What foods should I try on board?

Sonicked

Escargot?? I know what it is, which makes me hesitant to try. So please tell me what it tastes like. I really hate to be wasteful and order something I may not be able to eat.
How very refreshing to see a post saying they do not order in a helter skelter manner including multiples of each of the various courses offered. I've read several of the books written by cruise employees and their comments about those who do so are not flattering.

Our friends all order escargot, love it but not me. I'll save the

butter for a little on lobster night. :-) Let me flaming begin ... (And when food is mentioned, I always think of the reply by the heart surgeon who said "let me send you my card.")

Try things you have never heard of or that "look interesting"

On my first RCI Cruise years ago I asked about the baked beans served in the Windjammer for breakfast and was told that Europeans like them. I do too now!

Sometime back I posted up a bunch of my food photos from my many RCI cruises in the thread below. You might find it interesting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218003

Escargot?? I know what it is, which makes me hesitant to try. So please tell me what it tastes like. I really hate to be wasteful and order something I may not be able to eat.

The texture resembles clams,with a buttery , earthy mushroomy like flavor.

The texture resembles clams,with a buttery , earthy mushroomy like flavor.

I think they are more "rubbery" (for lack of a better word) than clams and they usually have a lot of garlic, which is often the very dominant flavor. :)

How very refreshing to see a post saying they do not order in a helter skelter manner including multiples of each of the various courses offered.

:confused: Just curious. What specifically is ordering

"in a helter skelter manner":confused:?

I really hate to be wasteful and order something I may not be able to eat.

No food ever goes to waste on a cruise ship, so you need not be concerned.

What you do not eat gets eaten by some other creature of our ecosystem.

Therefore, if you are interested in trying something, be sure to order it.

Just do not order it "helter skeltery".:rolleyes:

Try things you have never heard of or that "look interesting"

On my first RCI Cruise years ago I asked about the baked beans served in the Windjammer for breakfast and was told that Europeans like them. I do too now!

Sometime back I posted up a bunch of my food photos from my many RCI cruises in the thread below. You might find it interesting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218003

Thanks, Trainman! I just gained 5kg and no longer fit in my swimsuit. :D

Really though, your photos are lovely. You did really well to make your plates still look pretty, too. :)

Note to Trainman-2

Jim, We met in the concierge lounge on Oasis a few weeks ago. You were going to send me some info on your model railroad projects and the

Kings Road research project. Will you please send me that info? Looking forward to reading more about Kings Road.

Thanks,

Mark

mgoecke@suddenlink dot net

I'm sailing next week on Rhapsody (9 nights, South Pacific) and am actually quite eager to try something different. I'm a bit of a home-body in terms of food but am really open to new ideas and flavours.

What can you recommend that is a definite I should try?

In all of our years of cruising, we've never once had a bad seafood dish. We love the sea bass, any tilapia entree, garlic shrimp, grilled salmon, etc. On our last cruise, a family member ordered the mushroom fettucini alfredo and let each of us sample. SO good! On another thread, it says that you can order any of the pasta dishes as an appetizer and get a smaller serving.

I have tried Escargot on every cruise I have been on, and every time it was the same. If not for all the butter and garlic in the sauce, it would be like eating Silly Putty. I, for one, am not a fan of the "delicacy".

:confused: Just curious. What specifically is ordering

"in a helter skelter manner":confused:?

It is when you order so much, that after you are done eating you yell "I've got blisters on my fingers!"

Vidallia onion tart, scallop risotto, lobster bisque, crab cakes & french onion soup. I also ordered the pasta with marina sauce for my appetizer one night when I did not care for any appetizers listed on the menu.

French onion soup was really good on Voyager this past week.

The desserts were much better than most of my previous cruises. Both in Windjammer and MDR.

The salad bar in the MDR at lunch.

The granola bar in the MDR at breakfast.

Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Not on the menu but available everyday but the last day.

Sorry but I had to make these 2 suggestions bigger. OMG the lunch non self serve salad buffet is good.

Plus breakfast in the MDR is so nice and relaxing. Really eating in the MDR for breakfast and lunch is a wonderful treat.

Both have buffets or menu selections or a combination of both. Fantastic!

I give another vote for the vidalia onion tart served only on the first night. It is more like a quiche and not too oniony. Delicious, and I've never seen it on any other restaurant menu, (but I don't eat out very often) I had several of my friends try it for their first time on RCI and all liked it very much also. Jim

Tastes like chicken:eek:

Four Months ago, I was in the same position, and posed the exact same question as the OP. I also was encouraged to try the escargot, which I did. They were tasty, but the predominant flavor was just of the copious amount of very garlicky butter they were nestled in, which I chose not to finish since I was attempting to stay in "semi-maintenance mode" from the pre-cruise diet I'd been on. The snails themselves were actually rather bland, but to me faintly resembled mild beef in flavor and texture, more so than either chicken or seafood. I was glad I tried them, as I would never have the opportunity to do so anywhere other than while on a cruise.

Since the menu has not really changed, this time I tried some of the Indian/veggie meals and I loved them! The rice was a bit salty one time but the next time it was okay so it was probably just someone in the kitchen who put too much in the water.

I LOVED the tenderloin but NOT the prime rib.

"I think they are more "rubbery" (for lack of a better word) than clams and they usually have a lot of garlic, which is often the very dominant flavor."
If that's the case then it's over-cooked and you should send it back. Maybe I just got lucky so far but I've never had a 'rubbery' escargot on a cruise ship and hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.

Archived