What foods should I try on board?

Sonicked

Ditto for the escargot! Also try the chilled soups, the duck and the lamb shank. For dessert: the creme brulee and warm chocolate cake with roasted pears. If you really want a special meal -- try Portofino!

Enjoy!!!

Yes we love the lamb too!

lamb.jpg.6c5cfff591dddbf14e23ca515d1c1e99.jpg

I'm sailing next week on Rhapsody (9 nights, South Pacific) and am actually quite eager to try something different. I'm a bit of a home-body in terms of food but am really open to new ideas and flavours.

What can you recommend that is a definite I should try?

Everything.

I'm actually not being facetious. It's the perfect time & circumstance to try things that you wouldn't at home because if you hate them, you can get a replacement. My kid finally chose to believe me about somethings I told him he would like on his last Mariner cruise and now gets mad when I'm surprised he likes them. I finally got around to trying escargot on a cruise and, while they're not something I will seek out, they're not something I will run screaming from the room about either. But, OTOH, ain't never gonna try liver (which I haven't seen on a cruise menu so it's moot).

Pretty much if they don't have something that calls to you and it's not something that inherently repulses you, give it a try. If not, have the beef & tip your waitress. (Before anyone gets all ruffled, that last was a Catskills reference.)

Don't get your hopes up too much....it's pretty much banquet food (That's the only way to feed thousands of people in just a couple of hours). It's OK, and you won't go hungry....but it's just banquet food.

Wow, how negative of you.

You may not enjoy the food on board, but it's unfair to assume that I won't, or that other people won't.

Take your negativity elsewhere, please, because it sure isn't wanted here.

You may not enjoy the food on board, but it's unfair to assume that I won't, or that other people won't.

I totally agree with you. And, even if one wants to put the best spin on the previous post, it doesn't matter if it's "just banquet food", if you haven't had it, it's a chance to broaden your horizons.

I am well up to trying creme brulee, as I have never had it, but do quite enjoy the one from Ben&Jerry's! :p

Creme Brulee is definitely one of my favourite deserts. The creme/custard is always so deliciously velvety and sweet, and the crunch of the toffee on top it always delightful. I can't ever turn down a Creme brulee if it's on the menu.

Definitely give it a go :)

Don't get your hopes up too much....it's pretty much banquet food (That's the only way to feed thousands of people in just a couple of hours). It's OK, and you won't go hungry....but it's just banquet food.

I have never been to a banquet where I was provided a caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, escargot (the appetizers) .... main dinners of lobster tail and prime rib with assorted veggies and potatoes, and multiple desserts. And these were not the only options. Could have had crab appetizer, pasta dishes, chicken, etc etc

Now let's talk service. Our wait staff was exceptionally good, making the experience all the more enjoyable.

ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING LIKE A BANQUET, FOOD WISE OR SERVICE WISE.

You are right. How dare someone suggest mass market cruise line food isn't amazing.:rolleyes:

the types of food depend on cruise line...some have destination-themed dining, some tailor for e.g. pro-USA / pro-British / pro-Italian dishes.

my advice would be 'experiment', but - if you get the chance - liquorice flavoured ice cream is a delight (but i'm a Brit, & these are great childhood memories!!):p

Since the menu has not really changed, this time I tried some of the Indian/veggie meals and I loved them! The rice was a bit salty one time but the next time it was okay so it was probably just someone in the kitchen who put too much in the water.

I LOVED the tenderloin but NOT the prime rib.

I love Indian food and made the comment to our server that it would be great if they had a chicken or lamb dish on the menu. The next night he brought a dish from the employee dinner servings that was a amazing Chicken Tikka Masala. Wish I could order things from their buffet when hearing of some of the food they make for each other.

Archived