt and tie. The women seem to go to more trouble and most wear lovely clothes on formal nights. There are quite a few long dresses, but not ones I would describe as 'ball gowns'. By my estimate it would be 0.5% of passengers who don't comply with the dress standard of 'cocktail'.

As for shorts and sandals at dinner, I have seen passengers turned away. I know someone who was turned away from afternoon tea on the Pacific Sun because he was wearing shorts and thongs. :) That was only a year or so ago. Frankly, I think the staff member who refused him entry was in error, but why argue. :)

If you are so interested in putting down P & O Australia ships and say you have travelled on P & O UK and RCCI ships...... why do you put P & O Australia as your favourite cruiseline in your profile :eek:

I do' date=' however, agree with you about the dress sense in the MDR but I think you will find that these would be first time cruisers and therefore would have no idea what the dress standard expected would be. I have been on short cruises on Princess where the blue cards have made up 85% of the passenger ratio.[/quote']

Eilleen I'm not putting them down, just saying there is no comparison.

I have had some great nights out in working men's clubs. It's just not what I want to do on a cruising holiday.

Bit new to all this posting thing I thought it meant to put in your local cruiseline in the profile.

Maybe I should try Princess then.

Colin

That hasn't been the case on our (roughly) 25 cruises on P&O, although we have noticed in the last couple of years since 'formal' nights have been changed to 'cocktail' nights that there are virtually no tuxes worn by the men. Most wear either a lounge suit or maybe just a long sleeve shirt and tie. The women seem to go to more trouble and most wear lovely clothes on formal nights. There are quite a few long dresses, but not ones I would describe as 'ball gowns'. By my estimate it would be 0.5% of passengers who don't comply with the dress standard of 'cocktail'.

As for shorts and sandals at dinner, I have seen passengers turned away. I know someone who was turned away from afternoon tea on the Pacific Sun because he was wearing shorts and thongs. :) That was only a year or so ago. Frankly, I think the staff member who refused him entry was in error, but why argue. :)

Wow looks like I should give the Sun another go then.

By the way what is that awful smell that emanates below deck on the Sun when there is a slight swell?

Colin

I have had some great nights out in working men's clubs. It's just not what I want to do on a cruising holiday.

Bit new to all this posting thing I thought it meant to put in your local cruiseline in the profile.

Colin

Princess is certainly a bit more 'dressy'. It attracts an older demographic, but with any cruise line the age of passengers is very dependent on the length of the cruise. I had better not talk any more about 2-night cruises!!:) On our recent 46 night Princess cruise maybe a quarter or a third of the men had on a tux on formal night and everyone was dressed well. For instance, New Zealand cruises attract an older average group than Pacific Island cruises.

Colin

Princess IMHO has an older demographic who also IMHO tend to enjoy dressing up for the MDR. Not everyone, mind you, but the majority. Maybe you should try Princess..... but not a 2 nighter..... make it a longer cruise. Maybe then you will see why we love Princess so much - Australia and US. :D AND NO I am not saying I don't like P & O, far from it, any cruise is better than no cruise and you can either go with the flow and enjoy it or pick the eyes out of it and have a lousy time..... an individuals choice (those that wish to actually try it and not make decisions on heresay that is).

I suppose the real issue here is this:

If you were used to the quality and standard of the US cruise ships that generally are newer and have all the latest innovations, in your right mind if you have the choice, would you choose to cruise on the ships that are based in our waters or stay with the US based ships that visit?

ie, Sun or the Jewel versus Diamond Princess or the Radiance

Cruising Colin

I suppose the real issue here is this:

If you were used to the quality and standard of the US cruise ships that generally are newer and have all the latest innovations, in your right mind if you have the choice, would you choose to cruise on the ships that are based in our waters or stay with the US based ships that visit?

ie, Sun or the Jewel versus Diamond Princess or the Radiance

Cruising Colin

It depends what you look for in a cruise.

I think there are many elements that make a good cruise, and I will try to put them in the order that is important to me (other people will have different priorities) -

Itinerary, price, weather, staff (how they treat me), the ship, and other passengers (cruising with friends or make friends on board).

We have cruised on ships out of American ports (3 cruises) and I can honestly say they weren't any better than our cruises on the Pacific Sun or other ships here. Yes - I loved our Verandah Suite on HAL, and cruising in the Caribbean, but I have also enjoyed cruises on other ships and in other parts of the world (love Tahiti!!).

I would have to say that our American dinner companions on HAL were quite pretentious with the lady every evening showing us her jewellery (what do you think of my ???) and implying how much it cost and her husband continually talking about his enormous SUV. That is just two people who apparently felt that had to work hard to impress, and it does not mean that everyone on HAL is like that. If I suggested that it would be like people who encounter someone on a cruise locally and tar all Aussies with the same brush. :D:D

Luckily we don't all like the same thing, otherwise my cruises on P&O Aust and Princess Aust would be more expensive.

I do' date=' however, agree with you about the dress sense in the MDR but I think you will find that these would be first time cruisers and therefore would have no idea what the dress standard expected would be. I have been on short cruises on Princess where the blue cards have made up 85% of the passenger ratio.[/quote']

Profile actually says anything but P&O AUSTRALIA

To me 'American style' versus 'Australian style' is noticable in all areas of hospitality, not just cruising.

Australian style to me is more laid back service, which can be interpreted by some as lax, and almost always poorer value. Australians will generally accept a lower standard, especially if they have not experience better, because they don't want to cause a scene or attract too much attention. There are less of us so we often have to just take the what we can get. We don't have the competiton or number of consumers to improve value or standards.

Americans know how to serve a customer because they are a nation of people who have been taught that money talks. They are not afraid to complain or expect top notch, even when paying bargain prices. They are the customer and that is what they have been taught is important.

Colin

Do you mean (GASP! GASP!) - a working man's club - like- like - an RSL club??? SHOCK! Horror! :eek::eek: Oh - the ignominy of it. You should make sure that you wear some kind of mask if you go onboard a P&O AUS ship. You wouldn't want to be recognised frequenting a floating version of a ( I can hardly bear to say it ) -- a - a - a - RSL club!!!!:rolleyes:

Barry

To me 'American style' versus 'Australian style' is noticable in all areas of hospitality, not just cruising.

Australian style to me is more laid back service, which can be interpreted by some as lax, and almost always poorer value. Australians will generally accept a lower standard, especially if they have not experience better, because they don't want to cause a scene or attract too much attention. There are less of us so we often have to just take the what we can get. We don't have the competiton or number of consumers to improve value or standards.

Americans know how to serve a customer because they are a nation of people who have been taught that money talks. They are not afraid to complain or expect top notch, even when paying bargain prices. They are the customer and that is what they have been taught is important.

I have heard virtually no complaints about the service on 'Australian' cruise ships. Everyone says the service is superb.

The complaints are that the ships are old and rust-buckets. (No complaints from me on this score.) I don't mind if the ship is a bit older and I have never cruise on a rust-bucket.

Archived