Bit of a blog – Navigator of the Seas – E Caribbean – 8 nights – 26th November 2011

I am eagerly following your blog and comments NorbertsNiece and THANK YOU so much for all the great information and pix. It would be very helpful if you would advise what is the best time to arrive at port and give any other advice about boarding. My husband is disabled (recovering from back surgery) and I am so concerned about long waits in line and bumping or difficulty in him maneuvering, especially if they are not enough wheelchairs. RCCL customer service says seek out pier assist but it sounds like they are overwhelmed.

Really? Did you read the post by tarheel? What was he writing about? Give me a break.:rolleyes:

He posted after I made my comment and mine was about the port not the ship. He also posted after your comment so how can make a comment about the ship before you read it........Going on Nav on Dec 10 and I have no problem. Been on many RCC and also love Nav. I thougt this post was so we could see her trip... why has Tarheel highjack it and spoiled our enjoyment of it. All it has done is stirred up a hornets nest.

I read Tarheel's review and actually it reassured me. I didn't see a ship problem in that review. It seemed it was some problem with interpersonal relationship skills. The biggest problem was the silly girl passengers. Not knowing the attitude of the writer I would not immediately assume the crew was at fault. I've witnessed so much rude behavior by guests towards crew, the crew generally takes it, but there may be a breaking point eventually.

I know that guests are not to take drinks off of serving trays. And they are not to expect servers to take used glasses onto a tray of new drinks. Some guests go nuts when crew won't break the rules for them. I'm not saying tarheel did this.

I've also seen drinkers think they did one thing and actually they did another. I've been known to think one thing and say another. I recently wrote "port canaveral" when I was thinking "port everglades". ( I was not drinking :) ) Had I not seen it in writing, I'd have never believed I wrote that.

I'll be on board this month and am eagerly looking forward to checking out the situation. My last cruise has set the bar quite high for any future crew. :)

By the way, my first cruise ever was on Navigator and I read some really bad reviews prior to going. I was shocked to find out how wrong they were. I don't take most reviews very seriously unless I know the reviewer.

Gina

Well said Gina. I was on a cruise with you last year Serenade. The solo B day cruiser. Going on Nav Dec 10. Pat

I'll be on board this month and am eagerly looking forward to checking out the situation. My last cruise has set the bar quite high for any future crew. :)

By the way, my first cruise ever was on Navigator and I read some really bad reviews prior to going. I was shocked to find out how wrong they were. I don't take most reviews very seriously unless I know the reviewer.

Gina

I am eagerly looking forward to you checking out the situation also!;):)

He posted after I made my comment and mine was about the port not the ship. He also posted after your comment so how can make a comment about the ship before you read it........Going on Nav on Dec 10 and I have no problem. Been on many RCC and also love Nav. I thougt this post was so we could see her trip... why has Tarheel highjack it and spoiled our enjoyment of it. All it has done is stirred up a hornets nest.

I guess because I had already read another thread where the problems were alluded to. Look, I agree with everything that Mommabean said also. And I am well aware that one sailing, and one departure, can be a complete disaster at times and can have nothing to do with the "norm" as I, also, have done quite a few RCI cruises. I have also read reviews by people who were on the same cruise as I was and wondered if we had really been on the same ship. So I do take posts like that with a grain of salt. I'm just a little edgy about booking this cruise after having sailed on Oasis. And those embarcation pictures and tarheel's post are not helping the situation!:eek::D:D

I also have cruised out of Miami many times and never a nightmare. RCI has a great terminal in Miami and they should be using that in place of a shed like we have seen above. It's not hard to find the port of Miami when driving.

The only reason that RCI has placed all their ships in FLL is due to the contract signed between RCCL and the port to bring in a certain number of passengers a year for a period of time. This was part of the agreement to build terminal 18.

Steve and I love sailing out of Miami, have never had a problem and we so enjoy the pre cruise time that we spend there!

Thank you!!!! I'm enjoying your blog :D

It was raining a bit when I went up on deck earlier.... no sign of any beer coolers at that time, sorry.

Oh boy..is this what I have to look forward to next Sunday???

I am eagerly following your blog and comments NorbertsNiece and THANK YOU so much for all the great information and pix. It would be very helpful if you would advise what is the best time to arrive at port and give any other advice about boarding. My husband is disabled (recovering from back surgery) and I am so concerned about long waits in line and bumping or difficulty in him maneuvering, especially if they are not enough wheelchairs. RCCL customer service says seek out pier assist but it sounds like they are overwhelmed.

This was a one off (she says hopefully). I heard today that Rccl personnel were not allowed off the ship to assist. Someone from the roll call has spoken to the person who deals with embarkation and disembarkation. Apparently someone on the coast guard inspection was being intransigent. Still no clear idea of to whom complaints should be raised. Will look into his further and report back. I would still recommend getting there early.

If your husband needs a wheelchair you should bring your own. Do not rely on there being sufficient on board for your use. I have details of a good hire company should you require (been there done that). Let me know :)

Hi Linda,

Can I ask you to comment on this after your cruise? Sorry I don't mean to make you think of this already.... :o We will be on the Navigator in a few months and would like to carry our luggage off. I am curious to find out how long of a walk it is or how organized this part of Terminal 29 is.

Thank you,

Donna

This was a one off (she says hopefully). I heard today that Rccl personnel were not allowed off the ship to assist. Someone from the roll call has spoken to the person who deals with embarkation and disembarkation. Apparently someone on the coast guard inspection was being intransigent. Still no clear idea of to whom complaints should be raised. Will look into his further and report back. I would still recommend getting there early.

If your husband needs a wheelchair you should bring your own. Do not rely on there being sufficient on board for your use. I have details of a good hire company should you require (been there done that). Let me know :)

NN, yes please give me info about a good hire company and any information you do find out about who best to contact at the pier, etc.. Is there seating available for early arrivals and what time is the seating available? Best guess is fine? Is there priority (suite) check-in? While future embarkations should get better, a review of information on this terminal points to an ongoing issue of inadequate facilities, i.e., number of spaces available for cars/taxis to drop off and pick up passengers. Also the terminal is behind the convention center and when it has large crowds, access to the terminal is effected.

It was raining a bit when I went up on deck earlier.... no sign of any beer coolers at that time, sorry.

Linda, thanks for taking time out of your day to share your cruise with us. Hope you have a great rest of your cruise--has the weather improved yet?

Linda,

There will be a survey in your room at the end of the cruise. On it will be a place to mark how you thought embarkation was along with other aspects of it including how you were treated by RCI personnel. You options to mark will be from excellent down to poor. You know what you need to mark down.

When you get home you should also go to the RCI website and scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "contact us" link. There you will have the opportunity to put it all in writing. Be specific and don't bring unimportant things into it. You will have 5000 characters to let them know what you thought of the whole situation.

Gina

We rented a collapsible scooter from our home location and it was a godsend for my mother. Everyone should prepare for their own needs and comfort. Don't be mislead that there will be someone to assist you. Anything can happen once the crowd hits. That includes snacks, bring a bottle of water or anything else you feel you might need in the heat. You are your own best friend in travel.

Main pool is in use this morning:

308970_10150981312980352_617355351_21888583_273915679_n.jpg

Some time later :

Our M&M was fun but rather disorganised IMO. Dan, the CD was ‘in charge’ and he was assisted by a crew member who had a hard time getting refreshments provided.

They held a raffle. I won nothing this time…. was mostly RCCL items and a sole bottle of champagne. Door gift was the usual hang it around your neck notepad. I got hold of the mike and tried to remember as many of the organised activities that were coming up…. didn’t do a great job with that as I wasn’t prepared. I did bring up this blog and the response our embarkation had evinced. I got a round of applause. Hmmm. People came up to me subsequently and thanked me for raising the matter, but I haven’t really so must do something about that. We had a group pic taken by the official photographer; not everyone went for that so it’s mostly the active roll call people. I’ll pop in a pic that I took.

378575_10150981316395352_617355351_21888602_1914439238_n.jpg

We then had the room crawl.

My room was 2nd on the list and there was much interest in my PR and the view. The walk to all the other rooms was well planned with the shortest possible distance to be covered but by the end I was exhausted. Some folk had sweets and little cakes provided but the highlight for me was visiting an Owner’s Suite, the last room on the list. Our host provided champagne, wine and a table laden with appetizers. So thoughtful and so very much appreciated.

378094_10150981319345352_617355351_21888622_1861789771_a.jpg

Lunch in the Windjammer. Turkey, gravy (yes I know I shouldn’t and I soon regretted it ut it was gooood), mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and a salad. Very nice.

Roll call slot pull. There were 55 of us for that. We broke even! Was great fun!

I was missed at a Trivia competition this morning but made up by being spectacularly useless at a Rock Music Trivia quiz this afternoon. I can sing the songs but can I remember the artist? Nope.

I visit Explorations and sort out a transfer to Miami on embarkation day via Sawgrass Mills Mall. I have three DDs, a SIL and a grandbaby to shop for. I then speak to a Front Desk Manager and register my complaint about embarkation formally. She informs me that water had been provided for those outside. This was news to me. I subsequently found out that there was some water near the door where people entered the building; this was not made available to all and none had been distributed. Will let you know what response I get, if any.

Casual dinner. Smoked duck salad, Osso Bucco (gluten free gravy is…. bland), some specially made for me over sweet peach dessert thing which I left. I drank the B52 mixed in with a cup of coffee. Very nice.

Love and marriage show coming up shortly. Am out on an independent tour of St Maarten tomorrow and have an early start. Memo to self…. set the alarm… or better still get Room Service to deliver breakfast!

NN, yes please give me info about a good hire company and any information you do find out about who best to contact at the pier, etc.. Is there seating available for early arrivals and what time is the seating available? Best guess is fine? Is there priority (suite) check-in? While future embarkations should get better, a review of information on this terminal points to an ongoing issue of inadequate facilities, i.e., number of spaces available for cars/taxis to drop off and pick up passengers. Also the terminal is behind the convention center and when it has large crowds, access to the terminal is effected.

There is priority suite check in once in terminal

Linda,

There will be a survey in your room at the end of the cruise. On it will be a place to mark how you thought embarkation was along with other aspects of it including how you were treated by RCI personnel. You options to mark will be from excellent down to poor. You know what you need to mark down.

When you get home you should also go to the RCI website and scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "contact us" link. There you will have the opportunity to put it all in writing. Be specific and don't bring unimportant things into it. You will have 5000 characters to let them know what you thought of the whole situation.

Gina

I've done this in the past and even got a call from RCC for more details and a follow up letter on the situation. Do It.

...... I heard today that Rccl personnel were not allowed off the ship to assist.

:)

Hello Linda,

thank you very much for your posts and information and some of your pictures are worth thousands of words.

We will be following your foot steps in less than two weeks.

I do feel bad about the embarkation process - your picture shows so many people in this long line and some probably were older or not in the best health........ but I do not think it was the cruise line's fault.

I am not sure about this, but I believe it is the port authority that controls everything in the port and no one from the ship can provide any assistance.

So once the ship was hit with the inspection everything stoped: no guests were allowed to enter the ship and the hundreds that kept arriving had no place to go.

It seems to me that situation has to be corrected by the port authority. RCCL probbably has a lot more leverage than we do but if we contact the port authority - it might help a little.

I am sure no cruise line wants to see this mess on their embarkation.

Please keep on posting.

Wes

Archived